Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2013, 08:14   #196
Team-BHP Support

re: Driven: The 2011 Volkswagen Passat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple_car View Post
Personally, I dissuade people from using car covers if they are parking in the open unless they are out for a very long time. However, in your case, at the max, it'll provide you with some dust protection at best.

Thanks,
Simple_car
I use a cover but I run a Jopatsu brush over and do not use cover if car is dirty. The way to put on cover is to either have two people lift cover on and off or fold cover on to car and fold off. i.e keep folded cover on roof and unfold all over car
Old 23rd August 2013, 14:45   #197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
I use a cover but I run a Jopatsu brush over and do not use cover if car is dirty. The way to put on cover is to either have two people lift cover on and off or fold cover on to car and fold off. i.e keep folded cover on roof and unfold all over car
Sir,

I do follow the instructions of folding given by the manufacturers. They are the same as what you have mentioned.
I myself use a car cover, but only if I am out of town for a long period. If you are using the car daily, these covers are not worth it. See, the thing is that I have a black car and a lot of construction activity going on in my area. Disastrous combination.
Using jopasu does help to some extent, but even then the swirl marks do appear say within a weeks time, even if the car and the cover both are dry and clean. I have been experimenting with these since 4 years. I have become fed up now. Most covers I have bought in India are just not good. I have bought a cover from the car cover world when I was in USA (but it is the cheaper one since they did not have the one I wanted in stock with them and also I was leaving US the very same day). These are much better.
Even the detailers (have used the services of 3 such people) whom I interact with discourage me from using the car covers unless going out for long duration. Each one of them said, it is not worth it if you are using the car every day.

Hence, I personally do not recommend the use of the covers if one is going to use the car regularly. If, you are going out of town for long durations, and if the monsoons are not going to set in during this time, even I use the covers myself.

Thanks,
Simple_car
Old 26th August 2013, 12:23   #198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'AL' View Post
@Fordfreak and anoopmenon,
Just examples of what you need
http://www.ebay.in/itm/VW-Volkswagen...-/251173977906

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...ht_4187wt_1037

Check buyer details before purchasing our second alternative is get the part number for the same and get it from service Centre spares store
Apologies for such a late response; work has been keeping me very busy lately.

I finally got around to asking the dealer for the I-Pod cable for my Passat and specifically requested them for the one which they supply with the Jetta. Unfortunately, the 2 people I spoke to over the phone didn't have the proper knowledge/information.

I sent my car to the dealer last week, to have the key-fob battery replaced since the MID was shooting up 'Key Battery Low' warnings. Since I didn't have the time to go personally, I sent a print-out containing the details of the cable I wanted along with my driver and had also spoken to the service-centre people regarding the same.

My driver called me upon reaching the service-centre and handed the phone over to the advisor/supervisor. He informed me that this part isn't available in stock currently and will take about 7-10 days to procure. I explained the entire situation to him and asked if him if this solution would work. Obviously I got the same reply, "Not sure Saar" . When I asked about the price, he told me it would cost me about Rs. 4,800!! I thanked him and told him not to order it.

Currently I have just put all my 800-ish songs on a pen-drive and plugged it into the car. This works fine, but is a major pain if I need to scroll down from the top of the list to a song somewhere in the middle/bottom. (From all the 800 songs, I made a separate playlist with my favourite 50 and put that on as a new folder. This is much more convenient in everyday use). I wish VW had provided a better scrolling mechanism though.

Cheers!
fordfreak
Old 26th August 2013, 14:23   #199
BHPian

2012 Passat Trendline - Some Pics

Got delivery of a pre-owned 2012 Passat Trendline in early August. Have been overseas so haven't driven it much but from whatever little I have, its a dream to drive. Strong as a mule and stable as a plateau.

Looking to get on the Mum-Pune expressway this weekend to toss it around a bit. In the meantime here are some pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Driven: The 2011 Volkswagen Passat-9595759035_2604100ac0_c.jpg  

Driven: The 2011 Volkswagen Passat-9595758169_82e9684ecd_c.jpg  

Driven: The 2011 Volkswagen Passat-9598546796_cb12e7f324_c.jpg  

Driven: The 2011 Volkswagen Passat-9598545888_6262511206_c.jpg  

Driven: The 2011 Volkswagen Passat-9595753741_7d517f3a43_c.jpg  

Driven: The 2011 Volkswagen Passat-9595749161_95aec3c892_c.jpg  

Driven: The 2011 Volkswagen Passat-9595747507_3cc5e26dcc_c.jpg  

Driven: The 2011 Volkswagen Passat-9598537022_fdb3700826_c.jpg  

wysiwyg25 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th August 2013, 14:45   #200
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by wysiwyg25 View Post

Got delivery of a pre-owned 2012 Passat Trendline in early August. Have been overseas so haven't driven it much but from whatever little I have, its a dream to drive. Strong as a mule and stable as a plateau.

Looking to get on the Mum-Pune expressway this weekend to toss it around a bit. In the meantime here are some pics.
My favourite Passat model. 177PS with a 6 speed manual box and extremely rare to find.

Congrats on the car.
Old 20th September 2013, 07:28   #201
BHPian

Hello

When playing songs over Bluetooth are you able to change tracks using steering controls and see track information like artist name, song name?

I idea to have playlists is nice when you have a big music collection on a pen drive. I need to make some time one of these days to sort out my 500gb HDD connected to the stereo.

Also, a new update came out for the RCD 510 a few months back, I informed my workshop about it and they have been in dialogue ever since with VW Pune office to understand what is a system update. ��

Best
Kunal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple_car View Post
Sir,

I do follow the instructions of folding given by the manufacturers. They are the same as what you have mentioned.
I myself use a car cover, but only if I am out of town for a long period. If you are using the car daily, these covers are not worth it. See, the thing is that I have a black car and a lot of construction activity going on in my area. Disastrous combination.
Using jopasu does help to some extent, but even then the swirl marks do appear say within a weeks time, even if the car and the cover both are dry and clean. I have been experimenting with these since 4 years. I have become fed up now. Most covers I have bought in India are just not good. I have bought a cover from the car cover world when I was in USA (but it is the cheaper one since they did not have the one I wanted in stock with them and also I was leaving US the very same day). These are much better.
Even the detailers (have used the services of 3 such people) whom I interact with discourage me from using the car covers unless going out for long duration. Each one of them said, it is not worth it if you are using the car every day.

Hence, I personally do not recommend the use of the covers if one is going to use the car regularly. If, you are going out of town for long durations, and if the monsoons are not going to set in during this time, even I use the covers myself.

Thanks,
Simple_car
Old 6th October 2013, 11:39   #202
BHPian

Quote:

Looks great! Congratulations!

I have got 2013 comfortline and does not have RCD510, it comes with RCD310.
Driven 14000KM, 2 issues I had so far
1) Car ran out of coolant at 10K, this is surprising considering light AC usage.
2) One of the Pirelli tires got a bulge.

Last edited by moralfibre : 6th October 2013 at 13:26. Reason: Removing high speed reference. Please avoid.
Old 8th October 2013, 15:15   #203
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDelight View Post
Driven 14000KM, 2 issues I had so far
1) Car ran out of coolant at 10K, this is surprising considering light AC usage.
2) One of the Pirelli tires got a bulge.
Hey DieselDelight! Did the dealer state any particular reason for the coolant running out so early? Or was there a possibility they hadn't topped up the level since the beginning? Hope you have changed the defective tyre! It isn't safe to drive around with that.

All my 4 tyres seem to be leaking air and the TPMS doesn't seem to be detecting this despite me having reset it after every top-up. I have had to refill my tyres atleast once every 12-15 days!

On another note, does anyone know if VW offers/used to offer Extended Warranty on the Passat & Jetta? Last week, someone from my dealer called me asking me to sign up for the Extended Warranty and Road-Side-Assistance, (since my car's warranty finishes in December). A couple of days back, I got another call from someone else at the dealer telling me there was some mistake and that they do not offer Extended Warranty on the Passat!

Cheers!
Old 8th October 2013, 20:49   #204
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfreak View Post
On another note, does anyone know if VW offers/used to offer Extended Warranty on the Passat & Jetta? Last week, someone from my dealer called me asking me to sign up for the Extended Warranty and Road-Side-Assistance, (since my car's warranty finishes in December). A couple of days back, I got another call from someone else at the dealer telling me there was some mistake and that they do not offer Extended Warranty on the Passat!

Cheers!
Yep, that's right. There is no extended warranty on the Passat now. About a year ago when I bought my Jetta, they did have a 3rd year extended warranty on the Passat. They never had extended warranty on the Jetta. I have been following up and the sales guy says no EW on the Jetta. There is also no EW on the polo GT Tdi/Tsi either. Looks like VW doesn't have confidence in their products.
Old 8th October 2013, 20:58   #205
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivasuma View Post
Looks like VW doesn't have confidence in their products.
+1. When most other car makers are offering almost 4 years of warranty including the extended one, its surprising that VW is acting shy of offering the same for even 3 years. And to me it really shows that they don't expect the Vehicle to run trouble free more than 2 years at the maximum.
Old 8th October 2013, 21:35   #206
BHPian

The coolent level was low at delivery, I did not pay attention to that.
I got the tire exchanged with the spare tire. Pirelli has softer sidewall compared to Michelin.

They are not selling extended warranty for sure. The only part I replaced under warranty on my jetta last time was a. 'horn'

I did not check on warranty on tires, I don't think they would. The tire got hit in a pathhole on highway.
Another question I has was whether anybody has fitted aftermarket HID lamps on Jetta or Passat?

Last edited by Vid6639 : 8th October 2013 at 22:42. Reason: merging posts. Please use edit option if posting within 30mins. Thanks!
Old 9th October 2013, 00:28   #207
BHPian

Got a rear tyre puncture repaired at a tyre shop. On driving off noticed that brake pad, ABS, ESC lights came on. They come on intermittently while driving. Any idea what could have gone wrong post the puncture repair.
Old 9th October 2013, 22:32   #208
BHPian

Quote:
Got a rear tyre puncture repaired at a tyre shop. On driving off noticed that brake pad, ABS, ESC lights came on. They come on intermittently while driving. Any idea what could have gone wrong post the puncture repair.
During tire puncture, something might have got damaged at that wheel. Sensors etc. Diagnostic Scanning at workshop would help.
Old 9th October 2013, 23:42   #209
BHPian

Quote:
During tire puncture, something might have got damaged at that wheel. Sensors etc. Diagnostic Scanning at workshop would help.

Got the diagnostic scanning done. One of the speed sensors is malfunctioning which would need to be replaced. On order would take about 8 days to get delivered. Dealer also uploaded a VAG update.
Old 10th October 2013, 12:05   #210
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivasuma View Post
Yep, that's right. There is no extended warranty on the Passat now. About a year ago when I bought my Jetta, they did have a 3rd year extended warranty on the Passat. They never had extended warranty on the Jetta. I have been following up and the sales guy says no EW on the Jetta. There is also no EW on the polo GT Tdi/Tsi either. Looks like VW doesn't have confidence in their products.
Thanks! So much for having confidence on the 'German Tank-like build quality'. The dealership said that they only offer Extended Warranty on the Polo and the Vento.

Quote:
The coolent level was low at delivery, I did not pay attention to that.
I got the tire exchanged with the spare tire. Pirelli has softer sidewall compared to Michelin.

They are not selling extended warranty for sure. The only part I replaced under warranty on my jetta last time was a. 'horn'

I did not check on warranty on tires, I don't think they would. The tire got hit in a pathhole on highway.
Another question I has was whether anybody has fitted aftermarket HID lamps on Jetta or Passat?
While taking delivery, I asked the SP if I could get my bulbs changed to aftermarket HIDs'; he said that it would void the warranty. No such problems when I got HID bulbs' installed on my Altis and City after taking delivery. The Toyota and Honda dealers said it would not affect the warranty as long as no wires were being cut.

Quote:
Got the diagnostic scanning done. One of the speed sensors is malfunctioning which would need to be replaced. On order would take about 8 days to get delivered. Dealer also uploaded a VAG update.
Had the same problem a few months ago. Dealer fixed the car in about 2 hours and was covered under warranty. What was the VAG update about? Did the dealer share any details about that?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks