Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2011, 10:31   #331
Senior - BHPian

re: Humbleh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himacal Pradesh)

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_enthu_da View Post
While BolBolero started getting ready to begin his journey, I started getting my first headache of the trip.

I mean - literally.

Despite popping the Diamox pill every day, soon after the Sumdo check post, a headache kicked in with all its might.
Maybe you did not drink enough water.
And definitely because you were always dressed in your Bermudas and taking in all the cold!

Quote:
(Dr. RK was asleep for most part due to his deteriorating health), to look around and click pictures!!
At 64, I do not think he was fit enough and prepared for the rigours of the trip - the 1-meal a day, no-break ever drive!

Landslide Territory!!
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-26.jpg
Yes, this was a scary zone on the Tabo-Kaza road. Steep sliding slope with loose stones going back up at least 200-500 metres, with enough evidence on the road of what happens if the stones start sliding down.

JeepCaptain and TS jubilant on arrival at Kaza
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-41.jpg
This was one happy-go-lucky pair who were always cheerful, active and ever-ready to shoot! Surely lifted everyone's spirits all the time!
hvkumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2011, 10:47   #332
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
And definitely because you were always dressed in your Bermudas and taking in all the cold!
I'm sure it was just the bermudas!! I wouldn't realize this until Leh, and a firing from you for not taking care of myself!!

Quote:
At 64, I do not think he was fit enough and prepared for the rigours of the trip - the 1-meal a day, no-break ever drive!
More than the age - IMHO - it was the fact that Dr. RK has a history of two angioplasties and was fairly overweight.

Age wasn't at all visible with SS - who never allowed anyone else to lift his luggage.
For the other boarders: on the calendar, SS is 81 years old - and completed all but the final leg of the expedition!!

Quote:
This was one happy-go-lucky pair who were always cheerful, active and ever-ready to shoot! Surely lifted everyone's spirits all the time!
can't agree more with you!!
Old 7th October 2011, 10:56   #333
Distinguished - BHPian

no_enthu da, sorry to hear about your AMS problems. I had a mild attack of AMS as well after some misguided rolling around in snow screaming at Khardungla in May (what can I say...most of my life has been spent at 30 degrees plus temp! ) Diamox and lots of warm water at a military aid camp at South Pullu did the trick!

It's absolutely fantastic that you took your little Alto all the way up there: seriously consider changing your name to full_enthu_da!

This is a fascinating blog. Bol_Bolero has added to the fun by his suspense-filled teasers. Collaborative blogs are always fun, and this one has taken it to the next level!
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2011, 11:19   #334
Senior - BHPian

Let me demolish 2 common myths now:

CAN OLD CARS MAKE IT TO LADAKH?

The most common question I am asked is - when are you changing your car?
Why - because it is some 2xx,xxx kms old or whatever!

I hope to answer those questions here.

That is my Matiz in its 2003 drive to Ladakh - It had completed 2,06,138 kms when it left BOmbay for Ladakh, and did 6,104 kms in that drive
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-878761090103_0_alb.jpg

Matiz in its 2004 drive to Ladakh - 2,43,454 kms on the odo, and 6,900 kms during the trip
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-590076359103_0_alb.jpg

The Matiz is still with me, at 2,60,000 kms+ on its odo, despite it almost 13 years old
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc00086.jpg

The Scorpio in its 2009 drive to Ladakh - 2,01,926 kms in the odo at the start of the drive, 7,301 kms during the trip
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-26569_1355845169582_1035037369_1032215_3016553_n.jpg

The Scorpio had completed 2,75,000 kms earlier this year
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-262761_2016079995040_1035037369_2240002_5685502_n.jpg

The Scorpio in its 2011 drive to Ladakh - 2,78,943 kms on the odo when it started for the trip, 8,788 kms during the drive
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-320778_2451184165790_1437590672_2817850_1186312147_n.jpg

I realised yesterday that I have driven 4 times to Ladakh in cars that were over 2 lakh kms old!

Need I say any more?

......the second Myth: CAN SMALL CARS GO TO LADAKH?
I am sure the photos you will see henceforth and also with the advocacy of KSM-vtec and no_enthu_da (or is it "full"-enthu-da?), you will get some convincing answers!!!

Last edited by hvkumar : 7th October 2011 at 11:21.
hvkumar is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 7th October 2011, 11:24   #335
BHPian

I am so waiting for this part of the journey to start!!!

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please do not quote posts which contain full length images, video's etc. as it affects our small screen and mobile users.

Last edited by n_aditya : 7th October 2011 at 17:15.
Old 7th October 2011, 13:53   #336
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
It's absolutely fantastic that you took your little Alto all the way up there: seriously consider changing your name to full_enthu_da!
I second that motion! Amazing enthu, for someone with quite an unenthusiastic handle!

Quote:
Maybe full_enthu was wearing the bermudas just to show that he was amongst the youngest of the group! And he did not have enough water to avoid too many Bio breaks!

Quote:
More than the age - IMHO - it was the fact that Dr. RK has a history of two angioplasties and was fairly overweight.
Age wasn't at all visible with SS - who never allowed anyone else to lift his luggage.
For the other boarders: on the calendar, SS is 81 years old - and completed all but the final leg of the expedition!!
Would like to know more details on all the problems that Dr. RK faced. Considering that he is a Dr., would have expected him to be better prepared for the rigours of the trip?
Was simply amazed by SS the senior most member of the group! I'm sure he would have completed the final leg of the expedition with ease. But more on that later!
IMHO it is mental conditioning which plays an equally important part as much as the physical condition!

Quote:
I am so waiting for this part of the journey to start!!!
Aren't we all!

Guys besides the problems faced by no_enthu_da (oops: full_enthu_da) and Dr.RK, did any of the other team members have any problems as such? It was quite a motley group of people ranging from 24yrs to 81 yrs in age, if I'm not mistaken!
Old 7th October 2011, 14:45   #337
BHPian

@HVK sir,

If I am not mistaken, this photo is taken somewhere on the road back from Chandratal.

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-320778_2451184165790_1437590672_2817850_1186312147_n.jpg

I fondly remember this road from last year's trip!
Old 7th October 2011, 15:13   #338
Senior - BHPian

Nice pics, i loved the one from full_enthu_da on his Alto, love the cars when they are dirty
motomaverick is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2011, 15:47   #339
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BolBolero View Post
@HVK sir,

If I am not mistaken, this photo is taken somewhere on the road back from Chandratal.
Yes, that is Chandra Tal road, but that story is some days away......
Old 7th October 2011, 20:40   #340
Senior - BHPian

Mumbai Roadsters 16th Aug 2011

Mumbai Roadsters 16th Aug 2011 - Pictures for the Tabo to Dhankar Gompa section

View from our hotel in Tabo

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_1098.jpg
Rainbow in Tabo
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_1102.jpg
Yogen showing the way to Heaven....
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_1111.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_1120.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_1124.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_1132.jpg
View of the Dhankar Gompa from a distance...
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_1134.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_1136.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_1142.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_1150.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_1153.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_1154.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_1157.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_1159.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_1165.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_1166.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_1170.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_1172.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_1175.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_1180.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_1185.jpg
The road we took on the way out...narrowwww
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_1190.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_1199.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_1201.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_1204.jpg

Really Narrowwwww
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_1220.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_1223.jpg

The monk sold hi Ferrari and bought a Swift for a driving holidays in the Himalayas....

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_1224.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_1235.jpg
KSM-Vtec is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2011, 21:00   #341
Senior - BHPian

Mumbai Roadsters 16th Aug 2011 - Dhankar Gompa to Pin Valley

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_1242.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_1245.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_1261.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_1267.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_1270.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_1274.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_1279.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_1283.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_1286.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_1291.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_1307.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_1311.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_1313.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_1315.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_1318.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_1320.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_1324.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_1325.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_1327.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_1329.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_1333.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_1336.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_1337.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_1342.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_1343.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_1345.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_1346.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_1348.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_1349.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_1356.jpg

This was at the last point we could go till in Pin Valley...
Old 7th October 2011, 21:18   #342
Senior - BHPian

Mumbai Roadsters 16th Aug 2011 - Pin Valley to Kaza

This our first pic with all 4 in the frame...

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_1358.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_1361.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img2011081600632.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img2011081600637.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_1364.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_1366.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_1369.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_1372.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_1377.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_1379.jpg
Old 7th October 2011, 21:24   #343
Senior - BHPian

Mumbai Roadsters 16th Aug 2011 - A few Vids from the Tabo-Kaza Section

Old 8th October 2011, 12:30   #344
Senior - BHPian

Excellent coverage. Just suggestion, hurry up guys, give one day for day travel. It is almost many days over & going very slow pace.
Old 8th October 2011, 13:32   #345
Senior - BHPian

Excellent thread. Kudos to you all for completeing this journey. Logistics can be a big headache with the number of participants and also when you have to depend on machines to get you from A to B and that to in such inhospitable terrain.

But it seems that with the members the machines also behaved.

Waiting for the rest!!!

regards

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks