Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2009, 16:27   #166
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Seriously mate. I don't understand why people who don't need a 4WD SUV are jumping on board criticizing the Fortuner for not being like a Luxury car.........
Well said mate.

The comparison done by some of our brethren is totally pointless. IMO, it seems that many NRI bhpians are under the impression that we are discussing about Montero (their Pajero) also.

As far as Gurkha (as always brought into picture whenever we discuss 4x4) is concerned, shall we safely say that the Force Gurkha, the (Himalayan not Skoda) Yeti, the loch ness monster and the Bigfoot are the topmost legendary creatures?

@GTO, you are saving a lot of money n time for me yaar. I've decided to stop all those @# automagazine subscriptions. Why should I go for them when I get better than the best for ahem, free?

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 10th September 2009 at 16:44.
Old 10th September 2009, 16:32   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyakmodi View Post
I know this will rouse a lot of comments and "gyaan"

I say buy a Civic if you want to arrive in style, and not miss the driving pleasure. With the change left over, buy a Force Gurkha for those off roading trips and just see what all this unknown car is capable of!!

But whatever you do, just ask yourself once...why are you buying the fortuner?!?!?
Your comment about Gurkha has forced me to tell you why I have booked one and am waiting for it. Fortunately I have a Corolla and a Safari do work for me now.

With Gurkha, you might be actually spending a lot more just to get it comfortable like Fortuner. Leave aside the extra power which Toyota engine build. GURKHA would be costing much higher than this TOYOTA vehicle if you go for that kind of interiors, NVH work, paint etc besides the FIT and QUALITY. Trust me I have driven this vehicle more than 25K kms now. Even at 25K hardly 3 more people might have driven it more than me at least in India I guess, and with this present engine, I can be contender for the top slot.

I prefer to go on long drives. I did on GURKHA, delhi to Mumbai, Pune, Nashik, in west of India, up till Bhandavgarh in central India and uptill Gangtok in East India. Many times Opportunity for 4wd as well comes, either for fun or for necessity. For example in Bihar I had regular use of 4wd everyday while doing up and down from my village to city. In bhandhavgarh and numerous corbett trips again the 4wd was handy. Here the 4wd option of Fortuner could have worked very well also. Nothing serious off-roading. In slush might be even fortuner would have done better with it more powerful engine.

Now I am not a rich enough man to get both the civic and Gurkha with me on my drives, neither feasible nor practical.

I get Fortuner these long drives are fun for me and I am not stuck anywhere - read mild to medium level of off-roading. Biggest point of all FAMILY is in COMFORT!

In fact I am planning for a Jeep for those OTRs where you bash the jeep around.

Gurkha is very good vehicle when you are heading out with your friends where we all get comfortable after couple of rounds of drinks in any situation. This car you cannot travel with your family. PERIOD.

Also when it comes to Toyota nothing beats the ownership experience as well. My Corolla automatic has covered 1,25,000 kms in 4 years and still runs like a dream. I am looking forward to this vehicle.

I am sure Fortuner would not make Gurkha feel neglected as well!!!

Last edited by rhandle : 10th September 2009 at 16:34.
Old 10th September 2009, 16:32   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
At long last got my hands on the Fortuner. My friend's car NOT mine.

Drives like a dream, makes no rattles, does what it is meant to very effectively. A bit of a plain jane I'd say.

Returned 12.39 on the highway & 10.3 kmpl in the city in crawling traffic jams. With Airconditioner on all the time.

The brakes are very "spongy" - something I did not like on bit. everything else has pretty much been covered in the reviews above, so point repeating any of that.

The gear lever & the smaller lever for engaging 4L & 4H shudders on idle & most at start up, something that could have been looked at.

Overall - nice & imposing.

Cheers
Gr8 pics Ricky,
Im sure u would have loved the ride and would want to go on and on about it.
Can u please post detailed pics of the small mirror fixed on the bonnet. Also can it be fixed on any vehicle. I want to get a good one for my ride.
Old 10th September 2009, 17:48   #169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post
I know the real answer. Because you have loads of money and maybe a big family

But whatever happens ,happens for the best
HaHaHaHa! not at all my friend..no big family..im still single!

It would have been a case of sour grapes for me too if the ex-showroom price was over 20! The fact is that i have been waiting and preparing (financially) for the Fortuner for over 4 years!

Im sure once your Office is up and running you will get your Fortuner too..its here now..so you have all the time in the world. Best Wishes.

I think i did get a bit carried away in my earlier post which is against Team Bhp etiquette and i apologize for that..but needless criticism of an obviously good product really gets to me..for Toyota has earned the respect and love of (i dare say) all of its clientele.

Time shall prove the naysayers wrong..
Old 10th September 2009, 18:12   #170
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
At long last got my hands on the Fortuner. My friend's car NOT mine.
Congrats to your friend!

Quote:
Drives like a dream, makes no rattles, does what it is meant to very effectively. A bit of a plain jane I'd say.
Typical Toyota fare isn't it?

Quote:
Returned 12.39 on the highway & 10.3 kmpl in the city in crawling traffic jams. With Airconditioner on all the time.
Not bad. How did you measure this? Full tank to full tank?

Quote:
The brakes are very "spongy" - something I did not like on bit. everything else has pretty much been covered in the reviews above, so point repeating any of that.
Agreed. Hope its fixed in Fortuner v2. After all, it's the easiest thing to get right.
Old 10th September 2009, 18:14   #171
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Same prob with the Innova, pedal goes soft very quickly.

Shan2nu
Old 10th September 2009, 18:41   #172
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
Same prob with the Innova, pedal goes soft very quickly.
Theres a night and day difference between the feel of the Innova brakes and the Fortuner brakes.

The innova brakes react much sharper/quicker in comparison, and the pedal is comparatively lighter.

The fortuner pedal provides a spongy resistance, and pressing it down the first inch or so barely has any effect on the braking of the car, unlike the innova.

cya
R
Old 10th September 2009, 18:54   #173
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Just a question on the spongy brake issue. Has anyone actually verified the stopping times? Could it be that the brakes are over-servoed requiring very little pedal pressure hence the feeling of being spongy. The reason I am asking is that Toyota would probably not have brought a product into the market with such a serious defect as inadequate braking. Since this vehicle has been selling overseas for a couple of years now, this issue would definitely have been addressed if it was an issue. Just thinking out loud.
Old 10th September 2009, 20:09   #174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidcruise79 View Post
Gr8 pics Ricky,
Im sure u would have loved the ride and would want to go on and on about it.
Can u please post detailed pics of the small mirror fixed on the bonnet. Also can it be fixed on any vehicle. I want to get a good one for my ride.
The small mirror fixed on the left fender (not bonnet) is something all Toyota SUV's had for a long long time. Here it is offered as a dealer accessory.

So most of us agree that the spony brake is an issue that can be addressed ? How come those jokers albiet intelligent ones did not fix it in the first place ?

I agree the Innova brakes are sharper, no denying that, quite honestly I did not rip the vehicle as it was pouring all day & (yesterday) here, but the brakes sure need to be looked at by Toyota.

Overall the car feels good & the kind of mileage I got (rather my friend got) is mind boggling. A 2 tonner returning 10 + in the city W O W

Off Topic : i was fishing for discounts from Maruti for the 2.4 Grand Vitara & Mitsu for the Pajero....they seem to be holding their horses for now. LOL

Mistsu & Maruti both claim ignorance of a better deisel unit to fight the might of the fortuner. Ego Play ? Or is it ignorance.

SAAR we sell petrol better power lower maintenance etc for Maruti
& Pajero had an attitude about the price - thier own undoing....I would have waited for a 6 cyl Pajero had there been one coming, but alas, they got their lips sealed.

Cheers

Last edited by Ricky_63 : 10th September 2009 at 20:26.
Old 11th September 2009, 12:42   #175
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
The reason I am asking is that Toyota would probably not have brought a product into the market with such a serious defect as inadequate braking.
I wouldn't go as far as to call it a serious defect. Just to clarify : I drove a new Fortuner (versus our TD vehicle) and the brakes on that were better (read lesser abused). The brakes will do the job, yet they are far from confidence inspiring or what one would term "good braking ability".

Quote:
The small mirror fixed on the left fender (not bonnet) is something all Toyota SUV's had for a long long time. Here it is offered as a dealer accessory.
A la Landcruiser!

Quote:
Mistsu & Maruti both claim ignorance of a better deisel unit to fight the might of the fortuner.
Standard salesman fare. I'm pretty sure the M's are reworking their SUV positioning & strategy.
Old 11th September 2009, 12:53   #176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Standard salesman fare. I'm pretty sure the M's are reworking their SUV positioning & strategy.
Perhaps Suzuki should fit the Swift/Dzire Fiat engine on a Grand Vitara, and hope to lure some people into buying it.
Old 11th September 2009, 13:39   #177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
Perhaps Suzuki should fit the Swift/Dzire Fiat engine on a Grand Vitara, and hope to lure some people into buying it.
I read that Suzuki UK has introduced a 1.9L Diesel engine in the Grand Vitara and there is a possibility that it may make it to India sometime soon.
Old 11th September 2009, 14:43   #178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I wouldn't go as far as to call it a serious defect. Just to clarify : I drove a new Fortuner (versus our TD vehicle) and the brakes on that were better (read lesser abused). The brakes will do the job, yet they are far from confidence inspiring or what one would term "good braking ability".

A la Landcruiser!

Spot on GTO -

Just got off the phone with a Mitsu dealer. They are coming with an automatic version, spruced up interiors with climate control and some changes on the exterior.

Just no information on a newer more powerful engine.

They are also considering cutting down the price to 18L, needless to say this is all "inside" information. LOL

Cheers
Old 11th September 2009, 16:01   #179
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Just got off the phone with a Mitsu dealer. They are coming with an automatic version, spruced up interiors with climate control and some changes on the exterior.

Automatic transmission with an underpowered engine will be an absolute nightmare from a performance and FE standpoint. If they are putting in an automatic tranny, they really need to upgrade the engine.

If you ask me their best bet is to leave the product as it is and just adjust the price to below that of the fortuner. Maybe the 16 - 17 lakh range and I think it can hold it's own. Remember that the tooling for the Pajero 2.8 is many years old and probably all paid off now, so they can easily adjust the price of the car down. From a input cost perspective, there is absolutely no reason for the Pajero to be more expensive than the Fortuner. They have milked the consumer enough. Not it is time to lower the price or roll over and die a quick death.
Old 11th September 2009, 16:16   #180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Spot on GTO -

They are also considering cutting down the price to 18L, needless to say this is all "inside" information. LOL

Cheers
As usual it's what Mitsubishi does best. Come late to the party. The launch of the Fortuner and yesterday's new Endeavour launch has made Mitsubishi wake up. What is the point in giving an old car a makeover and again putting it up in the market. They already have the Outlander in the 24-25 lakh bracket but that loses to the Fortuner because the petrol unit and the price. If it is anything the existing Pajero needs, its a new heart. If they plonk in a 3.0 common rail diesel along with the goodies(AT, ACC etc..) you've mentioned at a price around the Fortuner, it just might sell but I really dont know for how long . The current Pajero is way past its lifespan IMO.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks