Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2010, 03:13   #406
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyakmodi View Post
@sidindica and all the other "khabri" bhpians

any news on the punto sport??
the wait to buy it is killing me slowly..

no one has a clue?
Why do you want to pay extra for the sport variant? I suggest you to buy a Punto 90 and get all the extra stuff done according to your taste.

Get some nice 16"-17" after market alloys, get the upholstery done by Stanley or similar premium brand, Upgrade the ICE with some audiophile quality, Import some fancy headlamps with projetors, tail light with LEDs etc

Personally i would never buy a Fiat again. Unless they get a car that actually performs and do some miracles to the after sales support.
Old 13th September 2010, 11:38   #407
Senior - BHPian

Punto Sport - Looks like distant dream

Quote:
@sidindica and all the other "khabri" bhpians

any news on the punto sport??
the wait to buy it is killing me slowly..

no one has a clue?
Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Why do you want to pay extra for the sport variant? I suggest you to buy a Punto 90 and get all the extra stuff done according to your taste.
I am also desperately waiting for Punto Sport since ages

I like to keep my cars stock. Only add-on to my cars are sun films. I can't think about another Punto after seeing the one at Delhi Auto Expo. The only thing I hate in that car was the ridiculous decals.

When your heart defeats head, paying extra is always justifiable

Cheers !

Vinu
Old 14th September 2010, 15:19   #408
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post

Get some nice 16"-17" after market alloys, get the upholstery done by Stanley or similar premium brand, Upgrade the ICE with some audiophile quality, Import some fancy headlamps with projetors, tail light with LEDs etc

Personally i would never buy a Fiat again. Unless they get a car that actually performs and do some miracles to the after sales support.
well why pay extra for the sport variant when I can get everything done in the after-market?

simple : buying a car from the showroom in which you got nothing to fret about later - well that's a different joy altogether. Don't know where will I get those sexy looking alloys from. Tried most of the alloy wheel dealers, and they got nothing close to it. Then there is some problem with the alloy's bolt's diameter also. It ain't the popular size, so don't get many alloys for it.
then comes the dual sunroof. I know I am never going to use it, and there are still quiet a few people who can put it in the after-market. but still.

buying a car, and making efforts to make it look like some other car is not something I can ever do.

n ofcourse when you really like something, paying a bit more for it is never an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
I am also desperately waiting for Punto Sport since ages

I like to keep my cars stock. Only add-on to my cars are sun films. I can't think about another Punto after seeing the one at Delhi Auto Expo. The only thing I hate in that car was the ridiculous decals.

When your heart defeats head, paying extra is always justifiable

Cheers !

Vinu

hasn't been a single day when I have not logged on tbhp just to letch at the auto-expo pictures.
Old 15th September 2010, 14:29   #409
BHPian

just got a confirmation. punto sport is not coming out for sure for all practical purposes.

the sunroof is totally impractical for india and ofcourse increases the price substantially.
the blackened headlamps are not coming (no idea why)
and ohh those sexy looking alloys are again totally impractical for india. 17 inch and low profile will give you a ride quality of a go-kart and ofcourse the suspensions would go kapoot even before you realise!

so we are just left with one option i.e. buy the 90bhp punto, change the side view mirrors, change the door handles to body color, forget about the 3 points mentioned above. rest all the accessories are available with the dealership to convert the punto to look like a sporty one.

it will add to another 35-40k on the existing car.
Old 15th September 2010, 16:34   #410
Senior - BHPian

OK then, Fiat could have provide Sunroof as option and 16 inch alloys instead of 17 inch ones.

These are ridiculous reasons by Fiat. They don't want to release it, that's it.

I am not interested in converting the existing 90bhp to look alike Sport.
Old 15th September 2010, 16:50   #411
BHPian

@myavu

so you are suggesting that FIAT should come up with another variant of the same car?!?

I think they have more than enough already
1. Punto 1.2 Active
2. Punto 1.2 Dynamic
3. Punto 1.2 Emotion
4. Punto 1.4 Emotion
5. Punto 1.4 Emotion Pk
6. Punto 1.3 MJD Active
7. Punto 1.3 MJD Dynamic
8. Punto 1.3 MJD Emotion
9. Punto 1.3 MJD Emotion Pk
10. Punto 1.3 MJD 90HP Emotion Pk

Now another variant what we were hoping for was the punto sport. and more options with that would have made the entire line up of 12 variants for a car.
and considering the fact that they are hardly selling 1000 cars per month pan india, don't you think it would bring up the cost of manufacturing substantially?!?!?

I doubt they would sell more than 100 cars per month with sunroof and all. that would make it about 1000 cars a year. now imagine the cost of manufacturing.
Old 15th September 2010, 20:12   #412
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I doubt they would sell more than 100 cars per month with sunroof and all. that would make it about 1000 cars a year. now imagine the cost of manufacturing.

Sunroof isn't very popular either.
i20 Asta(O) has a sun roof but how many (O) variants sell/month?

Punto with i20/Polo like interiors deserves to go 15-20k higher.

Compare i20 Sportz with Punto 1.2 Emotion(both 1.2, both do not have ABS)
Yes, i20 Sportz has additional 1 airbag and steering controls.
But look at the price difference. Fiat offers free insurance/extended warranty as well. Add more for it on i20.

If Fiat is cutting cost with average interiors, it is to keep the price towards lower side, lesser than i20 while offering good number of features.

But what Fiat is not realizing is that it is not proving to be beneficial.

They should have launched Fiat Stile(Not Fiat Palio Stile). The 1.3MJD engine would have work wonders on this car. Good build, ride quality, stylish looks, price around 4.3lacs for a diesel car. What else do Fiat need to sell a car in numbers.

And they should improve the interiors of Punto, may be increase the price tag by 10-15k. No one would mind buying a Punto with that kind of interiors at a higher price.

Last edited by PaddleShifter : 15th September 2010 at 20:15. Reason: added some more data
Old 15th September 2010, 23:15   #413
Senior - BHPian

guys one question.

the fiat claims 20km/l for 90hp & 19.9km/l for 76hp one.
is it true?
how ?
isnt more hp=less FE .

Last edited by .anshuman : 15th September 2010 at 23:41. Reason: Fixed a typo.
Old 15th September 2010, 23:47   #414
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
guys one question.

the fiat claims 20km/l for 90hp & 19.9km/l for 76hp one.
is it true?
how ?
isnt more hp=less FE .
The Punto 90 is only marginally more powerful below 3000rpm compared to Punto 75. The difference of 0.1kpl is not too much and during ARAI FE test the cars are kept at low revs.

Even more powerful cars like Verna and i20 score better than Punto here, just because of taller gearing.
Old 16th September 2010, 12:21   #415
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@myavu

so you are suggesting that FIAT should come up with another variant of the same car?!?
I totally agree with you, but then why did they display that tempting Sport in Auto Expo this January? Why did they confirm it that they will launch it by mid 2010?

About manufacturing cost (above current 90Hp punto):

How much it will cost for smoking Head and tail lamps?

How much it will cost for steel pedals? Import or locally manufacture it.

How much it will cost for 16" same or some what same alloys displayed with Punto sport in Expo?(check many Punto / Punto sport pics posted by sidindica from other countries) Fiat can import or can manufacture cheaper one locally - 205-55 R16 tyres are already coming on Linea T-Jet

How much it will cost for painting ORVMs Red?

How much it will cost for painting door handles in body colour?

How much it will cost for Spoiler?

The only cost factor is the duel sliding sun roof - make it pure optional or totally ignore it. Paint the roof black.

I believe the total cost over current 90HP Punto will be 25 to 30K. (considering the fact that we are replacing current 15" alloys and tyres).

Fiat is providing huge discount on 1.3 FGT, and (50% of discount may move to 90Hp also in future). So sport price will fall around current 90HP price.

If Fiat is going to provide a sports kit through dealer then the total price for the add-on will be somewhere 60000 above current 90HP (plus labor charges) I prefer to get the sport from factory as stock.

Till now I was discussing about the exterior of the Punto Sport.

If they really want to turn 90HP to a true sports car, they have to work on gear ratios and mapping. Also they can bring the 1.6 120 Hp MJD with right gear box for a true rocket. (A T-Jet Punto - good idea, but tough choice for me)

Hope fiat is listening

Cheers!

Vinu
Old 16th September 2010, 17:54   #416
Senior - BHPian

Today I got to know from somewhere that something was fishy on my TD car which I photographed and driven on first page. Did the dealer change my car's meter cluster with a 965 kms run linea and sold that linea with the punto 90 HP meter cluster which had shown very less odo numbers? That's because NONE of the 90 HP models of the punto have linea dials.

I need to confirm before I put the source link.

Last edited by sidindica : 16th September 2010 at 18:06.
Old 16th September 2010, 18:34   #417
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
Today I got to know from somewhere that something was fishy on my TD car which I photographed and driven on first page. Did the dealer change my car's meter cluster with a 965 kms run linea and sold that linea with the punto 90 HP meter cluster which had shown very less odo numbers? That's because NONE of the 90 HP models of the punto have linea dials.

It seems unlikely, as 90hp Punto comes with the usual black dials. It would be really foolish for the dealer to put it on a Linea. These type of tricks and frauds always get caught sooner or later and usually prove to be fatal for such dealerships.

It seems that they had done some modifications for cosmetic reasons(black roof etc).

Still anything is possible in India.
Old 16th September 2010, 19:03   #418
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ Plus getting the existing meter reset is a much safer option. If they have fitted a Punto meter in a Linea, they have a high risk of getting caught.

A lot of small town dealers disconnect the meters before using a car meant to be sold as a TD car. Dhingra Motors Gurgaon were using a Punto with disconnected meter for TD last year.
Old 16th September 2010, 19:25   #419
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post

That sounds little far fetched, although not impossible.

Is it possible for the dealer to reset the ODO? Or is it too difficult?
Old 16th September 2010, 22:47   #420
Senior - BHPian

a small doubt here.
Since every one here agrees that bad gear ratios is the reason for the lethargic/unimpressive performance.
how exactly is the gear ratios set??
Is it mechanically done or through the ECU or some other medium.
Experts guide us all on this one.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks