Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2009, 21:33   #76
Senior - BHPian

Nice Review..
Is Nano heavier than M800 or lighter as i havent checked the specs yet?
Old 23rd March 2009, 21:34   #77
Senior - BHPian

What a superstar review! Thanks mate!

I have been waiting for this for a while now. I haven't been anxious about another supercar launch, as I have for this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Let me put first things first. The Nano drives like a car. It feels like one. And that is the biggest achievement by the R&D and the company given the cost structures.
Well said! And congrats to TATA!

Having had some experience designing and fabricating at a smaller scale, it all starts to add up really fast. The weight, the cost, the tolerances. Of course, they have almost unlimited resources at hand, still a tough task nonetheless.
I for one would love to get under the skin of a Nano.

NVH, scruffy plastics etc are still gremlins I see everyday in my 5 lakh rupee premium hatch. And if I can start to overlook it on what costs 5 times more, I sure ain't going to be complaining for this one.
Old 23rd March 2009, 21:41   #78
rippergeo

Rear engine,rear wheel drive, with a rear weight bias. getting sideways is going to be pretty economical

Old 23rd March 2009, 21:48   #79
Senior - BHPian

You have to try real hard to get it sideways. Not enough power. Have gravel, will slide!

Drifter
Old 23rd March 2009, 21:50   #80
BHPian

Amazing review - thank you GTO and Anonymous for this. After the long wait for the Nano, this review has whetted my appetite for more. I hadnt really expected it to be better than the 800...and was holding on to my 800. Wonder if it has been a mistake and I should have sold off my 800 sooner.
Old 23rd March 2009, 21:50   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
The Nano costs less than the price of two 150cc bikes in India.... have you pondered or thought about it before criticizing Tata?
I am not expecting it to be exactly trouble free or having toyota or honda levels of quality.
I'm certainly not expecting toyota levels of quality, but honda ? Yes. the two wheeler kind. I'd be surprised if the average nano has less problems than those of two 150cc bikes put together. My indica has had more niggles and minor problems than my dad's 8 year old battered and abused yamaha. And since this car is going to replace the bike , that is going to be the standard of reference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter View Post
You have to try real hard to get it sideways. Not enough power. Have gravel, will slide!

Drifter
or just swap the front and rear tires, and make sure the rear ones are bald
Old 23rd March 2009, 21:52   #82
BHPian

I'l get the engine and put it on my enfield...
Old 23rd March 2009, 21:56   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
I'd be surprised if the average nano has less problems than those of two 150cc bikes put together. My indica has had more niggles and minor problems than my dad's 8 year old battered and abused yamaha. And since this car is going to replace the bike , that is going to be the standard of reference.
And the standard of reference is flawed because it compares chalk and cheese, apples and oranges. A bunglow will almost always have more niggles than a one or two room house doesnt mean that a bunglow is useless.
Old 23rd March 2009, 21:58   #84
BANNED

Desperate to see its Engine, its mount and drive train, can some one please.A twin 3x BHP is bit tempting for me.
Old 23rd March 2009, 22:02   #85
xPK
BHPian

Very niceky written review and quite unbiased as well.
Thanks GTO and the "anonymous" driver.

Kudos to TATA!
For making every indian proud!

Jai Hind!
Old 23rd March 2009, 22:03   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhogalrajnish View Post
I'l get the engine and put it on my enfield...

Actually, that is a very good idea. Enfield is still running on single cylinder. This is the best thing they can do. The bikers society needs a much better product. I wonder how one can give away 1 lakh for a bike(enfield) which is as old as M800. Return on Investment is greater than that of M800.

Tata Nano deserves 1 lakh, for new technology and R&D and also for those 500 patents.

Last edited by ritz830 : 23rd March 2009 at 22:09.
Old 23rd March 2009, 22:05   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
And the standard of reference is flawed because it compares chalk and cheese, apples and oranges. A bunglow will almost always have more niggles than a one or two room house doesnt mean that a bunglow is useless.
would you rather have a bungalow with a leaky roof and a toilet that occasionally has problems flushing, or a 2bhk ?.

note that I'm not implying that the issue is because of the cost alone , but because the product is from a manufacturer which has been known to cut corners everywhere
Old 23rd March 2009, 22:06   #88
Distinguished - BHPian

Carwale drives the Nano

This link just came in on my email:
Tata Nano First Drive - Small Wonder - CarWale.com
Old 23rd March 2009, 22:12   #89
Senior - BHPian

[quote=Sam Kapasi;1226722]Before anyone suspects I'd like to state that it wasn't me who tested the Nano and wrote that review
quote]

Sam, I'm sure you're already thinking about the next JBL 'NANO' Twins!

3 cheers! to the NANO.
Old 23rd March 2009, 22:22   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
would you rather have a bungalow with a leaky roof and a toilet that occasionally has problems flushing, or a 2bhk ?.
A cycle will almost always be more reliable than even the cheapest motorcycle but i wont ever be a motorcycle and that the trade off people aer willing to accept.

Quote:
note that I'm not implying that the issue is because of the cost alone , but because the product is from a manufacturer which has been known to cut corners everywhere
In this case thy are saying that they have cut corners but I am sure mechanically the Nano will be as good as any around. They cut costs but also give you products which are VFM's. You cant expect the world from Tata, they are also a business not a charity.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks