Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2011, 16:32   #136
BHPian

Re: Medium Grey Tank - New Palio Stile 1.3 MJD

***Update***

9300 kms on the odo. Certain niggles have arisen. None of them are sudden, in fact I remember posting about squeaky sounds coming from the front left tire several months ago. The problems are as follows -
  1. Front tire squeal - This seems to occur either after the car has run for about an hour, or when I'm just starting to move the car after a day or two without driving. Theres this rolling squealing sound, and its intermittent, not continuous. A very high pitched squeak. The sound occurrence becomes faster and faster until I hit about 40 kmph and vanishes after that. Below 40, everytime I touch the brakes, the sound goes away. I can literally do away with the squeaking when I touch the brake pedal (and I mean TOUCH). After loads of online research, I decided it was not the wheel bearing, cause apparently that happens only to cars that have run substantially more, and it's not intermittent, i.e. it keeps re-sounding at all speeds and even when the brakes are not actuated. A few people had these problems on their cars, and apparently the problem was a certain portion or 'pin' in the brake was rubbing against the disc. Apparently I need to get the pads polished and re-aligned in the brake assembly.
  2. Clutch pedal creak - Every time I actuate the clutch, there's a little creak from under the dashboard. I think there's a spring in the lever mechanism somewhere there and it's making this sound. I don't know what the fix to this is.
  3. Coolant smell - from outside the car when I open the window. There was an overflow of coolant from the tank earlier (read earlier posts) and I let some of it seep out, to get the level slightly below the 'max' mark. The level is fine now, but I think all that coolant spilled over the engine and stuff and it still smells when the engine heats up. A good engine bay wash would suffice here.
Other than the above, the car's top notch. The 3rd and last free service is due in august, but I think I'll go a month earlier to address these little niggles. They don't affect the performance of the car, but it affects the crap out of my mind. I mean, who wants to hear a creak every time you god damn shift, and who wants to hear a squeak every time you drive slow. Basically, these niggles are irritating my senses of sound and smell respectively.
Old 22nd June 2011, 23:52   #137
BHPian

***UPDATE***

***TANK FILL***

Fuel volume - 41.05 L
Trip distance - 716 kms

FE in city = 17.44 kmpl

There could possibly be some error here. I'm sure I could've taken more than 41.05L, the needle didn't go as far above 'FULL' as it normally does. Oh well, possibly about 16.5 kmpl.

I think the air filter needs cleaning, the car isn't surging forward as she used to, beyond 2.5k RPM. Last free service just around the corner.

Here's some poor quality night time pics of the interior floor LED's up front. Taken on my phone without flash (obviously). But you sort of get an idea. It looks and feels wonderful to drive with slowly changing LED illumination near your feet! And it's quite bright when its dark outside, don't let the pics completely fool you.

Medium Grey Tank - New Palio Stile 1.3 MJD-img_20110619_221143.jpg

Medium Grey Tank - New Palio Stile 1.3 MJD-img_20110620_195630.jpg

Medium Grey Tank - New Palio Stile 1.3 MJD-img_20110620_195637.jpg

There are 7 interchangeable modes, which switch colors automatically in different manners. More details later.
ByDesign is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2011, 21:00   #138
BHPian

***UPDATE***

***TANK FILL***

Fuel volume - 44.2 L
Trip distance - 677 kms

FE in city = 15.3 kmpl

Pretty atrocious figures in the city this time I'm afraid. The niggles have risen to an all time high. Pretty much the same as before. But yes, I think the above FE figure should be around 16 kmpl, the fuel attendant spilled some diesel as well as filled it up to the absolute brim. There is some error in calculation this time and the last.

Cars in pretty sad shape. The accelerations dropped quite a bit, engine doesn't really feel crisp anymore. Wipers need replacement, clutch pedal really creaks on every press. Tomorrow morning, I'm off to the service center! Third, and last free service. I have to make sure all the niggles are fixed, fingers crossed. Hopefully with all the filters changed and cleaned, I should have a nice quick car again.
Old 17th July 2011, 01:11   #139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByDesign View Post
[/b]Pretty atrocious figures in the city this time I'm afraid.
If you're restricted to heavy traffic, expect figures as low as 14.XX at times as well. I have even got 11.XX once on a crazy run on NH58. Unlike the Swift and Vista, the AC compressor on the Palio drops down the FE by atleast 2-2.5 kpl. The hydraulic power steering also saps FE. I get 15-17 kpl in summer and 17-20 kpl in winter

Quote:
Cars in pretty sad shape. The accelerations dropped quite a bit, engine doesn't really feel crisp anymore. Wipers need replacement, clutch pedal really creaks on every press. Tomorrow morning, I'm off to the service center! Third, and last free service. I have to make sure all the niggles are fixed, fingers crossed. Hopefully with all the filters changed and cleaned, I should have a nice quick car again.
Clean air-filter. Oil clutch pedal. Check air pressure. Your "sad state" will go partly.
architect is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2011, 23:39   #140
BHPian

***UPDATE***

***TANK FILL***

Fuel volume - 38.7 L
Trip distance - 686 kms

FE in city = 17.7 kmpl

Doing good. There was a bit of error in last time's fill and this one. It should even itself out.

Rain's picking up in Delhi, should see some bad driving conditions in the time to come.
Old 12th August 2011, 22:27   #141
BHPian

***UPDATE***

***TANK FILL***

Fuel volume - 39 L
Trip distance - 690 kms

FE in city = 17.6 kmpl

Again, there's some error here. And fuel prices have gone up! 41.27/- a litre for diesel from 37! It's not a huge hit or anything, but still, it changes the mathematics somewhat haha! 17.6 kmpl, with absolutely horrendous monsoon water logging, first gear driving, heavy throttle driving in deep water, and bumper to bumper traffic. She's doin pretty good aye
Old 30th August 2011, 07:51   #142
BHPian

***UPDATE***

***TANK FILL***

Fuel volume - 39.97 L
Trip distance - 609 kms

FE in city = 15.23 kmpl

I'm not sure, but I think that's my all time low. It's a pity I dont maintain an excel sheet with all my car FE details. But there you go, I'm sure exactly what the problem is, but sometimes I feel the accelerations dropped a bit too. A certain vibration seems to have become active too, at a particular RPM, something under the hood/behind the dashboard vibrates and stops. Every time I'm passing that certain RPM, mostly in 3rd, 4th and 5th gears. I'm just guessing its the diesel engine growing old.

AC's still super chilling, no other niggles. Third free service was completed. New air filter, clutch pedal was oiled, engine oil was changed, and steering fluid + brake fluid replaced. Cars good to go for another 7.5k methinks. I called Architect on the day of the service. Updates are that Elegant Motors Pvt. Ltd. is now closed. They've shut shop. I spoke to the mechanic yesterday and the latest is that the entire FIAT team from elegant has joined HIM motors in the same industrial area. It's a pity, Elegant was one nice garage. I really enjoyed spending time with the mechanics while they worked on my car/other cars, especially Raju. Oh well, let's hope this continues in HIM and we get good service there too.

Last edited by ByDesign : 30th August 2011 at 07:55.
Old 5th September 2011, 13:48   #143
BHPian

ByDesign: The certain vibration you are referring to is also being experienced by me. I suppose this happens at a particular rpm and as you rightly said it kind of resonates at that rpm and it seems to come from under the hood.

I have been struggling for the last 6 months with the TATA-FIAT service and with my own mechanic. Well, with TATA-FIAT, its no point but, with my mechanic I did do some R&D and have been able to reduce the vibration but not eliminate it. The mutliple things tried are as follows

1. Check the floating supports of the silencer.
2. Check the gear box support bedding
3. check the air filter cover
4. check the front brake disc and the caliper pins.

I have done all of the above except the disc and caliper change-reason: no disc in stock.

Hope this may help you identify that irritating vibration and resolve it.

Cheers

Paresh Raheja, Blr
pareshraheja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2011, 12:31   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pareshraheja View Post
ByDesign: The certain vibration you are referring to is also being experienced by me. I suppose this happens at a particular rpm and as you rightly said it kind of resonates at that rpm and it seems to come from under the hood.

I have been struggling for the last 6 months with the TATA-FIAT service and with my own mechanic. Well, with TATA-FIAT, its no point but, with my mechanic I did do some R&D and have been able to reduce the vibration but not eliminate it. The mutliple things tried are as follows

1. Check the floating supports of the silencer.
2. Check the gear box support bedding
3. check the air filter cover
4. check the front brake disc and the caliper pins.

I have done all of the above except the disc and caliper change-reason: no disc in stock.

Hope this may help you identify that irritating vibration and resolve it.

Cheers

Paresh Raheja, Blr
Thanks very much for the detailed response. I will look into these individual factors at the next service. However, I opened the bonnet and noticed that if I hold the air filter cover down with my finger, the vibration and noise reduces considerably.

Furthermore,

***UPDATE***

***TANK FILL***

Fuel volume - 40.9 L
Trip distance - 621 kms

FE in city = 15.18 kmpl

Good news - Uniform FE readings
Bad news - Horrible FE readings.

After getting used to a constant 17 ~ 18 kmpl, now I am getting used to below 16. I'm still not sure why this is happening. I went to a pollution testing center recently and they conveniently failed my car due to very high HSU levels. The report generated said 77% to 78% HSU, as against the maximum permissible limit of 65% for diesel vehicles.

There was a bit of black smoke when the idiot at the PUC center revved my engine over 2.5k RPM. I repeatedly argued that all diesel engines throw out some black smoke at such high RPM's due to unburnt fuel. "It's a compression ignition engine you dodo" but to no avail. On calling Architect from t-bhp, I was told that most PUC testing centers don't clean the filter in the machine. And most of the muck from earlier tests are still deposited on there.

I'd be grateful if some t-bhp'ians could throw some light on pollution testing for diesel vehicles in India.

Thanks
Old 26th September 2011, 14:05   #145
h14
BHPian

Quote:
However, I opened the bonnet and noticed that if I hold the air filter cover down with my finger, the vibration and noise reduces considerably.
Now I'm able to understand the vibration you are referring to. I'm having the exact problem but have been able to reduce it to an extent. What I did was to squeeze in the thick thermocool (the black one) under the air-filter element on both sides. This has reduced the vibration to an extent. Though not fully fixed, it is a whole lot better than before.
h14 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2011, 15:47   #146
BHPian

***UPDATE***

***TANK FILL***

Fuel volume - 40.3 L
Trip distance - 730 kms
Odo reading - 13633 kms (crossed 13k kms with my first car!)

FE in city = 18.1 kmpl

Good news - Solid boost in FE again.

So I notice that the fuel volume every tank up is approximately the same. Or approximately around 40 liters. No problems with the car at all touch wood. Had two flats in the past month, both purely back luck. One a nail in the tire, and the other, actually managed to snick a piece of metal sticking out of a divider which actually slashed my tire wall. Jugaad fixed it right up for me for 450 Rs. including a second hand tube which now sits in my rear right tire. Oh well, I have no issues with this.

No creaks or niggles from earlier times or fresh ones for that matter. Accelerations still pretty good, can pull over 120 kmph in 4th gear at about 3.5k RPM. 5th takes her to over 140 kmph with plenty left but no road unfortunately. More later! What a car!!
Old 16th October 2011, 03:57   #147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So I notice that the fuel volume every tank up is approximately the same. Or approximately around 40 liters.
It is advised by many people within this forum (and without) that one should avoid pushing the fuel to the low fuel warning point. Not only does it seem to affect the fuel pump (by increasing the chances of dirt / dust settled at the base of the tank going into the fuel line) but also reduces FE because of too much empty volume in the tank.

I follow a simple system of filling up on Saturday / Sunday night. I fill up from only one pump in the city and I often have to drive extra to do so, but I am okay. This way I am also always above the half-way mark on fuel (since I rarely do more than 300 km in a week). Even on highways, I follow the half-way mark rule.

It's been three years since I have seen the low fuel warning lamp go on. I hope it is still working, though!
architect is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2011, 09:01   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
It is advised by many people within this forum (and without) that one should avoid pushing the fuel to the low fuel warning point. Not only does it seem to affect the fuel pump (by increasing the chances of dirt / dust settled at the base of the tank going into the fuel line) but also reduces FE because of too much empty volume in the tank.
I have been a bad offender in this regard. I made a habit of waiting to tank up till the yellow indicator lights up. Well, except once or twice I always did tank up within 5 kms of the low fuel warning. Till now no problem, touchwood. Got to stop this practice from now on.
Old 16th October 2011, 12:06   #149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoiseNhare View Post
Well, except once or twice I always did tank up within 5 kms of the low fuel warning. Till now no problem, touchwood.
One has 6-7 litres of diesel left after the warning light goes on, effectively at least 85-100 km. But distances and schedules being what they are, I don't want to be forced to tank up from the wrong fuel bunk. That, and other reasons already stated above, make me follow this practice.

Also, I am creature of habit: some good, mostly bad.

Last edited by architect : 16th October 2011 at 12:07.
Old 16th October 2011, 15:37   #150
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
I follow a simple system of filling up on Saturday / Sunday night. I fill up from only one pump in the city and I often have to drive extra to do so, but I am okay. This way I am also always above the half-way mark on fuel (since I rarely do more than 300 km in a week). Even on highways, I follow the half-way mark rule.
This is something my B-I-L who is an automobile engineer & working with Honda suggests me. Always fill when the tank is half empty. I guess he also gave the reason as empty space in the tank reduces FE. But on highway, unless you know good pumps, this is going to be difficult to maintain!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks