Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2012, 13:44   #301
Senior - BHPian

re: Story of my Italian horse - Fiat Punto 90HP. EDIT: Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by punto_ View Post
Interesting and wired comparo, raj!

I always felt that Innova can attain better top speed than Punto, isin't that correct?
I reached 175 on my Punto (just for the testing purpose on a straight line with no traffic anywhere near - wound't suggest these speeds to anyone!)

How much do you think Innova can achieve?
Punto can manage better speeds on the highway. Innova feels sluggish after 120 kmph.
Old 23rd July 2012, 17:01   #302
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Reliability and ownership -

BUT, Toyota's A.S.S. is damn expensive. The oil change is every 5000 kms and servicing costs and spare parts are very very expensive.
Is that so? I have followed some of the Fortuner threads of the forum, and the service costs looked reasonable to me for a 20+L rupee vehicle. I expected Innova service costs to be atleast comparable, if not less.
Old 23rd July 2012, 17:20   #303
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
Is that so? I have followed some of the Fortuner threads of the forum, and the service costs looked reasonable to me for a 20+L rupee vehicle. I expected Innova service costs to be atleast comparable, if not less.
You can have a look at my ownership report -

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post2483342

A service bill of 10k+ every 10000 kms. Starter motor costs 10k, a single side ORVM costs 6k without painting (our's is chrome), a simple airbag sensor cable costs 10k, etc. Body panels are fragile and repairs in the A.S.S. cost a bomb.

Sorry that the ownership thread is not frequently updated!

Last edited by raj_5004 : 23rd July 2012 at 17:24.
Old 23rd July 2012, 19:27   #304
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffetfan View Post
The diesel would do 150 easily and given the right tailwind would canter up to 160 kmph! No more.
Quote:
Punto can manage better speeds on the highway. Innova feels sluggish after 120 kmph.
Interesting. I didn't realize this!
Old 23rd July 2012, 23:33   #305
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
Quote:
You can have a look at my ownership report -

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post2483342

A service bill of 10k+ every 10000 kms. Starter motor costs 10k, !
I know a lot of Innova owners closely and I am one myself. Raj's observations on service costs are an aberration rather than the rule. In three years and 45 k kms of good hard driving on a variety of highways and countryside roads, the only thing that required replacement was an INR 100 lightbulb. Even this lightbulb had only the high beam that stopped working. The service costs are 800 Rs on the 5ks service and nearly 2k on the 10Ks service (that requires 6.5 litres of oil replacement).

Note that Toyota recommends oil replacement every 10k kms, Raj replaces it every 5k kms and blames it on the vehicle...phew. I replace it only every 10k kms as recommended.

This vehicle is as reliable as they come--period. Of course Raj's vehicle is primarily driver driven while mine is owner driven - just in case if that has a bearing on the way the vehicle is handled. I have myself seen the hotel valet's trying to fry my car's clutch when they hurriedly try to pull up in the foyer.

Yes, the ORVM costs INR 6k but then the car costs INR 17 lakhs on road, so most of the part costs cannot be compared with a INR 6 lakh car else we might as well fit an assembly line in the local yard and start assembling cheap Innovas from the spare parts.

Finally, the talk on highway speeds is completely theoretical unless someone wants to average 150 kmph or even touch those kinds of speeds in India. Not me!

Last edited by Buffetfan : 23rd July 2012 at 23:48.
Buffetfan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2012, 10:57   #306
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffetfan View Post
Note that Toyota recommends oil replacement every 10k kms, Raj replaces it every 5k kms and blames it on the vehicle...phew. I replace it only every 10k kms as recommended.
Please note that now I change the engine oil at the recommended 10k only, inspite of the A.S.S. insisting that I have to change it at 5k.

And yes, because of that, the engine even sounds more gruff and even puffs out black smoke.

Quote:
This vehicle is as reliable as they come--period. Of course Raj's vehicle is primarily driver driven while mine is owner driven - just in case if that has a bearing on the way the vehicle is handled.
In the love for the Innova, please dont assume things bro.

I am a strict owner who carefully monitors the driver on how he drives and maintains the vehicle. I recently fired a driver within 6 months because he was not careful over potholes. So our drivers are carefully selected and instructed to be gentle with the cars. I love my cars as much as you do and I wont give it a rough treatment and then blame it on the car.

Quote:
Yes, the ORVM costs INR 6k but then the car costs INR 17 lakhs on road, so most of the part costs cannot be compared with a INR 6 lakh car else we might as well fit an assembly line in the local yard and start assembling cheap Innovas from the spare parts.
We replaced the ORVM some years back, when the Innova was about 13 Lacs on road, similar to the Safari and Scorpio. A Safari's ORVM would cost approx 2k and a Scorpio's ORVM costs 1.8k, now this is for reference. I would not mind paying around 3-3.5k for the ORVM since its a "Toyota", but 6k is ridiculously expensive. It maybe even more now!

In general, I do feel the parts are very expensive.

Quote:
Finally, the talk on highway speeds is completely theoretical unless someone wants to average 150 kmph or even touch those kinds of speeds in India. Not me!
It's about how much you are spending and what you are getting...
Old 24th July 2012, 15:50   #307
Senior - BHPian

So how is the roof vinyl holding up?? Its been almost a year isn't it?? How do you maintain that??

BTW your comparo was wierd but nice no doubt. Next one should be Punto vs humans
Old 14th August 2012, 22:02   #308
Senior - BHPian

Today, I had to take the worst decision of my life - to part with my beloved Pintu...

I am going to UK soon for higher studies. I will be there for atleast a year, could be more. Wont be coming back in between. And there is nobody to take care of my car. So, the tough decision has to be taken.

Yes, I am selling my Punto 90hp a.k.a. Pintu. Just the thought of parting with her makes me go into depression.

Note from Mod : 2 Smileys ONLY per post. Please follow the rules of the forum. Next time infraction

Last edited by mobike008 : 2nd September 2012 at 09:47.
Old 14th August 2012, 22:09   #309
Senior - BHPian

Awwwww so sad.

So can't you give the car to some relative or friend of yours for a bit to use and look after till you return?? Don't let this be the end of the story with your Italian horse
Old 15th August 2012, 09:21   #310
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
Awwwww so sad.

So can't you give the car to some relative or friend of yours for a bit to use and look after till you return?? Don't let this be the end of the story with your Italian horse
I tried. Nothing is working out... Looks like it has to go.
Old 15th August 2012, 09:43   #311
BHPian

Quote:
I tried. Nothing is working out... Looks like it has to go.
Raj, very sad to hear this, wanted to meet you and see your car but seems not possible now.

Let her go in someone's hand who knows punto very well and will take care of her no matter what.

However, OT - you can try out Bravo - 1.9JTD in UK
scofield is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2012, 18:50   #312
Senior - BHPian

My Pintu is gone. Sigh. Bye Bye love...
Old 1st September 2012, 19:13   #313
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My Pintu is gone. Sigh. Bye Bye love...
Dang. Was hoping to meet you and your car over the previous weekend, couldn't do it due to pure laziness! That was one beautiful car. Hope it got a good owner who'll take care of it as good as you did.

P.s. You'll be in Mumbai next weekend?

Edit: I did a Powai-Thane-Igatpuri drive last weekend. Dude. Could NOT take the Vento over 60-70 on the same curves where we did 100 on the Punto. Tried to push it the max, but didn't feel that secure to take it any faster on the curves.

Respect.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 1st September 2012 at 19:15.
ninjatalli is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st September 2012, 20:10   #314
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
P.s. You'll be in Mumbai next weekend?
Yes.

Quote:
Edit: I did a Powai-Thane-Igatpuri drive last weekend. Dude. Could NOT take the Vento over 60-70 on the same curves where we did 100 on the Punto. Tried to push it the max, but didn't feel that secure to take it any faster on the curves.
Ahh, old sweet memories already... The way it used to handle corners man.
Old 1st September 2012, 22:42   #315
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I believe in saying " All good things must came to an end " but this things can be achieved back Once you return back home .

Been following your thread since day One silently, I hope it was a pleasant experience living with pintu , san;s few trademark FIAT niggles .

Congrats for going to a New place and meeting new people. you can enjoy Pintu in UK as well with a much better engine and equipment level . Did i say a Genuine Abarth version is available in UK !!!!!!!

My UK manager drives One and Believe me half of the time we are talking about Pintu as he knows i too own one. Niggles are part of FIAT's Universal package IMO As he too faces few here and there.

Hopefully she have gone into a enthusiasts hand .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks