Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2010, 00:52   #1
BHPian

Skoda Fabia 1.2 HTP, bought and reviewed

So finally after having test driven half a dozen vehicles from beat to polo, from jazz to i10 we finally decided to go ahead for the Fabia classic 1.2 HTP.

Fahrenheit Automobiles was the dealer which I decided to buy the car from.
I was promised a March '10 manufactured Fabia by my dealer, and that i could take the delivery of car the day I made the payment in full and final, this was fulfilled with absolutely no hiccups.
I took the delivery on March 21st 2010, with the car having 7kms on ODO, and with a TC number (Trade Certificate). The salesman was having apt knowledge about the car, its features and specs as opposed to the other dealer that 'mumbled jumbled' all the features.

Overall Dealer Experience: It was a great experience buying the car from them as they gave very good service, the salesperson attended all my calls one after the another and that's post car delivery. After having the car registered on the 25th he even sent the number plates at my place and screwed them on. Its first time in my car buying experience (which includes a Civic and a C220 CDI W204) that I felt complete transparency on dealers side and of-course all the commitments were duly fulfilled on time, gave me car insurance at a price which even our family insurance guy was unable to give. a solid 5/5 for just the dealer.

Overall Car Feel (Interior Wise): The car's interiors although are very simple and sober but give a rich and airy fell to the car. minute detailing and touches like the glowing power windows switches are useful during night times, besides both front and rear door armrests are also very comforting. I feel the interiors of I20 lack the fit and finish, the central MID which is in orange color reminds me of chinese mobile which do look good from a distance but once in hand............. i'd rather not say it.
same goes for Chevy Beat which has outstanding appeal from outside but cheap quality materials on the inside are a strict no no for me. seating comfort, legroom, headroom, is also top-notch in fabia, i think it even teaches some of cars in higher segment a lesson in this regard. Its very amazing that skoda has been able to squeeze out so much interior space, as well boot space form this car.
all in all the interiors are very well appointed and give a feeling that the car is made to last an eternity.

Looks of the Car: The car has an awesome front which is very very imposing, the headlight cluster is also huge and comes from the current Skoda family (obviously), tapering roof line along with the standard rear roof spoiler also kinda gives it a sporty character. wheels are widest in class and wheel cover are of elegant design.
Although design is a subjective matter I believe it is one of the better looking cars in its segment on Indian roads.

Driveability, Engine etc: Well frankly speaking although i can read the brochure very well, deciphering the tech specs can be a bit challenging with all the bhp's at so & so rpms, toqrue figures and on and on.
well what i decoded on paper is not all that true and now i understand
why (coming below).
I actually thought that the trimurti might be very slow for me to drive considering the fact that I have driven OHC 1.5 (drivers delight) and C220 CDI (which is stunner, just floor it!! and feel the torque rush) a lot.
but it was very evident from the test drive that although its not the fastest of the mark, it does cover for it by supreme in gear acceleration.
Since it makes max torque at just 3k rpm its absolute fun to drive, you don't have to rev it very high to enjoy it. Engine response is very good, no word on mileage yet. On my recent city trip of around 8-9 kms during night i also felt that once the rpms cross some 2000-2200 mark there is some serious acceleration as if there is a turbo that just came to life.
There is a little engine clatter on the outside but once inside the little nosie is very well insulated.
The gearbox, clutch are just dream, suspension setup felt great (swallowed all the pothole with ease), i felt that the car will be sturdy at high speeds. One neagtive is that brakes are only adequate.

Equipment, Safety etc: The car has a fair bit of equipment to offer as well, front airbags standard, auto bounce back of power windows, power windows can be operated from outside as well, best sounding music system in its class (has 2 tweeters, 2 speakers all fronts), aux input etc.( read the brochure for more). In dash music system is of good quality, and gives more than decent audio output, i believe the option for rear speakers is availabe form the system itself since setting the fader to rear mutes the sound which means the rear outputs are not utilized at all.

All in all its gonna be almost a week now and i feel absolutely great owning this great VFM proposition. since our cars drive hardly 4k-8k annually (Civic 3 years and just 12000 on odo, ohc city 9 years 59000 on odo, w204 i rather be silent ) i dont think i need to be concerned about After sales and spares cots.

hope to post pice soon.

Please excuse me for a lengthy post & my grammar if i am wrong somewhere.

Last edited by aviral2122 : 28th March 2010 at 01:11.
Old 28th March 2010, 01:59   #2
BHPian

Congrats aviral for the Fabia. Finally, reading an ownership report on the baby Skoda after a long time. Good to see that the Skoda dealerships are getting better.
You have certainly brought for yourself a very sturdy companion. Do keep us updated with snaps and the A** experience.
Old 28th March 2010, 06:20   #3
Senior - BHPian

@aviral2122 - Congrats on the new buy.

You have said you considered Beat, Polo, i10, Jazz etc. Can you compare your experience with each car, and why you chose the Fabia over them? Also, there are horror stories on the A.S.S aspects of Skoda - do you have a grip in the inside so that you wont be taken for a ride anytime?
Old 28th March 2010, 08:31   #4
BANNED

Congrats on your new buy. Pictures please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviral2122 View Post
I was promised a March '10 manufactured Fabia by my dealer, and that i could take the delivery of car the day I made the payment in full and final, this was fulfilled with absolutely no hiccups.
I took the delivery on March 21st 2010, with the car having 7kms on ODO, and with a TC number (Trade Certificate).
I'm interested to know that how the dealership proved to you that its indeed a March 2010 Manufactured vehicle. Details please.
Old 28th March 2010, 10:54   #5
BHPian

Congratulations, on your new purchase. Just like others even I am waiting for a full fledged review and what led you to choose Fabia over other cars. Fabia IMO was always a nice sturdy,spacious vehicle and even though we heard horror stories about skoda A*S none of them seemed to be from Delhi.
Old 28th March 2010, 11:32   #6
Senior - BHPian

Glad to see a Fabia ownership thread after long.

Price, Discounts & Pictures Please
Old 28th March 2010, 14:24   #7
BHPian

Answers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
@aviral2122 - Congrats on the new buy.

You have said you considered Beat, Polo, i10, Jazz etc. Can you compare your experience with each car, and why you chose the Fabia over them? Also, there are horror stories on the A.S.S aspects of Skoda - do you have a grip in the inside so that you wont be taken for a ride anytime?
well like beat is a stunner on the outside, but cheap plastic quality and materials were a big let down, not to mention the space inside which is cramped when compared to fabia and jazz.
the polo which comes from the parent company of skoda, is also a gem of a car, the only thing which came in my way was the waiting period of some 10-15 weeks. although the rear legroom was a little short of being ideal i had decided that we could do with it since the overall ambience and quality of materials inside was awesome.(i considered comfortline + the oem HU)
on the i10 the excessive use of beige was a bit scary, the ride was also a bit bumpy, the interiors lacked the elegance which i felt inside both polo and fabia.
Jazz, well it was right on par with fabia interms of space and feel, although the plastics quality felt a tad on the lower side. the engine was also not a stunner by any means and given the fact that there was a huge 2 lac diff in prices, jazz was out of question.

to answer your last part ,not that i now anyone on the inside, i am more than confident that the quality of After Sales and service will be good (atleast from Fahrenheit).
and there also comes the fact that since our cars have very limited runs the fact of expensive spares doesn't haunt me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildon View Post
Congrats on your new buy. Pictures please.

I'm interested to know that how the dealership proved to you that its indeed a March 2010 Manufactured vehicle. Details please.
the salesperson first gave me the vin number of several vehicles, all which had tenth character as A which means it is 2010 manufactured, then there is this some kind of white plastic protective shields on skoda cars on the bonnet and roof which has a sticker which states month, year of application and month year of expiry, while a laura had a feb-09 sticker all the fabias had march-09 stickers on them + since the salesperson was very knowledgeable and had been true thus far i also belived him.
this will be clarified completly once i get the RC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero Cool View Post
Congratulations, on your new purchase. Just like others even I am waiting for a full fledged review and what led you to choose Fabia over other cars. Fabia IMO was always a nice sturdy,spacious vehicle and even though we heard horror stories about skoda A*S none of them seemed to be from Delhi.
very true, its built like a tank, it was the interior space and fit finish that led me to choose this vehicle over others that i TD'ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
Glad to see a Fabia ownership thread after long.

Price, Discounts & Pictures Please
well the original exshowroom= 553511
spl offer discount= -54511
new price= 499000

insurance was initally some 14k rupees the dealer had it done at some 11.5k rupees
registartion charges and road tax was charged the same amount for which i got the official rto reciepet i.e., some 26k Rs.
got the mud flaps, floor mats, number plates as free.

pics coming soon.

Last edited by aviral2122 : 28th March 2010 at 14:34.
Old 28th March 2010, 15:00   #8
Senior - BHPian

Where are the pics.? The fabia is a real good car. the only thing that keep people away is the a.s.s stories. The engine was a surprise to me too. I thought it responded really well for a 1.2 engine. And it was as stable as cars in much higher categories at 3 digit speeds. What are the bhp/torque figures for the 1.2?

The only one thing i hated in the car was the very upright rear seat that gave no support whatsoever.

Pictures Please.
Old 28th March 2010, 16:48   #9
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your new fabialicious hatch!

A suggestion from my side: To get the best performance from the 1.2 motor, use at least speed petrol.
It gets the best out of the engine and hopefully the low rpm jerks are not there.
The mid range is pretty strong, but gets better after the running period.

I would still rate the fabia as having the best quality interior plastics, fit and finish of a premium hatchback followed by Jazz, I 20, polo and punto in that order.

Its a 1198cc, 3 cylinder, 12V DOHC with 70ps@5400 rpm and 108 NM torque@3000 rpm.
0-100 comes in about late 15s.
Old 28th March 2010, 17:27   #10
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviral2122 View Post
the salesperson first gave me the vin number of several vehicles, all which had tenth character as A which means it is 2010 manufactured, then there is this some kind of white plastic protective shields on skoda cars on the bonnet and roof which has a sticker which states month, year of application and month year of expiry, while a laura had a feb-09 sticker all the fabias had march-09 stickers on them + since the salesperson was very knowledgeable and had been true thus far i also belived him.
this will be clarified completly once i get the RC.
The 10th digit of SKODA VIN represents the Year of Manufacturing , and in your case its A = 2010.

The 6th digit of VIN represents Month of Manufacturing if March it should be C

e.g A= January
B= February
C= March ...... etc

Awaiting for the pictures of your beautiful car.
Old 28th March 2010, 19:49   #11
cLJ
BHPian

Congratulations on your Skoda Fabia. The only drawback you will have is the ***, which, I think, will be costly. Have a safe drive.

CLJ
Old 28th March 2010, 20:18   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildon View Post
The 10th digit of SKODA VIN represents the Year of Manufacturing , and in your case its A = 2010.

The 6th digit of VIN represents Month of Manufacturing if March it should be C

e.g A= January
B= February
C= March ...... etc

Awaiting for the pictures of your beautiful car.
just checked the vin and indeed the 6th digit is C.
thanks for the info.
Old 28th March 2010, 21:41   #13
BHPian

just came home and the first thing i did is snap it and post 'em.

Skoda Fabia 1.2 HTP, bought and reviewed-dsc01598-custom.jpg

Skoda Fabia 1.2 HTP, bought and reviewed-dsc01599-custom.jpg

Skoda Fabia 1.2 HTP, bought and reviewed-dsc01602-custom.jpg
plush interiors!!

Skoda Fabia 1.2 HTP, bought and reviewed-dsc01603-custom.jpg
green backlit console and instrument panel.

Skoda Fabia 1.2 HTP, bought and reviewed-dsc01604-custom.jpg

Skoda Fabia 1.2 HTP, bought and reviewed-dsc01605-custom.jpg
exception legroom is simply unbelievable.

Skoda Fabia 1.2 HTP, bought and reviewed-dsc01608-custom.jpg

Skoda Fabia 1.2 HTP, bought and reviewed-dsc01610-custom.jpg
boot space is also great!

Skoda Fabia 1.2 HTP, bought and reviewed-dsc01622-custom.jpg
well this sticker is an inspiration (VW India Pvt. Ltd.)

Skoda Fabia 1.2 HTP, bought and reviewed-dsc01623-custom.jpg
glove box is cooled and illuminated.

Skoda Fabia 1.2 HTP, bought and reviewed-dsc01624-custom.jpg
back lit power window switches on all doors.

Skoda Fabia 1.2 HTP, bought and reviewed-dsc01629-custom.jpg

Skoda Fabia 1.2 HTP, bought and reviewed-dsc01634-custom.jpg

Attachment 317444

Skoda Fabia 1.2 HTP, bought and reviewed-dsc01638-custom.jpg

Last edited by v12 : 29th March 2010 at 10:00.
Old 28th March 2010, 22:07   #14
BHPian

Hi aviral i am really pleased to read through your ownership review of fabia.even i too am contemplating one especially as there are really fabulous discounts on offer now and i personally feel its the only hatchback that will give me the same secure feel i get in the palio!!

My only worry regarding the petrol is the refinement which many have told is quite poor especially since its a 3-pot motor.how do you feel it?especially when the engine is cold?

Of course i am interested to know your a.s.s. experience and mileage in the city!!

And personally i really like this colour of your fabia
Old 28th March 2010, 22:49   #15
kkg
BHPian

Congratulations for your new fabia.It is a beautiful car and the best in class as far as the ride and fit & finish of the interiors are concerned. After hearing so many horror stories on this forum, you still went ahead and bought this beauty, you are a brave man. Hope you don't experience any of those.

Your car and your pleasant experiences with Skoda A** in future should start a new fan following for Skoda here on Team BHP. Fingers crossed.

BTW you forgot to Edit the registration no in the second last pic.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks