Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2010, 12:51   #106
Team-BHP Support

Yabadabadoo! (Yoohoo has been used once in this thread already).

Push the top from behind - how simple is that! Now my Civic cockpit is perfect - my only grouse was I couldn't reach the gear lever properly with my left hand on the handrest. That has been solved now

Those tyres definitely look cooler, but the grooves are not as deep as A-drives - right?. So I'm guessing your Yokos will need a replacement sooner (assuming both the tyre material is equally soft or hard).

Let's check our tyres again after another 40,000 km
Old 8th June 2010, 12:07   #107
Senior - BHPian

Celebrated 1500kms and one month of ownership, by bouncing off the limiter on my way to office today!!

I'm beginning to get a hang of the car - you know the getting 'connected' thing which I have with the Baleno.

@smartcat, you are correct. It does go to 7K rpm. The limiter hits thereabouts. Saw 104 in 2nd and 155 in 3rd before the limiter disciplined me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Those tyres definitely look cooler, but the grooves are not as deep as A-drives - right?. So I'm guessing your Yokos will need a replacement sooner (assuming both the tyre material is equally soft or hard).

Let's check our tyres again after another 40,000 km
I believe this set should last 40K. Though I'll probably switch at 30-35K. I like new rubber
Old 10th June 2010, 14:40   #108
Senior - BHPian

The FE calculator is pretty optimistic I must say.

3rd tank top up done yesterday. Trip B was indicating 11kmpl. But by my own calculations it's 10kmpl !

I wonder if this is a ploy by Honda? I guess most people would not bother calculating on their own - and hence would spread the word that their Honda is giving wonderful FE as indicated in the display !

I'll hold judgement till a few more refills ...
Old 10th June 2010, 15:00   #109
Team-BHP Support

I got 8.3 kmpl on my first tankfull - how tragic! I have decided not to cross 3000 RPM in my next tankfull to check the FE again.
Old 18th June 2010, 23:46   #110
Senior - BHPian

Crossed 2000kms today - 40 days of ownership.

Last tankful - same story. Top up calculation gave 10.7kmpl, whereas the on board FE calculator displayed close to 12 !!

Getting the hang of the car more and more each day - the synergy is growing. Have settled upon a wheel and seat setting. The dash buttons are very well placed. Very easy to reach. The cockpit ergonomics is quite wonderful.

Gripes:
# A metallic twang when I first turn the steering wheel after the car is parked for a while. As if some tension is being released.

# Would have liked the wiper to have adjustable speed settings at the lowest wiper speed position. The Baleno has it.

ps: The promised and due car cover arrived on time around the normal 1st service date.
Old 18th June 2010, 23:52   #111
Team-BHP Support

I agree - the lowest wiper speed setting is "too fast". I have to keep switching off the wiper in light drizzles.
Old 7th July 2010, 18:08   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
Last tankful - same story. Top up calculation gave 10.7kmpl, whereas the on board FE calculator displayed close to 12 !!
Another top up and the onboard display is still inflating FE by almost 1.5kmpl ! This is ridiculous.

The dealership called today. The Registration Smart Card has arrived. I should be getting it in a couple of days. It took around 55 days.
Old 8th July 2010, 00:20   #113
Senior - BHPian

Hey Shuv, nice to see both you and your civic doing great. I liked the set of Yokos and the description you gave while selecting them of the lot. Tried handing and braking thereafter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
The dealership called today. The Registration Smart Card has arrived. I should be getting it in a couple of days. It took around 55 days.
Even I got my Polo's RC in about same time. Dont know why it takes sooo long?
Old 8th July 2010, 00:52   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
I liked the set of Yokos and the description you gave while selecting them of the lot. Tried handing and braking thereafter?
Handling - difficult to comment with respect to the MXV8s since I was still getting used to the car when I had them. In fact even after close to 2.5K kms, I'm still more comfortable chucking the Baleno into a corner than the Civic. So, I guess I'll need to clock more kms till I get to that comfort level with the car to comment on the tyres .. although no complaints till now.

But braking - I do feel that the ABS kicks in later than what it used to with the Michelins.
Old 14th July 2010, 00:06   #115
Senior - BHPian

2 months and reaching 3000kms on the odo.

Went for the first proper highway run this weekend. Solo 440kms round trip on NH-2.

Engine
On hitting the highway, the first thing that struck me in comparison with the Baleno, is how easily it went upto 120-130. Cruising at 130 is a joy and effortless. Ride at those speeds is lovely. The car glides. When revved, it pulls and pulls. There's no letup and does not feel stressed/struggling at any point of time. Reconfirmed, that 3rd gear hits the revv limiter at 155. Also managed the double ton in 4th .. throttle pedal mashed into the carpet.

In city traffic, where the car is used predominantly, I find it pretty comfortable. In fact even in slow traffic, it seems fine. I've always had the habit of downshifting to 1st in inching traffic even with the Baleno. I do the same here and face no issues.

AC
Chills wonderfully and thankfully there's absolutely no perceptible power drop with the AC on.
I do feel though that somehow, external air gets in even when it's set to recirculation mode. Not much, but still it does. For eg, if I am behind a diesel fume spewing Sumo, I can make out a bit of the smell inside the cabin.

Leather
Since there's no power drop with the AC on, it stays on 100%. So the leather is quite easy to live with in this humidity. Also, it vindicated my opting for leather to protect against the kid habits .. when he spilled a bottle of Minute Maid on the seat ! A damp cloth mop and all was well again. Quite comfortable leather, though I keep thinking of the plushness of the leather seats in the Superb !

Rattles
Slight. Or maybe I'm over reacting. I think there's some from the seat belt anchors on the B pillar. And some from the dash.

Add to that
a spring-release-type faint muted 'twang' when the car moves for the first time after being parked for a while.

And also
a constant faint 'krrrrr' that seems to come from the engine through the slatted panel at the base of the front quarter glass. The sound goes down a notch if the panel is covered by my palm. And no I don't think this is static from the ICE.

FE
My city drive is on fairly open and good roads. With a bit of bumper to bumper at times. Have consistently got 10.5-11kmpl.

Highway drive. Managed 11 here too! No prizes for guessing why. Most of it at 125-130 and reaching those speeds fairly quickly too.

Brakes
Excellent. And they didn't seem to fade over a 2.5 hr journey, with the constant slowing down till trucks moved over to the left lane allowing me to pass.

Steering
Well weighted and yet light in the city. I still prefer the Baleno's heavy steering feel (possibly due to the 195 tyres). But am getting used to the Civic. The 205 tyres do not seem to have affected the feel much. Wonderful to hold onto.

Ergonomics
I would have preferred a bit more of side bolstering and lumbar support in the seats. Doesn't feel as snug as the Baleno seats. But the overall ergonomics are spot on. The gear lever and the armrest perfectly positioned, the dash controls easy to reach, the switchgear stalks perfect for operation with the hands on the wheel. Love that I can reach the horn with my left/right thumb when gripping the wheel at the 10 past 10 position.

I still have a problem with the throttle and brake pedals - possibly due to how I position my foot. Quite a few times, when braking hard, I tend to catch the throttle pedal too with the right side of the foot. So there I am - braking hard with the engine revving away too !

Reversing
I think I've got the hang of it. It's a good thing that, to me, the object car/wall/etc seem to be closer than they actually are ! I often park, walk around to the rear and find I still have a couple of feet more than I thought I had.

Rear View Mirrors
Large with a lot of visibility. Someone had bent the LHS mirror all the way back. I had a sinking feeling. Pulled it back. to the normal folded position. It seemed loose. Opened and closed it once with the switch and then all seemed well. Phew.

Yoko AVS dB V550
Quite like these tyres. Done close to 2.5K kms on them. Both wet and dry grip is fine for my requirements and they are quiet too. Noticed the first puncture today. An inch long screw. Not sure when it went it.

Overall - am extremely happy with my decision to stretch my budget for this car.
Old 14th July 2010, 00:13   #116
Senior - BHPian

Early morning journey. NH-2.

ShuvCivic - Tafeta White VM/T-nh2.jpg

Damp roads, some a lot more than this.
ShuvCivic - Tafeta White VM/T-damproads.jpg

While returning. It was pretty humid with the cloud cover. Camera lens had mist.
ShuvCivic - Tafeta White VM/T-wayhome.jpg

Bug splats really show up on a white car.
ShuvCivic - Tafeta White VM/T-bugs.jpg

Whattacar
ShuvCivic - Tafeta White VM/T-profile.jpg
shuvc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2010, 00:24   #117
Team-BHP Support

Isn't the bit about AC letting fumes in, a little odd? Do get it checked at the next service. Or perhaps I guess it was a particular stinky Sumo ahead of you.

And your city mileage is excellent. No comments on the highway FE though!
Old 14th July 2010, 07:19   #118
BHPian

Shuvc Sir ,

I know I am quite late here , but as they say its better late then never .. Congratulations on the purchase .
I don't know much about the technical aspects of the cars , but Civic has been my dream car since the time its launched . There is no way I can afford it but maybe someday...
The interior pic posted by you gave me goose bumps . Congrats once again enjoy and take care of her .
Drive safe

Regards
Old 14th July 2010, 11:10   #119
Senior - BHPian

Asansol Trip? how come 440kms? how far is Asansol from Durgapur?

Enjoy it to the fullest take care and drive safe.
Old 14th July 2010, 14:05   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Or perhaps I guess it was a particular stinky Sumo ahead of you.
Yep. It is perceptible, only in case of a particularly strong smell/stink outside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashant.dinkar View Post
There is no way I can afford it but maybe someday...
Thanks ... and you surely will someday! I would not have believed earlier this decade that I'd someday be able to buy this car. But I have been able to take the plunge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
What is this Blue LED thing? IIRC i didn't see any thing like that in D's Civic.

Do you have a Pic of the same?
A night picture is difficult. The LED is located to the left of the perforations circled in red.
ShuvCivic - Tafeta White VM/T-dashoheadlights.jpg

Asansol - Durgapur is around 40-45kms.

Last edited by shuvc : 14th July 2010 at 14:07.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks