Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2011, 20:57   #76
BHPian

Re: Toyota Etios V - Initial Ownership Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by vebmetal View Post
That's strange. My experience is quite different. I have driven 700km+ on my etios (V variant), and have filled full tanks twice. In my car each dot almost exactly represents 75km. So far the average I have been getting is 12.7 kmpl (95% city driving, and 5% DND, grater noida expressway type highway driving).
Lucky you! I just filled after 300 km of city driving (Whitefield/Kadugodi area). My mileage was 10.4 kmpl (302/29.04) with 100% ac. I used to get around 12.5-13 kmpl in my old santro (pre-eRLX model).
What is the typical mileage that other cars give in your driving area? Also, do you top up when you fill your tank? I top up & it is almost 3.5 litres after the auto stop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikramsarathy View Post
Congrats on your new car & your experience..
Could you elaborate your purchase experience at the dealer.. I think there were no cars initially for a month when it was launched. How did you get convinced with your decision to book with out looking / experiencing a car?
The guys are good. But I have a feeling that if you are an employee of big corporates, you can get your delivery advanced by sending a cribbing mail to Toyota. They treat the sales to corporate employees with preference. Also, they love customers coming for Fortuner & Innova than Etios.

One more update: Some of my friends drove the car. They felt the car was not noisy as I claimed to be. They felt car was very powerful. But the brake was rated to be less effective compared to Punto Emotion pack MJD.

So, no more cribbing about the noise! (now it is about mileage!!)
Old 18th February 2011, 23:55   #77
BHPian

Steering of Etios

Etios steering has almost 4 circles (should be around 3.85) from end to end with a turning radius of 4.9 meters. This is unlike my previous car (Santro) that had only 3 circle for a turning radius of just 4.4 meters. The result is you feel like making too many circles while taking from parking lots with lots of zig-zag turns and during parallel parking.

Look at the picture (sorry for the poor quality). This is the left full turn of the steering. Is there any other car similar to this?
Toyota Etios V - Initial Ownership Experience-18022011317.jpg
Old 19th February 2011, 09:13   #78
Team-BHP Support

Yes upgrade, there is a car similar to this. The Corolla Altis. lol.

In the basement parking I have to make full 2 turns left and right of the wheel for 90degree turns. Because of this maneuvering in the basement is actually tricky.

In my figo I need 3/4th turn for the same 90 degree turns.
Old 19th February 2011, 11:14   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upgrade View Post
Etios steering has almost 4 circles (should be around 3.85) from end to end with a turning radius of 4.9 meters. This is unlike my previous car (Santro) that had only 3 circle for a turning radius of just 4.4 meters. The result is you feel like making too many circles while taking from parking lots with lots of zig-zag turns and during parallel parking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Yes upgrade, there is a car similar to this. The Corolla Altis. lol.

In the basement parking I have to make full 2 turns left and right of the wheel for 90degree turns. Because of this maneuvering in the basement is actually tricky.

In my figo I need 3/4th turn for the same 90 degree turns.
EPS is the reason - as the motor is installed on the steering column,the no. of turns would be as much as in a conventional non-powered steering
Old 19th February 2011, 11:17   #80
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
EPS is the reason - as the motor is installed on the steering column,the no. of turns would be as much as in a conventional non-powered steering
Nope it's not cos of EPS. Havent seen this in the Alto or the Swift. It's the Toyota's steering rack. They don't make quick steering racks. It's supposed to be safer on highways but I hate it.
Old 19th February 2011, 12:00   #81
BHPian

Congrats on the Etios. A new model from Toyota will definately give good service. I guess you get the value of a Honda City on the Etios for 2 lakhs less !!

Drive safe !
Old 19th February 2011, 13:12   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Nope it's not cos of EPS. Havent seen this in the Alto or the Swift. It's the Toyota's steering rack. They don't make quick steering racks. It's supposed to be safer on highways but I hate it.
EPS Motor>>Steering Column>>Pinion>>Rack - Yes,if the rack is not the "quick" type,then what you had mentioned happens

I had a Versa and faced the same issue in it.

All hydraulic PS systems that I have handled use fewer turns of the steering wheel from lock to lock
Old 19th February 2011, 23:35   #83
BHPian

Toyota Etios - Quality issues

First, here is "Toyota English" - Taken from Toyota Genuine Accessory (Door mat). Check the circled ones.

Toyota Etios V - Initial Ownership Experience-19022011321.jpg

Next, my co-passenger window rubber beading has gone in. It could be due to the sun control film fixing. But definitely makes me to worry about the build quality of the car.

Toyota Etios V - Initial Ownership Experience-19022011323.jpg

I also have a very small rattling sound from the front right side door. It was not fixed in the service.
Old 20th February 2011, 12:31   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Why is it supposed to be safer ?
Old 20th February 2011, 14:00   #85
BHPian

Re: Toyota Etios - Quality issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upgrade View Post
Next, my co-passenger window rubber beading has gone in. It could be due to the sun control film fixing. But definitely makes me to worry about the build quality of the car.
Actually I jumped the gun. Both the front doors look the same and the rubber has not gone in. But the rubber beadings on both the sides of front windows are not aligned equally creating a perception issue.
Old 21st February 2011, 10:00   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I do have to turn the EPS on my WagonR at least 30% more than the HPS on my Fiesta. I guess your observations are not only related to Toyota, but also to EPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
EPS Motor>>Steering Column>>Pinion>>Rack - Yes,if the rack is not the "quick" type,then what you had mentioned happens

I had a Versa and faced the same issue in it.

All hydraulic PS systems that I have handled use fewer turns of the steering wheel from lock to lock
Bingo!
Old 21st February 2011, 17:32   #87
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny25 View Post
Why is it supposed to be safer ?
A "quick" steering responds immediately to input, and with a greater turn action to a given steering input (compared to a "slow" steering). When cruising at 140 kph (as an example), this can be dangerous as even the slightest twitch on the steering wheel will lead to the car drastically changing direction. You should see the ol' Mercs which were built for cruising at 250 kph on the Auto Bahn. They had an awfully "slow" steering which wasn't ideal for the city, but great on the Auto Bahn.

The modern solution? "Variable Ratio Steering". Google up to read more on it.
Old 22nd February 2011, 00:21   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
A "quick" steering responds immediately to input, and with a greater turn action to a given steering input (compared to a "slow" steering). When cruising at 140 kph (as an example), this can be dangerous as even the slightest twitch on the steering wheel will lead to the car drastically changing direction. You should see the ol' Mercs which were built for cruising at 250 kph on the Auto Bahn. They had an awfully "slow" steering which wasn't ideal for the city, but great on the Auto Bahn.

Thanks a lot GTO. That was really well explained.
Old 22nd February 2011, 10:39   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Just for my knowledge, which cars in the market today fall in this category?
In my experience, I think the FORD cars have a quick and responsive steering which I really liked. Is that true? Can these cars be more dangerous while maneuvering at high speeds?
Does it anyway relate to EPS vs HPS?
Of all cars I have driven, I found the WagonR most scary to dive at higher speeds due to the steering and body roll
Old 22nd February 2011, 12:49   #90
Team-BHP Support

The Honda Accord has a Variable ratio steering. Around centre it responds slower and quickens up as you keep turning the wheel. Takes a while to get used to but the system works.

Cars with quick steering are dangerous for amateur drivers. In emergency situations if you apply too much of steering inout it can be very dangerous.

I find the slower steerings to be dangerous cause it's not easy to pull off evasive manoeuvres in slow steering racks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks