Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2011, 22:59   #1246
Senior - BHPian

Re: HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)

Day 15
26th August 2011
Leh

By 16:30 hours we moved on from Hemis towards Stok Palace.

The roads ahead. This road is parallel to the Leh Manali highway and runs on the other bank of Indus.
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_9357.jpg

A water crossing
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_9366.jpg

Reminded me of the avenues in Europe
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_9370.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_9371.jpg

View of Stakna from far away
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_9374.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_9375edit.jpg

Another angle from some more distance
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_9379.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_9380.jpg

HVK Scorpio and Stakna behind
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_9383.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_9384.jpg

continued...
laluks is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th December 2011, 23:13   #1247
Senior - BHPian

Re: HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)

Day 15
26th August 2011
Leh

Thiksey Gompa is visible from this route too
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_9391.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_9392edit.jpg

Matho Gompa to the left of the road - Light was tricky, so clicked what I got
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_9401edit.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_9404edit.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_9405.jpg

What is this modern structure?
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_9413.jpg

Stok Palace
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_9410edit.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_9439.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_9432edit.jpg

Behind Stok Palace
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_9417edit.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_9424.jpg

HVK Scorpio at Stok Palace
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_9420.jpg

We are back in Leh by 18:15 hours
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_9452.jpg

continued...
laluks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2011, 23:24   #1248
Senior - BHPian

Day 15
26th August 2011
Leh

Our last visit for the day was Spituk Gompa. We reached there by 18:30 hours

Spituk Gompa
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_9458.jpg

About Spituk Gompa
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_9497.jpg

The door was closed
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_9498.jpg

Precious Human Life
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_9485.jpg

Prayer wheel at Spituk
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_9531.jpg

Sun started to set giving wonderful hues
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_9526edit.jpg

From Spituk you can see Leh Airport
Name:  DSC_9530.jpg
Views: 1213
Size:  249.3 KB

continued...
laluks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2011, 23:28   #1249
Senior - BHPian

Day 15
26th August 2011
Leh

Some pictures of Leh Airport and its runway

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_9488edit.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_9501.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_9504edit.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_9534edit.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_9548.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_9549.jpg

continued...
Old 7th December 2011, 23:35   #1250
Senior - BHPian

Day 15
26th August 2011
Leh

We reached Leh town back by 19:00 hours.

The tourist places of Leh and its orientation
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_9552.jpg

One day I'll get this car
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_9556.jpg

A prayer wheel at Leh
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_9557.jpg

Zorawar Fort ??
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_9560.jpg

We reached the Guest house back by 20:00 hours, hogged on to some hot dinner and crashed for the day.

Tomorrow we drive to Khardung La and to Turtuk.

Dreams filled my sleep and I would have been definitely smiling. What a day, and a promise well kept by HVK. Thank you HVK for the Gompa Loop in Leh.
laluks is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th December 2011, 09:03   #1251
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Day 15
26th August 2011
Leh
the Gompa Loop in Leh.
Yes, it is something many people do not take seriously, but the Gompa Loop is one of the best circuits that you can do out of Leh.

We were disappointed to miss out Leh Palace & Santhi Gompa (in the city itself) and particularly the Likir Gompa, which is the farthest of them.

For a full day circuit (ours was half a day), I would suggest the following drive plan:
Leh-Shey-Thikshey-Stakna-Chemrey-Hemis-Matho-Stok-Spituk-Likir-Leh Palace-Santhi Stupa-Leh
Gompa tours need not be for only those with a religious inclination, but all of them are located in spectacular locations, with lots of landscape views and the gorgeous interiors with thangkas and other Buddhist paraphernalia. The only sad thing is that all of them have gone "commercial" and are selling entry tickets. They also open small "museums" and sell tickets for that too, there are no signages and you get to know about entry fee only after you enter and finish seeing them inside. Nevertheless, let that not diminish the experience! Each of the Gompas has so many treasures and for someone who wants to spent more time exploring them, there can be no time limits. Try to be in any of the Gompas during prayer time (2-3 times a day) - it is a great experience and very few will not be swayed by the piousness and grandness of it all.
hvkumar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th December 2011, 10:17   #1252
Team-BHP Support

This is one of the biggest and best travelogues on team-bhp that I have ever seen! Truly spectacular photographs, and brilliant writing by laluks and team! Looks like a huge team-bhp meet combined with a ladakh drive by members all over the country for so many days of fun. This thread deserves to be in the hall of fame category of Team-BHP threads, if ever there was one.

Eagerly waiting for more photographs and write-ups!
KarthikK is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th December 2011, 10:36   #1253
BHPian

Leh/Khardung La with HVK+JC team. Don't know when but i will.

@ Laluks - Thanks for all the amazing photographs.
Skyline GT-R is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th December 2011, 11:38   #1254
Senior - BHPian

The Leh Local Sightseeing Circuit – Best done on the rest/permits day on a Ladakh Trip

For sure… I have never taken the Gompa loop seriously and now I am repenting looking at the spectacular views form the various Gompas you guys visited that day!

Views you guys enjoyed in the Markha valley seem to be out of the world and reminds me of Pin valley but still is very different from the other valleys we saw!!

Not sure if I will be interested in getting into each of the below mentioned Gompas, but I will do the circuit for the spectacular views the next time I am in Leh!

For now I think we will have to remain satisfied with the outstanding & all encompassing photo log posted by Lalu for the “Leh Gompa Darshan Circuit”

Thanks HVK & Lalu!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Yes, it is something many people do not take seriously, but the Gompa Loop is one of the best circuits that you can do out of Leh.

We were disappointed to miss out Leh Palace & Santhi Gompa (in the city itself) and particularly the Likir Gompa, which is the farthest of them.

For a full day circuit (ours was half a day), I would suggest the following drive plan:
Leh-Shey-Thikshey-Stakna-Chemrey-Hemis-Matho-Stok-Spituk-Likir-Leh Palace-Santhi Stupa-Leh
Gompa tours need not be for only those with a religious inclination, but all of them are located in spectacular locations, with lots of landscape views and the gorgeous interiors with thangkas and other Buddhist paraphernalia. The only sad thing is that all of them have gone "commercial" and are selling entry tickets. They also open small "museums" and sell tickets for that too, there are no signages and you get to know about entry fee only after you enter and finish seeing them inside. Nevertheless, let that not diminish the experience! Each of the Gompas has so many treasures and for someone who wants to spent more time exploring them, there can be no time limits. Try to be in any of the Gompas during prayer time (2-3 times a day) - it is a great experience and very few will not be swayed by the piousness and grandness of it all.
Quote:
Day 15
26th August 2011
Leh

Rest Day in Leh.
Work shop day in Leh.
Spa day for the cars.

And for me I came back from the most fantastic fairy land trip I ever had

HVK had promised me that he'd take me on a Gompa Loop in Leh, much before we had started the trip. So I just waited for him to finish all that was required for the scorpio and team for the next days.

Last edited by KSM-Vtec : 8th December 2011 at 11:40.
KSM-Vtec is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2011, 11:49   #1255
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec View Post
The Leh Local Sightseeing Circuit – Best done on the rest/permits day on a Ladakh Trip

Views you guys enjoyed in the Markha valley seem to be out of the world and reminds me of Pin valley but still is very different from the other valleys we saw!!

The amazing thing is that each Valley is so different although they are in the same region. I am sure we will be able to bring a comparative perspective later on, after we come to the end of the trip, to highlight the contrasts and difference in landscapes, etc with pictorials.
hvkumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2011, 12:59   #1256
Senior - BHPian

This is one helluva log and keeps getting interesting as it carries on. I think the photographs and the interesting and informative discussions that go on along side what makes this log a must visit everyday.

HVK : refer your previous post, I think a comparative discussion at then end between all the valleys will be a good idea!!

Regards
deky is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2011, 17:55   #1257
Senior - BHPian

Please find the orientation of the Gompa Loop

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-gompas.jpg

Much before we set out on the drive I had secured the promise from HVK to do this loop, and thank You HVK for that wonderful drive.
Old 9th December 2011, 10:17   #1258
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Shey Palace... very steep road...we had to return in reverse
Quote:
HVK Scorpio reversing down the steep slope to Shey Palace
Attachment 853239
It was a mistake to take the vehicle up there, with no space to manoeuvre and steep slopes.
@HVK: Looking at Lalu's pic, I would say you were just trying your hand at reversing downhill (skill-building exercise!) - for someone who can turn around the Scorpio on the Chandrataal road, this one didn't look too difficult!
Old 9th December 2011, 12:04   #1259
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
@HVK: Looking at Lalu's pic, I would say you were just trying your hand at reversing downhill (skill-building exercise!) - for someone who can turn around the Scorpio on the Chandrataal road, this one didn't look too difficult!
No, this was difficult because:
- It was very steep
- No place to manouevre next to the Gompa gate
- Very very slippery surface, all loose soil
- Option to slide down (in the Chandra Tal, I would have to reverse up)
- Some clearing to turn - after reversing - just a few metres down

I had to engage first gear and reverse, even the slightest of braking would have meant a skid because the surface was so powdery, and I decided to use the gears to slow me down. It was quite stressful! Thanks again to Lalu to "spot" guide me out of this place.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2011, 18:26   #1260
Senior - BHPian

This is an amazing Travelogue, a very exhaustive report. Hats off for
1) Meticulous planning & Execution of the trip
2) Very Good Team work & camaraderie displayed by each one of you guys during the trip
3) Patience is filling up this thread with all possible details
4) Detailing out the pre-requisites that need to be carried for a trip to Leh

Infact have bookmarked this thread and has become a part of my morning rituals. Wonderful stuff
ku69rd is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks