Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2010, 14:59   #1
BHPian

Got My White Tiger :) (Indica Vista QJD Aura with ABS)

Guys, got my Indica Vista Quadrajet Aura ABS on Saturday (27/03/10) . A brief of how things unfolded.

I had booked a Grey one with Prerana motors 3 weeks ago, but my first choice was always Porcelain White and they had almost convinced me that it will take them 3-4 weeks to get one and with the April price hike, (VAT, road tax) in Karnataka, i decided to settle down with grey. Fortunately, my first test drive was from Concorde motors and the sales guy (Ajit) got in touch with me again and i explained him the situation. He politely asked me to cancel the booking with Prerana motors and promised me that he will get me a porcelain white car in a weeks time. And i happy to oblige , Prerana guys had not deposited my booking amount cheque yet and they promptly gave it back to me , not questions asked.

The very same day i called the Concorde salesman to my place and booked my White tiger . They offered me a finance option with Axis bank initially but for some godforsaken reason, axis bank had reduced their total funding amount for Vista (they could only fund 70 % of the on road price) and i decided not to go with them. Next option that was given to me was HDFC bank and they turned out to be pretty nice folks. They offered me a loan for 9.75 % fixed interest rate for 5 yrs with 90 % on road funding (though i finally ended up making a down payment of 1.5 L). There was some issue with my bank statement and proceedings were delayed by 2 days. And then came the D day.

It was a bright Saturday morning, my friend (who apparently owns a Palio purchased from the same showroom) decided to come along, thanks to team bhp PDI thread which advised me to take a good observer along. It was almost half past 12 when we reached the showroom. After the formalities and a couple of signatures later, i got the first glimpse of my white tiger . She looked beautiful and not to forget "BIG". However, will set aside my happy memories recollections for a while and do some reality check.

PDI:

Thanks to team bhp thread again, it saved me a lot of pain and sorrow. My good friend (Prashu) and me were thoroughly inspecting the car and when the Sales guy was showing us the spare tyre, my friend just stopped him and noticed that the spare tyre was used . We asked the sales guy and he tried to give us some explanation, he somehow got the courage to tell me that my white beauty had a flat tyre on her way from the yard to the showroom. I asked him to stop right there and told him that i am not taking her home with that tyre in the boot. We also checked the date on the tyre (i urge prospective car buyers to do the same) and the spare tyre was of Sep 09 make and the other 4 tyres where Feb 10, this made our case stronger and finally the guy replaced the tyre from another vista (probably at the cost of some ignorant customers satisfaction). Couple of other parts were loose (high mounted stop lamp, driver side door panel) and we got it fixed.

Finally i got to drive my White beauty, she is quite a powerhouse with a good noise and vibration insulation. I felt like driving a big car and noticed the indicab guys making way for the bigger sibling (i was tired of being pushed around in my zen). Still getting to know her and not much of highway driving, so not much i can write about my driving experience.

Couple of problems i did notice are

1) Front right tyre screeched and skidded when i tried to test the ABS, i was at around 80-90 KMPH when i braked, i did make sure there was no one behind me for a good 1 km. Her alignment is slightly off, i thought this may be the reason for my bad braking experience. Not too sure though, any inputs on this is much appreciated.

2) The manual power steering makes some liquid pumping noise when am trying to reverse my car and steering locked at the extreme ends and this noise comes from the steering wheel itself.

Any suggestions on this would be really helpful

Pictures would follow soon...

Last edited by Technocrat : 30th March 2010 at 17:53. Reason: Smiley usage is restricted to two smilies per post, please read our board rules carefully, thanks
gurudutt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2010, 17:51   #2
BHPian

Me First !!!
Congrats gurudutt on your Vista QJet ABS

Good that you got the detailed PDI done to find something about the spare tire.

Btw, I feel its too early to test ABS [just my personal opinion].

Anyway, I have this text from Safari manual and I am sure you would find in all Tata cars that is ABS fitted.

The driver feels the effort of the ABS through the pulsating of the brake pedal and audible noise in the brake system.
This is absolutely Normal. This should not be interpreted as a fault in the brakes. On the contrary it’s the indication that the ABS is working. This is an intentional warning to the driver that a wheel or wheels are tending to lock up due to the limit of tyre to road adhesion. In this situation it is important to keep the brake pedal depressed fully so that the ABS can regulate the brake application. On No account pump the brake pedal.

Good & Safe Motoring !
Prem.

Last edited by kaviprem : 30th March 2010 at 17:53.
kaviprem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2010, 17:55   #3
BHPian

Hey, congratulations!
Good that you found the used spare tire during the P.D.I check.
Do run it in properly.

Last edited by aman9393 : 30th March 2010 at 17:56.
Old 30th March 2010, 18:13   #4
Senior - BHPian

Congrats. But another point as to why PDI is quite essential.

Many a time due to the excitment of taking delivery, we fail to do this process
Old 30th March 2010, 20:02   #5
BHPian

Hey congrats. The liquid pumping noise must be the hydraulic ps working, so should be normal?
Old 30th March 2010, 21:19   #6
Senior - BHPian

Congrats gurudutt on your WHITE TIGER.
Keep its roaring down during the run-in time .
Upload some pics .

Njoy
Old 31st March 2010, 00:59   #7
BHPian

Congrats on your new Indica Vista. Its' a really nice car, barely resembling its' old cousin the Indica. Please do post some interior pics when you find the time.

PS: Tigers are highly endangered in our country - not sure they qualify as a compliment anymore.

Last edited by Fornax : 31st March 2010 at 01:01.
Old 31st March 2010, 01:19   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviprem View Post

Btw, I feel its too early to test ABS [just my personal opinion].

How do you say this? We wait until 1st service to test it then? Either you are crazy for even assuming this or tata continues to make rotten cars. However, i think we can safely assume its both
Its a safety feature for godsakes, its got to work from day 1. I recommend you test it on your safari. And please verify advice before posting it. Indica owner, take it back to the dealer pronto.

Note from Mod : Please put across your points in a respectful way and avoid personally attacking other members. Thanks.

Last edited by Rehaan : 31st March 2010 at 18:13. Reason: Please see the note that has been put at the end of your post by the Support Team.
Old 31st March 2010, 08:41   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats on the Vista. A wonderful VFM car and the space for the price is unbeatable has become safer with the inclusion of ABS.

Enjoy many more happy miles with the Vista.
Old 31st March 2010, 09:37   #10
Senior - BHPian

Hi Guru congrats on your new tiger,

I guess its too early to have checked the ABS functionality, but I know going by your spare tyre experience you just wanted to make sure things are all working.

If you are so doubtful about the alignment, why dont you get the well alignment checked outside, but anyway the alignment check will be part of the first free services.

But dont think alignment should be responsible for the screeching for the ABS.
Old 31st March 2010, 10:12   #11
BHPian

Congrats on your white tiger. I think this porcelain white is quite a different white from what is normally available. If I remember correct, there is a small premium exclusively for this color. I test drove the Quadrajet and being a previous owner of Indica, the Vista is miles ahead in terms of refinement, performance, fit and finish. Having driven the Indica since 2000, the Vista Quadrajet is in different league all together.

Take care of it and drive safe.
Old 31st March 2010, 10:17   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
... Either you are crazy for even assuming this or tata continues to make rotten cars. However, i think we can safely assume its both
Its a safety feature for godsakes, its got to work from day 1. I recommend you test it on your safari. And please verify advice before posting it. Indica owner, take it back to the dealer pronto.
Buddy, Please read again. I said "my personal opinion" (NOT advice, NOT recommendation).
It doesnt look nice you being harsh on both me and Tata (by saying "continues to make rotten cars"). I do respect your view or opinion on Tata cars. But, that should be put as your "opnion", but NOT like "a fact".

On your recommendation to test my Safari - Thanks and I will do so when I feel so.

One simple thing that we all like to follow in public forums like this and I am sure all/most of senior folks and mods would agree - One need not accept others' view or opinion. But, should definitely respect that.

Prem.
kaviprem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2010, 10:33   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by askicode View Post
Congrats on your white tiger. I think this porcelain white is quite a different white from what is normally available. If I remember correct, there is a small premium exclusively for this color. I test drove the Quadrajet and being a previous owner of Indica, the Vista is miles ahead in terms of refinement, performance, fit and finish. Having driven the Indica since 2000, the Vista Quadrajet is in different league all together.

Take care of it and drive safe.
Yeah, i had to cough up around 3500 more for the porcelain white with no regrets of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
How do you say this? We wait until 1st service to test it then? Either you are crazy for even assuming this or tata continues to make rotten cars. However, i think we can safely assume its both
I beg to differ, Tata has improved a lot over the years. And anyways, i dont think Tata would manufacture the ABS unit, am pretty sure its from a vendor.

About other aspects, i would say its a good combination. Tata build, Fiat engine + gearbox rocks big time. Tata's exterior build is solid, try lifting the hood and try to do the same in any of the Maruti cars, am sure you would clearly feel the difference. I feel safe which is more important to me than the plastics inside.

Last edited by Technocrat : 31st March 2010 at 13:59.
gurudutt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2010, 11:57   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by milestogo View Post
Hey congrats. The liquid pumping noise must be the hydraulic ps working, so should be normal?
I know its because of HPS, but my friends Palio too has it and i didn't hear any noise. Not sure why its audible in my Vista.

Thanks a lot guys, will upload pics in a couple of days

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 20 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by Technocrat : 31st March 2010 at 13:59. Reason: Please read the note in your post, thanks
Old 31st March 2010, 12:02   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurudutt View Post
Yeah, i had to cough up around 3500 more for the porcelain white with no regrets of course.
Congratulations for your White Porcelain Tiger. Initially i thought that vista does not come in Porcelain white now that you have got one, I am eagerly awaiting for pictures from your side both Exterior as well as interior.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks