Team-BHP - Yet another Skoda Laura 1.8 TSI on Team-BHP. EDIT: Now sold!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/)
-   -   Yet another Skoda Laura 1.8 TSI on Team-BHP. EDIT: Now sold! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/75579-yet-another-skoda-laura-1-8-tsi-team-bhp-edit-now-sold-13.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by prithwi-81 (Post 3050246)
Lets just say right now with that powerband, this car can smoke anything below 55-60lacs provided both are rolling, and his tires hold up.

Lol i know a evo 6 that would prove that first sentence wrong

Quote:

Originally Posted by swiftracer0589 (Post 3132788)

Lol i know a evo 6 that would prove that first sentence wrong

Tell me how much the chap got his evo 6 in this country for, and how many palms he had to grease at arai and customs and excise!! Since the car is technically illegal in india. Please!!

Here is the update on my front end.. I get asked quite a few times "new model hai kya!?!"

Name:  ForumRunner_20130527_215405.png
Views: 6345
Size:  317.9 KB

Quote:

Originally Posted by prithwi-81 (Post 3132642)
Very nice.. I've been considering the VRS Steering wheel on the TSI as well ;-).

How much did it cost you for the Wheel (PM Source and Cost Please) and did you also need a new airbag unit. From my initial inspections the VRS steering airbag unit appears to be the same as the TSI steering airbag unit.

Yup. the same airbag would suffice. All you need is a new steering wheel, a steering wheel control module and a new airbag wiring harness.

But if you guys have a friend in the skoda workshop please do go for the maxidot instrument cluster retrofit. Its by far the best mod for a laura which isnt of the l&k trim.

P.S The front parking sensors and the tyre pressure monitoring are good mods too. A pic from my car to get you thinking..

Yet another Skoda Laura 1.8 TSI on Team-BHP. EDIT: Now sold!-img2012032000440.jpg

Have the works on the VRS except for the maxidot. I am really thinking about getting it done. We have a Vcds modder in delhi, and I am getting pretty handy with the rosstech app too. I was looking ti refresh the tsi I have, maybe just a downpipe + tune, vrs wheel, bumper and drls. Or just save the cadh n buy n mod a polo tsi.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vinj14 (Post 3133419)
P.S The front parking sensors and the tyre pressure monitoring are good mods too. A pic from my car to get you thinking..

The Front parking sensors are too cool to let go off, so are the maxi dot
display. I got the Auto Light switch along with Robi on Saturday.

I have a couple of questions for you on this,
1. Do you have to change the entire cluster to get the maxi dot display? I know the answer is yes, but is it possible just to change just the display? (I really like the 270 speed marking on vRS :))
2. On the front parking sensor, did you get that done from the service center? How about the color of the sensors in the front bumpers? Its difficult to get the paint match correct? Although expensive (I was quoted 29k just for the front sensors) I really like front sensors.

I'm charting the roadmap on modifications for my car :D

Thanks,

Azeem

New TSI AT maxidot cluster is same as the VRS. You can use that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by prithwi-81 (Post 3134262)
New TSI AT maxidot cluster is same as the VRS. You can use that.

It's not exactly the same. It's marked upto 240 whereas the vrs is till 270. Personally I wanted the maxidot but after having it on the yeti I don't miss it on the vrs at all. Once u put in the settings you don't really change them again. The steering controls though are great.

I think the maxidot with 270kph is also available. So it should not be an issue. However, like Akshay said, once you have done all the settings you are hardly going to use it. The front parking sensors makes more sense especially in the city.

Image source: Google search

Its been quite a while and I haven't really driven the Laura much. Took it out for a drive on some decent roads with friends yesterday and it was super fun. Today morning I had another longish drive and thought I would do a mileage run.
Combined with cruise control, the TSi tech helped me eek out over 16Km/l. Now that's quite something as the car is modded making over 300HP and running 225 section Mich PS3's.

Robi,

I have been a secret admirer of both your threads.* This one and the Polo GT one.* The way you have gone about doing these cars up and the details are simply awesome.* I have referred this thread to many friends of mine as well.

I have to upgrade in July next year. Only used cars this time around. I am seriously considering buying a used Laura automatic and mod it similar to what you have done.

One doubt I had. Could not find the details online. Sorry if it's a very noob question. Can the pete remaps be done on the 1.8 DSG automatic Laura? Or is it only for the manuals? I can't see any threads here as well

I have heard many people telling me that the DSG on the superb with the same gear box and engine is not designed to handle more than 250 nm of torque. Is it the reason we see no remaps on the Laura DSG?

I would be left with only 2 options if the Laura DSG doesn't work. Buy a cruze automatic and Pete it. Or buy a Laura manual and remap it.

I thought ill put it up on your thread since you have become the new remap guru on team-bhp :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kimified (Post 3266735)
Robi,

I have been a secret admirer of both your threads.* This one and the Polo GT one.* The way you have gone about doing these cars up and the details are simply awesome.* I have referred this thread to many friends of mine as well.

One doubt I had. Could not find the details online. Sorry if it's a very noob question. Can the pete remaps be done on the 1.8 DSG automatic Laura? Or is it only for the manuals? I can't see any threads here as well

I have heard many people telling me that the DSG on the superb with the same gear box and engine is not designed to handle more than 250 nm of torque. Is it the reason we see no remaps on the Laura DSG?

I would be left with only 2 options if the Laura DSG doesn't work. Buy a cruze automatic and Pete it. Or buy a Laura manual and remap it.

Thanks. The 7 Speed DSG (DQ200) which is present in the 1.8Tsi Superb/Laura is rated at a maximum of 250NM torque which is actually what the car produces when stock. I would never remap it even if its possible to get a minor bump in power for the fear of damaging the transmission. Infact the 1.8TSi 4x4 octavia cars (280NM) available in Europe are provided with 6 speed DSG which is rated at a maximum of 350NM torque by Skoda.

Having said that, are you sure you found a used 1.8TSi DSG Laura on sale. Hardly a few were sold in India last year. If you are not too keen on an automatic, get the Laura 1.8Tsi manual (the VRS if you find one) and mod it like crazy :). I am not a fan of the Cruze, pete'd or not.

Quote:

Originally Posted by robimahanta (Post 3266778)

Having said that, are you sure you found a used 1.8TSi DSG Laura on sale. Hardly a few were sold in India last year. If you are not too keen on an automatic, get the Laura 1.8Tsi manual (the VRS if you find one) and mod it like crazy :). I am not a fan of the Cruze, pete'd or not.

Nope. I have not found one as yet. But, I guess I would find one by next July if I start looking for one from now.

Anyway. I guess I will have to drop the DSG idea since a remap goes out of the window.

The only thing stopping me going for the manual is Bangalore traffic. But, guess I'll have to make a compromise somewhere. :(

Would start searching for the Laura vRS and once I find one, I would get back to you for all the inputs. Cheers for inspiring a lot of people on the forum with your threads :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kimified (Post 3267323)
Nope. I have not found one as yet. But, I guess I would find one by next July if I start looking for one from now.

Anyway. I guess I will have to drop the DSG idea since a remap goes out of the window.

The only thing stopping me going for the manual is Bangalore traffic. But, guess I'll have to make a compromise somewhere. :(

Would start searching for the Laura vRS and once I find one, I would get back to you for all the inputs. Cheers for inspiring a lot of people on the forum with your threads :)

Finding a used Laura TSI DSG is next to impossible as hardly a handful were sold throughout the country. Even finding a used VRS is not easy right now. Maybe a couple of years down the line a few may pop up.

As Robi mentioned its much easier to find a used TSi. But in Bangalore traffic the car is wasted potential, more so if you mod it. I have to drive out of town a lot and that's where my TSI comes into its own. You just can't beat the convenience of a small AT hatch in the city. Robi bought the Polo GT just for this reason :).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Santoshbhat (Post 3267474)
As Robi mentioned its much easier to find a used TSi. But in Bangalore traffic the car is wasted potential, more so if you mod it. I have to drive out of town a lot and that's where my TSI comes into its own. You just can't beat the convenience of a small AT hatch in the city. Robi bought the Polo GT just for this reason :).

Hmm. Yeah. I would have to settle with a 2011 or 2012 used Laura TSI. But, I am a sucker for sun roofs. Love them a lot. I guess only the VRS has that. Lets see if I can find one.

True. Polo GT is perfect for city drives with that amazing DSG gearbox. I have a 3 year old i20 diesel and love it for what it offers and it's pretty economical too. Looks like I'll have to sell the i20, buy a new Polo GT and a used Laura and mod both cars like Robi ! Now, that's a long plan. :)