Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2010, 10:55   #76
Senior - BHPian

re: Just chilling with my new FIGO! EDIT: First Service Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
fitting power windows switch will not work. Seems they had a slot marked for the power window switch inside of the door handle but then couldn't get around fitting it.
I feel it's a lack of little foresight may be, or a design flaw.
Not able to fix rear power window must not be a great design.
With the fear of infuriating thedreamcatcher, let me clarify that there are many cars around where there are rear power windows though they dont roll down completely.

I guess it is the salesmen who do not miss an opportunity to BS us!

Sorry for the hijack, Greeksrik!
Old 28th December 2010, 16:47   #77
Senior - BHPian

And now for two of my best shots on this trip to close the story, one of Salem city night view and the other the infinity swimming pool
Attached Thumbnails
Just chilling with my new FIGO! EDIT: First Service Done-img_5127.jpg  

Just chilling with my new FIGO! EDIT: First Service Done-img_5168.jpg  

Old 28th December 2010, 16:52   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekSrik View Post
And now for two of my best shots on this trip to close the story, one of Salem city night view and the other the infinity swimming pool
really awesome shots geeksrik!!!!

Hope you go to more places and click more such pictures!!!
Old 28th December 2010, 16:58   #79
Senior - BHPian

Re: Initial test drive report

You've clicked some awesome pics GeekSrik. Please keep them coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
The rear windows not sliding down completely is not a "safety feature" for children, it is a design limitation.
As you have said earlier, I agree that the rear don't go down due to lack to space.But still, I find it very difficult to come in terms or accept the above fact.

In my understanding, the manufactures can overcome this problem by splitting the glass and by adding a quarter glass, for sure.(see the attached image). Moreover, it might not need much effort for them to make implement this while designing a car.

And I guess, this is a good reason why I refuse to believe that this is a design limitation. Yes, I still believe that it is a safety feature

PS:

1) I still remember those days on which I used to bang my head thinking of a way to make the window roll down completely. Almost all the cars that we had at home had rear windows that roll down only 60 -70%.

2)Apologies for this OT post. I failed to resist myself from sharing my views.

3) The image I've attached in this pictures has been copied shamelessly from T-BHP official review. I guess, Ford Figo owners won't kill me for editing that pic!
Attached Thumbnails
Just chilling with my new FIGO! EDIT: First Service Done-ford_figo_04-1.jpg  

Last edited by Klub Class : 28th December 2010 at 16:59.
Old 28th December 2010, 18:04   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post

As you have said earlier, I agree that the rear don't go down due to lack to space.But still, I find it very difficult to come in terms or accept the above fact.

In my understanding, the manufactures can overcome this problem by splitting the glass and by adding a quarter glass, for sure.(see the attached image). Moreover, it might not need much effort for them to make implement this while designing a car.

And I guess, this is a good reason why I refuse to believe that this is a design limitation. Yes, I still believe that it is a safety feature

PS:

1) I still remember those days on which I used to bang my head thinking of a way to make the window roll down completely. Almost all the cars that we had at home had rear windows that roll down only 60 -70%.

3) The image I've attached in this pictures has been copied shamelessly from T-BHP official review. I guess, Ford Figo owners won't kill me for editing that pic!

hey thanks for the effort, I do agree with that rear quarter glass thing, but that extra glass piece might add to the manufacturing costs.

But then again, may be you are right, some one may jump out of the fully open glass windows, though it sounds funny, I would like to believe it

Last edited by anilisanil : 28th December 2010 at 18:10.
Old 28th December 2010, 18:09   #81
BHPian

Quote:
But then again, may be you are right, some one may jump out of the fully open glass windows, though it sounds funny, I would like to believe it
I doubt if someone could jump out but many kids (including me when I was one) tend to pop some of their body part (head,hand,etc) out which is quite dangerous specially in India with the rash driving and poor traffic rules, no offense but I am comparing it to countries like England.
Old 28th December 2010, 18:18   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoriginal9321 View Post
I doubt if someone could jump out but many kids (including me when I was one) tend to pop some of their body part (head,hand,etc) out which is quite dangerous specially in India with the rash driving and poor traffic rules, no offense but I am comparing it to countries like England.
I refused to believe it to be a safety feature in Europe because generally people drive strapped up and children get strapped up in speacial seats which make it kind of too tough to pop their heads out of the windows. But then again, I never thought it to be a safety feature. But as with the discussion may be I should stand corrected, though it is not established (or is it mentioned in automative laws or what?)

But in India yes, I personally know a family who let their kid play in their car where the kid crawls out of the open window , I ask them what if he does that while the car is in motion, they quickly change the topic!!
Old 28th December 2010, 19:38   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
hey thanks for the effort, I do agree with that rear quarter glass thing, but that extra glass piece might add to the manufacturing costs.
After all, the rear windows in most of the European cars that I've seen do not roll down completely! May be it is to cut down the costs. Who knows?

Quote:
When I was a kid, I used to put my hands outside and wave my hands at the people whom I spot on the road side!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoriginal9321 View Post
I doubt if someone could jump out but many kids (including me when I was one) tend to pop some of their body parts...
Count me in brother!

Quote:
I refused to believe it to be a safety feature in Europe because generally people drive strapped up and children get strapped up in special seats which make it kind of too tough to pop their heads out of the windows. But then again, I never thought it to be a safety feature.
You're again making me confused! Going by your thoughts, I feel that it is not a safety feature.

Quote:
But in India yes, I personally know a family who let their kid play in their car where the kid crawls out of the open window, I ask them what if he does that while the car is in motion, they quickly change the topic!!
May be it was designed to prevent these genre of kids from jumping out of the car!

Last edited by Klub Class : 28th December 2010 at 19:40.
Old 28th December 2010, 20:01   #84
Senior - BHPian

^^ no confusion, I was just trying to tell how I previously refused to believe that it was a safety feature as people are generally strapped up there, but now I am allowing myself to believe that it is
Old 28th December 2010, 20:40   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedreamcatcher View Post
Nice pics and nice ride. Lets enjoy the pics, and leave the topic of why the rear window doesnt go down all the way.

No idea if they designed it with kids in mind, they designed it with moolah in mind ;-). As for not going down fullt, it is to do with limitations in the size of the glass and the curve of the rear dear, preventing it going down fully. Anyway, it is a case of half full half empty, start a seperate thread to debate on that

Nice pics of YCD. When I went some time back i was highly disappointed, as it was the so called season, where the sky is clear and the stub of a hill station made me want to come back to bangalore desperately, as it was raining and cooler in bangalore at the time. But looks good now
thanks dream catcher. my mom told me during summers it isnt that cold or foggy. so i guess december was a nice time. it was instantly decided, instantly booked on a weekday intuitively and we just drove off. i was fed up of deciding on many options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by btirthankar View Post
Its a trade-off. With stock tyres I was not confident of cornering and C-Curves, not that it would veer.

I get to enjoy excellent cornering albeit hard ride because of the soft compound material of Yokohama ES100. Had it been same profile Pirelli or Michelin, it would have been more comfortable.

I have been recommended 28psi pressure all around. My FIGO with 195/60R15 returns excellent mileage.

Yes my vehicle does scrape on bumpers etc, but only when I go over them a bit too fast. a 45 Degree approach angle helps. I dont complain as the vehicle underbody has been engineered to be 'Flat' and nothing gets damaged.

I in fact drove it all the way to Tawang resulting in minor underbody scrapes and yes a Oil Pan puncture due to an extraordinary incident due to my own fault.

So next time: Pirelli or Michelin for me.
thanks tirthankar, i ll look into what michelin can offer for me. agree with you on the angle, speed and the underbody design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
last saturday I went to the ford service station here in hyderabad to fix a little issue with my Ikon, as we were waiting, wife wanted to see the figo. She had a long discussion with the Sales guy, who told her, why there is no rear power window in Figo.
It seems the design on the rear door which has a bump from inside whic protrudes out of the door is the reason, due to which the glasses won't roll down fully and therefore fitting power windows switch will not work. Seems they had a slot marked for the power window switch inside of the door handle but then couldn't get around fitting it.
I feel it's a lack of little foresight may be, or a design flaw.
Not able to fix rear power window must not be a great design.
If they put a bump saying that they want a kinetic design and in the process figured out that power windows wont fit, its a SERIOUS design flaw. On the other hand it also feels like they are giving priority to looks over function. Which ever way you look at it, a non power window will bore a kid beyond a point :-) but the 60% rolldown kind of irritates, but also keeps really small kids from getting themselves out of the car through the window.

Quote:
really awesome shots geeksrik!!!!

Hope you go to more places and click more such pictures!!!
thanks anil, and yes i am looking at some more trips. hope they come soon.
Old 28th December 2010, 22:03   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post

PS:

Dude thats a great security flaw, the thieves always go for such qrtr glasses to make quick getaway. We have been victims of such crime. Somehow they are able to break it without calling for much attention.
Old 30th December 2010, 11:39   #87
Senior - BHPian

My first service was done when the car reached 2300 km. The total bill was a little over 1,300 bucks. mainly for consumables (oil and filter were changed). Vaccuming and cleaning were done. If you guys remember I have still not put any seat covers or even steering wrap. So also no alloys yet or no tyre change.

The estimates they give is a bit too optimistic in terms of the time it takes for your car to be ready again. They had estimated that it would take them about 3 hours to get this ready since its only a routine service with no major issues. However, in actual it took about 5-6 hours. So its wise to assume you wont get your car back during the major part of the day. I was loitering around MG road on a long walk thinking i can come back for the car. But the wait really killed me that day.

Upon inspection of underbody i found that the body did have a few scratches here and there making 3M coating a bit necessary for underbody. I believe it comes with 5 yrs warranty and they would touch up during each service. Else there would obviously be lots of rust picking up during due course of time.

I dont find any difference before and after service. Car is the same in terms of behaviour.
Here are some photos from the service station to complete the story.
Attached Thumbnails
Just chilling with my new FIGO! EDIT: First Service Done-img_0362.jpg  

Just chilling with my new FIGO! EDIT: First Service Done-img_0363.jpg  

Just chilling with my new FIGO! EDIT: First Service Done-img_0364.jpg  

Old 30th December 2010, 11:54   #88
Senior - BHPian

^^ 1300 seems the correct price. You would not feel much of a difference after first service except for mileage. the car starts opening up after 5k and starts OPENING up past 8000!!!

And regarding the underbody, I suggest you leave that alone, those parts dont rust, it is waste of money! IMHO
Old 30th December 2010, 16:18   #89
Distinguished - BHPian

@KlubClass, you re-used the Figo picture, as well as the thoughts I posted earlier...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
@Anilisanil, +1 to that.
In fact the rear window not rolling down fully, is a common design in all EU / American cars. The reason - if you observe carefully, these cars have a single piece glass window pane in the rear door. So it rolls down till it's bottom reaches the wheel curve as Anilisanil pointed out (remember the good old Fiat based Premier Padmini?? Even her rear windows went down incomplete...I used to hate that in childhood). Our Indo-Japanese cars are made with our expectations in mind. We love our windows to go down as much as we want. Right to the end . Just observe an Indica / Swift. There is a little quarter glass even in the window frame. Only a rectangular piece of the window glass that is ahead of the wheel well, goes down, while the rear quarter glass remains as it is. Its not a safety feature...Just a way people think of designing their windows thats all.

And yes.....
GeekSrik -
Nice to see that you were allowed full access during the service. I don't think the TASS here in Pune allows that as BAU. I'll see if they do at my next service. Good for you. 1300 is reasonable. Have you already done the under body treatment? How much did it cost you? Well I agree with anilisanil about waste of money. Okay I have done it on my Vista totally due to psychological reasons of "peace of mind" and as I got it pretty cheap. On my earlier Omni, I didn't do it for close to 5 years, and really made no difference at all.

Last edited by Reinhard : 30th December 2010 at 16:24.
Old 30th December 2010, 23:14   #90
Senior - BHPian

Re: Just chilling with my new FIGO! EDIT: First Service Done

reinhard, this was just at the main gate. i have nowhere else to stand so i can always see the car myself. its at the quick service stand. no i have not done underbody treatment yet. wish to, but wondering why its required if i am selling vehicle after 4-5 yrs. on second thoughts also i wonder how many people really see the underbody before buying a used car.

something more important as a query

i met a guy in ford during service. i guess he was one of those guys who appeared on tv and became famous over a day for something types. he was telling me according to section 237 of motor vehicles act, government has banned any kind of vehicle exchange schemes and makes it mandatory for current owner to register the vehicle in the next buyers name until which it is not absolutely transferred. this means our earlier ways of just signing some form 30 wont help anymore. you need to phyiscally go to RTO to transfer in another buyers name. point here is if we dont do it, then the vehicle can change even 10 hands with 10 price hikes before it lands into any other actual buyer (read as agents keep making their kill while this process is on). this is actually banned now.

he also told me some news appeared on november 7th to this effect but i checked both TOI and DH papers for the archives and didnt find anything. but this guy spends every morning telling this fact to tens of customers coming to metro ford. why would someone waste their time explaining this if it werent true. he also told me one of his cousins were affected with this to some huge sum and he didnt want others to suffer the same fate. quite obviuosly he also told me to 'go to computer and spread this message'

can anyone confirm about this please?

Last edited by GeekSrik : 30th December 2010 at 23:28.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks