Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2011, 20:44   #301
Senior - BHPian

re: Humbleh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himacal Pradesh)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Log Book of Aug 16, Pooh-Kaza Drive
Awesome log HV, good to see you writing along with the pics , from 8k to 11k feet climb is huge. That Malling Nullah looks quite scary, did all the cars sail over it smoothly?
Old 4th October 2011, 21:05   #302
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
Awesome log HV, good to see you writing along with the pics , from 8k to 11k feet climb is huge. That Malling Nullah looks quite scary, did all the cars sail over it smoothly?
44 kms to climb 3500 feet - roads were not steep anywhere till Nako.
Malling NUllah - we did a ground survey before driving through, there was a nasty fall and rise before and after the water's edge and some sharp boulders in one side, so we had to divert the cars to one side (the cliff edge side). None of the cars needed any support, they all sailed through on their own.

The initial reccee
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-317530_10150298128679473_746784472_7888050_8310133_n.jpg

HVK Scorpio takes the lead
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-302625_10150298128884473_746784472_7888052_66441_n.jpg

The Innova
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_0676.jpg

The Swift
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-293100_10150298130454473_746784472_7888065_787169_n.jpg

....and the Alto
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-316885_10150298129639473_746784472_7888061_5342141_n.jpg

For every serious water crossing, we stopped, checked depth, position of boulders and velocity of water flow and then guided each car through, that ensured that no car got stuck anywhere. In a few water crossings, where we felt that it was difficult for the small cars, we towed them across with the SUVs.
hvkumar is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th October 2011, 21:24   #303
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
44 kms to climb 3500 feet - roads were not steep anywhere till Nako.
Malling NUllah - we did a ground survey before driving through, there was a nasty fall and rise before and after the water's edge and some sharp boulders in one side, so we had to divert the cars to one side (the cliff edge side). None of the cars needed any support, they all sailed through on their own.
Looks like the alto sailed through easy, i guess the initial recce really helped. Just curious about those steps kind of thing made on the cliff side by BRO? Wondering what purpose they serve.
Old 4th October 2011, 21:30   #304
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just curious about those steps kind of thing made on the cliff side by BRO? Wondering what purpose they serve.
Looks like they are meant to regulate the water flow. In many of the water crossings, the BRO has done a great job channelising the water flow and stubbed its ferocity.
Old 4th October 2011, 21:56   #305
Senior - BHPian

wonderful pics Kumar sir

Quote:
For every serious water crossing, we stopped, checked depth, position of boulders and velocity of water flow and then guided each car through, that ensured that no car got stuck anywhere.
Absolute success technique, I did that for every water and rock crossing in zanskar. Just walked through the path, made a mental route to take, even pushed off some of the dangerous stone.

Almost 15 worst crossings, and not a single touch at the bottom, except one at zozila, where one of the Tyre slipped of the boulder a bit due to heavy slush
rkbharat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th October 2011, 10:57   #306
BHPian

Quote:
Looks like the alto sailed through easy, i guess the initial recce really helped.
At Malling Nullah, HVK sir walked through the chilling water up and down (several times) and almost froze his feet!
And this wasn't the only time he did that... You'll see many more instances after this!

All I had to do was listen to his directions and blindly follow!!

Quote:
Something to note for small cars would be - you must travel light!
Passengers should be fairly small so getting in and out can be quick!
I had some trouble getting across the truck just before Malling Nullah. Attempted the climb with my passenger (Dr. RK, who was huge!) and got to a point just next to the truck where I couldn't get traction on the slushy road. This was a tricky situation as I was parallel to the truck and there was very little space for the passenger to get out.

Also, having my passenger walk the stretch up to Malling Nullah and cross it was a difficult proposition as he's 64 on the calendar and was already beginning to have trouble breathing in the thin air. However, reversing from that spot, offloading Dr. RK and then attempting to cross the truck was the only option then.

The crossing itself was scary - being my first water crossing.
You go too far right, you'll end up hitting rocks.
Too far left, and you have a steel rod (projecting from the concrete structure) waiting to scrape your door! Or worse - take a hike down the nullah!

I tried keeping to the path HVK sir suggested and managed to get out with the rod touching only my rear bumper!!
no_enthu_da is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th October 2011, 11:01   #307
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_enthu_da View Post
At Malling Nullah, HVK sir walked through the chilling water up and down (several times) and almost froze his feet!
And this wasn't the only time he did that... You'll see many more instances after this!
That reminds me - after my feet got wet at Malling Nullah, I borrowed your socks, have to return them!!

Quote:
I had some trouble getting across the truck just before Malling Nullah. Attempted the climb with my passenger (Dr. RK, who was huge!) and got to a point just next to the truck where I couldn't get traction on the slushy road. This was a tricky situation as I was parallel to the truck and there was very little space for the passenger to get out.

Also, having my passenger walk the stretch up to Malling Nullah and cross it was a difficult proposition as he's 64 on the calendar and was already beginning to have trouble breathing in the thin air. However, reversing from that spot, offloading Dr. RK and then attempting to cross the truck was the only option then.
Offloading passengers is very important in some places to increase ground clearance and reduce weight, the Alto had some problems in that issue.
hvkumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2011, 13:05   #308
BHPian

AUG 16

Pooh to Tabo Drive

Jeep Captains Photologue

After a good rest at the PWD rest house we got up early morning as per chiefs briefing.

Morning view from our Hotel. In the forground is Pooh town.

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_6394.jpg

NJ doing morning predrive checks.

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_6395.jpg

Hotel Parking Lot. Morning all the vehicles started without much issues/ delays

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_6397.jpg

Beautiful Flowers.

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_6398.jpg

Apples.

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_6399.jpg

More Apples.

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_6400.jpg

SPK's Bolero, AKaush's Innova and Chiefs Scorpio getting ready for an early morning departure.

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_6401.jpg

Last pic of those Apples. LOL!

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_6402.jpg

TS having his morning coffee.

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_6404.jpg

JP & TS having some serious intellectual discussions.

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_6406.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_8007.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_8008.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_8010.jpg

JC has a weakpoint for Apples. More on that later.

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_8011.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_8013.jpg

They say "An Apple a keep the doctor away". How about many or all these Apples a day or for breakfast? We did that.LOL

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_8014.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_8016.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_6407.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_8017.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_8018.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_8020.jpg

TS is not very happy with the overcast weather. But still looking out for any photo options.

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_6412.jpg

Swift and Innova are ready & moved out to gave way for other vehicles to get out of the parking.

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_8021.jpg

Pooh Town.

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_8023.jpg

NJ wanted a photo with the valley & river in the background.

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_8024.jpg

Convoy Forming up. Everyone taking their assigned positions.

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_8029.jpg

Baby Alto.

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_8026.jpg

VB is behind Bolero's wheel .

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_6411.jpg

Convoy Started Rolling

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_8025.jpg

Chief leading convoy and baby alto following.

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_8028.jpg

Last edited by JeepCaptain : 5th October 2011 at 13:33.
JeepCaptain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2011, 14:26   #309
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCaptain View Post
[b]AUG 16

NJ doing morning predrive checks - Most crucial pre-requisites in a long drive. I also do it religiously every day, and often during the day too. Takes 5 minutes to open the hood and check oil, coolant, water levels and wire and hose connections. Visually look for oil leaks and stains. Helps detect impending trouble and keeps your car running without any hassles.

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_6395.jpg

It could be checking the rear leaf springs on bad roads.....
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-313860_10150300120114473_746784472_7903031_1023163090_n.jpg

.....or fixing a simple thing like a broken speedo sensor cable underneath the car...
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-297304_10150300123564473_746784472_7903060_2051373642_n.jpg

....or worrisome as trying to find a fix for a broken suspension component.
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-296212_10150300121029473_746784472_7903039_1732721087_n.jpg

Never bother about dirtying your hands. Better your hands be dirtied now than to live dirty on the road with a breakdown later.
hvkumar is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 5th October 2011, 14:33   #310
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
NJ doing morning predrive checks - Most crucial pre-requisites in a long drive. I also do it religiously every day, and often during the day too. Takes 5 minutes to open the hood and check oil, coolant, water levels and wire and hose connections. Visually look for oil leaks and stains. Helps detect impending trouble and keeps your car running without any hassles.
Thanks for these important tips, in such a long journey its a must for these pre-drive checks can save a lot hassles
motomaverick is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2011, 15:00   #311
BHPian

Quote:
Never bother about dirtying your hands. Better your hands be dirtied now than to live dirty on the road with a breakdown later.
Brilliantly said sir!

HVK, Lalukas, JeepCaptain and the gang! This extremely well written travelouge not only has me hooked..but i have already started dreaming of a similar trip! Well done, hats off to you all.

Cheers
rohitm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2011, 15:35   #312
BHPian

Here are a few pics from the Pooh to Kaza drive from my side.

This was the day which turned out to be the turning point of my trip. At Sumdo check post, due to traffic congestion, I decide to stop about 100 meters ahead and was standing on a cement barrier waiting for the group. As soon as I saw HVK's first car I jumped off the cement barrier and my right leg landed on a round stone. My whole ankle was twisted by 90 degrees with immense pain. Thankfully it was not a fracture. Dr Raman, HVK, VB, Shiyas all came to my help. Dr Raman gave me a pill and helped apply Volini spray and then wrapped crepe bandage to my ankle. Many others helped, I remember BM, CV and no_enthu_da also trying to help.
After that VB took over the wheels of Innova and I was relegated to the second row. After about an hour I did manage to come to the front seat and take a few pics from my Camera. Till now it was mostly my co-passenger Pawan taking pics from the Camera.

On the way while others were enjoying apples from the orchard I was cooling my heels in the car. A lot of them were kind enough to find good ripe and big apples for me and give it to me inside the car. I had about 12 apples given to me during the halt. (Ate almost 9 of them before Kaza).

At Tabo, I took the opportunity to learn some tips from LaluKS for better photography. Here are a few pics from the Pooh to Kaza Journey.

View from Pooh Guest House
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_0565.jpg

All ready for a snap in front of the grand view.
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_0569.jpg

Some view in the morning
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_0570.jpg

Confluence of Spiti and Satluj (am I right HVK?)
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_0572.jpg

Spot the road
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_0575.jpg

Crossing the bridge. LaluKS walking to get some good snaps.
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_0590.jpg

Curious photographers
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_0636.jpg

@ Nako
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_0657.jpg

This lady asked for a lift and we obliged. She later helped us a lot in clearing fallen rocks at Malling Nullah.
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_0658.jpg

All cars, except HVK's waiting at Malling Nullah
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_0665.jpg

Fantastic roads to Kaza
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_0709.jpg

Everyone is enjoying apples!
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_0716.jpg

Last edited by akaush : 5th October 2011 at 15:36.
Old 5th October 2011, 15:45   #313
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akaush View Post
Here are a few pics from the Pooh to Kaza drive from my side.

Confluence of Spiti and Satluj (am I right HVK?)

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_0572.jpg
Yes, that is the sangam of the Sutlej (right) and the Spiti Rivers (left), just before the Sumdo check post. The Sutlej is coming from China/Tibet - border is hardly 20 kms away by road, and even less by the river banks - and the Spiti is coming from near Kunzum la in the Spiti Valley via Kaza & Tabo. Maybe this is also the dividing line between the Kinnaur (along with the Sutlej, west towards Rampur) and the Spiti Valley (towards Kaza).
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2011, 15:52   #314
BHPian

Team,Wonderful Pics and nice convoy travelogue with good narration of each event. Kudos to everyone part of this expedition.
HVK's inputs on packaging for long rides, inspecting the vehicle and roads on long rides are really helpful. you are a real mentor .

I am just curious to know what language does localities in HP speak . is it Hindi overall?
Does knowing to speak Hindi help us manage the overall trip to Himalayas? , I mean about interacting with localities for any help or guidance.
Old 5th October 2011, 15:57   #315
BHPian

Few More Pics

We were the first to reach Tabo Monastry, while HVK waited at the main road to show path to others.
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_0742.jpg

laluKs busy at what he does best
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_0751.jpg

The Valley
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_0790.jpg

Few kids on the road, we shared some chips with them to pose for a pic.
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_0800.jpg

Lonely tree
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_0802.jpg

Dream location for your house?
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_0803.jpg

JP enjoying his time in Spiti
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_0818.jpg

I hate traffic jams !
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_0827.jpg

Am I trespassing?
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_0829.jpg

A small bridge on Spiti river
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_0843.jpg

Everything in one pic. River, trees, houses, temple, hills, snow, clouds and sky!
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_0858.jpg

Thats how Kaza welcomed us and we fell in love with Kaza!
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_0873.jpg

Last edited by akaush : 5th October 2011 at 16:04.
akaush is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks