Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2010, 15:01   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manish7 View Post
Well, I also took delivery of my 90 BHP MJD Punto recently, I have read somewhere here that one needs to keep RPM under 3000, below 2000 is not possible. Can someone confirm?
What do you mean by saying below 2000 is not possible? Is it that it's difficult to drive because of the turbo lag?

In my 3 months of ownership, I have rarely exceeded 2500rpm. Most of the time, I keep it around 1800-2000rpm. As long as you keep it above 1500, turbo lag is not very annoying.
Old 12th November 2010, 15:07   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
What do you mean by saying below 2000 is not possible? Is it that it's difficult to drive because of the turbo lag?

In my 3 months of ownership, I have rarely exceeded 2500rpm. Most of the time, I keep it around 1800-2000rpm. As long as you keep it above 1500, turbo lag is not very annoying.
Well, below 2500 is possible, but car reaches 2000 RPM in no time besides I don't feel that rush below 2000 RPM (is it different in VGT as compared to FGT) and 1800 to 2000 is really a small range to keep RPM in. In fact I can't really make out if it is 1800 or 1750 or 1850. Anyway, I think I can keep it below 2500 for first 3000 KMs. :-)
Old 12th November 2010, 15:35   #33
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnanimousdude View Post
i just opened the rear door and sat literlly to notice the sound, i was hearing something like a air leak. if i switch off the engine the sound goes off. Not sure what it is. Does this happens to Other Punto Diesel Owners?
How much fuel did you have in the tank? I have heard this from one i20 owner and it was due to some valve that is there in a fuel tank pressure release valve which produces this type of sound when it is working.

I am not sure of the exact details.
Check here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ek-silver.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2091870
Old 12th November 2010, 16:19   #34
BHPian

@EARTHed,

I have been hearing this since i have half tank, i can still hear it and now the fuel in tank is in RED Mark (reserve). So on the whole i had been hearing this since i fueled...
Old 12th November 2010, 16:38   #35
BHPian

Quote:
@EARTHed,

I have been hearing this since i have half tank, i can still hear it and now the fuel in tank is in RED Mark (reserve). So on the whole i had been hearing this since i fueled...
Better get it checked asap before you find Hissing star in your back seat
Old 13th November 2010, 20:22   #36
BHPian

Talk about FE of punto, request you to visit this link
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...arrived-7.html
Old 14th November 2010, 21:21   #37
BHPian

Hello Guys, Today i took my car in Highways for about 120 Km few points which disturbs me and pleases are

1. With A/C i could find some performance issues, i.e. without AC after crossing 1750rmp the car BOOMs, but with AC we need to push the car till such time the BOOM comes. In the sense after 80 with AC i could feel the Car goes well. I dont know the exact reason. I could feel this with the accelerator Pedal Press. I doubt how the car will pull in Ghats?

2. Well, as some of our TBhpians have i too now have some wobbling after after 80Kmph. i was not Comfortable driving i could feel that the steering getting loosen up and feel the wobble. i didnt take the car beyond 100kmph as i didnt want to revv beyond 2300rmp

* Suggessions are welcome for this issue... What can be done. IS the Tyre change the only solution?

3. Otherwise it was a comfortable drive, AC Chills like anything in No time . people said that the car is a real treat on Higways but for me it should prove :( :(

Last edited by magnanimousdude : 14th November 2010 at 21:27.
Old 14th November 2010, 22:22   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello Guys, Today i took my car in Highways for about 120 Km few points which disturbs me and pleases are

1. With A/C i could find some performance issues, i.e. without AC after crossing 1750rmp the car BOOMs, but with AC we need to push the car till such time the BOOM comes. In the sense after 80 with AC i could feel the Car goes well. I dont know the exact reason. I could feel this with the accelerator Pedal Press. I doubt how the car will pull in Ghats?

2. Well, as some of our TBhpians have i too now have some wobbling after after 80Kmph. i was not Comfortable driving i could feel that the steering getting loosen up and feel the wobble. i didnt take the car beyond 100kmph as i didnt want to revv beyond 2300rmp

* Suggessions are welcome for this issue... What can be done. IS the Tyre change the only solution?

3. Otherwise it was a comfortable drive, AC Chills like anything in No time . people said that the car is a real treat on Higways but for me it should prove :( :(
Check your tire pressures for the wobbling. If no improvement, try wheel balancing.

About the 'boom', i guess you are talking about the turbo kick. That should be there at the same RPM irrespective of whether the AC is functioning or not!

BTW, where are the pics?

Last edited by DRIV3R : 14th November 2010 at 22:23.
Old 14th November 2010, 22:23   #39
BHPian

Hi,congrats on your new car!
As far as the hissing sound goes it is the normal sound at start up because of fuel pump.
Wobbling is quite rare, may be because of defective tyres.
steering loosening up?now that is a rare complaint for a punto.anyway get it checked ASAP.
As for pulling on ghats,the torque is mighty enough for most steep gradients,even with a/c on.The engine will free up in a couple of thousand kilometres and as you learn to time the shifts it will be a joy to drive.
Dont expect searing performance though - the crazy short gearing leaves the car stifled,especially over 90 kph.
happy motoring.
Old 15th November 2010, 11:58   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
Check your tire pressures for the wobbling. If no improvement, try wheel balancing.

About the 'boom', i guess you are talking about the turbo kick. That should be there at the same RPM irrespective of whether the AC is functioning or not!

BTW, where are the pics?
Yes the Tyre pressure is kept @ 30 PSI where initially it was 20 PSI when i take the delivery, i get this wobbling just at 80~100 kmph speed mark only, the tyres are Goodyear Stock Tyres

Yes the BOOM i mention it as the Turbo Kick, Rather i will put in different words. without AC i can feel the turbo kick and with AC i couldn't find the Kick as i feel for without AC. This is what i speak as performance issue with AC ON
Old 15th November 2010, 13:41   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Yes the Tyre pressure is kept @ 30 PSI where initially it was 20 PSI when i take the delivery, i get this wobbling just at 80~100 kmph speed mark only, the tyres are Goodyear Stock Tyres

Yes the BOOM i mention it as the Turbo Kick, Rather i will put in different words. without AC i can feel the turbo kick and with AC i couldn't find the Kick as i feel for without AC. This is what i speak as performance issue with AC ON
Why do you keep tyre pressure below the recomended point(32psi)?
wobbling should not happen in such a low speed, atleast I have not noticed it in my car, I usually do 80-110, and gone till 140, the car is as steady as it is at 70kmph. And tyre should not be an issue as you have 195/60/R15, where I ride on 165/R14. Please get it checked, with or without AC I have observed the turbo kick after 2250 rpm and there is no power loss as such.
Old 15th November 2010, 20:38   #42
BHPian

Guys,

Someone please throw some light on this Hissing Issue (probably from the Pressure valve). I talked to the service guy today and he said this happens due to more gas formation inside the Fuel Tank. We cannot check this sound while we are driving, so when does all this happens, when on cold start i checked the found that the Noise level is very low after running for quite sometime i find that the noise level i.e the pressure level increased and audible sound. Confused now, what can be the solution for this and how much damage is this going to bring?
Old 16th November 2010, 19:32   #43
BHPian

What is Punto Diesel Gear Shift to Speed Ratio for optimum performance? I mean to ask when in first gear @ what speed and what RPM the Second gear needs to be shifted, so on till 5th Gear (the Gear to Speed Ratio) to get the Best Mileage and performance?

Guys if you please know about it please share it, I drive by my way where in i get the mileage of 13.5kmpl with/without AC inside City and 17kmpl 90% with AC in Highways, which i feel its too Low when compared to other Puntoers :(
Old 17th November 2010, 13:28   #44
BHPian

Mdude,
Fiat India. May be this could help.
Meanwhile where are the pics mate?
Old 17th November 2010, 15:03   #45
BHPian

Hello Guys,

Sorry for the delay in Posting the Pictures, Here it goes. My White Angel!!!

I have crossed 700km as of now in this 12days and i am really a proud owner of my Punto Diesel. Some obervations from my End are

1. Had a bit of rattling issue but i figured it out! it came from the rear left door ( the issue was the Seat Belt for the rear seats got cought between the seats and the hook! i cleared it and its fine now

2. The Driving is comfortable no issues
3. Mileage has been consistent around 13.5~14 with AC in city and 17 in Highways (i believe it will increase :()
4. Still Having hissing sound which i am checking and have asked our fellow Tbhpians for help
5. Again i have a doubt in performance issue with A/C on with full load(5 people) inside, whereas no issues without A/C with full load. I think i need to get accusted to it
6. Whobbling issue @ 80~90 kmph have not driven beyond 100kmph so far as i am more keen on its RMP level, Not driven more than 2300rmp
7. There is some engine noise inside the cabin when A/C on with 5 people inside i will be thinking to the engine, and comparitively lesser noise with 5 people inside.

8. The Most annoying thing is the Stepney wheel inside the dicky, which jumps and makes noise when i climb down the speed breakers. I have tightly screwed it and checked it but still i get it, in this weekend planning to get some Good Rubber fiber kinda stuff with exact wheel size planning to place it below the wheel and then going to screw tight. Let me see what i can do for it...

Guys please give technical information on the below

What is Punto Diesel Gear Shift to Speed Ratio for optimum performance? I mean to ask when in first gear @ what speed and what RPM the Second gear needs to be shifted, so on till 5th Gear (the Gear to Speed Ratio) to get the Best Mileage and performance?

Hope you people will enjoy the Pictures

LOL!! in the 2nd picture its my granny, she is so old and so cute she is now just 4 feet, the moment she saw the car she climbed inside and sat in the Driver seat. The funny part is actually she is swinging her legs inside
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Punto MJD Boso Nova White : 8000km Update-17112010107.jpg  

Fiat Punto MJD Boso Nova White : 8000km Update-05112010100.jpg  

Fiat Punto MJD Boso Nova White : 8000km Update-17112010108.jpg  

Fiat Punto MJD Boso Nova White : 8000km Update-17112010109.jpg  

Fiat Punto MJD Boso Nova White : 8000km Update-17112010110.jpg  

Fiat Punto MJD Boso Nova White : 8000km Update-17112010111.jpg  

Last edited by magnanimousdude : 17th November 2010 at 15:07.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks