Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2010, 19:24   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Just curious but is the dash very obstructive for short people? I've never sat in an A-Star but the dash, specially the aircon vents, look rather high from outside. I'm asking since you mentioned that short family who ended up booking the car.
I'm fairly short, and didn't find the A-Star's dash height to be much of an issue. For me, every vehicle except the 800, Alto and the Fords has a too high dash. It's just a matter of getting used to it. Once you've got the hang of the size (preferably without scratching the car too much) you'll be fine.
Old 21st September 2010, 19:31   #17
BHPian

Welcome to team-bhp. Thanks for writing a detailed review. It would be useful for many people. Also, thanks for sharing your tips on fog lamps. I also need fog lamps and would contact Lumax.
Old 21st September 2010, 22:08   #18
Senior - BHPian

Welcome aboard Karan. Very detailed and nice review. Please post more pics and also post your driving impressions along with the pics.

This will surely help prospective a-star buyers due to its detail.

Regarding the dash of a-star being high, we were in the market for a hatch to replace our M800. Primary driver was my wife and rarely my mom. My wife is 5.1 and she found the dash very highly placed. Even with a cushion she was not comfortable. We ended up with a Spark which she is happy driving around with a cushion
Old 22nd September 2010, 02:37   #19
BHPian

Congratulations Karan, on both the car and the deal !!

I does feel great when one is able to crack a big bargain

For the rims and wheels caps you could buy OE Maruti stuff, at very low prices from alloy wheel dealers.

Just have a look at this thread: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...el-caps-2.html
Old 25th September 2010, 13:00   #20
BHPian

Hi to all fellow Bhpian

congratulations Karan for Purchasing The A- star.

I own A- star Zxi (silky silver) which has completed 1 year and 5,000kms.

Each day this car fascinates me , whether it is its looks , or music system .It has been a joy to own this car and this being my first car it has a special place in my heart.

The only grouse I have is that my car belonged to the batch of cars with gasket problem ( though the gasket was replaced free of cost ).
Old 2nd October 2010, 10:27   #21
BHPian

Ever since I bought this car, I have always planned to have my wheel rims painted black in order to put on the wheel caps. So this is how it looks now. A MASS quoted Rs. 2000 for this job.

Materials Used
1) Bosny Black Spray Can (Flat Black/Satin Black)
Cost Rs. 180 available at a hardware store or paint shop
2) 0.5" Paint Brush to touch up the corners
Cost Rs. 5

Joy of DIY and results? - Priceless

The photographs are in the following order.
  1. A-star Lxi Before the Rims were painted
  2. Wheel Rims - A Closer Look
  3. A-star Lxi After the Rims were painted black
  4. Black Wheel Rims - A Closer Look
  5. Voila! The wheel caps are on
  6. Different Angles
Attached Thumbnails
Experience A-Star (Read: Experience a star)-dsc01822.jpg  

Experience A-Star (Read: Experience a star)-dsc01823.jpg  

Experience A-Star (Read: Experience a star)-dsc01832.jpg  

Experience A-Star (Read: Experience a star)-dsc01831.jpg  

Experience A-Star (Read: Experience a star)-dsc01840.jpg  

Experience A-Star (Read: Experience a star)-dsc01833.jpg  

Experience A-Star (Read: Experience a star)-dsc01842.jpg  

Experience A-Star (Read: Experience a star)-dsc01843.jpg  

Experience A-Star (Read: Experience a star)-dsc01846.jpg  

Old 2nd October 2010, 18:42   #22
BHPian

@Karan - excellent job.The car looks like vxi variant now.Do post some more pictures in subsequent post of your car.

Some photographs of My A- star -

1.Star in front of rashtrapati Bhavan
Experience A-Star (Read: Experience a star)-2.jpg

2. Sporty Tachometer - illuminated
Experience A-Star (Read: Experience a star)-12.jpg

3.(clockwise) power window switches with auto down for driver(illuminated) , door lock and unlock switch ,switch for preventing windows in passenger side from being opened
Experience A-Star (Read: Experience a star)-30.jpg

4.Engine Bay - after 3rd service .note no engine cover with Suzuki logo.
Experience A-Star (Read: Experience a star)-engine-bay.jpg

5. Jack the hider! - jack is stored in a seperate compartment in C pillar.
Experience A-Star (Read: Experience a star)-jack.jpg

6. instrument cluster - Night view
Experience A-Star (Read: Experience a star)-25.jpg
Old 2nd October 2010, 21:43   #23
BHPian

Nizzzee! I especially loved the pic in front of the Rashtrapati Bhavan. The idea of showing the concealed jack was also pretty cool. I too wish I could buy the zxi variant or had an option to install the tachometer seperately. It looks amazing. Nevertheless, I am happy and content as I had the budget of an Alto Lxi, but stretched it a bit and bought this baby. It's butter smooth.
Old 2nd October 2010, 23:38   #24
BHPian

@Karan - I am happy that you liked the pictures I posted especially of Rashtrapati Bhavan.

Where is the jack stored in your vehicle?
Is it under the spare wheel ?

Lxi or zxi - variants don't matter - the important thing is that one is enjoying the vehicle or not. Both our cars are same cars except for the some cosmetic differences which to me insignificant .
Old 3rd October 2010, 15:57   #25
BHPian

Hi dude, can you please update on the actual FE of the car.
Old 3rd October 2010, 18:46   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan1609 View Post
Thanks for chipping in, but do you have photos or real life accounts which illustrate this?It would be interesting to see and have it taken off immediately.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp2u View Post
Hi dude, can you please update on the actual FE of the car.
As of now, the fuel economy has stabalized at 10km/ltr with AC on at all times. My dad's quite a spirited driver than me (May be because I pay the petrol bills?) whereas I have a light foot on the accelerator!
But, the entire duration that I drove for, in one full tank, I managed to squeeze 12 in heavy Mumbai Traffic, from Saki Naka to Vile Parle via Andheri-Kurla Road. This is one of the busiest roads and the worst to drive on, beggars, Mumbai Metro work, daily illegal bazaar, office hours, arterial east west connectivity, deadly potholes where even SUV's get stuck (now that's an exaggeration), heavy vehicles, jaywalkers, deadly bikers who think they are playing Road-Ras, open manholes where I have seen trucks' tires getting stuck, poor street lighting, BEST buses, Tempos, desi F1 drivers aka Tata Indica drivers! You name it and this road has it.

However, the average I got while on the Mumbai-Pune expressway was 15 (my M800 5 speed MPFI gave 21-22 with AC and 3 people on board on all highways).

The FE is low as it has driven only 1800 odd KMS till now. I have a friend who owns the new Wagon R with K10B engine. His average has now increased to 13-14 in similar driving conditions from 10-11. His car has done approx. 5000 Kms. He too is a spirited driver; so am assuming that with a light foot, one may squeeze a bit more, umm say 15-16 (Using AC judiciously).

Please do let me know if you have some more questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozeninTime View Post
@Karan - I am happy that you liked the pictures I posted especially of Rashtrapati Bhavan.

Where is the jack stored in your vehicle?
Is it under the spare wheel ?

Lxi or zxi - variants don't matter - the important thing is that one is enjoying the vehicle or not. Both our cars are same cars except for the some cosmetic differences which to me insignificant .
The jack is stored at the same place as that in the ZXi; and thanks for re-assuring! But hey, there's only one thing missing: the side RVMs are the simple ones that are similar to an Alto Lx/M800. If I want the ones that come on Vxi/Zxi, I would need to pay 2400 at MASS. I don't think that I want this upgrade!
Oh btw, did you check out my DIY thread where I have shown how to install headrests in an Astar Lxi? Do check it out. It looks pretty cool/premium and feels great.

Last edited by Dippy : 4th October 2010 at 21:48. Reason: back to back posts. Please use the multi quote option instead of creating back to back posts. Thanks
Old 3rd October 2010, 22:17   #27
Senior - BHPian

Frozenintime, that's a very nice looking A-Star. How about a separate proper ownership report?

Nice place for the jack. Had no idea about this before I saw it here.
Old 4th October 2010, 11:05   #28
BHPian

@jp - I am getting 11km/l in city with A/C or heater(in Winter ) at all times . Sorry no highway figures.
please note - The above figures are just approximate figures .

@Karan - its not worth investing so much money on ORVM as they are not that useful in A- star as the view is very limited and are easily broken.
Your DIY thread was excellent . I have a small query though - Why didn't you install the headrest directly on top of the backseat?
The fuel economy figures are good not that bad. If your not satisfied go to MASS , they may recalibrate ECU.

@MClaren Rulez - Sure . I will post a seperate ownership thread soon. Watch this space!
Old 4th October 2010, 21:36   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozeninTime View Post
@jp - I am getting 11km/l in city with A/C or heater(in Winter ) at all times . Sorry no highway figures.
please note - The above figures are just approximate figures .

@Karan - its not worth investing so much money on ORVM as they are not that useful in A- star as the view is very limited and are easily broken.
Your DIY thread was excellent . I have a small query though - Why didn't you install the headrest directly on top of the backseat?
The fuel economy figures are good not that bad. If your not satisfied go to MASS , they may recalibrate ECU.
FrozeninTime, there isn't a provision to install the headrests in an Lxi; it would require me to rip open the seats and install the supporting channels and stuff. Not advisable at all. Btw, thankyou for the comments.
Yes, I will not fit the better ORVMs as I have seen a lot of cars with broken ones in choc-a-block traffic.
Old 6th October 2010, 23:14   #30
BHPian

@FrozeninTime, I observed, from the central locking and power windows controls, that they are thirsty for some liquid polish .

These are the following products that I use, may be you can use the same

Pidilite Motomax Dashboard Polish - Multipurpose
Rs. 90
For Dashboard, Tires, Mudflaps, Plastic ORVM and Wiper Panels, Door Panels, etc
Plus Points - The shine lasts upto 30 days on the inside whereas lasts upto 10-12 days on the tires.

Turtle Wax - Bought from USA
Rs. 400
For Interior as well as exterior sheet metal
Plus Points - Is easy to apply and easy to buff

Formula 1 Vinyl/Rexine/Art Leather Polish (trawberry Flavour)
Rs. 180 from a reliable custom notified shop
It leaves a rich look on my art leather seat covers, which are black in colour. It doesn't make it look tacky as it leaves a flat/deep shine. Otherwise, after frequent usage and exposure to sunrays, it kinda of becomes dull.

Valvoline Car Shampoo
Rs 5 per pouch of 10ml. 200ml = 85
For Washing the car from outside especially during rains and once a month during other seasons.

Others:

Dust Mitt - Handglove Type
Cost Rs 90
I dip this in a bucket full of diluted Valvoline Car Shampoo and rinse it off with a hose pipe or strong throws of water with the help of a tumbler.

3M Microfibre Cloth x 2 (1 for Glass the other for Body)
Cost Rs. 100
For drying the body panels and other parts without leaving scratches, lint, whitish lines/water droplets etc.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks