Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2011, 10:10   #31
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Toyota Etios V - Initial Ownership Experience

Superb report on a superb sedan. Congratulations, Upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upgrade View Post
Handling & cornering - The car handles really well.
Between the Etios / Dzire / Manza brigade, the Etios accelerates the fastest, has the best low end torque, is the best handler and also has the best brakes. The Manza is overall more comfortable though, especially in the city, thanks to a better rear seat (sofa).

Quote:
Noise: The engine noise is pretty high and it is even higher that the diesel dzire when you start the car. Till 70 kmph it would be engine noise and after that it was tyre noise (Good Year in my case)
True. Even I made a note of this in my test report. All down to the naked wheel arches and poor insulation.

Quote:
Some pictures below. I am trying to post pictures that are not already posted elsewhere in the forum.

Carpet material used in the boot. It is the same in every part of the car. In some places in the boot, it is nothing.
Attachment 497543

Levers to open boot and fuel lid. They have given lot of space that makes it easy to operate them. But there is also a deep well formed that will result is easy dust (& coin) collection.
Attachment 497544

Seat colour combination, design and fabric quality are good for V variant.
Attachment 497545

The "unintended acceleration" effect: The driver side mat has 2 "safety hooks" to prevent the mat moving. Note the huge gap between where mat ends and the accelerator. Expect this space to become very dirty.
Attachment 497546

Steering wheel: Looks good, feels good
Attachment 497547

Single Wiper: It stays slightly higher on top of the windshield affecting visibility. You can view even below the wiper.
Attachment 497548

How deep is the boot? Very deep, 37 inches to be precise

Attachment 497549
I deeply respect this kind of attention to detail. Respect, man!

Drive safe.
Old 8th February 2011, 11:54   #32
Team-BHP Support

Looks like the V steering wheel does not have that cut at the bottom and is round. I know the audio controls are missing but it looks like a different wheel altogether. The horn also extends out more and looks easier to press with thumb.
Old 8th February 2011, 17:41   #33
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Chennai trip - 840 km done now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrive4fun View Post
I test drove etios couple of days back and my observations are also similar to you regarding the NVH level. Infact as I turned on the ignition, I initially got the impression that it is a diesel car. Throughout the drive also I could hear the engine. Is there any method to reduce the infiltration of engine noise ??
Do you mean to say that engine noise and vibrations inside the cabin are deal breakers for anyone looking out for a decent sedan.
Wondering why have Toyota gone ahead and remove insulation material resulting in high Noise and vibrations .
Old 8th February 2011, 18:36   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gshanky View Post
Hey buddy, Congratulations on your Upgrade .

Yours is the first Etios ownership thread in tbhp. So a lot of folks will be eagerly watching this. Please provide frequent updates possibly with more photos too.
This is not the first ownership review. RegularIndian already has a car since January and has posted a detailed review.
Old 9th February 2011, 13:41   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Some pictures below. I am trying to post pictures that are not already posted elsewhere in the forum.

Steering wheel: Looks good, feels good
Attachment 497547
Is that where they 'hang' the USB/AUX attachment ? I see a USB drive connected behind the gear.

The silver parts of the steering press for the horn on the V, right ?
Old 9th February 2011, 17:12   #36
BHPian

Re: My Chennai trip - 840 km done now!

@Upgrade - thanks for the input! Wifey is insisting that we go for the cheaper quote from Reliance, while I felt biased towards Tata AIG based on the forum member's experiences. I'll show her your post as an additional point in my favour

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj123 View Post
Do you mean to say that engine noise and vibrations inside the cabin are deal breakers for anyone looking out for a decent sedan
I've TD-ed the Etios twice in two different showrooms in Mumbai - once on the smooth Worli Seaface stretch and once on a somewhat rougher Marine Drive stretch. My experience was that the engine is silent enough up to 2500 rpm, starts getting noisy at around 3,000 rpm and is the loudest at between 3,500 to 4500 rpm. However, even at the loudest, did not feel it was loud enough to be intolerable. As a reference point - If you've experienced the Manza Petrol at high rpms, I felt that the Etios was relatively on the lower slide (less noisy by a factor of maybe 10%).

At Marine Drive, there was occasional slight vibration and harshness in the rear seat, which I felt was due to road conditions and maybe overinflated tyres rather than the engine. In both my TDs, the engine noise was nowhere near a level were it would be a deal-breaker for me. Of course. in such things everyone has different preferences and benchmarks, so my views may not hold true for others.
Old 9th February 2011, 21:49   #37
BHPian

Good one...yes I have an Etios delivered on 17th Jan, TBHP review posted on 18th Jan.

I agree with the observations in this review, however after having driven around 500kms the characteristics change, the engine becomes smoother and silent. Im sure it will further improve as it further 'breaks in'.

There is an update on the first 300 kms drive as well. Search for 'Etios in 45 days' on TBHP search for read through more.
Old 10th February 2011, 00:04   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Levers to open boot and fuel lid. They have given lot of space that makes it easy to operate them. But there is also a deep well formed that will result is easy dust (& coin) collection.
Man, what nifty observations. You are really gelling well with your car in short time.

Quote:
Single Wiper: It stays slightly higher on top of the windshield affecting visibility. You can view even below the wiper.
Could it be set in invisible black area (as they call invisible wipers) with proper adjustment and alignment of the fitting?
Old 10th February 2011, 09:45   #39
BHPian

The Etios looks very neat in those pictures. Congrats on the purchase.

What is the service interval for Etios? Is it the same as petrol Altis, i.e. 1 mo/1K, 12 mo/10K? I'm curious to know if Toyota recommends an oil change during the 1st free service at the 1K mark.
Old 10th February 2011, 10:11   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny25 View Post
Is that where they 'hang' the USB/AUX attachment ? I see a USB drive connected behind the gear.

The silver parts of the steering press for the horn on the V, right ?
Yes, the silver part is for honking.
Here is a closer picture of aux/usb-in location.
Toyota Etios V - Initial Ownership Experience-10022011304.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
Man, what nifty observations. You are really gelling well with your car in short time.

Could it be set in invisible black area (as they call invisible wipers) with proper adjustment and alignment of the fitting?
I will check that in my first service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict View Post
The Etios looks very neat in those pictures. Congrats on the purchase.

What is the service interval for Etios? Is it the same as petrol Altis, i.e. 1 mo/1K, 12 mo/10K? I'm curious to know if Toyota recommends an oil change during the 1st free service at the 1K mark.
Yes, the first free service is in 1 month and the 2nd free service is 10K/12 months and the 3rd free service is 20K/24 months. But the maintenance schedules also talks about certain inspection to be done at 6 months interval. I will get more details when I take the car for first service.

Toyota Etios V - Initial Ownership Experience-10022011309.jpg
Old 10th February 2011, 10:48   #41
BHPian

Quote:

Yes, the first free service is in 1 month and the 2nd free service is 10K/12 months and the 3rd free service is 20K/24 months. But the maintenance schedules also talks about certain inspection to be done at 6 months interval. I will get more details when I take the car for first service.

Attachment 498963
Thanks for putting up the schedule. I see that only brake pads/brake fluid need inspection/topping up after 6 months.
Old 10th February 2011, 10:52   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, the silver part is for honking.
Here is a closer picture of aux/usb-in location.
Attachment 498962

Thank you for the close up image, so its not exactly hanging but it is fixed at the lower end.

Its good that the service interval is once every 10,000kms / 12 months.
Old 10th February 2011, 17:45   #43
BHPian

I happened to visit Toyota dealership with a friend who wanted to book and do a TD.
Incidentally there was a accessories training schedule going on ..it was nice to see the security system which works on existing remote key of vehicle and it has many functions like shock sensors etc..
Old 10th February 2011, 18:58   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny25 View Post
Its good that the service interval is once every 10,000kms / 12 months.
It's 10,000 kms/6 months, rt ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramesh View Post
Incidentally there was a accessories training schedule going on ..it was nice to see the security system which works on existing remote key of vehicle and it has many functions like shock sensors etc..
That's cool. We can use the original remote for the upgraded security kit.
Old 10th February 2011, 22:15   #45

Congrats on your new Buy.
How much is the On road price? Any offeres from dealer? which dealer?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks