Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2010, 17:58   #61
BHPian

Hay man,

Nice car. Not seen too many blue jetta's around, Looks sweet !

About the headlights,
I dont think you should be getting them HIDs, They work well only with a projector.! Without a globe they just scatter light all over the place and blind oncoming traffic.
Just read around here,
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...-here-266.html
I suggest you stick to higher wattage halogen lamps. Yours might be a H1+H7 combo. Look through your car manual.
My swift is running 100/90 H4 bulbs with a roots relay, made a HUGE difference especially the high beam ! Helps a lot on the highways..
My sx4 has stock bulbs, and sometimes i check if my lights are still on or not!

Cheers !
Old 7th July 2010, 18:49   #62
BHPian

I went through the Auto Lighting thread. Searched for both volkswagen and jetta. Both keywords didn't throw up any results. When I spoke to Technokrat, they are saying for low beam you can put Xenons, and for high beam go for 100/90. He said H1 is the socket for high beams. I am going to check the manual tonight and check what are the sockets for low beam as well and see if I can go for Philips Xtreme Power for both the low and high beams. Suggest I take this discussion further in the auto lighting thread?

Another update: I have put 3M RE50 for the front and side windows and the back. I am planning to go for the 3M CR70 for the front windshield as recommended by many fellow bhpians.
Old 10th July 2010, 11:27   #63
BHPian

Update!

The CR70 film was put for the windshield yesterday. I drove in the night and I didn't find any difficulty due to the 30% loss in visibility. That was my main problem in going for the front film which has now vanished. During the morning however on my way to work, I find that the 3M branding on the film is somewhat disctracting when there is nothing else in the windshield. That is, when there are trees around, you hardly notice it, but when it is clear sky, it is very prominent.
Old 10th July 2010, 12:25   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi Deepak,

So if I understood this correctly - your Jetta's headlights are not sufficiently bright for you (whatever may be the reason - the lights themselves are weak or the oncoming vehicles use extra bright lights like HIDs in non projector housing blinding you - which is a sheer lack of civic sence on their part).

And again, if I understood you correctly - your solution to this is to apply 70% visibility film on your windscreen (which reduces your own visibility by 30% which you claim does not actually happen in which case what exactly the film does, I wonder) and then install bright HIDs on your own car to win over (by blinding) the oncoming traffic - a tit for tat civic sence (or lack thereof).

Hmm...interesting...

Last edited by anandpadhye : 10th July 2010 at 12:28.
anandpadhye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2010, 19:19   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Hi Deepak,

So if I understood this correctly - your Jetta's headlights are not sufficiently bright for you (whatever may be the reason - the lights themselves are weak or the oncoming vehicles use extra bright lights like HIDs in non projector housing blinding you - which is a sheer lack of civic sence on their part).

And again, if I understood you correctly - your solution to this is to apply 70% visibility film on your windscreen (which reduces your own visibility by 30% which you claim does not actually happen in which case what exactly the film does, I wonder) and then install bright HIDs on your own car to win over (by blinding) the oncoming traffic - a tit for tat civic sence (or lack thereof).

Hmm...interesting...
@anand, I am sorry if I hadn't mentioned this earlier. The sunfilm is to reduce the heat (during the day) and reduce glare (during the night) more than anything else. This is in no way related to whether I am deciding to upgrade my lights. I am thinking of just upgrading my high beams, as I never use them within the city. I am still open to any suggestions. In no way I would do a tit for tat civic sense like you had mentioned.
deepakchan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2010, 19:42   #66
BHPian

A freak accident. Well Almost.

Yesterday I was returning from office, peacefully, with some melodious music on the FM, not driving above 40km/h since it was raining, and enjoying the drive although it was peak evening traffic. I must've been driving at 35 km/h and on approaching a speed bump, decided to slow down to 15 km/h. When I did so, I heard a loud thud at the back of my car. My heart skipped a beat for a second, and when I regained almost immediately, just moved my car to the left most part of the road. It was a one-way road with 3 lanes. I just walked back to check the damage. Oh my God! Was I dreaming? I couldn't find any damage at all. I walked up to the Chevrolet Spark who was the culprit and asked what on earth was he doing. (His car's bumper had gone in, definitely radiator was damaged, bonnet was bent, front left door couldn't open.) He said I sudden-braked and screeched to a halt. I said I know what I did, that speed bump is almost 3cm from the ground, and there is absolutely no need for me to come to a halt. His father came out also and said I came to a halt. Meanwhile, as it was peak hour traffic, the car had to be moved to the left corner of the road, the driver got back into the car and tried starting it. It didn't.

I again walked back to my car to check if anything had happened. I even kicked the rear bumper to see if anything was loose. NOTHING! Absolutely nothing! By the time I walked back to the culprit, he had already moved the car with the help of someone nearby. Then he agreed I didn't come to a complete halt. Meanwhile his father had gone to take a look at my car's damage and returned. The driver asked his father, anything to the Jetta? His father said the Jetta seems like it wasn't even involved in the accident. I could hear the driver mumble to himself. That's the difference. Wow. I've never felt prouder of my decision to go VW.

Finally I tried to help him out, by finding the number of the nearest Chevy dealer to arrange for a tow. Meanwhile his wife in the car took out the service manual book and gave the number of the TVS dealer in Chennai. Since I was in a hurry and my wife was waiting for me somewhere, I had to leave immediately. I said best of luck dude, keep your distance when you drive and gave him my card since he had been pestering me for my mobile number.

I drove off straight to home since I was completely drenched and I couldn't go to the function like this. Went home changed, took the chauffeur and went for the function in the Civic. When we were returning from the function which was almost 2 hours since the incident happened, I saw that same Chevy being towed to TVS. I showed my wife this is the car. She became so restless that she wanted to go straight home and have a look at the Jetta. On close examination under some better light, I could find some very minute scratches on the bumper. She was shocked as well after seeing the state of the Chevy and then the Jetta.

My wife is of the opinion as to why should I give my contact details in the first place? I did no mistake, my car has no damage. Then why would you want to get yourself involved in case that guy files a case. Does T-BHP suggest I shouldn't have given my card? He seemed like a decent guy and was driving with his wife and father and that is why I gave. Anyway he has my car number. If he chooses to put a case, he will anyway do so isn't it.
Old 31st August 2010, 20:07   #67
Team-BHP Support

Cops are quite clear about rear end shunts - the shunter is the culprit unless you reversed into him
Old 31st August 2010, 20:14   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Cops are quite clear about rear end shunts - the shunter is the culprit unless you reversed into him
And what if a rash driver suddenly change lanes and I happen to rear end him? Who gets blamed in such an accident?
Old 31st August 2010, 20:18   #69
Senior - BHPian

Bad incident. Hope nothing is wrong on your car. Rear bumpers are not crumple tested. Not surprised nothing happened to your car.
Old 31st August 2010, 20:26   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakchan View Post
I find that the headlights on the highway are a joke. Or rather everyone else is having very powerful lights and I am having legally correct Wattage but it doesn't help. I have to slow down to speeds less than 100kmph whenever any vehicle comes in the opposite direction on 2-lane no-median highways.

I am looking to upgrade my headlights. When I called Haute Car Zone here in Chennai, I was given two options. You can put 100/90 or install a HID kit both from Philips. The question which comes to my mind is, Jetta has individual lights for low and high beam. So it cannot be a 100/90 right? What should I be asking for here? Is there a way I can keep the wattage the same and the light more powerful? I've heard of something like the Philips CrystalVision or SilverVision which does not require and cut-outs or relays and there is no need to touch the wiring harness. Anybody can throw light on this? Many cars have independent beams rite? Like fiesta, corolla etc..
>>>

The light intensity in the Jetta is not poor, it is the dazzling effect due to the high beams or the blue-white HIDs that cars from the opposite side have that creates the problem. On roads with 'proper', i.e., normal lighting and traffic sporting low beams, I do not have a problem.

As a matter of fact, during my trip to Goa and my travels within Goa I had no problem; only when I come across ignorant drivers using high beam or using the bluish white lights in HIDs for the 'effect' do I get dazzled.

I have been recommended P4 brand HIDs ( H7 and 9006 are the bulbs to be used for the Jetta). The P4 is installed in the VWs and the Skodas, so it has no issues with warranty etc. The HID kit will cost about Rs10k each, plus Rs3k for each relay wiring for socket to socket installation.Labour charges would be about Rs3k overall. So the damage is about Rs 29k.

This info has been provided by one of the best shops in Bombay. I will only go for this once I am 100% certain that I can't do without HIDs. I am not certain yet, despite my long distance travels and my city drives, over the past 15 months.

Also be aware that 4000-4500 K colour temperature provides the best visibility, rather than the HIDs which have higher temperatures. Most buyers who opt for the higher temperature HIDs go for it because "it looks exclusive" rather than for any tangible improvement in intensity.

Regards
Old 31st August 2010, 20:34   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
And what if a rash driver suddenly change lanes and I happen to rear end him? Who gets blamed in such an accident?
>>>prateek,

It is the duty of the car following to maintain adequate stopping distance. The driver who rear ends, invariably offers this as an excuse. I have been rear ended on more than one occasion- the offending driver stops his argument when I inform him that he has to maintain safe stopping distance at all times, regardless of any provocation.

Subsequently I got this confirmed from a traffic police official.

Therefore, I maintain a safe distance, despite honking from the car behind me, everytime. On both occasions that I mentioned above, I was able to stop my car without rear ending the car in front - why could not the car following me?

Simple. He did not maintain safe stopping distance and was in a hurry.

Regards
issigonis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2010, 19:18   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
That is what is ethically right too. Thanks for clarifying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Bad incident. Hope nothing is wrong on your car. Rear bumpers are not crumple tested. Not surprised nothing happened to your car.
Nothing is wrong on my car except some minute scratches. I can live with that. I can show off with those scratches on the build quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis View Post
>>>prateek,

It is the duty of the car following to maintain adequate stopping distance. The driver who rear ends, invariably offers this as an excuse. I have been rear ended on more than one occasion- the offending driver stops his argument when I inform him that he has to maintain safe stopping distance at all times, regardless of any provocation.

Subsequently I got this confirmed from a traffic police official.

Simple. He did not maintain safe stopping distance and was in a hurry.
This is very valuable information. Thanks a lot. I guess I am still learning a lot every day I drive.
Old 2nd September 2010, 19:22   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis View Post
I have been recommended P4 brand HIDs ( H7 and 9006 are the bulbs to be used for the Jetta). The P4 is installed in the VWs and the Skodas, so it has no issues with warranty etc. The HID kit will cost about Rs10k each, plus Rs3k for each relay wiring for socket to socket installation.Labour charges would be about Rs3k overall. So the damage is about Rs 29k.
Is a relay and wiring required for installing HIDs? I wrote to Philips a while ago and this was their reply.

"Thanks for the enquiry.

For VW Jetta Head Light,
High Beam - H1 and low beam - H7 and Fog lamp - H8 or H11.

The HID kits will come as a set of bulbs and a set of ballasts and it is as simple as plug and play and they are available in all leading automotive accessory shops. Please feel free to mail me in case of any other queries."
Old 2nd September 2010, 21:08   #74
BHPian

Hi deepakchan! bro nice choice of car the Jetta is an amazing car.
I have been using HID's since couple of years now.Though these are bright but when you drive with them in fog or rainy weather these are useless.You cannot see anything and it becomes really difficult to drive.I have used the 4000k,6000k,and currently using 12000k HID.The 12000k is from Bosch which i got imported from Germany and the 6000k was from P4 brand which is only white on the high beam.
The other disadvantage is that they generate so much heat that the headlight reflector loses all its shine and becomes dark & yellowish.Now the main problem is with the installation.They say its bolt on kit but that's not completely true. There is a moisture protection cover placed behind your car's headlight bulb.It doesn't let the water, dust or moisture seep into your headlight.They make a hole into that to install the HID.That causes a lot of problem later and you have to change your headlights then because dust and moisture will start entering your headlight.
HID's best suit the projector lamps like in Laura and other cars.
Old 2nd September 2010, 22:21   #75
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakchan View Post
Is a relay and wiring required for installing HIDs? I wrote to Philips a while ago and this was their reply.

"Thanks for the enquiry.

For VW Jetta Head Light,
High Beam - H1 and low beam - H7 and Fog lamp - H8 or H11.

The HID kits will come as a set of bulbs and a set of ballasts and it is as simple as plug and play and they are available in all leading automotive accessory shops. Please feel free to mail me in case of any other queries."
Deepak why dont you go for additional lights ? or auxiliary lights ? Try Hella/Light force/roo lite. they might cost somewhere from 10k to 27 k

You can have a angle fitted from the bonnet and have the lights fitted on them.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks