Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2011, 08:38   #46
Team-BHP Support

re: Driven: The 2011 Volkswagen Passat

That was an excellent report Ajmat, with some good deal of history thrown in. I particularly enjoyed the comparison notes with the rival / potential rival models.
Thanks for the compilation!

I am actually a big fan of the classic designs of VW. It may be on the borderline of being termed as boring, but I guess the new Passat will age more gracefully than its Skoda cousin Superb. And I find the new VW face much better than the previous gen Passat / Jetta (which was almost doing a Toyota of Europe in the looks department).

Maybe I missed this while reading through – does all the variants come with 6 airbags?
Old 12th April 2011, 08:39   #47
Team-BHP Support

I didn't notice till now but the speedo is not linear. Till 60 each division is 5km/hr after that each small division is 10km/hr. One half of speedo is from 0-100km/hr and other from 100-260km/hr. Interesting how they got that. Resistance of the dial changing after 60.
Old 12th April 2011, 09:37   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
I didn't notice till now but the speedo is not linear. Till 60 each division is 5km/hr after that each small division is 10km/hr. One half of speedo is from 0-100km/hr and other from 100-260km/hr. Interesting how they got that. Resistance of the dial changing after 60.
Just noticed the same myself. Thankfully am not the only one.

Great observation on your part!

Awesome review Ajmat, still just halfway through.
Old 12th April 2011, 18:27   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Lovey review Ajit. We saw a couple of new Passats at the Chakan factory and I am a big fan of the curvy bonnet and all the gizmos they've added into it. The advertising campaign is also attracting eyeballs- my wife asked me excitedly yesterday, "The car parks itself?" which I confirmed and then a short pause from her side followed by "Why can't they give that in ours?" (Vento)

The pricing is absolutely killer- it's a smorgasbord for entry level luxe buyers these days what with Skoda, BMW, VW all offering great value at prices that would have been unthinkable 5 years ago! With the likes of Infiniti making an entry, one salivates at the thought of how it will be 5 years from now (by which time inshallah I am ready to make the move )

And yes- TBHP is setting new standards with each "official" review. The generational snapshot is phenomenal- take a bow.
Old 12th April 2011, 21:19   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

But @ajmat.
Eventhough they are niche players you could have mentioned both the Camry and Teana in comparo list.
Old 13th April 2011, 00:52   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Super review! Although the passat has gotten more exciting, it still doesn't offer value like the superb. Yes it's interiors and features are better but most buyers of the Passat spend most time in the backseat, where the Superb wins hands down.

How does the suspension of the Passat compare to the Superbs; which is pretty stiff. Yet the Superb isn't a good handler, nor very comfy.
Old 13th April 2011, 01:40   #52
BHPian

Nice detailed review Ajmat. Couple of questions?

What is that black grease like thing in the steering,is it some kind of reflection? It seemed like a worn out leather.Jus curious

How useful is regenerative breaking in a non electric car. I thought modern cars with their efficient charge circuits will be able to charge batteries in a decent 30 minute ride. I understand that the start stop system might put a strain on the batteries, but does it demand regen braking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post

Old 13th April 2011, 08:47   #53
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
How does the suspension of the Passat compare to the Superbs; which is pretty stiff. Yet the Superb isn't a good handler, nor very comfy.
It is firm but not rock hard like an Audi on S-line spec. Handles better than a Superd sicne the wheelbase is less

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
But @ajmat.
Eventhough they are niche players you could have mentioned both the Camry and Teana in comparo list.
They are priced out of contention besides, both do not hold a candle in value/ market terms to the Passat, Superb and Accord. if the next get Camry is locally assembled. Expect a tough fight!

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
And yes- TBHP is setting new standards with each "official" review. The generational snapshot is phenomenal- take a bow.
Thanks, the mod who reviewes the next Corolla will be crying when he is forced to do a generational snap shot of the Corolla range (I have lost touch how many!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRaven View Post
What is that black grease like thing in the steering,is it some kind of reflection? It seemed like a worn out leather.Jus curious

How useful is regenerative breaking in a non electric car. ?
Probablly damp sweat (ugh). As for regenarative braking, I have no figures on actual tangible benefits.
Old 13th April 2011, 09:26   #54
BHPian

Holy moly. That was one heck of a review. A very close friend of mine is in the market looking for cars around 20 lakhs. I'm pretty sure this will convince him to buy the Passat.

Lovely review Ajmat! Enjoyed reading every bit! Where is the 7-star option?
Rating 5, because that is the upper-limit.

Cheers!
Cartman.
Old 13th April 2011, 09:33   #55
Senior - BHPian

In Bluemotion system, it cuts off charging during acceleration and reduce the drag on engine. It needs to run accessories purely on battery at these times. The battery should also be comparatively of a higher capacity.

Last edited by srishiva : 13th April 2011 at 09:35.
Old 13th April 2011, 09:33   #56
BHPian

Excellent and a detailed review Ajmat, way to go
Old 13th April 2011, 14:50   #57
BHPian

I would buy this car just for this ad:

Excellent review!
Old 13th April 2011, 19:57   #58
Team-BHP Support

Ajmat, the blue motion start and stop technology seems almost identical to Mahindra's Micro Hybrid available on the Scorpio VLX variants. When in operation does the aircon cut off in the Passat too just like it does in the Scorpio?

manson.
Old 13th April 2011, 22:27   #59
BHPian

An excellent comprehensive and informative review Ajmat. I would go to the length of saying that this is one of the best reviews I have read so far (with due respect to the efforts put in by the other reviewers). The excellent pictures and the historical edge add icing to the cake.

This thread has also put me in perspective since I was seriously considering purchase of an entry level luxury saloon viz A4 or 3er. I definitely have a strong contender to add to my options thanks to this review.
Old 17th April 2011, 18:10   #60
Senior - BHPian

Great review ajmat, fresh flavour with the historical perspective thrown in for good measure :-) Was travelling, and only saw it today.

Good points wrt Park Assist, I mentioned similar on the other thread.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post2302091

BTW, a 1.8TSI should cost 2l lesser, hope VW also launches such a variant!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks