Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2012, 13:09   #106
BHPian

Re: Experience A-Star (Read: Experience a star)

have you brought it to the notice of MASS? Developing rust so soon is quite concerning. I suggest that you do so and ask them for a remedy.
Old 29th April 2012, 21:36   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan1609 View Post
The other day, I had opened up my door pads to insulate it with yoga mats and to my horror saw the following:

The lower half of the door has started to develop rust from inside! If not totally corroded, I can atleast see it turn brownish! If not checked right now, it will only get worse during the upcoming rainy season and there after!
Can you post pictures? I'm sure the company offers a corrosion warranty so take it to the dealer and have them look at it.
Old 6th May 2012, 20:09   #108
BHPian

I observed this only a couple of weeks ago. I think the main problem could be that the water seeps in through the gaps between the weathering strips and the glass corners. This water due to constant downpour during rains, may be getting accumluated in the door panels and eventually drain out through the small holes.

The rust is around 1 foot in height starting from the bottom of the door. I saw this on all the four doors on the inside. The doors have turned brown and not the reddish brown or have not started to eat away the metal.

But all of you are right, I need to get it checked right away before it is too late. I was thinking of coating it with Bosny Rubberized Spray. But I will get it coated at the dealership with some anticorrosion treatment.

I am kinda worried about the quality of cars being offered by Maruti these days. My good old M800 was around 10 yrs old and did not have any rust issues inside the door panels or else where (unless it had any deep scratches). Sad!
Old 14th May 2012, 23:33   #109
BHPian

Of late(today that is) I am hearing a faint 'kit kit kit kit' kind of sound from the driver co-passenger side. It seems to me the lower side of the door.
Any suggestion on how to identify the exact cause of the sound/any idea from where the sound may be coming?(you being the rattle free A-star expert)

It is audible only on quiet roads with a bit rough surface and the 4-speaker Xplod ICE system switched off.(LXI)
Old 16th May 2012, 18:36   #110
BHPian

@karan1609 - Wonderful thread. Very detailed and informative.

I have an A-Star (Vxi) 2011 model. I have done about 26000 kms.
Of late, when i slot in 1st gear and release the clutch gradually, there's not enough torque to propel the car forward and i end up stalling.

Most of the times i've to release the clutch a little and simultaneously press the accelerator too.

Any ideas as to what might be the problem or is this how the A-Star's clutch is.
Old 27th May 2012, 00:56   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saion666 View Post
Of late(today that is) I am hearing a faint 'kit kit kit kit' kind of sound from the driver co-passenger side. It seems to me the lower side of the door.
Any suggestion on how to identify the exact cause of the sound/any idea from where the sound may be coming?(you being the rattle free A-star expert)

It is audible only on quiet roads with a bit rough surface and the 4-speaker Xplod ICE system switched off.(LXI)
I would suggest that you have a look at the glove compartment. When the car is idle, gently keep tapping on the glove compartment. If it rattles, then you have found the culprit.

Have you fitted power windows or any accessories on the LHS front door? The cause could be a lose power window component or the central locking gun or the speakers.
karan1609 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2012, 01:02   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a*ed View Post
@karan1609 - Wonderful thread. Very detailed and informative.

I have an A-Star (Vxi) 2011 model. I have done about 26000 kms.
Of late, when i slot in 1st gear and release the clutch gradually, there's not enough torque to propel the car forward and i end up stalling.

Most of the times i've to release the clutch a little and simultaneously press the accelerator too.

Any ideas as to what might be the problem or is this how the A-Star's clutch is.
For now, I have changed the setting of the accelerator pedal by doing away with the "play". Similarly, I have also done away with the clutch pedal "play". However, one needs to be careful about riding the clutch. Please try this and see if the problem reduces. In my car, the moment I change the setting, I feel the difference. But I get used to that also, and the knocking/stalling persists while picking up. This is even more irritating while reversing as the engine knocks! So I have to accelerate a bit.

Does your suspension rattle a bit? I have started hearing a rattle from the steering column/rack when while turning on uneven surfaces. Or when trying to park while the steering is fully turned to either of the sides. This is especially the case when I am reversing or going over paver blocks!

I have learned to live with it and will get it changed/repaired before the 4 yrs warranty gets over!
Old 9th July 2012, 01:37   #113
BHPian

I was keen to know if anybody has started using ServoSynth SJ 5W-40 Semi Synthetic Engine Oil from Indian Oil Corp. I am thinking of putting it in my 4th service scheduled in September! It would be great to hear inputs from everyone and know the costs for 3Ltrs Can.
Old 21st July 2012, 23:57   #114
BHPian

I have started to experience atleast two rattle sounds from the engine bay. I checked for any loose pipes touching the body, or any other loose parts but no success. I think it is the sound of the steering rack. With the steering wheel fully locked to either sides, when I try to drive the car, I hear the distinct "kat kat" sound which is different from the drive shaft noise.

Any ideas what noise could this be?I am very sure that this is not the drive shaft/axle issue as at times even when the car is stationery and I try to move it a bit, the same noise can be heard with the same intensity.

With paver blockes appearing all over Mumbai roads and not to mention the pot ridden roads, driving my car has become very irritating.
Old 22nd July 2012, 10:10   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have started to experience atleast two rattle sounds from the engine bay. I checked for any loose pipes touching the body, or any other loose parts but no success. I think it is the sound of the steering rack. With the steering wheel fully locked to either sides, when I try to drive the car, I hear the distinct "kat kat" sound which is different from the drive shaft noise.

Any ideas what noise could this be?I am very sure that this is not the drive shaft/axle issue as at times even when the car is stationery and I try to move it a bit, the same noise can be heard with the same intensity.

With paver blockes appearing all over Mumbai roads and not to mention the pot ridden roads, driving my car has become very irritating.
Check the front suspension struts - bushings and strut bearing. A friend had a very similar issue in his Alto which was solved after the struts assembly were replaced along with the strut bearing as it was leaking oil and worn out. Your car being not very old will not have any leaking dampers, but check the strut bearing and bushes.
Old 8th September 2012, 20:23   #116
BHPian

Last night, there was a break in attempt. When I unlocked the car using the remote, I heard 4 beeps, instead of 2, that made me suspicious. Upon inspecting the car closesly, it seems that someone had inserted a screwdriver to pass a wire and unlock the doors and fled when the alarm mustve triggered. Resultant: Beading has got torn (about the size of a screw driver's head), bent and dented patch on the main body, badly scratched door frame! The damage is too small to get rectified, but at the same time a major eye sore!

In the last 1 week, besides the rain, my car has been kinda vandalized (unintentionally) in several parts of Mumbai while it was parked! Here is a quick list:

A SUV rammed into it while it was reversing, thereby very badly disfiguring the front bumper and pressing the horn, collision bar etc inwards. Looks like someone tried giving it a slow death (while trying to squeeze in the space between two cars).

Rear bumper has been badly brushed TWICE on the RHS while it was parked outside; a reckless driver tried to squeeze in the gap yet again!

Car got vandalized/break in attempt as described above.

Lastly, Ambi pur spilled inside as my dad carelessly intalled it upside down! The plastic on the dashboard, AC button, Air Louvers has faded!

A careless biker scraped the LHS bumper while waiting at the signal! How far did he get? Well, just one car ahead! We took off at the same time!

I will be posting pictures very soon.
Old 3rd November 2012, 14:04   #117
BHPian

My car is due for 20K servicing. I have finalized to switch from Castrol Magnatec (current) to Shell Helix Ultra. I am wondering if I really need to get engline flushing done or a simple switch over from semi synthetic to fully synthetic is okay. My car has run 19k in 2 years. I agree that the running isnt high, hence the cost of Fully synthetic isnt really justified. However, I drive on the busy Andheri Kurla road (6kms on way trip) which takes me over and hour (at times even more) to complete due to the incessant stop and go traffic. Plus, I also want to experience whether it is a hype or great in real.

I am a little confused between Mobil I and Shell Helix Ultra. Any personal recommendations, testimonies are welcome.

If the engine flush is needed, can I simply buy STP Engine flush from Reliance Autozone or is another engine flush recommended? STP costs ~Rs. 250.

Further, should I do it only at the time of the oil change (for example 20min of idling right before the oil change?) or should I do it in the gradual running a few days before the oil change?
Old 3rd November 2012, 19:40   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Further, should I do it only at the time of the oil change (for example 20min of idling right before the oil change?) or should I do it in the gradual running a few days before the oil change?
Duration of idling with flush will be written on the bottle.

IMHO Engine flush is not recommended but if you wish to flush before changing to synthetic, do it just before oil change. Engine should be warmed up too. Never move your car with the flush in the engine oil.
Old 17th November 2012, 19:53   #119
BHPian

I just got back from the MASS. I had taken along 3x1lt bottles of Shell Helix Ultra, Cyclo Engine Oil Flush. However bought the following from MASS:

Maruti Genuine Gear Oil
MGO Brake Oil
Engine Coolant
3 ltrs Distilled water

All of this combined with Service labour. In all, the 20K service, including the Shell Helix Ultra engine oil & engine flush cost me Rs. 5000.

Once they drained the gear oil, I checked it to find that it had turned silver, quite literally! The drain nut especially had a lot of silver deposits and upon cleaning it, left silver gel like residue!

Luckily, the coolant remained greenish, and was happy that it didn't turn brown, which may indicate oil is mixing with it! phew!

The brake oil remained transparent which was seen when the brake oil was bled from the system. This was the first time I saw the brake oil change process, it was quite interesting!

The engine oil had turned quite black (ran 10k on Castrol Magnatec) and I could see the deposits on the engine oil filler cap and filter! Crazy! Trust me, I am sure its not a placebo effect, but the revs have become WAY MORE SMOOTHER, along with engine becoming really quiet. The idling vibration has gone down significantly and the diesel like clatter which started once the Aircon condenser fan came on has disappeared! I revved the car at the traffic stop and I could feel the smoothness while the RPM build up was on!

Although, I would wait for ~500kms or more to fully allow the new oil to show its effects in my KB series engine. I checked with the works manager, and the people at MAruti Western region, who said that KB series does NOT ship with synthetic engine oil. It ships with and recommends Mineral oil.
karan1609 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks