Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2009, 22:27   #91
BHPian

Just saw the review and launch of Nano on NDTV Profit -- Kudos to Ratan Tata and his team for making this come true -- I and my family is impressed with this vehicle -- the wait is on for a Diesel Automatic Nano
Old 23rd March 2009, 22:30   #92
BANNED

64 years and the highest ever sold car VW Beetle will sure now find a worthy competition from the Nano.

Mr Ratan TATA, the world will benefit from your dream.

GTO - A nice review, Thank you.
Old 23rd March 2009, 22:37   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice View Post
The West doesn't like it. Green, Inc. doesn't like it. Not a great argument, as the safety aspect provided by the Nano to current 2-wheeler-riding families is completely forgotten.

World’s Cheapest Car: Boon or Bane? - Green Inc. Blog - NYTimes.com
The comments are an eye opener tho. That really tells what an average american thinks about this small wonder.
Old 23rd March 2009, 22:42   #94
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
would you rather have a bungalow with a leaky roof and a toilet that occasionally has problems flushing, or a 2bhk ?.
How about a leaky roof, leaky toilet, jammed pot, missing windowpanes, etc. in a bungalow, with a 4-year warranty by the builder promising he'll repair any problem, only thing is you've got to move out for 3 days to a hotel every time he needs to undertake those repairs? Would you still buy the bungalow or the 2BHK?
Old 23rd March 2009, 22:49   #95
Senior - BHPian

Here's Bijoy Kumar of BS Motoring's test drive report of the Nano. A nice one indeed.

Road Test: Nano second to none!
Old 23rd March 2009, 23:04   #96
Senior - BHPian

I would like to congratulate Ratan Tata on this occasion.

The only thing I am worried about is when the diesel comes out. I don't like the fact that just because it gives better mileage, we don't see the harmful effects of its exhaust (look at those Ace, Ape, truk etc.,) Since Mahindra is introducing urea injected, particulate filtered engine for the U.S market in Scorpio truck, I would hope Tata would introduce such a thing here (yeah the cost of it!!)
Old 23rd March 2009, 23:37   #97
BHPian

The brief report makes the TATA NANO look good, now only to see it in flesh. Kudos to Mr. RATAN TATA for it.

CHEERS,
G D
Old 24th March 2009, 00:10   #98
BHPian

I have seen many reviews from so called "experts" in TVs.

All have generalized opinion about nano that, over all its a good car, with good space (better than 800!), peppy engine with reasonable ride quality.

But majority have find Cabin noise is a bit problem, also AC is not up to the mark & when AC is on it will add a good amount of load on this puny engine.

Also, front seat is not adjustable (in lower versions) is a big problem, which is one of the reason why it is not that drivable on highway.
Old 24th March 2009, 00:26   #99
Distinguished - BHPian

There must be more eyes on this car than just about any ever!

Well done for the review

My one comment on the comments: if I had to reduce the price of a car to the minimum by lopping bits off, the first thing to go would be power steering. One notices its absence in tight parking situations only. My mother drove her Nissan Micra without it until just a few months before her death at 89; when I then drove it for the next few weeks, for a day or two, I wondered how she managed, then I just got used to it.

So... no power steering on a small, light car --- is very much OK with me, and that little bit of technology must be relatively expensive, I would guess.
Old 24th March 2009, 00:32   #100
Senior - BHPian

I came across this :

Buy New Cars, Used Cars, Auto News and Reviews India - Zigwheels.com

The Article :

Quote:
How the Tata Nano triumphs over its bigger rivals!
The Tata Nano has more front shoulder room than the Chevrolet Spark
Chevrolet Spark Shoulder space Front - 1120 mm
Tata Nano Shoulder space Front - 1130 mm
Tata Nano has more Headroom and is wider than the Maruti Suzuki Alto
Maruti Suzuki Alto Headroom (F/R) - 960/890 mm
Tata Nano Headroom (F/R) - 1042/970 mm
Maruti Suzuki Alto overall width - 1475 mm
Tata Nano overall width - 1495 mm
Tata Nano has more ground clearance than the Hyundai i10
Hyundai i10 ground clearance - 165 mm
Tata Nano ground clearance - 180 mm
Tata Nano is quicker than the Maruti Suzuki 800 DUO till 80 km/h
Maruti Suzuki 800 Duo 0-80 km/h - 18.84
Tata Nano 0-80 km/h - 17.97
Tata Nano is taller with more headroom, has more shoulder space and ground clearance than Hyundai's tall boy, the Santro
Hyundai Santro overall height - 1590 mm
Tata Nano overall height -1652 mm
Hyundai Santro headroom (F/R) - 1010/890 mm
Tata Nano Headroom (F/R) - 1042/970
Hyundai Santro shoulder space (F/R) - 1120/1120 mm
Tata Nano Shoulder space - (F/R) - 1130/1130 mm
Hyundai Santro ground clearance - 165 mm
Tata Nano ground clearance - 180 mm
Now it shows zigwheels is a bit inclined towards one thing : Nano is hero.
Which I dont agree.
Going by the various threads here on TBHP, I doubt the quality of Tata. Add to that the car can never touch M800 as far as reliability, handling etc. are in picture. Yes space will be more, but this is not a machine in which the family can sit in for a highway drive.
Somewhere I read this car has hydroformed subframe for engine and tranmission mounting ( I might be wrong here ) and the construction is monocoque, but I wonder how much abuse this car can really take in, as compared to Maruti 800. Now I also read that this car meets ARAI crash safety norms. Do they even exist ? If anybody can elaborate on this please do it.

This car is surely targetting a wide audience. From first time car buyers to the ones who will buy this car as thier second or third car. I understand that there will be new customes with different expectations. Its just wait and watch approach that can prove the best what this car really is.

I am watching people believe nano to better than 800, a fact I could not believe. Put both the cars in petrol mode, let them be pushed only to see the 800 behaivng better.

For me :
Nano = Glorified two wheeler.
Maruti 800 = Scaled down proper car.
I think this is all one can come to know and expect from the two cars.
Old 24th March 2009, 01:11   #101
Team-BHP Support

For all those naysayers sitting here and nitpicking you guys should read what Autoweek, New York had to say. They came down to Pune to TD this car. They noted that the car does sound a bit like a lawn-mower. They also noted that with such a small engine with 2 cylinders that is expected. But thereafter they thought that for an urban commuter this is one helluva car. Its spacious, reasonably comfortable with a real good AC and can take on any other car very comfortably on the traffic-dense roads of Pune (where they tested it).

With the Europa, due in 2011, sporting all the gizmos (ABS, EBD, Airbags), a bigger 3 cyl quick-response engine belting out 60 bhp, longer wheelbase, wider interior wide 14 inches tyres with wider tracks, leather interiors and of course NCAP rating (Europa is due soon to appear for the test) etc etc and still costing less than $5000 it will be the cheapest car anywhere in the world. And it has the potential to put more people behind the wheels than any other car in the current generation or one before ever have had.

So the story is still unfolding. And I believe Tatas are onto something this time around, irrespective of all the usual doubts and aspersions cast at it. Its definitely generating all the right responses. And in a recessionary economy when all the auto pundits are singing the doomsday tune that in itself is a big achievement to start with.
Old 24th March 2009, 01:49   #102
BANNED

Bijoy Kumar's review of the car:
Road Test: Nano second to none!

This one is going to take the world over by a storm. Nobody thought it would be so true. Eh?
Old 24th March 2009, 02:39   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
For me :
Nano = Glorified two wheeler.
Maruti 800 = Scaled down proper car.
I think this is all one can come to know and expect from the two cars.
For someone who has not TD the car, is it not rather too premature to make such a judgment?
I feel you need to be bit patient and take some more time for a better analysis and comparison.
Old 24th March 2009, 04:48   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Going by the various threads here on TBHP, I doubt the quality of Tata. Add to that the car can never touch M800 as far as reliability, handling etc. are in picture. Yes space will be more, but this is not a machine in which the family can sit in for a highway drive.
You have not said that you have seen the car, so I take it that it is conjecture. Now what makes you comment about it's reliability and handling without even having driven it, much less seen it? If an Indian family can move on a Bajaj Chetak, surely they will find Nano adequate.

Quote:
Somewhere I read this car has hydroformed subframe for engine and transmission mounting ( I might be wrong here ) and the construction is monocoque, but I wonder how much abuse this car can really take in, as compared to Maruti 800. Now I also read that this car meets ARAI crash safety norms. Do they even exist ? If anybody can elaborate on this please do it.
You need to read up more, boy. TATA was the first company to do crash tests in India and if they have done the tests and it conforms to certain norms, then it is evident that the norms exist, right? If TATA were not sure of NANO's crash worthiness, they would not dream of a European version.

Frankly, I am at a loss to understand why you are at such a pain to dismiss the Nano even before its available. Bitten by TATA, anytime?
Old 24th March 2009, 05:41   #105
Senior - BHPian

The M800 is not a 'Scaled down proper car' its an Outdated small car. No offense to the M800, but its useless comparing a car that's nearly three decades old to something that was launched yesterday. The Nano beats the 800 easily in the three main factors for small car buyers in India.
  1. Space(heck, its got more space than the Alto)
  2. Price
  3. Fuel Efficiency
This is without taking factors like safety, looks etc. into consideration. By nitpicking the Nano's shortcomings from our perspective, we are loosing the plot. Its easy to do the same with more expensive cars like the 800 and Alto.
Of course reliability is not something that can be taken for granted with a new Tata vehicle. But its unfair to write it off without even giving it a chance.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks