Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2009, 13:11   #31
Senior - BHPian

I have done Kalhatti ghats (36 hairpin bends) multiple times without any issue. Had to use 1st gear on some stretches, that too because I was driving slowly since my daughter was there. Else those ghats can be done in 2nd gear, fully loaded.
Old 29th December 2009, 13:33   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalDragon View Post
I too have not observed significant sluggishness on fly overs. This MLP was too steep. From here I am wondering how it would perform on hairpin bends in hill stations. Anybody with experience of hill stations on board fully packed SX4 ?
I had a similar experience while i drove to ooty from Masinagudi side. The hill climb was very steep and curvy at most of the places. My SX4 was sluggish and refused to climb (We were 5 adults + i kid), so i had to drive the entire stretch in first gear. After reach Ooty i became suspicious of tyre pressure and check it and it was around ~22psi. Then i and my friend using foot pump filled air till 30psi on all tyres and then we did see a good response from SX4.

Last edited by mail4loys : 29th December 2009 at 13:35.
Old 29th December 2009, 15:32   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwalker View Post
DD, some details please if you can.

My experience taking it up a gentle slope (say 15 degree) with 4 adults + 2 kids is OK, keep in 3rd and work your way to 2000+ rpm at which point get a good surge of power. During the TD, 2 adults + AC was easily able to take uphill harpin bends (say 30 degree) in 2nd gear, no sweat...

No idea of Llumar, have always used 3M and would recommend them, can get a set of RE50 side + RE 70 back for around Rs 4,200/- for SX4. I'm not keen on front filming...
Re the headlights I know everyone says they are weak but did a late night drive on an unlit curvy road and didn't find any such problems... The road was very well lit up on high beam and even on low beam was able to pick up people waiting to cross the road without much trouble
Which gear and what speed/ RPM : 1st and speed must be arnd 10/15. didnt check the speedo though.
- Slope angle (just a guess) : my guess >30 Deg
- Weight of the people :-): avg 65 Kg x 6

I am also thinking of abandoning the idea of front filming - purely from "the water corrupting the ECM issue". For side and rear most probably will go with Garware Classic Lite pack costing some 1800 Rs.

In normal condition it is OK but was finding quite difficult in rainy condition and hence will change it to OSRAM night breaker costing 1400 per pair.

Last edited by DigitalDragon : 29th December 2009 at 15:34.
Old 29th December 2009, 20:10   #34

Hey DD,

I'm late as usual, but it's never too late to say "Congratulations" on your new stallion!

The beige colour looks really great, especially with those 10-spoke alloys. The pics are great too.

Wish you a great ride ahead.

I'm waiting for mine - probably will be delivered this weekend. Have already paid the dealer 5L today so that they can make the invoice in Dec with the discounted price.
Old 29th December 2009, 20:17   #35
BHPian

hearty Congratulations on the new SX4.

Wishing you miles and miles with the car

Do update the thread with your ownership experience.
Old 29th December 2009, 21:12   #36
Senior - BHPian

Congrats DD !!
Somehow i missed your thread for last 4 days
With regards to sunfilm, i would suggest 3M
Waiting to see the car in flesh during our next meet. What a way to start the new year, congrats once again.

-Santosh
Old 29th December 2009, 21:34   #37
BHPian

No Problemo!!

I have done khandala-lonavala 3 times, mahabaleshwar two times and certain ghats around pune. No problems at all when going up. I can hardly think of any time i had to struggle with the pedal or rush to the 1st gear.

And it also returned a good mileage of 14-15 everytime
Old 29th December 2009, 21:40   #38
BHPian

Congrats on your beauty. The car looks stunning in Beige. A lot of SX4s now on Team BHP. Looks like VVT is working for Maruti.

With regard to your problem of sluggishness, check the tyre pressure. The old SX4 has a problem of low torque at low RPMs. It is much better in VVT. Also I am surprised you feel it is lower than your Santro. I have driven several times over Ghat sections; infact just returned from a trip to Waynad and Calicut & I have never faced a similar issue. Yes you need to slot in first gear in some steep sections expecially if you have 6 adults in the car.

Kindly update your experience and ofcourse more snaps of the new man in your life
Old 29th December 2009, 23:13   #39
BHPian

Guys,
Nice to see that nobody has encountered this sluggishness problem. I am pretty sure I had to floor the pedal with clutch on-off to get it move up in 1st gear. Is it something to do with the run-in ? Will it become normal after first service or so ? Should I ask the MASS to check on this ?

Per my knowledge pressure was perfect at 30 as the same day i got my tyres changed to 215/60/16 Yoko A 348.
Old 30th December 2009, 19:22   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Guys,
Nice to see that nobody has encountered this sluggishness problem. I am pretty sure I had to floor the pedal with clutch on-off to get it move up in 1st gear. Is it something to do with the run-in ? Will it become normal after first service or so ? Should I ask the MASS to check on this ?

Per my knowledge pressure was perfect at 30 as the same day i got my tyres changed to 215/60/16 Yoko A 348.
It would be good to have MASS checking it at your first services.
Old 31st December 2009, 12:40   #41
BHPian

I didnt face any sluggishness issues with her either...
Was happily able to zip through the Lonavala inclines coming back from Bombay with the AC on .. just had to downshift to 4th

With 3 people and AC on, i was able to manage the hairpins on the Lavasa stretch in 2nd/3rd

FWIW, it certainly feels torquier than my Corsa which in turn always felt torquier than the Santro
Old 31st December 2009, 18:17   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Which gear and what speed/ RPM : 1st and speed must be arnd 10/15. didnt check the speedo though.
- Slope angle (just a guess) : my guess >30 Deg
- Weight of the people :-): avg 65 Kg x 6

I am also thinking of abandoning the idea of front filming - purely from "the water corrupting the ECM issue".
Hmmm not sure of the gear ratios but I can observe that in 1st you hit 10 kmph at approx 1,000 rpm, so would need to get the rpms up to take a steep slope (>30 deg) with a heavy load.. No one seems to have faced the problem in road situations presumably because their speed is upwards of 20 kmph...

Though I can't think of any sedan/ hatch with <= 1.6 ltr petrol engine that can do what you're asking.

Am confused by your remark re front sun filming and the ECM, could you please clarify?

EDIT: OK did a forum search and found references to Swifts where ECM was damaged during front film installation due to water used in the process. However in the SX4 the ECU is way out in front under the bonnet, no way water from the install process can get there. Of course still need to use a cloth/ foam underneath during install so the water doesn't go and mess something else up...

Last edited by mrwalker : 31st December 2009 at 18:27.
mrwalker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2010, 18:25   #43
Senior - BHPian

Well the SX 4 is a petrol car and there is no problem in revving it up till 3-4 K rpm. I have taken the SX 4 to Dehradun and to Nainital including the steep climb from the mall to the hotel Snowview. this road is narrow , steep and winding. The car did it easily. U just need to keep the revs in the powerband.
Old 3rd January 2010, 00:18   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Guys!

Mine is a non-leather version as rightly said by Prince. Actually this is not a pure leather seat and is called Luster Leather costing some 8500 odd. I got it from the dealer as freebie.

Now coming to the engine, yesterday I went to Oasis mall at inner ring road junction and the car was literally SLUGGING to climp up on the way to the MultiLevel parking lot. We were 6 people on board and it was without AC. Man...i feel my santro was WAYYYYYYYY better than SX4 in pulling or is it something wrong with my car ? Also on straight Bannerghata Road with AC i was unable to go beyond 80, again with 6 people on board. Does it take considerable time to come to that RPM, i.e. for a speed of 100+ ? Will the pulling improve after first service ? I am quite confused now.

SX4 gurus please post your experiences. Thinking of taking a trial of its pulling capability at Nandi Hill. But then as they say the arrow is already out.

Congrats on your new SX4. I visit Oasis mall frequestly in my SX4 and I don't face any issues. May be you need to get used to the power delivery of the car and be in the correct RPM. I've visited Chikmagalur and climbed steep hills with full load withput any issues.
Old 3rd January 2010, 02:05   #45
BHPian

congrats, your car looks great.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks