Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2013, 15:15   #181
Team-BHP Support

re: Driven: The 2011 Volkswagen Passat

Quote:
Originally Posted by anoopmenon View Post
1. Getting adjusted initially to the start/stop system in hilly traffic areas. The engine cuts off and if the signal comes green that exact split second if you try to accelerate, there is a delay from the engine to start, the car will roll backwards and very likely you hit the vehicles on the rear. The first day, I almost hit a jetta on the rear. Best way to tackle this is, depress the brake to half which starts the engine, only after the engine is on then take leg from brake and go for accelerator. If it is hard to do it, switch off the Start/Stop completely when in hilly traffic or when there is a slope on the road.

3.When you start and stop the vehicle, the wiper blades have a quick impulsive movement which is clearly not vibration, even the VW guys have no idea why that happens.
1. The passat has an electric parking brake and hill hold function. Have you enabled this?

3. I believe that is to remove any ice formation so the wiper blades don't stick to the glass in icy conditions.
Old 12th June 2013, 15:23   #182
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

3.When you start and stop the vehicle, the wiper blades have a quick impulsive movement which is clearly not vibration, even the VW guys have no idea why that happens.
Same in Laura - it's by design - to reduce the localized wear and tear of the wiper rubber. Should be mentioned in your owner manual.
anandpadhye is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th June 2013, 15:32   #183

Hi Vid6639,

Thank you for the information regarding the wiper movement.

I have tried the hill hold function and it works great. Electric park brake is always used when the vehicle is stationary. The problem I have mentioned is not on very sloping hills rather at a signal where the road is little sloping say 15degree. The vehicle automatically cuts of the engine, and it will turn on when you release brake. But in some cases, by the time the engine cut off, we will get green signal and go for the accelerator. For a second the engine is off and car will roll back... It doesn't happen all the time but a bit scary. Now I clearly know what to do. Its not a fault, more or less driver getting used to the system.

Thanks,

Anoop
Old 12th June 2013, 16:31   #184
BHPian

Quote:
1. Getting adjusted initially to the start/stop system in hilly traffic areas.

6. Automatic self parking works but I have used it only 4 times so far to show it to my friends.

7. Even at high speeds I have always found the car to be responsive and always easy to handle.

8. Fuel economy always surprises me, something my friends with petrol accords are jealous of.

9. I have experienced excessive smoke from exhaust couple of times during monsoon but there were no big issues.

10. Ipod never works only option is Aux in. [Sales guy promised me Ipod support is there while making the sale]

11. Dashboard showed lit up like christmas lights, major functions like ABS, stability control, park brakes, reverse parking cameras, tyre pressure gauge all turned faulty. This was fixed next day by changing the speed sensor.

I have seen about people trying methods to bring in needle sweep and similar functions. Would look forward to hear more on those. As of now I havent done any alteration.
Hey anoopmenon,

Welcome to t-bhp! Congrats on selecting the Passat. Having owned it for pretty much the same amount of time (1.5 years), I can vouch for it.

1. I always drive with the start/stop switched off. It can be quite annoying in the slow city traffic.

3. I have noticed this too! Totally forgot to bring it up here. Anyone know why does this happen?

6. It's a nice party toy.

7. Even at high speeds, the car feels planted and solid!

8. I manage a very satisfactory 9-10 km/l. My Corollas' and City manage around 8-9 km/l with smaller engines!

9. Maybe the engine wasn't up to temperature. But do get it checked out since I've never seen my car smoking at any point of time.

10. My iPod works on the AUX, but not through the USB. Trying to get this sorted based on the suggestions 'AL' has given above. Spoke to the people at the dealership over the phone, but they weren't totally sure how to solve the problem. They suggested that I visit the dealership and try getting it sorted there.

11. This very thing happened to my car last week (though I'm clueless as to how the sensor could have been damaged). Got it fixed under warranty.

I was curious about the needle-sweep, etc too. But I don't think anyone has managed to successfully activate this. Will ask at the dealer when I go to sort out my iPod Cable.

Cheers!

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 13th June 2013 at 09:17. Reason: Removing mention of high speeds
fordfreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2013, 16:52   #185
BHPian

@ Fordfreak and anoop
If you guys don't mind online shopping you could search for mdi ipod cable on ebay or similar sites. I'm out right now, will see if I can post a link when I get home.
I think it's a bit bizarre of vw to not allow ipod connection through the usb port itself. Why in the world would you restrict something like that?
On the other hand in the Jetta they have a ipod cable and not the usb.
Many people don't know this simple solution because the dealerships themselves have no idea.
Our first service is due in a few days, I think I might have a talk with the people there to clarify on this.
'AL' is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2013, 23:23   #186

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfreak View Post

11. This very thing happened to my car last week (though I'm clueless as to how the sensor could have been damaged). Got it fixed under warranty.

Cheers!
Can you please explain what exactly happened? The question I am having right now, Is there no way to remove and put a wheel back with out damaging the sensors? For me the problem started appearing only the second day.. one day it went fine with no alerts...

Thanks a lot for the warm welcome to the forum. Much appreciated.

Thanks,
Anoop Menon
Old 13th June 2013, 09:01   #187
BHPian

@Fordfreak and anoopmenon,
Just examples of what you need
http://www.ebay.in/itm/VW-Volkswagen...-/251173977906

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...ht_4187wt_1037

Check buyer details before purchasing our second alternative is get the part number for the same and get it from service Centre spares store
'AL' is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2013, 11:23   #188
BHPian

Quote:
Can you please explain what exactly happened? The question I am having right now, Is there no way to remove and put a wheel back with out damaging the sensors? For me the problem started appearing only the second day.. one day it went fine with no alerts...

Thanks a lot for the warm welcome to the forum. Much appreciated.

Thanks,
Anoop Menon
Well, I was driving home one evening and suddenly got a load of error messages on the MID for no obvious reason. The car was driving fine, but a number of systems weren't working. I have no idea what caused the problem on my car.

Changing the wheel correctly should not damage the part. Incorrect handling of any job on a car can cause various degrees of damage. As you mentioned that changing a wheel brought about the issue in your car, I haven't had a puncture in the last 10 months. So that can be ruled out. I've posted a few pictures of the warning lights that popped up on my dash in my ownership thread. You can have a look at them on the link below and see if these were the same ones you got.

Link: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...omes-home.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'AL' View Post
@Fordfreak and anoopmenon,
Just examples of what you need
http://www.ebay.in/itm/VW-Volkswagen...-/251173977906

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...ht_4187wt_1037

Check buyer details before purchasing our second alternative is get the part number for the same and get it from service Centre spares store
Thanks Al! I'll get the part number as you suggested and take it to the VW chaps and see if they can get me the same. I'm kind of wary of making online purchases, so if it gets sorted at the dealer; that would be best.

Cheers!
Old 13th June 2013, 15:26   #189

Hi fordfreak,

Thanks for the details. I looked at the other post and exactly the same errors I got in my car as well. Even the reverse park sensors and camera failed to function that day for me.

Since it was repaired under warranty I didn't get a detailed bill. When you get time, can you please check the bill and let me know what exact repairs they mentioned and which wheel (Left or Right) sensor had the problem, I am assuming speed sensors are only for the front wheels (Correct me if I am wrong). I had the problem with front left wheel.

Keep me posted regarding the research on the Ipod cable.
Old 13th June 2013, 16:36   #190
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
A big lesson I learned was never to get the car repaired by anyone not authorised. My front tyre got punctured, it basically got cut on the side, I am expecting while steering it got cut because of a sharp stone or even nail. I had the local mobile puncture repair guy to come fix at my house. He removed the tyre and while putting back damaged a speed sensor which created a major hurdle the next day. Dashboard showed lit up like christmas lights, major functions like ABS, stability control, park brakes, reverse parking cameras, tyre pressure gauge all turned faulty. This was fixed next day by changing the speed sensor. Pirelli tyres are very expensive and currently I have the spare tyre for front. Dealer insists to change both front tyres and I am thinking of just having one new tyre for the spare wheel. I am thinking even about michelin or bridgestone for spare wheel instead of pirelli - can anyone help me with this decision?
The ESP/ ABS system works on measuring speed differentials. When things do not add up with a defective sensor. The lights wil flash.

Always keep the same make/type of tyre on same axle. If there is not much significant wear i.e if you have only done 5-7000 km, I would not both with changing tyres.
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2013, 20:26   #191
BHPian

I was tracking the discussion on Ross tech etc.
Wanted to check how to disable DRLs.

I have basic MFD, Discovered today that there is a configuration menu where I can configure several settings like DRL on off, unit to display fuel economy and many more.
Very happy to get these features on basic display!
Old 22nd August 2013, 20:34   #192
BHPian

Any recommended car covers for a 2012 Passat. Thanks
Old 22nd August 2013, 21:23   #193
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wysiwyg25 View Post
Any recommended car covers for a 2012 Passat. Thanks
All the car covers in the market available are crap. Sorry, but there is no other word for it. I park my car in the open for long periods in bombay, and after 4 years of experimentation, I have concluded this.

If you can source one, the car covers from car cover world, USA are really good (expecially their higher range ones).

If, however, you want the local ones, polco has a cover which is made of parachute-like material, which is decent (won't be of much help in the rains). The other one is dupont tyvek (again, useless in rains).

Thanks,
Simple_car
Old 23rd August 2013, 02:13   #194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple_car View Post
All the car covers in the market available are crap. Sorry, but there is no other word for it. I park my car in the open for long periods in bombay, and after 4 years of experimentation, I have concluded this.

If you can source one, the car covers from car cover world, USA are really good (expecially their higher range ones).

If, however, you want the local ones, polco has a cover which is made of parachute-like material, which is decent (won't be of much help in the rains). The other one is dupont tyvek (again, useless in rains).

Thanks,
Simple_car
Dont really need rain protection since car is parked under a roof. So I am guessing either one of those local covers would do.

Last edited by wysiwyg25 : 23rd August 2013 at 02:29.
Old 23rd August 2013, 02:23   #195
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wysiwyg25 View Post
Dont really need rain protection since car is parked under a roof. So I am guessing wither one of those local covers would do.
Then either ones I mentioned above will suffice. Just check the inner lining of the cover(i.e. the side which will be in contact with your car's body). It should be soft. IIRC, the dupont was better in this aspect when I last saw it. However, its been like a year.

Another thing to bear in mind is: clean the cover at periodic intervals (preferably with a mild jet) to clean out the dust which will eventually accumulate. Make sure it is completely and 100% dry before putting it on the car.
If you don't clean the cover, the local ones especially, some dust does eventually percolate inside. When you will take out the cover, some swirls will be inevitable.

Personally, I dissuade people from using car covers if they are parking in the open unless they are out for a very long time. However, in your case, at the max, it'll provide you with some dust protection at best.

Thanks,
Simple_car

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks