Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2009, 17:32   #31
BHPian

Great review GTO & nice pics too! It is good that Toyota is upping its game and Honda can not fall behind! Only grouse is that some outdated specs being doled out at such a huge price tag!
Old 5th September 2009, 17:41   #32
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Guys, don't miss Rehaan's excellent video walkaround & synopsis of the Fortuner. It's been uploaded to the first page in post no.10!
Old 5th September 2009, 17:46   #33
Senior - BHPian

Wow, what a review, way way better than any Mag or TV channel but then that is to be expected on tbhp.

I did notice several comments about engine noise in the cabin. Is it significantly more than Innova ? Also, regarding the bumpy ride, it an issue only on undulations on smooth surfaces or on slightly broken tarmac as well ?
Old 5th September 2009, 17:53   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I opened & shut the tail gate atleast a dozen times and don't remember making a note of any difficulty at all.
What is the mechanism to pull down the tail gate? As in, is there some kind of rubber hangy to pull the tail gate down? How easy is it to reach out for it? Do you think women would have a problem reaching upto the tail gate to close it?

It's a lovely car! First the Innova and now the Fortuner. My list of 'must buy' cars in India consists of two Toyota's now . Hopefully, someday in the near future, I will be able to cruise in my own Fortuner.
Old 5th September 2009, 18:04   #35
BHPian

5 star review again GTO .

Now time for Toyota to heat up the sub 10 lakh segment with a killer offering...
Old 5th September 2009, 18:28   #36
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondadude View Post
...I did notice several comments about engine noise in the cabin. Is it significantly more than Innova ?
There is much less engine noise in the fortuner cabin when compared to the Innova. Especially if you stay in the torque band and do no lug the engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondadude View Post
...Also, regarding the bumpy ride, it an issue only on undulations on smooth surfaces or on slightly broken tarmac as well ?
The suspension is firm, so it picks up the smaller details in the road - like expansion joints on the expressway or broken tarmac for example.
On smooth surfaces, larger ups and downs in the road are handled with poise since the firm suspension does not bob up and down repeatedly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
What is the mechanism to pull down the tail gate? As in, is there some kind of rubber hangy to pull the tail gate down? How easy is it to reach out for it? Do you think women would have a problem reaching upto the tail gate to close it? ....
Amit,

There is a indented plastic grab handle on the tailgate (the opening facing the ground when the tailgate is closed).

I did notice that there was a fair bit of resistance when pulling the door down, however, since its pulling its not much of a problem (as opposed to lifting/pushing).

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 5th September 2009 at 18:31.
Old 5th September 2009, 18:47   #37
Senior - BHPian

Great review and pictures as usual GTO. I just made my father read it too and now he is all the more encouraged to get one. He has seen the white, grey and black in person and does not care which colour the car is in. Even though the manual is a bit discourageing considering the fact that everyone at home is now used to the auto box, he sees no point in waiting for toyota to release the auto variant. So looks like the Fortuner is coming home.
Old 5th September 2009, 18:50   #38
Senior - BHPian

They really could have given a cheaper 2WD option. Dunno why Toyota missed out on that.
Old 5th September 2009, 19:01   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

@ GTO : Havent driven it yet. I asked madhuban Toyota to send the car over, they said they don't have a TD yet. But before I put the money down I will certainly TD it.

@ Speedy : I thought I read somewhere that you had already made a booking. Let me know if you manage a decently short wait period. I have been trying to book but 6-months waiting is putting me off.
Old 5th September 2009, 19:08   #40
Senior - BHPian

GTO

thanks for the amazingly detailed review and you have covered each and every part.

This review is going to help a lot of people in making up their minds as there is a waiting period and non-availability of TD vehicles due to huge demand and less supply.

Will wait for your review on soon to be launched Endy before deciding.

cheers
Old 5th September 2009, 19:19   #41
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
They really could have given a cheaper 2WD option. Dunno why Toyota missed out on that.
Exaclty something i was thinking about as well. Given that not many people are actually going to use the 4WD, and the full-tme 4WD isn't really adding value.

Advantages of the 2wd would be :
- Better FE
- Lighter (better FE and other advantages)
- Cheaper

Pretty much everything the indian buyer wants (over 4wd).

cya
R
Old 5th September 2009, 19:30   #42
GTO
Team-BHP Support

^^ I don't believe the Fortuner 3.0 is sold anywhere with a 4x2. Plus, it's yet another differentiator between itself and the Innova.
Old 5th September 2009, 19:40   #43

GTO

Fortuner sold in Philippines has a 2.7 liter Petrol engine with auto transmission is 2 wheel drive, all diesel engine fortuners are permanent 4 wheel drive.
Old 5th September 2009, 19:41   #44
BHPian

the cigeratte lighter & the switches near it looks like those in the old ambys.mostly this kind of work is done in coimbatore.
i am sorry i am just not excited about the car.
Old 5th September 2009, 20:16   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp1 View Post
-Absence of a shift on to fly unit for 4x4.
-Absence of tray/net in the boot.
Shift on the fly is mostly used to shift from 4x2 to 4x4. Since this is an all time 4x4, it's not essential just to shift from high to low ratios.

Tray / net is offered as an accessory.

I feel, after owner feedback, toyota will release the AT and newer version of the Fortuner next year with improved brakes and a minor facelift. I would wait for that instead of doing modification myself. The problem with toyota in this respect is that they just need a reason to void warrantee. A friend owns a Prado (since the past two years). This 44 lakh car at that time didn't come with retractable mirrors or parking sensors among other basic creature comforts. A broken tail light had was replaced after 2 months. That broken light aside, when my friend asked Toyota to fit parking sensors, they said even though they can fit it, it will void the warrantee. This part is what i don't understand, if they are fitting the stuff, why will it void the warrantee? According to my friend, at any query, their reply is it will void the warrantee. Even if you want to change tyres after a tire burst or bad puncture, it has to be of the same size and make! This is one area where toyota needs to work. I'm sure if i someone wants to change the music system to a more up-market touch screen one, they will say at your own risk. They can't keep a gun to the head of the customer regarding warrantee every-time. This is the case with most company though...

EDIT: given the size of the car and it's dynamics, i think a full time 4x4 is good thinking.

GTO / Rehaan : Is there EBD?

I am a great fan of the highway ride of the Safari and the way it absorbs the minor irregularities like expansion joints, breaks in the road, etc. How would you rate this aspect of the fortuner against the safari? That will give me a fair idea of the ride.

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 5th September 2009 at 20:23. Reason: see edit

Most Viewed