Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2009, 14:27   #106
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Valid point. Though Nissan has been largely absent (in terms of dealer presence & product marketing), the X Trail surely must be included in our comparos. Hows the price though? Has it also shot up to CRV levels?
Nissan X-trail has two variants and the cost last I checked were 20L & 22L. Fabulous machine with an awesome pickup, but alas its only a 5 seater and the rear seat gets very cramped if three decent sized people sit in it.

Last edited by Rehaan : 7th September 2009 at 16:25. Reason: Quote fixed.
Old 7th September 2009, 14:36   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
the X Trail surely must be included in our comparos. Hows the price though? Has it also shot up to CRV levels?
I think the X-Trail was always more expensive then CRV. The current ex-showroom (mumbai) prices are Rs. 203500/- and 246500/- (as given in their website)
Old 7th September 2009, 15:19   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
I think the X-Trail was always more expensive then CRV. The current ex-showroom (mumbai) prices are Rs. 203500/- and 246500/- (as given in their website)
With the Nissan genes and being completely built and imported from Japan, X-trail has awesome potential. I also saw somewhere scoop photos of their upgrade version that they are launching soon (didn't like it too much). It has all round discs, ABS, Airbags and an interior that is functional and (claimed to be) washable, I think X-trail is a fair competitor. The higher end version has a large sunroof. With price reduction it should be costing close to Fortuner.
Old 7th September 2009, 15:20   #109
BHPian

But unlike CRV, X-Trail runs on Diesel.
Old 7th September 2009, 15:42   #110
BHPian

X Trail Technical Issues

I have been given to understand that there are some technical issues with the X T turbocharger

My pals college mate works with Nissan. A XT had come in for tc problem. Luckily under warranty (luckily for the owner). Dealer replaced the tc under warranty. Failed the next day. Came back. Happened twice again. Finally Nissan, Japan says sorry no more turbochargers. You have to pay.

I had gone with a mate to check out a XT that he wanted to buy. It was excellent but for the tc. It sounded like it had a few bearings thrown in the air stream

Moral: Unless you are sure this TC problem is fixed, do not buy XT.

Btw, the on road price is approximately 28 lacs AFAIK
Old 7th September 2009, 17:12   #111
Senior - BHPian

Excellent review again GTO
I just came back in the morning from vaishno Devi so a bit late in reading it but its worth every word.
A good friend is contemplating buying it so will be of great help to him.

OT- You had mentioned in the previous posts there will be some more upcoming reviews- is the near one a Cruze?

Probably i missed it but did Toyota invited T-bhp for this review?
Old 7th September 2009, 19:05   #112
BHPian

First off..Fantastic review sir!..really enjoyed reading it all and the pictures did justice to the car.

Your review is all i have to keep me going for the next 6 months while i wait for my Fortuner to be delivered! (i read it everyday!)

Someone had mentioned somewhere that the Fortuner does not have ESP or EBD.

Also someone mentioned the service interval to be 5000 kms whereas i have confirmed from my dealer that the service interval is at every 10,000 kms after the initial check at 1000 kms , with average servicing cost to be below Rs.3000/-

I must say here that iv'e waited for this car for 5 years (along with a lot of other enthusiasts) and was very excited at the car finally being launched and even relived that it was not priced over 20 lacs.

18.45 isn't ideal but not too bad either for a Toyota 4X4.

I was dissapointed though at these points:

Colour choice was limited
No electric assist on driver seats
Lack of USB port on music system
The 170 horses did not make their presence felt as i expected.
Weak braking (my Qualis has better brakes!)
Exceptionally long waiting period.

The points that did not bother or impress me were:

Interior Cabin design (lacked flair)
Lack of steel bumper protector (for the bottom of the front bumper)
Fuel Economy figures.

The points that delighted me were:

Exceptionally good looks and street presence.
Proper 4X4
Excellent Paint job and general fit and finish (panel gaps)
Choice of OE tyres and alloy rims.
Toyota quality and reliability
Headlamp Cluster..(Xenons would have been nice though)
Interior Cabin materials (except some plastics)

All in all i think im not overpaying for a well engineered and reliable 4X4 that will last me over a decade easy!..(and then have decent resale value also)

There are certain points i am confused about and am hoping you may be able to clear them up for me..these are:

Does the Fortuner have EBD, ESP, TORQUE SENSING LSD?
Does the differential get locked? In our Range Rover the Rear, Front and Center differentials get locked..is it the same with the Fortuner also?

Once again thank you for the fantastic review
Old 7th September 2009, 20:37   #113
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Probably i missed it but did Toyota invited T-bhp for this review?
Toyota gave us a Fortuner to test out. Not a group press drive like the previous one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53BHP View Post
Btw, the on road price is approximately 28 lacs AFAIK
Yup, I remember the onroad being over 26 lakhs too. Its way too overpriced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuuj View Post
Your review is all i have to keep me going for the next 6 months while i wait for my Fortuner to be delivered! (i read it everyday!)
Lucky you! I have a feeling you're going to get delivery much before.

Quote:
Someone had mentioned somewhere that the Fortuner does not have ESP or EBD.
Comes equipped with EBD.

Quote:
Colour choice was limited
No electric assist on driver seats
Lack of USB port on music system
The 170 horses did not make their presence felt as i expected.
Weak braking (my Qualis has better brakes!)
Exceptionally long waiting period.
Pretty much in line with our review. I differ on the engine part though. It definitely is a quick SUV with a 0 - 100 of 12.5 seconds, and in the midrange, it pulls like a train.

Quote:
Does the Fortuner have EBD, ESP, TORQUE SENSING LSD? Does the differential get locked?
Yes to all, except the ESP (doesn't have ESP / traction control). The center diff can be locked.
Old 7th September 2009, 22:08   #114
Senior - BHPian

@GTO: Thanks for the detailed review. The suv is very well built and priced attractively, but yes needless to say, inspite of the high quality interiors its a let off. Also, it was quite disappointing to see the leg room of the 3rd row. Personally speaking, I think Innova offers more leg room in the 3rd row.

@Rehaan: Nice work with the video. That will help me in circulating the 'review in a nutshell' among my friends. Its a request that henceforth in all T-Bhp's reviews, please include a video review too. It will help a lot.

5*'s to the thread
Old 8th September 2009, 00:30   #115
BHPian

Quote:

Lucky you! I have a feeling you're going to get delivery much before.

Comes equipped with EBD.

Pretty much in line with our review. I differ on the engine part though. It definitely is a quick SUV with a 0 - 100 of 12.5 seconds, and in the midrange, it pulls like a train.

Yes to all, except the ESP (doesn't have ESP / traction control). The center diff can be locked.
I'll take your word for it! (pulls like a train)

The area where i was given a test drive in delhi was congested and i could barely manage 3rd gear..maybe out on an open road the story will be different..

I hope you are right about the waiting period getting cut down?..i will directly translate from a hindi saying/blessing "may your mouth be full with clarified butter and unrefined sugar!"

errr...bad joke! sorry about that..i got carried away in my excitement

Once i have my Fortuner i shall pitch it against our Range Rover and Pajero in offroad conditions and add to your exquisite review!
Old 8th September 2009, 09:26   #116
Senior - BHPian

GTO, excellent review, pretty much everything has been covered exhaustively, this will be a very handy buyers guide. It looks like its a no-brainer as far as the Fortuner is concerned for anyone looking in the Endeavour upwards category. However, the void in the 12 to 17 lac category remains unfilled :(.

Disappointing to hear about the bad brakes, lack of electric adjustment for seats etc & the ICE. For all those who feel that the interiors are "Innova-like", I'd just like to point out that we're getting pretty much what is offered on the Fortuner in the other countries, aren't we? Its not like we're being short-changed or anything?

Last edited by suman : 8th September 2009 at 09:31.
Old 8th September 2009, 09:55   #117
Senior - BHPian

Today's newspaper (HT) says, that the production capacity of Fortuner which was pegged at 2000 units per month has already been upped to 2500 units per month. They are targeting to make it 3000 units per month by the year end !

So hopefully the deliveries will hasten up a bit. They have 5000+ confirmed bookings as of now.

Endeavour is already planning a strike back to reclaim some of it's share of 30% (as of date) with the fresh face & an auto tranny on the 3.0L version.

My friend's Fortuner is coming in tommorow, let's see how it feels in flesh

Cheers
Old 8th September 2009, 10:13   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
Today's newspaper (HT) says, that the production capacity of Fortuner which was pegged at 2000 units per month has already been upped to 2500 units per month. They are targeting to make it 3000 units per month by the year end !

So hopefully the deliveries will hasten up a bit. They have 5000+ confirmed bookings as of now.

Endeavour is already planning a strike back to reclaim some of it's share of 30% (as of date) with the fresh face & an auto tranny on the 3.0L version.

Cheers
One really doesnt know who to believe in the press I guess. Last I heard was Fortuner production was limited to just 500 unit a month and Toyota was planning to up the production to 600 units. This info was given by Patankar in the NDTV C&B Show when he was at the Toyota factory. 2000 and 2500 units is real news to me. So who's telling the truth?
Old 8th September 2009, 10:45   #119
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
5*'s to the thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
GTO, excellent review, pretty much everything has been covered exhaustively, this will be a very handy buyers guide.
Thanks.

Quote:
It looks like its a no-brainer as far as the Fortuner is concerned for anyone looking in the Endeavour upwards category.
I think its the perfect upgrade for all of you Safari owners, once your ride logs on 6 figures on the odo.

Quote:
However, the void in the 12 to 17 lac category remains unfilled :(.
Maybe the GV diesel can fill that gap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
Whichever newspaper it is, they have got it wrong. I have direct word from Toyota that their production capacity of 500 / month has been increased to 600. Think of it this way, most 20 lakh cars do anywhere between 150 - 275 units a month. That's the markets ability to absorb, no ways a 20 lakh car can manage sales of 2,000 units a month. Period. Once the initial backlog is cleared, 600 a month is a healthy production number for the Fortuner.

Quote:
Hey, it'll be great to read your review.
Old 8th September 2009, 10:50   #120
Distinguished - BHPian

Excellent Review GTO. I bet starting a Team-Bhp magazine with the reviews should be good enough idea to get things in a more bigger way.

PS: Its not 2500 units a month, it would rather be per annum.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks