Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2011, 16:55   #241
Senior - BHPian

Re: ShuvCivic - Tafeta White VM/T

Quote:
Originally Posted by alto99 View Post
Could you please and approx breakup of the cost?
Don't recall exactly. Approximately a pair of front discs cost 5K and a set of front pads cost 5K too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
You can change the discs alone and there's no need to change the pads. To remove the uneven wear on the pads they just have to sand down the pads to level them.
Yep. I thought so too. Will ask him the next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Btw, Discs wearing out at 14k kms & under a year - shouldn't they be replacing under warranty? Or is that the average life of a Civic's discs?
AT discs do wear out faster. But 14K is surely LOW. But then again, it's not that bad. I'll try to post a snap soon. Due to Murphy's active nature on Sunday, I left my camera in the car (friends) which drove us back into Calcutta . He stays in South Cal, me North-East !

Will warranty work? Can they not attribute this to wear and tear? Maybe excessive hard braking with muck in the discs etc ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
And ladies will never forget that anywhere.
Well in our case, she did place her handbag/purse in her laptop bag which then went into the boot !
Old 3rd May 2011, 19:10   #242
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
Will warranty work? Can they not attribute this to wear and tear? Maybe excessive hard braking with muck in the discs etc ?
Its definitely worth a try. I have no idea about Honda's warranty philosophies - I'd say they won't be very magnanimous but its still worth a shot.

14k is too low for wear & tear - looks like a defect to me.
Old 3rd May 2011, 20:53   #243
Senior - BHPian

Quite an unfortunate event you had, shuvc! We had an similar experience in our old Swift when we were traveling to Rajasthan in 2007! MASS had helped promptly in our case to get the car unlocked ASAP!

About the brake disks, why not get this work done from an independent service station! Would be cheaper and you will not need to replace the parts (pads etc) that don't require attention at the moment!
Old 3rd May 2011, 21:04   #244
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Apparently only the discs cannot be changed. The pads need to be changed too. Is this correct?

Both disc and pad sets are around 5K for a pair. So a 10-11K damage in case I decide to replace them.
Yes Shuv, its better to change brake pads along with disc change/phase (polish as you said).

Have posted details on same quiet a few times, so dont want to be repetitive. You may want to check a few posts. Links below.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2333854

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post1426681

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post2264253

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post2264716

I am a bit skeptical if Honda will honour warranty on discs but there is no harm in trying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
To remove the uneven wear on the pads they just have to sand down the pads to level them.
That certainly can be tried, but if discs have gone uneven so early, I believe that the pads would have gone hard too. My cedia's pads went hard at 28k and not just mitsubishi but also my friendly mechanic asked me to replace the pads along with discs shim, but that was ofcourse after checking the condition of pads.

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 3rd May 2011 at 21:22.
Old 3rd May 2011, 21:42   #245
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Its definitely worth a try. I have no idea about Honda's warranty philosophies - I'd say they won't be very magnanimous but its still worth a shot.

14k is too low for wear & tear - looks like a defect to me.

I would go with that too.

I had a similar premature brake issue on my Ikon and they got me new disks. I opted for changing the Pads additionally at my cost.

14k looks like too low, given that you are a cautious operator.
Old 8th May 2011, 19:26   #246
Senior - BHPian

Happy Birthday !

Happy Birthday to ShuvCivic !

1 year and 14.5K kms of vindication of following the heart and taking the plunge. I'm always looking for an opportunity to fire up that engine

Suuuuuper Car
ShuvCivic - Tafeta White VM/T-1year.jpg
shuvc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2011, 20:15   #247
Senior - BHPian

Re: Happy Birthday !

Quote:

Lovely, ShuvCivic's such a beauty! I really love this picture - the car, the colours, the background - and wish I could treat my BQ to something similar.

Wish ShuvCivic and ShuvC many many more miles and birthdays of happy VTEC-revving!

Regards,
spadix
Old 8th May 2011, 21:58   #248
dot
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations. Hoping for many more years of sweet revvin!

Lovely picture BTW.
Old 8th May 2011, 23:05   #249
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Shuv, 15k in 1 year is not bad, certainly means baleno has been doing the second car job.

Touchwood, the car still looks brand new and you've ripped the tarmac with your Suuuuper car.
Old 8th May 2011, 23:19   #250
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

1 year and 14.5K kms of vindication of following the heart and taking the plunge. I'm always looking for an opportunity to fire up that engine

Suuuuuper Car
Attachment 541569
Lovely snap, that is! Love the greenery around! And the car looks superb and as good as new! Wish you years of happiness and revving with that engine!

Civic is like an indigenous Ferrari for Indian tarmac! Looks brilliant and drives even better!
Old 9th May 2011, 13:54   #251
Senior - BHPian

@spadix, @dot, @gaurav, @Ace - thanks a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
Congrats Shuv, 15k in 1 year is not bad, certainly means baleno has been doing the second car job.
Yep, Baleno does take up the second car duties and has logged around 6K kms in the last 1 year. Hoping the low yet regular running will help eke out another 2-3 years of peaceful ownership.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
Touchwood, the car still looks brand new
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace F355 View Post
And the car looks superb and as good as new!
Yeah so it seems from the snap! Although there are sooo many blemishes :( mainly on the bumpers though.
Old 9th May 2011, 15:32   #252
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yeah so it seems from the snap! Although there are sooo many blemishes :( mainly on the bumpers though.
Same's the case with BQ :(, to go along with minor blemishes on the doors. I have now developed a morbid fear of taking BQ to a mall or any other place with a crowded parking lot. The passengers of neighbouring cars use BQ's doors as a bump-stop when opening their cars' doors - even if I park a fair distance away .

Regards,
spadix
Old 9th May 2011, 15:42   #253
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations on your first anniversary. Do you plan to share a short summary of pros and cons during this period of ownership?

It would also be interesting to know the overall cost of maintenance till date
Old 9th May 2011, 16:51   #254
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Although there are sooo many blemishes :( mainly on the bumpers though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
Same's the case with BQ :(, to go along with minor blemishes on the doors.
These are owner's remorse. Typically owner's eye goes to the "blemishes" first.

Suggestion: Maybe ShuvCivic and BQ can have a photo shoot together at some exotic locales on the eastern coast. Wouldn't the white and black Civic look smashing together?
Old 10th May 2011, 01:53   #255
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Do you plan to share a short summary of pros and cons during this period of ownership?
Pros: Ah well, I guess they have been well documented Here are some from a long list !
  • Fuel Efficiency - Yes surprising ! But I've been pretty surprised by the efficiency of this engine. One can make rapid progress and yet get 11kmpl with AC without really trying too hard in the city. It helps that my route has good roads which are still not very crowded. But then, it easily matches that of the Baleno under exactly similar conditions (same route, same driver) even at higher speeds. During the winters (no AC), I consistently logged 12.5 to 13kmpl
  • Comfort - It's really effortless over long distances. Though it does not have lumbar support, I've found a sweet spot with the seat adjustments which results in no fatigue at all.
  • Steering - Excellent ! To hold and to drive. There isn't an iota of play anywhere. Not a single moment of dicey feedback.
  • Ergonomics - Very well thought out. Everything is so easy to reach/use. Foot pedals are very well placed.
  • ORVMs - Love them. Large and very useful. Bend backwards and quite safe that way.
  • After Sales - Has been a pleasant experience till date. Courteous, lots of follow up etc.
  • Running cost - Quite cheap for the segment.
  • Interiors - Ages well. In fact does not seem to age !
  • Looks - What takes me by surprise almost everyday is how many heads it still turns 5 years after launch and on the verge of being phased out !
  • Blah blah blah .. I could go on and on !

Cons: Hmmmm .. let me think !!
  • A-pillar - Visibility does get hampered at times.
  • Tweeter pods - Would have liked to have them on the A-pillar
  • Low end torque - Is not a major issue for me. Absolutely non-issue with the AC switched off. With the AC on it hampers some times.
  • Boot space - A bit more would have helped. Having a sub does not help either. But I've not faced any major issues since I've not had to carry big suitcases yet and may not need to either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
It would also be interesting to know the overall cost of maintenance till date
Expenses @ 14262kms after 1 year.
----------------------------------
# Fuel Rs. 73674
# Punctures 2 x 60 = Rs. 120
# 3rd Service Rs. 1219
# 4th Service Rs. 2427
----------------------------------
Total : Rs. 3766 (30 paise per kilometer)
Total with petrol : 77440 (Rs. 5.20 per kilometer)

C+ segment car for C segment maintenance costs?

@Dot - Nice suggestion ! Someday, if and when I manage to go for a loooong looooong drive !

Last edited by shuvc : 10th May 2011 at 01:56.
shuvc is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks