Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2011, 19:15   #1
BHPian

A brief on my deciding on Etios

I had a Santro from 2004. My experience was very good. It is easy to drive in city, easy to overtake, easy to park, take U turn with very decent pick-up too.

But things changed over a period of time. When I bought Santro, not many powerful cars (and bikes) were there. I didn't see many cars overtaking me. After 5 years things changed. There were Swift and many more sedans that were faster than Santro. My car too started showing the signs of age. "Running repair" started coming due to wear and tear. That's when I decided to upgrade my car.

My mind was narrowing down to Dzire till a year ago when Manza came into picture. The Etios too was launched with the news that it would be priced in the Dzire category. I narrowed down my choice to these 3 cars with Logan as a possible dark horse if there was going to be too much waiting period for these cars.

I booked Etios on Nov 24 just to ensure that I would get it immediately if I liked it. Once the spec and price were announced I decided that if it was going to be petrol it would be Etios. With the price difference between Petrol and Diesel at 23 Rs., I also shortlisted Manza ABS diesel as the second choice just in case if Etios delivery was going to be delayed. But the dealer offered to deliver Etios during January itself, I decided to stick to Etios with the belief the Petrol -Diesel price difference would come down.

Initial impressions

These are my initial observations after the test drive and first 50 km driving

Positives:
Space - Lot more spacious than Dzire at par with Manza
Very responsive engine
Very smooth gear (It took 5k km for my Santro to become smooth)
Paint quality
Fit & Finish
Ground Clearance

Average/OK:
Plastic quality - but all cars in this category are like this
AC - I will know more in the coming days
Seat comfort
RVM visibility

Negatives:
Huge gaps around the doors
Noise level in the cabin
Weak horn
Speedometer marking lines
Very basic music system
Only one remote locking key
Door doesn't lock automatically once the car started

Few pictures below

In the stockyard:
Toyota Etios V - Initial Ownership Experience-29012011267.jpg

Before delivery:
Toyota Etios V - Initial Ownership Experience-02022011283_1.jpg

After Delivery:
Toyota Etios V - Initial Ownership Experience-02022011284.jpg

Tomorrow I am planning for a Bangalore - Chennai trip. I hope to cover most of the run-in during this period.

One question: The user manual says "Do not drive at extremely high speeds" during the run-in period. No speed/rpm restriction is given. Can I drive at 100-120 kmph speed?

More updates & pictures in the coming days!

AFTER Chennai Trip

I completed my Chennai trip. The odometer is 840 km now. While going to Chennai, I maintained 70 - 90 kmph. I tried to slow down once in a while to 50 kmph to not maintain "constant speed" during run-in period. While returning, I maintained 80-100 kmph speed.

Now, FE of the car: Bangalore to Chennai is a downward slope. FE was 15.13 with 30% city (Bangalore & Chennai) and 70% highway (70 to 90 kmph). For the return journey which is a upward slope, FE was 14.78 (80-100 kmph, 100% highway). Not an impressive mileage, but I hope it improves after the service. All figures with 100% AC on.

Other observations:

Positives:

Handling & cornering - The car handles really well. The car loves curves and take them with aplomb. After driving the same stretch in Santro just a month ago, it was really nice to see how easily and effortlessly the car takes the curves. There is literally no need to slow down in almost all the curves between Chennai and Bangalore. There is also no need to flex your body or hold the sides when taking the corners.

Torque: The need to shift gears is very less. you can even plan & overtake vehicles even from 50 kmph without downshifting. The car is very quick to reach higher speed within seconds. The car is at ease even while climbing upward slope. I could see a huge difference between Santro and Etios in the stretch between Krishnagiri and Hosur. I did downshifting only once or twice.

Smoothness: The engine is smooth though out my travel. It doesn't feel like a brand new engine with no coarse feeling at all. It is always willing to rush at any gear at any speed (well, almost) waiting for the tap of the right foot.

AC: AC is quite good and we didn't feel the heat even during our noon and afternoon drive. But for summer, I will require sun control films. There was no visible power drop due to AC on.

Ride: The ground clearance is really good and the suspension handles the bumpy road really well considering how light the car is. The seats are on a firmer side though.

Front & Rear views are good

Negatives:

Noise: The engine noise is pretty high and it is even higher that the diesel dzire when you start the car. Till 70 kmph it would be engine noise and after that it was tyre noise (Good Year in my case)

Vibration: When the engine is idling, you can feel the vibration in your seat and in the door. Surprisingly, no vibration in the gear lever and the steering wheel.

Rear seat comfort: There is no contouring in the rear seat. My wife was not happy with the poor back support. Need to buy 2 pillows.

Music system is average and it doesn't even have a mute option. But I will live with it for some more time.

Coming next - some pictorial observations.

Carpet material used in the boot. It is the same in every part of the car. In some places in the boot, it is nothing.
Toyota Etios V - Initial Ownership Experience-100_1997.jpg

Levers to open boot and fuel lid. They have given lot of space that makes it easy to operate them. But there is also a deep well formed that will result is easy dust (& coin) collection.
Toyota Etios V - Initial Ownership Experience-100_2001.jpg

Seat colour combination, design and fabric quality are good for V variant.
Toyota Etios V - Initial Ownership Experience-100_2003.jpg

The "unintended acceleration" effect: The driver side mat has 2 "safety hooks" to prevent the mat moving. Note the huge gap between where mat ends and the accelerator. Expect this space to become very dirty.
Toyota Etios V - Initial Ownership Experience-100_2006.jpg

Steering wheel: Looks good, feels good
Toyota Etios V - Initial Ownership Experience-100_2007.jpg

Single Wiper: It stays slightly higher on top of the windshield affecting visibility. You can view even below the wiper.
Toyota Etios V - Initial Ownership Experience-100_2011.jpg

How deep is the boot? Very deep, 37 inches to be precise

Toyota Etios V - Initial Ownership Experience-04022011291.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 9th February 2011 at 18:15. Reason: Combining all your review posts into the opening post
Upgrade is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2011, 19:55   #2
BHPian

Re: Toyota Etios V - Initial Ownership Experience

The car looks great!Congratulations on the new buy!

What did the OTR come to?Do you plan to change the music system?

Any accesories etc planned for the car?

Enjoy the Blr-Che drive.

Congrats again!
Old 3rd February 2011, 20:10   #3
BHPian

Congrats on your new Etios

Please post more interior photos of Etios and have a Happy & Safe Long Drive
Old 3rd February 2011, 20:11   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upgrade View Post
Can I drive at 100-120 kmph speed?
Congratulations.
Etios is a very sensible entry level sedan.

Dont go above 2000 RPM for the 1st 1000 Km and 3000 RPM for the next 2-3K.
Old 3rd February 2011, 20:20   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
Congratulations.
Etios is a very sensible entry level sedan.

Dont go above 2000 RPM for the 1st 1000 Km and 3000 RPM for the next 2-3K.
2000rpm is too low. You just have to keep it around 3000rpm little bit higher is ok.

If you drive at too low revs and shift too early you'll cause more damage than good. Lugging the engine damages it more than revving it.

Oh yeah and congrats on the Etios. First ownership review I think.
Old 3rd February 2011, 20:28   #6
Senior - BHPian

Congrats!! Probably the first ownership on team BHP? Car looks really good. Its a very sensible buy. Do keep us updated especially with mileage figures.
Old 3rd February 2011, 20:32   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upgrade View Post
A brief on my deciding on Etios

One question: The user manual says "Do not drive at extremely high speeds" during the run-in period. No speed/rpm restriction is given. Can I drive at 100-120 kmph speed?

More updates & pictures in the coming days!
Congratulation on your buy. I am not sure about Toyota brands though, for Honda its definitely high speed. I would assume ideal would be 60 to 80 max.
Old 3rd February 2011, 20:38   #8
BHPian

And a good upgrade, Upgrade
Hope the Toyota serves you well for a long time to come.
Old 3rd February 2011, 20:47   #9
BHPian

first congrats on your new machine.

Today morning while going to office saw an etios. Came back now only to fine the first ownership thread. Really good. Just post a detailed review once you come back from your trip along with the interior pics.
Old 3rd February 2011, 21:18   #10
BANNED

Congrats Upgrade for new beauty, Today I checked my friends new Etios, It was top model and he got the delivery in flat one month to his surprise as was told by dealer that delivery will be in six months.
My initial impression is about the car is good.
I will post more in after checking it more.
Old 3rd February 2011, 22:11   #11
BHPian

All - Thank you for the wishes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
Congrats!! Probably the first ownership on team BHP? Car looks really good. Its a very sensible buy. Do keep us updated especially with mileage figures.
RegularIndian already has a ownership thread (G variant). Sales Executive told that the test drive vehicle is giving 14 kmpl. I don't believe it. If I get 13 in city driving condition, I will be more than happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
2000rpm is too low. You just have to keep it around 3000rpm little bit higher is ok.

If you drive at too low revs and shift too early you'll cause more damage than good. Lugging the engine damages it more than revving it.

Oh yeah and congrats on the Etios. First ownership review I think.
I think 3000 rpm should help me to reach 100 kmph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajinibm View Post
The car looks great!Congratulations on the new buy!

What did the OTR come to?Do you plan to change the music system?

Any accesories etc planned for the car?

Enjoy the Blr-Che drive.

Congrats again!
It came to 7.61 with insurance taken by me with TATA-AIG (Pearl policy). Dealer wanted me take the newly introduced Toyata Insurance (Chola) that was costlier by Rs. 6000. I asked them to match the quote that I got from TATA-AIG which Chola didn't.

Right now no plans to change the music system. It is basic but serves the purpose. May be after a year or two, I will change.

Sun film, Reverse parking sensor and may be under body coating to reduce the noise are what I planned for now

Has anyone heard about Infra Kool sun film? Dealer offers it for 9,500 including windshield.
Old 3rd February 2011, 22:12   #12
BANNED

Congratulations on the new buy. The car looks decent. i hope it serves you well. How is the ride quality and the suspension of the car if compared to the dzire?
Old 3rd February 2011, 22:22   #13
BHPian

Congratulation on your new Eitos. This is the second Etios ownership review in the forum.

Kindly update us on the OTR price and interior pictures. Do tell us more about the ride and handling.

Happy and safe driving
Old 3rd February 2011, 22:25   #14
BHPian

Congrats-great buy,i checked out the car in the first showroom in himachal,its pretty bigger than dzire yet not out of tone like manza-just the waiting period of a year seemed like HELL!!!
Old 3rd February 2011, 22:26   #15
BHPian

Hey buddy, Congratulations on your Upgrade .

Yours is the first Etios ownership thread in tbhp. So a lot of folks will be eagerly watching this. Please provide frequent updates possibly with more photos too.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks