Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2009, 12:01   #136
BHPian

And the Ride and breaks will be it's bane. It will sell well though, Toyota Badge. People will use it as a soft roader and the Seths who can shell out 20L for it will sit on the back seat and look upon the Innova type interior.

I believe for that price, the interiors should have been a bit more upscale. At least of a different colour from the Innova's for differentiation.
Old 9th September 2009, 12:16   #137
BHPian

Quote:
This is the sweetest gesture. Thanks for offering, Ritesh, and I hope someone takes you up on this.
Sorry GTO. I forgot to mention that the review is awesome.I hated the Fortuner ( mostly because of the OTR price) and your review gave me more reasons to hate it ( all the negatives put together v/s paying 23 L OTR)and being satisfied that I did not put my money in a not so perfect car.
Old 9th September 2009, 14:47   #138
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by raveen_2023 View Post
looks like Sheet metal styling was heavily inspired from Toyota 4Runner.
You can say that again. The first words that rolled out of my mouth echoed exactly this comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudan_NFS View Post
Fortuner has the smallest turning radius and largest full tank capacity which will be a boom in city and highway traveling without working for refueling.
Like I stated earlier in my review, its surprisingly easy to drive in the city. Plus, 2nd and 3rd are all the gear ratios you need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIP View Post
Paying 2-3 Lakhs more in Bangalore is really robbery ! Is there a workaround to this ?
Always felt terrible for the Bangalore dudes. Their state-level taxation makes cars substantially more expensive. Delhi is the other extreme, so much cheaper compared to MH and the like. They have some great road quality too. I guess, that's what you get for sharing real estate with the politicians that count!
Old 9th September 2009, 14:52   #139
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I guess, that's what you get for sharing real estate with the politicians that count!
But that comes with a lot of other stuff that we can do without but that's for another thread.

I don't think that I will ever be in the market specifically for a Fortuner any time soon, but I just hope that its success drills some sensibility into other car makers.
Old 9th September 2009, 18:48   #140
BHPian

I know this will rouse a lot of comments and "gyaan"

to be honest I am not really impressed by the fortuner. Agreed it looks mascular from outside, but doesnt even come close to looking great. Looks gawky to me. You want to see good looking SUVs then look at the pajero, the outlander, the endeavour or even the tucson for that matter. the fortuner impresses/intimidates you with its sheer size and bulk. PERIOD.
Not a big fan of the drab interiors too. The first time I saw them, I was slightly confused whether they were of the innova or the fortuner. way too similar, and way too plasticky/artificial for my liking. Seen better in similar bracket or lower bracket cars/SUVs.
Sitting in the driver seat did little to my senses to be honest. Felt way too much like the Innova. Agreed, if you look for details there are plenty, but then the over all feel is very innova types. I really don't know whether I would spend that extra 10 lacs to show people I dont know that I have a some 20 lac rupee car, when I myself would feel that I am sitting in a slightly better version of a 8 lac rupee car. And NO I won't but the car for off-roading. As far as I know, not even 10 % of SUV buyers have ever taken their vehicle for proper off roading!! Most of these "off-roaders" have never ever been off the road.

So my only question is whether it makes sense to buy a car for around Rs. 20 lac, which has drab interiors, can seat only 4 comfortably, chances are it will never go off-roading and which will make you grow old while you try to park it!!

Agreed it has a toyota family badge on it, agreed it will make a style statement, agreed you will be looking down on all the cars when you are drivingit (practically), but then is it really worth it ?!?!?!?

Some may say that its the space, its the torque its bla bla bla, but then space is what you enjoy in the back seat of a skoda superb, torque is something which you will definitely enjoy, but again try the superb...I know they are different league of cars, the only common factor being the price, but still.
I say buy a Civic if you want to arrive in style, and not miss the driving pleasure. With the change left over, buy a Force Gurkha for those off roading trips and just see what all this unknown car is capable of!!

But whatever you do, just ask yourself once...why are you buying the fortuner?!?!?
Old 9th September 2009, 19:10   #141
BHPian

Fortuner is more of an Ego massager. Toyota has put in a very bland package when compared to fully loaded automatic Endeavour. 5 people around me have cancelled their Fortuner bookings and are headed straightaway for Endeavour. According to them, at 18 Lac, they are atleast getting a Automatic transmisssion, superior interiors, superior equipment and better safety.

Last edited by 1-Testosterone : 9th September 2009 at 19:12.
Old 9th September 2009, 19:42   #142
Distinguished - BHPian

Agree with Samya. Its somewhere in the middle. Doesnt achieve either or. Its just another product we've come to accept.

However - its a great product for people who want an SUV with reliability with the primary purpose of scaring people on the road and not off it.

And there's a HUGE market for that in India.
Old 9th September 2009, 19:46   #143
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyakmodi View Post
to be honest I am not really impressed by the fortuner.
Hey, to each his own. While most people who saw the Fortuner loved the way it looks (and its presence), there were a handful who were not impressed. Or felt there is too much of Innova.

Quote:
Not a big fan of the drab interiors too.
WRT its competition, the interiors are way more user friendly and practical. Don't forget to look up comparos by actual owners of the Paj & Endy.

Quote:
Felt way too much like the Innova.
Without a doubt. However, look at it independently, what did you not like?

Quote:
I really don't know whether I would spend that extra 10 lacs to show people I dont know that I have a some 20 lac rupee car
The Innova does 80% of what the Fortuner is capable of, at half the price. The Fortuner has more power, 4x4 and the looks, but if looked upon from a strictly utility perspective, the Innova wins.

Quote:
but again try the superb.
The Superb, and the Accord, are definitely more comfortable and a better choice for teh chauffeur-driven. The Fortuners stiff ride alone is reason enough to choose the Accord / Superb for the back seat. On the other hand, the Fortuner scores on ability to manage rough roads, its torquey diesel and that SUV space / stance. It really depends whether one wants an SUV or a luxury sedan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1-Testosterone View Post
Toyota has put in a very bland package when compared to fully loaded automatic Endeavour.
The new Endeavour A/T has been fantastically priced. I'm pretty certain Ford had some last minute price corrections just prior to launch . However, the Fortuner is way more modern than the Endeavour, more user friendly and its long-term reliability will be something that the Endeavour can only dream about. Don't forget the Endeavour's rear leaf springs and the harsh ride. Both are good SUVs, but (and the market seems to agree), the Fortuner has the edge.

Last edited by GTO : 9th September 2009 at 19:53.
Old 9th September 2009, 20:11   #144
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I see some sour grape posts in here. Wake up guys. Toyota has given us the best product in the sub 20 lakh SUV range.n I would have loved to get it cheaper as well, but Pajero and Endy have been milking the market when even dated models for a much higher price tag. Fortuner has given them a run for their money.

They folks at Hindustan Mitsu are still reeling from the blow. So far the only suggestion their experts have made is to change the clown paint scheme. ie. replace the white part with the colored part and colored part with the white part. The would also like to change the middle row from a two seater to a single seater configuration by making the side arm rests in the middle row bigger.

Last edited by 4x4addict : 9th September 2009 at 20:14.
Old 9th September 2009, 20:33   #145
BHPian

Prior to Endeavour launch, I also thought that Fortuner is the best possible SUV money can buy at this price. Reliability of Toyota is out of question and so is complete peace of mind.

But after the Endeavour launch, one gets to think that how come Ford can provide a slightly better engine, better entertainment system, reversing camera, 2 side airbags and automatic transmission at a price which undercuts Fortuner by 50,000. For us, that's sheer value. Has Toyota milked us again? Is it worth paying steep price for reliability only?

Surely, Toyota is commanding it's brand image/reliability but I feel like they're taking Indians for granted. Reliability is fine but other cars ain't unreliable. Toyota hs earned it no doubt but right now they are exploiting us in the name of Toyota/Reliability. If Skoda can provide us a blinder (E-Class Luxury) at 18.8 Lacs, there is no reason why Toyota can't? As far as we are accepting, these companies will continue to milk us by offering decent yet ultra reliable products at exorbitant prices and add to that long waiting times.
Their dealers are suddenly arrogant; even after taking booking amount of 1 Lac, they don't care to listen to their customer who ask for a Test Drive. The entire fault is of Toyota; before launching a 18.5 Lac SUV, you gotta have atleast one TD vehicle at each of your dealers. Disgusting. Surely the luck is on their side right now as there ain't any contenders out there. Once the competition gears up, it won't be easy going for Toyota.

Just think about this, newly launched Camry (everyone knows it's Toyota and stands for reliability, built to last etc.) does not stand any chance when compared to Skoda Superb 1.8

Let's hope that Toyota provides Indians with value for money vehicles in the same way they do it for world.
Old 9th September 2009, 20:33   #146
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
I see some sour grape posts in here. Wake up guys. Toyota has given us the best product in the sub 20 lakh SUV range.n I would have loved to get it cheaper as well, but Pajero and Endy have been milking the market when even dated models for a much higher price tag. Fortuner has given them a run for their money.

They folks at Hindustan Mitsu are still reeling from the blow. So far the only suggestion their experts have made is to change the clown paint scheme. ie. replace the white part with the colored part and colored part with the white part. The would also like to change the middle row from a two seater to a single seater configuration by making the side arm rests in the middle row bigger.
No sour grapes. Actually - the people posing as sour grapes here are people who buy cars for specific purposes. Not buy one for all the purposes. Which sounds extremely prudent.

Buying a Fortuner and letting it be the daily drive to school, or that bad road up Coorg is prudent. Taking her rock climbing is stupidity. The sour grapes here will probably buy the Innova for the daily drive to school and a 3B for the rock climb.

Makes sense, no?
Old 9th September 2009, 21:41   #147
Senior - BHPian

Liked the review very much - crisp, giving just enough attention to all areas and devoid of any hyperbole. The comparison with Pajero and Endeavour by their respective owners was a very nice touch, I thought.

I'm sure the Fortuner will definitely make Skoda think very very hard about the pricing and positioning of the Yeti.

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 9th September 2009 at 21:43.
Old 9th September 2009, 22:20   #148
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
But after the Endeavour launch, one gets to think that how come Ford can provide a slightly better engine, better entertainment system, reversing camera, 2 side airbags and automatic transmission at a price which undercuts Fortuner by 50,000. For us, that's sheer value. Has Toyota milked us again? Is it worth paying steep price for reliability only?

Surely, Toyota is commanding it's brand image/reliability but I feel like they're taking Indians for granted. Reliability is fine but other cars ain't unreliable. Toyota hs earned it no doubt but right now they are exploiting us in the name of Toyota/Reliability. Once the competition gears up, it won't be easy going for Toyota.

Let's hope that Toyota provides Indians with value for money vehicles in the same way they do it for world.
Let me ask you this. If Toyota hadn't launched the Fortuner at 18.5 lakhs, what do you think Ford would have priced the Endy AT 4x4 at? None of these companies are trying to *help us poor indians* buy affordable SUVs. These companies exist to make money for their owners/share holders. The only reason you see a Ford Endy AT 4x4 for 18 lakhs is because there Fortune was launced and not as a favour to any of us. It is purely competitive pricing. They know that they have an inferior product and unless they price it below the Fortuner they cannot sell except to a few people.

I do agree with you that Toyota has some amount of arrogance. But then, why doesn't Ford spend a little bit more money and put coil springs at the rear? Our home models Tata Safari and Scorpio have it !!. What excuse does Ford have.

How do you explain the Mitsu asking 22 lakhs for the Pajero 2.8? Why the heck should Toyota run a charity when the others have milked us for so long? If a handful of you feel that the Pajero 2.8 and/or Endy is a better product, please go ahead and buy it. With the bookings on hand, I sincerely doubt Toyota management cares about a few of us whining !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Makes sense, no?
If you don't have a need for the Fortuner it doesn't matter, I am surprised at how some people are dissing the Fortuner and feel they get a much better deal from Ford or Mitsubishi !!. Fortune is definitely priced on the higher side given the component sharing with the Innova, but I feel the Endy and Pajero 2.8 are even bigger ripoffs !!

Many of us would have been very happy if Toyota had launched it at a 3 or 4 lakh premium over a comparable spec Innova, but guess what until someone starts to compete with them in their market, they don't have to. I think the best bet to compete with them is when Mahindra launches their next gen SUV.

Last edited by 4x4addict : 9th September 2009 at 22:24.
Old 9th September 2009, 22:28   #149
BHPian

Well I would never like to own a Ford for that matter and I'm not against Toyota either. I'm just discussing the fact that we deserve more for what we pay. *e.g. Superb*

As far as ripoffs go, Mitsubishi is the leader followed closely by Honda and Toyota. Pajero is not even worth 15! then again I agree with you these guys are not here for charity.

In all honesty, I'm waiting for our own Mr. Tata to provide us with world class vehicle in this segment sometime sooner.
Old 9th September 2009, 22:33   #150
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
In all honesty, I'm waiting for our own Mr. Tata to provide us with world class vehicle in this segment sometime sooner.
Completely agree with you mate. The best competition for these CKD imports is for Tata/Mahindra to launch a world class SUV in the sub 15 lakhs range.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks