Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2010, 11:02   #61
BHPian

Raj
so if both my keys get lost, what do you think I will have to tell Mahindra - the engine no/chassis no or the Key No for them to create a correctly coded key again.
Old 14th January 2010, 12:29   #62
BHPian

While someone explains adzegeeks question, I have another question on the parking sensors. According to the manual, there are blind spots where the sensors will not detect an obstacle. I quite didn't understand the diagram. Each sensor has an eliptical area that it sends an receives an ultrasonic signal. These areas intersect one another. I've stood in different areas behind the car and there is no area where it does not detect me as the obstacle. Any ideas? Also, now that I am assured that the security system is really good, will a gear lock be an overkill?

Last edited by triedeverything : 14th January 2010 at 12:30.
Old 14th January 2010, 14:35   #63
BHPian

There are blind zones - e.g. take the tow-hook in 4wd scorp - the central sensor should always be beeping red when you engage the reverse gear, but it doesnt. the example in manual shows an overhang which will not be caught - however some experimentation required to simulate this.
Old 14th January 2010, 15:19   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Rather than horizontal blind spot, they maybe referring to vertical one. For example, try lying down with your body parallel to the bumper behind the scorpio and have someone try to back up the car and see if the sensor beeps. Just kidding, but you get the message. Maybe it will not detect a boulder or something that is low but could knock the bottom of the bumper.

I used to wonder why M&M can add auto headlights and all the other gizmos and leave out a very nice feature like climate control and add two more sensors to the bumper.
Old 14th January 2010, 15:49   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by triedeverything View Post
While someone explains adzegeeks question, I have another question on the parking sensors. According to the manual, there are blind spots where the sensors will not detect an obstacle. I quite didn't understand the diagram. Each sensor has an eliptical area that it sends an receives an ultrasonic signal. These areas intersect one another. I've stood in different areas behind the car and there is no area where it does not detect me as the obstacle. Any ideas? Also, now that I am assured that the security system is really good, will a gear lock be an overkill?
tet,
as you get closer to the sensor you would stumble upon the bind spot. you can try this by asking someone to move their hand right in front of the sensor, your sensor would pick up the obstruction when the hand is closest and not inline with the sensor you wouldn't get the obstructed signal. this is primarily because the ultrasound sensor sends out the waves in a cone as similar to a torch. so the overlap that is shown would be in a plane. imagine two headlights seen headon, the light beam overlaps like two circles and below and above the intersection there will be darkness.
heard this from the SA's at Sireesh that a Scorpio was stolen from bangalore by towing it and they tried tampering with the electrical system for a couple of days and when they still couldnt start the scorp they abandoned it in Hosur. and this was the immobilizer changeable Scorp.
Old 14th January 2010, 15:51   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adzegeek View Post
Raj
so if both my keys get lost, what do you think I will have to tell Mahindra - the engine no/chassis no or the Key No for them to create a correctly coded key again.
think you have to tell the code on the little plastic tag that comes along with the 1st set of keys alongwith the chassis and engine # for getting a duplicate set of keys.
Old 14th January 2010, 18:05   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adzegeek View Post
Raj
thats right buddy. they must have given you a key code (usually attached with the keys). so if you lose both your keys, you have to give the details to mahindra & they will deliver new keys to you.

Quote:
regarding sensors, try reversing to a wall which has a projection or something at a good height, somewhere near the spoiler or the rear glass. the sensors wont detect that.

regarding gear locks, no security feature is an overkill ever! ultimately it protects your car. but these days, cars will gear locks are easily stolen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
I used to wonder why M&M can add auto headlights and all the other gizmos and leave out a very nice feature like climate control and add two more sensors to the bumper.
exactly my thought. remove the auto headlights (let the auto wipers remain) & give us climate control!

btw, i think the refresh scorpio comes with 3 sensors at the back unlike the older ones which had 2 sensors.
Old 14th January 2010, 18:43   #68
BHPian

All ,
The new scorpio M Hawk does not have any code facility and uses whats called the RFID technology .

One can absorb that when u bring the key near the car , near the cluster , the red button starts glowing . This means the RFID opens up the Immobilizer of the car and the engine is ready for usage .

So this makes the key of the Scorpio something special . This means this key is going to be expensive . If for any reason u loose ur key of Scorpio , its going to cost 15K INR ...
Yes 15K INR if u loose the key of the Scorpio - (Both keys if lost )

Yes we have three sensors for reverse parking . Climate control options are not available yet , but as far i have info on what M & M is working , they are working on a new cluster which actually have the Climate control in place
Old 15th January 2010, 01:23   #69
BHPian

sniff sniff now that (climate control) is something i would love to have had.
Old 15th January 2010, 10:12   #70
Senior - BHPian

If a RFID based key is lost a new key need to be used and the ID need to be flashed to ECU or Lock control Unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranga View Post
All ,

So this makes the key of the Scorpio something special . This means this key is going to be expensive . If for any reason u loose ur key of Scorpio , its going to cost 15K INR ...
Yes 15K INR if u loose the key of the Scorpio - (Both keys if lost )
15K phew , If some one can get the memaddress where RFID is written and tool to write to ECU it will make a good business case for any keymaker. Why 15K for this ? Honda Charges 3K I heard and thought that is inflated
Dealers will be surely happy.
Old 15th January 2010, 10:58   #71
Senior - BHPian

15k seems to high, are you sure about the price?

the new RFID tech is explained clearly here-
::::: MAHINDRA SCORPIO :::::

interestingly, they have swapped the pics of "cruise control buttons" & "audio control buttons"! mahindra- all you can do is atleast check the contents of your site!
Old 15th January 2010, 11:12   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
15k seems to high, are you sure about the price?
interestingly, they have swapped the pics of "cruise control buttons" & "audio control buttons"! mahindra- all you can do is atleast check the contents of your site!
They have also exaggerated last row leg room ... ha ha ha! Hey Raj, I couldn't find RFID explained in the link you sent. I checked the other tabs too. On another note - is it normal that the termperature gauge shows one bar above the halfway mark in less than 5 minutes of driving on a cold engine? The indica would never reach the halfway mark even after half an hour. Rather than horizontal blind spot, they maybe referring to vertical one. For example, try lying down with your body parallel to the bumper behind the scorpio and have someone try to back up the car and see if the sensor beeps. Just kidding, but you get the message. Maybe it will not detect a boulder or something that is low but could knock the bottom of the bumper.
Quote:
I agree. Even 3 sensors are not as good as vision. That's why I'm planning of adding a rear camera.

Last edited by triedeverything : 15th January 2010 at 11:17.
Old 15th January 2010, 11:23   #73
Senior - BHPian

hey, the RFID tech is showed when you press the right arrow to see more features.

its the 11th feature from left, in other words, the 1st feature on the third scroll to the right
Old 15th January 2010, 11:46   #74
BHPian

Quote:
On another note - is it normal that the termperature gauge shows one bar above the halfway mark in less than 5 minutes of driving on a cold engine? The indica would never reach the halfway mark even after half an hour.
I agree. Even 3 sensors are not as good as vision. That's why I'm planning of adding a rear camera.
tet,
Never had my temp guage go above the halfway mark even after a cold start, infact it took a lot more time to heat up to the regular running temperature on a cold start in ooty.

on the rear camera opt for a night vision one and suggest you do a temporary connection and check the view before you do a final fix.
I am considering moving the position of my rear view camera, currently its on the bumper right below the integrated footstep, gives me a 2D view from which i cant judge the distance.
Old 15th January 2010, 12:23   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanScorpio View Post
tet,
Never had my temp guage go above the halfway mark even after a cold start, infact it took a lot more time to heat up to the regular running temperature on a cold start in ooty.

on the rear camera opt for a night vision one and suggest you do a temporary connection and check the view before you do a final fix.
I am considering moving the position of my rear view camera, currently its on the bumper right below the integrated footstep, gives me a 2D view from which i cant judge the distance.
Thanks for the suggestion. Where do you intend to move it? Regarding the temp gauge, you must have the analog meter. I checked with the after sales person and he said it is normal on the electronic fuel gauge to show at one bar above half mark. So just like the fuel gauge, this one also has 8 bars - similar to nokia charge or signal indicators. I'd appreciate it if someone who has the electronic meter confirmed this behavior as normal.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks