Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2011, 07:41   #46
BHPian

Re: Sarge - The Scorpio MHawk VLX 4x4 with Airbags

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS View Post
Checked with the M&M website and it says 5.5k for seat covers. @mbhangui, how much did you pay? Can you check the invoice and tell me?
I paid Rs 5500 for the OEM seat covers.

Quote:
Yes, I remember using it on a Shaktiman truck. Where is this in our engine bay? pointers appreciated.
Shaktiman used to be our school bus when dad was in Army. The drivers used to love this vehicle.

I have put the text "Hand Pump" just above your own photograph of the engine bay. You can see the plunger type know sitting vertically on the pump
Attached Thumbnails
Sarge - The Scorpio MHawk VLX 4x4 with Airbags-scorpio_engine.jpg  

Old 26th March 2011, 16:41   #47
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on your White Beast, looks absolutely stunning. also love your garage, looks really grand. 20 liters of reserve fuel that's half a tank for some cars!
wishing you many miles of joyful motoring with your Whitey.
Drive Safe!

P.S just read about the seat covers, how about art leather with OE style fit? do check it out.

Last edited by mdsaab : 26th March 2011 at 16:47.
Old 26th March 2011, 23:24   #48
NFS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by triedeverything View Post
Congratulations on the buy... and nice report.

I had the same issue with reaching the roof. And then when watching the car being cleaned at the ASC, I realized the trick. Climb on top of the rear tires

I've faced the remote issues that you faced. The remote was opened during my 3rd service and the 'contacts' cleaned. I've never faced the issue again. you could mention it during the first service.
Yes, now I climb on the rear wheel (good trick!), always miss my Zen. I could stand and reach everywhere on the roof top, ha ha!

I should insist on getting the contacts cleaned! will take your words and proceed! Thanks for everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbhangui View Post
I paid Rs 5500 for the OEM seat covers.

Shaktiman used to be our school bus when dad was in Army. The drivers used to love this vehicle.

I have put the text "Hand Pump" just above your own photograph of the engine bay. You can see the plunger type know sitting vertically on the pump
Thanks for the details and pointers to the hand pump! We loved its sound and the power! Being in NCC, we got the same Army Trucks for our travels to camps and back, it was really fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
Congratulations on your White Beast, looks absolutely stunning. also love your garage, looks really grand. 20 liters of reserve fuel that's half a tank for some cars!
wishing you many miles of joyful motoring with your Whitey.
Drive Safe!

P.S just read about the seat covers, how about art leather with OE style fit? do check it out.
Thanks for the wonderful compliments! yeah 20 liters is little too much IMO! will check it out during my first service!

Yes, the OE Artificial Leather Covers is what I am also looking at, but there are too many options in the market (lucky I am not in Bangalore). The worst part is the price variations, makes selection too difficult!

Will keep everyone posted!
Old 28th March 2011, 18:15   #49
BHPian

Dear NFS,

Very nice write-up and congrats. Eagerly waiting for a 4X4 review from you!!
Old 28th March 2011, 21:08   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisajid View Post
Iam not sure why iam getting charged so much, i mean i thought 10,000 is regular bill,i remember once or twice getting less than 10,000.I was abroad and my car is chauffeur driven.Anyways will check the bills and post them here,Before it was coming upto 15,000. i had mentioned this in another thread too and some t-bhpians said it was exorbitant.My wife was getting it serviced at secunderabad opposite the petrol bunk.Its mahindra authorized service centre they even have a mahindra showroom. Iam sorry will check their name.How can the service be for 3,000 iam suprised.
Please make sure that ASC is doing the services which are required and as per the Service manuals. if not reminded and demanded they will add one or another "their own preventive item" to take advantage of you. I normally demands what all needs to be done. 2 times i have forgot and ASC made sure that thay have added and charged their own items. Last time it was called as OCA brakes for 900 RS extra
Old 28th March 2011, 22:12   #51
BHPian

NFS,
Firstly congratulations on your buy.
Regarding some of the negative points quoted by you, I would like to add some insight.
1. The glove box needs a firm push to hold it in place, please do not bang it in frustration I have seen a couple of scorpios with broken glove boxes for the same reason.
2. When you are closing the rear door fold it 5 cm away from the shut position and give it a firm push, it will shut without a sweat
3. Regarding the reverse parking sensor the tow hook at the rear interferes with the central sensor and i had it disconnected on mine. All you have to do is unplug the socket but please ensure that you get both ends taped to prevent short circuits etc.
4. Regarding the horn, I dont mean to insult your intelligence so please dont get me wrong but I have seen 2 other people complain about the same thing and the problem was that they were pressing the center of the horn pad but all you have to do is press the top left or right corner of the horn pad to blow the horn.

Hope these pointers help, I was very keen on doing a similar thread myself but I wanted to do a GTO style review with lots of pics but unfortunately after having clocked 2500 kms in the frst 2 weeks of ownership I have managed to sprain my leg so bad (while crossing a road =p ) I will doing all my off roading on a couch for the next 5 weeks.

Since you are still in the running in period please keep the engine revving between 1800 and 2500 RPM for as many kms as possible before you decide to open her up, she will be silent as ever.

Last edited by Off Roadie : 28th March 2011 at 22:14. Reason: typo errors corrected
Old 28th March 2011, 23:21   #52
NFS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishF1 View Post
Dear NFS,

Very nice write-up and congrats. Eagerly waiting for a 4X4 review from you!!
Thanks for your compliments and will surely write about 4x4 when I test it. Will be later after 5000Kms or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind BS View Post
Please make sure that ASC is doing the services which are required and as per the Service manuals. if not reminded and demanded they will add one or another "their own preventive item" to take advantage of you. I normally demands what all needs to be done. 2 times i have forgot and ASC made sure that thay have added and charged their own items. Last time it was called as OCA brakes for 900 RS extra
Let us be little careful of such things and not just be one person who signs on anything and everything that Service Center guys present in front of you. A friend of mine signed some the RTO registration documents (as the rep told him just to sign on the dotted lines, and he will fill up later), when the registration papers came, he was surprised to see his name misspelled. Even though they obliged to correct these, it was another two days of job. Please guys, please, make sure you know what you are signing on or committing on!
Old 28th March 2011, 23:26   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Roadie View Post
3. Regarding the reverse parking sensor the tow hook at the rear interferes with the central sensor and i had it disconnected on mine.
It cetainly does not. The sensor is offset from the dead centre for exactly this reason, and does its job perfectly well. However, adding an after-market rear bullbar may have the effect of triggering off any or all of the sensors, especially is the bar is fixed a little too high.
Old 29th March 2011, 00:03   #54
NFS
BHPian

Hello Off Roadie,

Thanks for your wishes and time to post on this thread!

My responses are in bold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Roadie View Post
NFS,
Firstly congratulations on your buy.
Regarding some of the negative points quoted by you, I would like to add some insight.
1. The glove box needs a firm push to hold it in place, please do not bang it in frustration I have seen a couple of scorpios with broken glove boxes for the same reason.
You are right, Thanks to mahindra, they are teaching me patience. Will not break it anyway!

2. When you are closing the rear door fold it 5 cm away from the shut position and give it a firm push, it will shut without a sweat
Yes you are right, did learn this when a friend of mine was inspecting the vehicle. He gave a firm push and it closed. The problem though is when you are at the driver seat, a third person closing the door will have to be given this gyan. The root cause is the air displacement, and it is suggested to lower one of your windows, and even a gentle push would close the door without issues.

3. Regarding the reverse parking sensor the tow hook at the rear interferes with the central sensor and i had it disconnected on mine. All you have to do is unplug the socket but please ensure that you get both ends taped to prevent short circuits etc.
The tow hook was my initial suspect too, but this issue does NOT happen once in a while. This did work well, during my PDI (at the dealer's yard). So this has to be something different, will keep posted.

4. Regarding the horn, I dont mean to insult your intelligence so please dont get me wrong but I have seen 2 other people complain about the same thing and the problem was that they were pressing the center of the horn pad but all you have to do is press the top left or right corner of the horn pad to blow the horn.
No issues, no insults here! we are helping each other and I will take it in the right sense(request you too). I agree the top left and right corners of the horn pad are nice and sensitive for a gentle push. Imagine your steering wheel is 180 deg rotated, it would be difficult (for me at least) to locate the sensitive points and honk. It works fantastic on my Zen though, press anywhere on the horn pad, bingo! This is very important as during the need of a horn, you may not be able to take your eyes off the road or the vehicle ahead of you and search for the right spot to honk!

Hope these pointers help, I was very keen on doing a similar thread myself but I wanted to do a GTO style review with lots of pics but unfortunately after having clocked 2500 kms in the frst 2 weeks of ownership I have managed to sprain my leg so bad (while crossing a road =p ) I will doing all my off roading on a couch for the next 5 weeks.
Get well soon, take rest, make use of the Assembly Line feature of TBHP and jot down your review (when time permits). We all would love to read your likes and dislikes of this vehicle. BTW, congrats on your buy too! With 2500kms run in 2 weeks you should be able to review the car much better than me.

Since you are still in the running in period please keep the engine revving between 1800 and 2500 RPM for as many kms as possible before you decide to open her up, she will be silent as ever.
Mornings, switch on the ignition - wait for the initial checks to get over - wait of around 20secs, crank the engine - Never rev'ed the cold engine - will wait for another 30secs before going into 1st gear. Another 100 mts, run in idle moved into 2nd gear windows open for fresh air - medium speed drives of 30-80kmph with revs totally below 2.5k rpm - never shot it above 3k rpm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
It cetainly does not. The sensor is offset from the dead centre for exactly this reason, and does its job perfectly well. However, adding an after-market rear bullbar may have the effect of triggering off any or all of the sensors, especially is the bar is fixed a little too high.
SS-Traveller, you are correct, the sensor is offset. I have no rear bull bars, so that case is also ruled out. The most important thing is it works smooth, without issue, many times.
Old 29th March 2011, 01:19   #55
BHPian

@ SS Traveller & NFS
Regarding the reverse parking sensor, i do agree about the offset but here is what my checks revealed.
When the central sensor was connected on engaging reverse with a clear rear track there is no warning but once any one of the sensors get activated the display jumps to stop even if the obstruction is removed (tried by me and the service advisor).
Everything works fine when the central sensor was disconnected so I opted to keep it that way. Plus my old CRDe did not have any so the sensors in the current one are just a bonus which I admit I am getting increasingly dependent on.
Oh and no bullbar on mine.

A question from my end, do you think the idling noise is high??
My CRDe was a lot more silent while at idle.

Another area where mahindra has actually stepped down is the AC, I rarely used a blower speed higher than 1 in the CRDe while here I have to switch to 2 to cool the car effectively and the thermostat movement feels really flimsy on the M-hawk.

@ NFS
What Tyre pressure do you maintain play around from 29 (comfort) to 32 (hard) it makes a lot of difference.
for eg. I switch to 29 psi (cold tire) the night before a long drive the pressure usually goes upto 32 when cruising at 120 during the day so there is no abnormal tire wear, my bridgestones were still good after 65000kms on the crde, so you can take my word on that.
Try this to make the ride more comfy, the scorpio loves to bounce and go sideways on a corner if the road is bumpy.
Old 29th March 2011, 10:43   #56
Senior - BHPian

Hello NFS,

Question for you about the tow hook on the rear bumper. Do you think it can be attached to a normal 4 x 2 SLE bumper also, or does the 4 x 4 bumper have any special mount in it for the tow hook to be attached?

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 29th March 2011, 11:27   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My responses are in bold
Quote:
The problem though is when you are at the driver seat, a third person closing the door will have to be given this gyan.

Open your own door when the other person closes the rear door, and it'll close smoothly.
Quote:
SS-Traveller, you are correct, the sensor is offset. I have no rear bull bars, so that case is also ruled out. The most important thing is it works smooth, without issue, many times.
Faulty sensor. Have it replaced.
Old 30th March 2011, 12:09   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I agree with SS-Traveller. It is a faulty sensor, get it replaced when under warranty as each sensor costs Rs. 2000/- I know this from the damage caused to my sensor by a Tata 407.

I too have a 4WD Scorpio and tow hook has not interfered with middle sensor.
Old 30th March 2011, 14:14   #59
BHPian

@ 4x4addict,
Sorry had to borrow your photo but am stuck on a couch for another 5 weeks so I cant go and take snaps
As is evident from the snap the field width of the central sensor would have to be really narrow so as not to get an interference from the tow hook despite its offset.
could you please have someone engage reverse while you stand close to the central sensor and check if it is working alright, if you confirm this I can do some arm twisting once I am back on my feet.
Thanks
Old 30th March 2011, 16:30   #60
NFS
BHPian

Lot of discussion here on the center sensor. AFAIK there are a lot of 4x4 Scorpio with the tow hook and this problem is not there. I know two other Vehicles without this issue!

@Off Roadie: In my case, the sensor works perfect many a times. So it has to be something fishy when it is faulty. It could be the alignment or could be a faulty sensor, or could be a loose connection, or whatever! I will take it to the ASC and get it corrected, and report the problem here! That we I may have some solution and it will be worth a topic to discuss upon. I request you to give me some time.

Idle noise - not high IMO (did not compare with CRDE though)
AC fan speed in pos 1 is too low (not useful) pos 2 is noisy and too high IMO
Tyre pressure: I tried playing with it, and my TPMS yelled at me! 29 is too low and 34 is requested. Will try anyways!

@SS-Traveller: Good suggestion!, I choose to keep a window lowered a little bit (suggestion from another BHPian)

@comfortablynumb: you can get the tow hook fitted. There is already a thread about this! Tried searching, but was unable to locate it. The tow hook is not attached to the bumper, but you will need to buy a new 4x4 bumper and fix it. Please search TBHP for that thread, it has the precise info on how to get it done! Sorry, I could not locate it for you!

Thanks everyone!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks