Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2011, 17:51   #1111
BHPian

Re: HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post
Shibu Chetta,
Awesome snaps!! What Camera are you using? I know sorting is the biggest pain. I have about 20 GB of photos from my recent Vietnam trip, deciding which to optimize and load is the challenge, before trip, I make different folders date wise and at the end of the day transfer the photos form the SD card, becomes easy later on.

Waiting for your next upload, they are alive, clear and well captured.
--Ramky
Dear Ramky, Thanks a ton! I was using a loaner camera from my mother. A Canon IXUS 860IS point and shoot camera. Because I dropped my Canon camera in the desert during one of the OTR's here and was sand damaged. :( I am yet to buy a replacement. Good to know you like the pics. Will post more soon. And waiting for your Vietnam trip pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deky View Post
As per the protocol, especially in field areas (fwd areas) you are not supposed to be breaking the convoy. Breaking here means coming in the middle. It can be considered as an act of aggression. In the books it doesnt matter if the convoy is small or big.
They usually are co-operative and will let you pass.
Regards
Dear Deky, Thanks a lot for all the information about Army convoys. It was really useful.
Cheers.
JC
Old 28th November 2011, 17:53   #1112
BHPian

Re: HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)

Day 14
25th August 2011
Kargil to Leh

Video from Lamayaru Gompa - You can see and hear the Monks praying

JeepCaptain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2011, 18:01   #1113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCaptain View Post
Dear Ramky, Thanks a ton! I was using a loaner camera from my mother. A Canon IXUS 860IS point and shoot camera. Because I dropped my Canon camera in the desert during one of the OTR's here and was sand damaged. :( I am yet to buy a replacement. Good to know you like the pics. Will post more soon. And waiting for your Vietnam trip pics.

Dear Deky, Thanks a lot for all the information about Army convoys. It was really useful.
Cheers.
JC
Hai Shibu,

Wow!! Just a point and shoot camera, technology is wonderful!!

My travelogue with photos are running here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...-vambodia.html

@ Dekyji: Thanks for the clarifications. Is this protocol active even in peace times or the Army enforces with muscle. Can you find out through your contacts if this is the law? Just for future use, if this is the law I would give them a wide berth.

--Ramky
======
Old 28th November 2011, 18:55   #1114
BHPian

Day 14
25th August 2011
Kargil to Leh

More Videos from Lamayaru Gompa - You can see and hear the Monks praying

Here is the last part of the Video from inside the Gompa.

Old 28th November 2011, 19:06   #1115
Senior - BHPian

Wow! Shibu, great videos and pictures as always.
I was wondering where did you hide for some days

Ramky Ji - Long Time No See, then realized that you were busy with your travel. Wonderful log there

Last edited by laluks : 28th November 2011 at 19:08.
laluks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2011, 19:09   #1116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post
@ Dekyji: Thanks for the clarifications. Is this protocol active even in peace times or the Army enforces with muscle. Can you find out through your contacts if this is the law? Just for future use, if this is the law I would give them a wide berth.

--Ramky
======
There is no law that states that a civilian vehicle is not allowed to over take a convoy on a highway. And if its a big convoy, you really cant overtake it at one go, at some time or the other you will have to break the convoy. Overtaking cautiously is common sense and its pointed out very well by HVK earlier

As per friends in the Army, there are proper drills and SOP's for a convoy movement. Say a convoy is moving from place A to place B with all equipment, troops, arms, ammunition, admin material, medical supplies grocery, recover vehicle etc etc (here I am talking about army trucks and not CHT's) some instruction are as follows

1. Prior to the movement route map is discussed
2. TCP's en route are informed, and they will check the number of people and the number of vehicles
3. Stop points are told in advance for the convoy to collect and move again.
4. Meal points are also told in advance
5. Also a very important point told is to respect other vehicles on road, so basically if you respect them, read dont be aggressive they will let you pass

Now the thing is that the above scenario is in a normal convoy in peace time. But the level of security will obviously increase with the level of threat or during war time (say Kargil War)

For eg a small heavily guarded convoy moving close to each other in an insurgency prone area will not be an ideal convoy to break. In this scenario let the rear guard let you pass and then just zoom past all the vehicles at one go if you can.

BTW I know for a fact that the drivers of these smaller convoy's specially those who drive the COAS or GOC in C's in peace area's or fwd areas are taught to push the vehicle of road in case of aggression from the other vehicle. They will usually have a CMP jeep in front and back with lots of rifle holding men

So the best is not to cross them, just follow them and let them make way for you. As mentioned earlier they are most probably going only short distances. These days they all have their own aircrafts and helicopters

Last edited by deky : 28th November 2011 at 19:12.
deky is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th November 2011, 19:12   #1117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Wow! Shibu, great videos and pictures as always.
I was wondering where did you hide for some days

Ramky Ji - Long Time No See, then realized that you were busy with your travel. Wonderful log there
Lalu sir, Thanks a bunch. But my pics are nothing compared to your professional clicks. But I am learning. Hope tohave a good DSLR soon and I will come to you to learn.

Well, I was travelling to Turkey, To Istanbul and Antalya Few days of official business and few days of personal trip. That's why I was missing.
Old 28th November 2011, 19:27   #1118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCaptain View Post
Well, I was travelling to Turkey, To Istanbul and Antalya Few days of official business and few days of personal trip. That's why I was missing.
You are a great globe trotter
Those are very beautiful places, and I've missed an opportunity while I was living in Europe to visit these places.

Last edited by laluks : 28th November 2011 at 19:28.
laluks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2011, 21:25   #1119
BHPian

Day 14
25th August 2011
Kargil to Leh

We had Lunch from Lamayaru and we started to Leh. HVK said he is going early to get his Scorpio fixed in Leh and rest of us, two Bolero's and Baby Alto started little late.

Soon after we left Lamayaru, we were stopped by BRO due to road construction and blasting. We had to wait for about 20 mins there.
We found some friendly Truck drivers and also few others from a Auto Magazine and had a nice time together and lot more pics.

Now Let the pics talk.

Traffic Stopped

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh_nbn_121.jpg

Friendly Truck drivers.

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh_nbn_119.jpg

JP Looking for some nice photo options

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh207.jpg

I wanted to TD the fully laden Truck

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh208.jpg

Something was wrong-Then I realised my dress wasnt matching a driver. Immediately changed and hope I look like a Truck Driver now ? A real Truck driver.

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh213.jpg

My bro NJ with Paaji's

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh215.jpg

NJ posing

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh219.jpg

Brothers on a borrowed bike

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh223.jpg

Wanted to TD that bike too.. But didnt had time. SoJust posing.

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh221.jpg

Last edited by JeepCaptain : 28th November 2011 at 21:31.
JeepCaptain is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2011, 21:41   #1120
Senior - BHPian

I am at page 56 and peeped into the last post. Hi Jeep captain. You got to test drive lot of vehicles, truck, tractor, bike etc during this expedition but probably missed the opportunity to test ride the three wheeled cycle.

Last edited by rajeev k : 28th November 2011 at 21:47.
Old 29th November 2011, 04:30   #1121
BHPian

Day 14
25th August 2011
Kargil to Leh

After about half an hour halting there,the road was opened and we poceeded to Leh.

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh225.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh226.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh230.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh232.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh234.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh235.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh236.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh238.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh240.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh241.jpg
Old 29th November 2011, 04:37   #1122
BHPian

Day 14
25th August 2011
Kargil to Leh

Jeep Captains photologue continues.

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh242.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh243.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh245.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh247.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh250.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh251.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh253.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh254.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh256.jpg
Old 29th November 2011, 04:44   #1123
BHPian

Day 14
25th August 2011
Kargil to Leh

Near Nimmu we were again stopped by BRO due to road maintenance. Video of that below.

Old 29th November 2011, 09:20   #1124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
JeepCaptain;2592751]Day 14
25th August 2011
Kargil to Leh
This is the point at Khaltse where the road bifurcates, the left side going back to Kargil via Batalik. This is also the check post where every vehicle has to register its details.
Attached Thumbnails
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh241.jpg  

Last edited by hvkumar : 29th November 2011 at 09:26.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2011, 11:55   #1125
BHPian

Day 14
25th August 2011
Kargil to Leh

Now some pics from NJ's camera.
Morning checks on Bolero's and HVK Scorpio before we start from Kargil.

Discovery Bolero already on the ramp for Inspection and HVK is just putting his Scorpio on the ramp.
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh_nbn_098.jpg

JC checking HVK's Scorpio.
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh_nbn_100.jpg

JC doing thorough checking for any damages after yesterdays offroading and recovery.
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh_nbn_102.jpg

While JC & HVK are still checking the vehicles, rest of the team are loading lugguage and preparing for departure.
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh_nbn_106.jpg

And KSM_Vtec and TS are are just relaxing
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh_nbn_108.jpg

Thats TS, look exhausted, but in full spirits as always.

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh_nbn_110.jpg

BabyAlto is this where you fall yesterday??. :P
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh_nbn_112.jpg

Baby_alto (NED) standing next to the inspection pit where he accidentally fall yesterday night while getting out of the vehicle.
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh_nbn_114.jpg

Thats JP
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh_nbn_116.jpg

JP reloading all the bags.
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh_nbn_118.jpg

Last edited by JeepCaptain : 29th November 2011 at 12:15.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks