Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2011, 10:37   #421
Senior - BHPian

Re: HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)

Can anyone tell me what is written on the mountains?
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_1619.jpg
Old 13th October 2011, 10:38   #422
BHPian

Re: HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)

This is one amazing travelogue. I can't imagine the skill and determination needed to carry out such a trip and to also take such amazing photos! Hats off to the IPHE team!

Lalu I just loved the portrait shots .

There is a show on History TV18 called "IRT (Ice Road Truckers) Deadliest Roads" featuring a drive on the same roads that our intrepid IPHE took. Three "highly experienced" and "America's best" truckers decide to drive TATA 1613 trucks from Delhi to the JP Hydro Plant in Kinnaur via Shimla. They have dubbed the road "Freefall Freeway". Given the lack of skill they demonstrated I can only say that they should take driving lessons, along with Capt. Gauri, from our IPHE team and especially HVK sir!
STARCHILD is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th October 2011, 10:38   #423
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Attachment 826182
I suspect it must be Project Himank, the name of the BRO/GREF unit that maintains the border roads in the region.
Old 13th October 2011, 10:44   #424
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Unfortunately, the prayer halls were all locked up and we could hardly see anything inside (it was dark) through the narrow windows.
Ah! Then I have not missed much this time . One day must see the inside, the details look amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STARCHILD View Post
This is one amazing travelogue. I can't imagine the skill and determination needed to carry out such a trip and to also take such amazing photos! Hats off to the IPHE team!

Lalu I just loved the portrait shots .
Thanks STARCHILD.
Those are my first attempts at portraits

Quote:
I suspect it must be Project Himank, the name of the BRO/GREF unit that maintains the border roads in the region.
What language / script is that?
Old 13th October 2011, 10:47   #425
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What language / script is that?
The local script in use is Tibetan, the language of all the Buddhists living in Spiti Valley. The BRO guys love scribbling mountain sides with their logos and project names, I wonder how they got around to doing it, some of the mountains are very steep!
Old 13th October 2011, 11:19   #426
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Attachment 826182
Quote:
The local script in use is Tibetan, the language of all the Buddhists living in Spiti Valley. The BRO guys love scribbling mountain sides with their logos and project names, I wonder how they got around to doing it, some of the mountains are very steep!
No Sir, I can bet my life, that this is "Om Mani Padme Hum" scripted on the mountain! Its a Tibetan Holy Chant!!!

Infact if you see the first two alphabet it does seem like hindi "OM" and the last alphabet also seems like hind "hum"
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_1619.jpg

EDIT: Infact I wanted to have this tattooed on my arm, wouldnt want to have GREF/BRO project name tattooed instead

Last edited by deky : 13th October 2011 at 11:24.
deky is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th October 2011, 11:45   #427
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deky View Post
No Sir, I can bet my life, that this is "Om Mani Padme Hum" scripted on the mountain! Its a Tibetan Holy Chant!!!

Infact if you see the first two alphabet it does seem like hindi "OM" and the last alphabet also seems like hind "hum"

Thanks a Ton, deky. You have set my search in the right direction.
I just found this from the web, which confirms your post.

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-om-mani-padme-humr.jpg

Looks the same here too.

Today seems to be a good day. Learnt some new information thanks to deky and BolBolero

Last edited by laluks : 13th October 2011 at 11:48.
laluks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th October 2011, 15:36   #428
BHPian

Great going team. Laluks's SLR boom is in full swing now. As all good lensmen say, 'best is yet to come' , I am sure, 'Chief's navigator' on this trip is also going to say this!, meaning more bonanza in store .

@BolBolero. Sir, great snaps of old monastry, it looks majestic .

@JeepCaptain. I like (even without meeting you!!) your temperament and mood. You must have been a major 'joyes element' the mood lifter, in the team!! Your Tractor shot reminded me my days at home.....sometime we had to virtually stand on the brake pedal to stop it!!
LongDrive lover is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th October 2011, 16:49   #429
BHPian

I am on Page 23 and the pictures from KSM towards Pin Valley are truly marvelous!!!! Great drive. I love the pic which shows the swift crossing a small water pass, though I dont know how deep or bad it was!!!!

I feel as if we just need to pack our bags and start driving there!!!!

Finally!!! I am here with all now!!!

HVK Sir - a quick & bad question - can Punto do these stretches?

I cant wait for the rest of the story from Kaza how the expedition moved forward.

sad to see so many dropping out though!!!!

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please use the "edit" button if posting within 30 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 15th October 2011 at 10:07.
srikanthpotluri is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th October 2011, 19:51   #430
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikanthpotluri View Post
Finally!!! I am here with all now!!!

HVK Sir - a quick & bad question - can Punto do these stretches?

I cant wait for the rest of the story from Kaza how the expedition moved forward.

sad to see so many dropping out though!!!!
Undoubtedly, YES!
The Punto can definitely do it.
However, please bear in mind that in some places terrain is tough and water crossings can be rough, so be prepared to risk some damage to the underbody, but as long as you are careful and skilled, you should face no problem.

The only hitch is that if the Punto faces any technical problems or needs any spares, they will not be available anywhere in those parts since Fiat has no representation in Ladakh.
Old 13th October 2011, 22:19   #431
Senior - BHPian

As we await some more photos of the Spiti & Pin Valleys from Lalu, let me share with you some more aspects of our trip preparation:

We evolved a
Code of Conduct
...and I am reproducing some of the things from it.

"Ours is a big convoy of cars travelling together. We need to observe a certain code of conduct and driving etiquette.

1. The drive plan has been made taking into account distances, realistic timelines and above all, the need to cover all the places in the plan. Certain amount of dislocation and delay is buffered in, but there cannot be any major changes in plan on a day to day basis

2. Remember that in this route, there are hardly any facilities and this Plan recognizes such constraints and specific overnight halts are planned with specific hotels in mind.

3. We MUST reach target destinations without fail.

4. The plan ensures that we complete the trip on schedule so that everyone can either catch their flights back home or get back to work on planned dates.

5. This is a driving holiday, so you will spend all day in the car.

6. All departures will be early morning, before breakfast, we will not even wait for bed tea.

7. Everyone leaves at the designated time, to avoid any delays or dislocation

8. Why this fuss about leaving on time – we may have to cross congested traffic corridors before rest of the world wakes up, there may be water crossings at certain times of the day, need to avoid high passes late in the day, reach before dark, and so on

9. There will be no mobile connectivity once we get into Kinnaur Valley & beyond.

10. We should ideally drive together, one after the other, within eye contact – each car should keep an eye on the car immediately behind so that if anyone gets left behind we will immediately know. Which means each of us must ensure that the car immediately behind is following you, else you stop and find out what has happened to him.

11. We use signals to communicate with each other – 3 quick flashes of headlight repeatedly to tell the car ahead that you want to stop for some reason

12. In the highways in the night, use some unique light signature – say, switch on fog lamps – so that the car ahead knows that you are still following.

13. There will be frequent stops once we hit the mountain circuits for photography & toilet breaks. Try not to take too much time so that we can all move on together.

14. Considering the size of the convoy, we may attract the attention of cops and others – leave it to the head of the convoy to tackle any such issues unless you are the person stopped first.

15. Keep cash for toll charges ready so that you do not get delayed at toll gates

16. In case you see the car ahead stopping or slowing, be watchful that there is no landslide or other such situation that requires you also to stop or slow down.

17. Keep your ears and eyes open for any impending mechanical problems in your car or problems on the road.

18. Avoid challenging “local” vehicles or people.

19. At check posts, please keep your car documents, personal IDs and permits ready for inspection and recording in the registers kept there.

20. Stay & food facilities will be organized centrally by one person. We will have common food halts.

21. Fuel halts can be planned separately as long as you keep track of those no-fuel pump sectors and also keep your reserve fuel. Do not go down below quarter tank capacity at any time.

22. Pack your belongings such that you do not have to dismantle the whole car to get that one small thing out of the bottom of the pile!

23. Appoint one person in your car to co-ordinate depleting water and food supplies so that they are constantly available. Use fuel stops to catch up with such routines, do not stop specifically for such things.

24. Keep torches and essential tools easily accessible.

25. Constant company of your co-passengers and fellow travelers can cause friction sometimes, hence keep a cool temperament!!

Don’t worry that this sounds too formal or tiresome. Following these etiquette will ensure that we have a smooth and safe drive. Otherwise, the purpose of a collective trip will be lost and there will be indisciplined driving."
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2011, 22:58   #432
Senior - BHPian

The Eight Auspicious Symbols

We always have 8 auspicious symbols on all the entrance gates to the Gompas. Thanks to HVK, I came to know near Tabo.

Before I continue with the rest of the log let us have a look at the signs and what it symbolizes.

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc01185_1.jpg

Last edited by laluks : 13th October 2011 at 23:00.
Old 13th October 2011, 23:04   #433
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Eight Auspicious Symbols

We always have 8 auspicious symbols on all the entrance gates to the Gompas. Thanks to HVK, I came to know near Tabo.

Before I continue with the rest of the log let us have a look at the signs and what it symbolizes.

Attachment 826413

As you can see from Lalu's earlier photo, the 8 symbols are there everywhere - on welcome arches, thangkas and prayer flags.

Old 13th October 2011, 23:24   #434
Senior - BHPian

Day 05
16th August 2011
Pooh - Kaaza

We moved on from Tabo by 14:45hrs
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_1692.jpg

The scenery en route
Name:  DSC_1686.jpg
Views: 2761
Size:  185.0 KB

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_1694.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_1697.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_1698.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_1699.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_1721.jpg

The roads ahead
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_1719.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_1720.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_1722.jpg

continued...
Old 13th October 2011, 23:32   #435
Senior - BHPian

Day 05
16th August 2011
Pooh - Kaaza

By 15:15hrs we stopped for regrouping here
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_1729edit.jpg

HVK Scorpio, AP Swift and Baby Alto (hiding)

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_1727.jpg

BM doing some stunts while VB looks on
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_1755.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_1759.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_1763.jpg

The views of the mountains around there
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_1745.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_1752.jpg

By 15:45hrs we regrouped and moved on
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_1773.jpg

continued...
laluks is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks