Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2010, 15:52   #76
BHPian

Very nice review GTO. Thanks. The 1.4 diesel should do good for Ford.

Good that the clay dash colour is optional. Rear power windows should have been there, atleast as an option. My 2004 Palio had all 4 power windows, there too, the rear window does not open completely.

In one of the pics where a Fiesta and Figo were standing next to other, the Figo seems much larger with a better road presence. Did you notice this? Is this true in flesh. Also how big/large is the Figo when compared to the Fusion?

Last edited by basilmabraham : 25th January 2010 at 15:53.
Old 25th January 2010, 16:07   #77
BANNED

Thanks GTO for great review again, in fact waiting eagerly because needed to change My Wagon R and finding all other hatches little boring.
You have made my buying decision much easier now.
My running is hardly 500 km per month, so suggest me petrol or diesel ?
Old 25th January 2010, 16:42   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksons View Post
Thanks GTO for great review again, in fact waiting eagerly because needed to change My Wagon R and finding all other hatches little boring.
You have made my buying decision much easier now.

For a 500KM /month petrol motor is generally advised. But if you want to keep the vehicle for long that means more the 5+ years then you may consider the diesel variant to offset the higher premium you paid for diesel motor.

Diesel cars have more torque and are more drivable in city condition, the gear shifts are reduced to a great extent.
Old 25th January 2010, 16:52   #79
BHPian

GTO, I was waiting for this thread. Excellent review as always. Thank you!

Any guesses on the price? Just waiting for the launch and test drive the 1.4 D.
Old 25th January 2010, 17:06   #80
Senior - BHPian

Good review GTO, the FIGO seems to be an average all-rounder, with no major flaws as of now. Every one complaining about the lack of rear power window however I feel that its not a deal breaker.
However I personally did not like the following aspects of FIGO
  • Low height of the vehicle, people used to tall boy design will not like it as ingress & egress will be a tad difficult.
  • They should have given a split seat option at the rear.
  • Turning radius of 5 m is a bit on the higher side.
  • Did not like the Left hand drive light & wash wiper stocks switch placement.
  • Looks are too plain jane, however this is subjective
  • Ford’s needs to be beefed up there A.S.S. with competitively priced spares.
Overall I feel this car looks promising, however every thing will depend on the pricing. Ford has to price this car competitively and they have to do it right the fist time absolutely.
Old 25th January 2010, 17:08   #81
BHPian

Stretching my imagination , I feel that a Black figo with the copper red dash might be a good combination than any other body color offered
Old 25th January 2010, 17:16   #82
BANNED

Quote:
For a 500KM /month petrol motor is generally advised. But if you want to keep the vehicle for long that means more the 5+ years then you may consider the diesel variant to offset the higher premium you paid for diesel motor.

Diesel cars have more torque and are more drivable in city condition, the gear shifts are reduced to a great extent.
My Querry was for driveablity rather than cost or premium, I think, will keep car for three years only, as you say diesel cars are more torque, will have to think about it.
Old 25th January 2010, 17:19   #83
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Great Review

Great, comprehensive, exhaustive review GTO. Well done.

I traveled on NH 45 last Thursday from Chennai to Ponamaravati to attend a friend's house warming ceremony. When i crossed Ford Factory, i was suddenly in the middle of atleast 2 dozen Ford Figo. Every one of them in the same parrot green colour with bumpers (front and back) pasted with white stickers (to save them from scratches).

They were zipping past traffic one after the other and were doing about 100 kmph. I was driving my (con)Fusion TDCI and overtook them one after the other. Wonder what kind of a road test these guys were upto at 6 am in the morning.

I did not like the car much as it looked like the Zen with Christmas tree tail lamps. In the pictures, they looked like a smaller Fusion, but in reality, it is much more smaller. IMO, the head lamps could have been given a better treatment as the current ones make the the car look like a sick person (I did not like the looks of a Fusion, but in front of a Figo, the Fusion looks much better)

But like GTO has put it, the TDCI model would be a big interest and IMHO if priced right would sell in good volumes. The engine is a gem and is very much drivable in the city. In the highway, it lacks top end whack. My Fusion (currently clocked 75K kms) gives me a mileage of about 17.5 in City and 19.5 on the Highway. Assuming Figo to be lighter than a Fusion and with the same engine, the Figo would result in a better mileage and drive-ability.

Last edited by MAS : 25th January 2010 at 17:30.
Old 25th January 2010, 17:28   #84
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
and sharp clean photos to support with.
Thanks, coming from the best photographer on the forum, that means a lot!

Quote:
That pink dashboard top is kinda funky but may look dashing on a black car
Quote:
Originally Posted by motor spirit View Post
Stretching my imagination , I feel that a Black figo with the copper red dash might be a good combination than any other body color offered
I'm not going anywhere near that red. Full black for me please.

Quote:
Did you ask them (not that Ford team there will have the answer) why this awkward neither here nor there kind of position?
I presume its something to do with the door's shape, and the lack of a quarter glass on the door?

Quote:
Not true always. My car key is the same kind and working flawlessly.
Guess it depends on the quality of plastic used then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren959 View Post
Front seats have no bolstering or the curves that hold your body tight, as they look simple flat out
Actually, the bolstering quite fine and hold you in place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by basilmabraham View Post
In one of the pics where a Fiesta and Figo were standing next to other, the Figo seems much larger with a better road presence. Did you notice this? Is this true in flesh.
The Figo certainly looks taller in that picture. Overall, the hatch has a nice stance thanks to its wide, low set, profile.

Quote:
I'd still go for the diesel. Good FE, better torque and you never know when your running may increase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi99 View Post
Any guesses on the price? Just waiting for the launch and test drive the 1.4 D.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tj123 View Post
Overall I feel this car looks promising, however every thing will depend on the pricing. Ford has to price this car competitively and they have to do it right the fist time absolutely.
Bang in the middle of the Swift / i10 territory is my guess.
Old 25th January 2010, 17:46   #85
oss
BHPian

Wonderful review, and an excellent product as well

Though it is not path breaking it gives an well balanced option for the 3-5 lakh hatchback segment.

If Ford prices in line with the expectations, this can be a runaway success in the market.

EDIT: I don't see the 1.2 petrol selling any great volumes, but 1.4 diesel is going to sell good numbers. It's pretty much going the Fiesta way; Ford will eventually launch Figo with the 1.6 petrol engine, and that should keep Team-BHP happy

My guess, the diesel is going to kill the Ritz diesel; the petrol probably might hit the Beat, but not sure if it will dent its sales big time. May be Santro and Spark will take a hit, if this is priced low enough.

GTO: When exactly is the launch, btw?

Last edited by oss : 25th January 2010 at 18:02.
Old 25th January 2010, 18:13   #86
BHPian

I am sure that the figo is the more sensible buy over the Beat. The boot size,diesel engine all put together gives the figo a good lead over the Beat.
Old 25th January 2010, 18:16   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My Querry was for driveablity rather than cost or premium, I think, will keep car for three years only, as you say diesel cars are more torque, will have to think about it.
Diesel for sure and it is one of the nicest in it class. I will put it almost at par with the Fiat MJD/DDIs.
Old 25th January 2010, 19:05   #88
BHPian

Lack of Rear window control is bit disappointing but if it is compensated with lower price it will makes sense. We user rear window controls very rarely while driving alone. Figo has Airbags and EBD which are much more essential. If we go with what Ikon/Fiesta/Endy offers, this one will have good build quality, good braking and stable drive which are essentials. Look wise, it is not adventurous like beat, but way ahead than the boxy japanese hatches we have.Kinetic design from ford is like the melody songs which sounds good for ever.
Old 25th January 2010, 19:05   #89
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
I traveled on NH 45 last Thursday from Chennai to Ponamaravati to attend a friend's house warming ceremony. When i crossed Ford Factory, i was suddenly in the middle of atleast 2 dozen Ford Figo.
Was this on Thursday, the 14th? If so, the cars were probably being driven to the transportation spot. There were about that number of cars in Goa.

Quote:
The engine is a gem and is very much drivable in the city.
A key advantage over the MJD.

Quote:
In the highway, it lacks top end whack.
True, especially running out of breath after 110 - 120.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oss View Post
Ford will eventually launch Figo with the 1.6 petrol engine, and that should keep Team-BHP happy
I like

Quote:
Originally Posted by keshav1426 View Post
I am sure that the figo is the more sensible buy over the Beat. The boot size,diesel engine all put together gives the figo a good lead over the Beat.
I think the Beat will retain its VFM pricing. The top-end is 50 grand cheaper ex-showroom Delhi than the Swift / Ritz / i10. Which is about the ballpark where I expect the Figo to sit in.
Old 25th January 2010, 19:12   #90
BHPian

Excellent review, covered everything I could think of knowing. just wanted to ask the top speed of the variants.
This should be a worthy competition to the swift and other hatches, I think the price will surprise us all, if what I hear is true. not confirmed though.

Most Viewed