Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2010, 09:26   #1
Senior - BHPian

Tata Nano CX - 20000 Kms

It was sometime in 1st week of Feb-10, I got a call from a close friend asking if I interested in a Nano. A new-owner was ready to let go of it. I said why not? It was in bangalore and just out of showroom the previous evening. It was a BS-III CX version. A quick visit to the owner and I learnt it was driven for just 10Kms and parked at home. OTR in bangalore was 1,90,000 and the ASKING price was a cool 2,10,000. I went back home and gave a piece of mind to my friend over the phone for this near non-sense referral.

But, the damage was done. By then car, the Indigo CS TDI was nearing the 2Year&40K mark; and with 1 major incident with it, Coupled with the low use and lesser necessity of the diesel in the last 6 months; I decided to put it on the block. Word was spread to the TATA Assured (buy-back) agent that he can offer a price only if a Nano CX customer is ready to let go of his allotment.

2 weeks of haggling, lots and lots of phone calls later - found one!!!

A Doc had paid 1.25L just for the fun of it and after a year (whew) decided enough is enough. He never even walked back into the showroom to cancel his allotment. He made a few calls and had my agent visit him and get the paperwork done. The poor nano was a abandoned baby!! The doc wanted 2,000Rs OVER the OTR and the TATA assured paper charges are 1,000Rs. Above that Salem OTR is ONLY 1,79,000.

All-in-all MY Baby's OTR price is 1,82,000. It is a Nano CX BS-II.

A 3 hour train ride from bangy to SALEM with family (me, wifey, my dad and mum) on wednesday, 24th Feb 2010 and a 7Km Auto ride to the showroom was a good starter for the bonhomie-ness that would prevail thruout the day and the 200Km ride back to Bangy.

A quick 30Min later, all paper work completed. After a customary 'garland with camphor-lit pooja' - the band-wagon was off......

I never felt like the 2nd owner. I took the delivery and felt very happy indeed. The RC book would show I am the 2nd guy, but I dont mind.

Riding experience:

Mum was very happy that the car felt as roomy as the Indigo CS. Dad was happy too. Me and wifey were back to the shoulder-shoulder touching days of the Alto. Chuckle.

I am not going to give a very expert review since I was very nervous on the ride. The petrol engine switch took some time to get used to and also the tiny brakes were lot less effective than the Indigo's. Nothing to complain - but I need some more KMs to write in detail.

The 4 stroke Auto like noise kept the TDI's Memory alive thru the ride. Not harsh, but the ICE needs some damping before the install. The so-called-boot space is large enough. A tad smaller than the alto;s - but enough. The often used luggage has to be between the 2-rear benchers, else cumbersome to get down and access the rear.

The rear bench wasnt that hard I am guessing. Mum dad were as tired as a post-200Km-Indigo ride... Still to test in detail.

The single light-wiper-turn-flash stick is superb example of Nano-vation...

There are 3 cloth-pockets around the front 2 seats. Wonder what can fit in them!!!

I got the wheel spanner, tow-hook, and the wheel-Jack. I cldnt find the warning-traingle. I need to search the car!!

Also got 1 spare bulb (1?) and 1 first-aid kit.

NO other freebies of any sort. I need the left mirror and floor mats ASAP.

I loved the torque delivery in 3rd and 4th gear. Very Very Smooth!! I am strictly following the 15-25-40-60 rule. Just cant believe the torque from the 25 and 40 onwards. Very high ratio for 2-3-4 and still it pulls clean. The tranny is effectively a 1-3-4-5 of a sedan with a 2nd missing.

I found the bumpy-road ride OK, nothing to complain of this sized car.

But whats with the front suspension over speed breakers!!! Damn - It felt like a tractor - going so high due to lack of any weight upfront. It needs caution over rumblers.

If there is a major grudge, its against the placement of the tiny pedals. Whosoever said that small car ought to have small pedals. Damn, even a decent office shoe will foul brake Vs Accelarator.

Ride started in upwards of 33'C conditions in central T.N. Hot enough but shown the door by this tiny-alps on roads. AC will chill to your bones with a decent Sun-film. I still dont have any but AC felt more than adequate. Sun-film will bring down AC usage a bit.

Parking was a joke - I parked close enough to the kerb (outside a BP GHAR Dhaba) and still had 2 feet left!! Damn - there is nothing beyond the wiper practically. Need more lessons.

Turning radius will leave a Auto to Shame. The near-90' turn of the front wheels causes hardly any rotation of the inner-rear wheel and its a experience to live!! What is the radius BTW? 3~ meters?

Opening day ~200Kms covered in just under 10 liters of gasoline. A FE of 20 KMPL is on the cards with more setlling down of the engine. Need to see the city-effect.

The owners manual has some interesting facts that I will scan and post later. Still have a busy week ahead. The service manual and check-replace cycle left me in tears as a former-Alto owner. This is a very economical car not only to own, but also to maintain in the long run.

Tata Nano CX - 20000 Kms-picture-001.jpg

Tata Nano CX - 20000 Kms-picture-007.jpg

Tata Nano CX - 20000 Kms-picture-008.jpg

Tata Nano CX - 20000 Kms-picture-009.jpg

Tata Nano CX - 20000 Kms-picture-010.jpg

To be contd. as a long term running report...
svsantosh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2010, 09:31   #2
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your new baby!! A nano is an attention grabber
Old 25th February 2010, 10:10   #3
BHPian

How was the car on the Highway ?
Old 25th February 2010, 10:29   #4
Senior - BHPian

Awesome. Your gearlust knows no bounds

Really nice report but the pics dont do justice!
Old 25th February 2010, 10:31   #5
Senior - BHPian

Congrats! How will you handle the registration at Bangalore?
Old 25th February 2010, 10:54   #6
BHPian

Congratulation for your new NANO.
its a very good city car. You will enjoy the drive in bangalore traffic.
Yes the AC is powerfull in NANO.
Old 25th February 2010, 11:29   #7
Senior - BHPian

That was a very good write up on the Nano. Congratulations.
Better pics are awaited
Old 25th February 2010, 11:44   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Congrats on your new baby!! A nano is an attention grabber
yeah, already 4 crowd gathering during highway breaks, and 3-4 bikes stopped for interview!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercars View Post
How was the car on the Highway ?
Will give a detailed review soon. Cant comment now since I was driving REALLY slow and was a pain you know where.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Awesome. Your gearlust knows no bounds
Really nice report but the pics dont do justice!
Thx. pics will follow soon... may be wkend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Congrats! How will you handle the registration at
Bangalore?
Nope, it will have a TN30 Regn (Salem), name xfer done to Hosur where I am from. I am sort of a NRH (Non resident Hosur'ian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KALINGA View Post
Congratulation for your new NANO.
its a very good city car. You will enjoy the drive in bangalore traffic.
Yes the AC is powerfull in NANO.
Yep, traffic was comic... I stop 3-4 feet before the other car and guys from behind keep honking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by safari_lover View Post
That was a very good write up on the Nano. Congratulations.Better pics are awaited
You bet. I will surely post more pics. This was just to start the thread.
Old 25th February 2010, 12:04   #9
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on your Nano acquisition. Hope you and family get a lot of pleasure out of using this car. Will keep tracking this thread for your regular updates on the car.

-Biju
Old 25th February 2010, 12:38   #10
Senior - BHPian

Wonderful.... everytime I read a positive review about the Nano I just feel like going out and buying my dad one. Waiting for the diesel Nano.
Old 25th February 2010, 13:53   #11
BHPian

hey Santosh ,

Congratulations man. That is a good buy. Tell us how it is when you have run for some KMs. Will come to your house to see your baby as we stay close .

Waiting for the diesel or electric nano to come.

Babu
Old 25th February 2010, 15:25   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Parking was a joke - I parked close enough to the kerb (outside a BP GHAR Dhaba) and still had 2 feet left!! Damn - there is nothing beyond the wiper practically. Need more lessons.

Turning radius will leave a Auto to Shame. The near-90' turn of the front wheels causes hardly any rotation of the inner-rear wheel and its a experience to live!! What is the radius BTW? 3~ meters?
I think the turning radius is 4 metres. On the parking front, when zigwheels reviewed the nano in March 2009, they had parked the nano lengthwise n the space occupied by the width of other Indian car. see this image from their site (http://www.zigwheels.com/Reviews/Tat...o_20090323-7-8) for yourself.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Nano CX - 20000 Kms-tatananofirstdrive.jpg  

Last edited by adits : 25th February 2010 at 15:25. Reason: remove html script
Old 25th February 2010, 15:41   #13
BHPian

Awesome pic.

I am all after looking at this pic. Should buy it and park it in this fashiona few times just for fun

Last edited by Dippy : 14th March 2010 at 09:56. Reason: Deleting extra smileys
Old 25th February 2010, 15:56   #14
Senior - BHPian

@svsantosh, congrats on your new buy. Nice write up. Drive safe.
Old 25th February 2010, 16:11   #15
BHPian

SVSanthosh, thats a nice writeup buddy. Congrats on your purchase. After reading your comment about Nano I am inclined on getting a nano. This will solve all the parking problem in every flat.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks