Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2011, 12:15   #1351
Senior - BHPian

Re: HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
No, we did not go to Warshi. I saw the signboards pointing to it across the river after the Largiap Bridge and before Changmar. Are civilians allowed there? What goes there?

Lalu has already uploaded a couple of photos on the Thoise air strip, but I will also search the other albums for more.
I have no idea what goes on there Sir, it might just be a road connecting to the various villages or some posts.

Why I asked was because when we were having dinner at Partapur in one of the Army messes, one of the officers commented, that on our way back from Siachin Base we should have come directly from Warshi to Thoise to Partapur.

Then the topic changed and I did not interrogate about the route further. Hence thought would ask you, if you knew anything.

Regards
Old 17th December 2011, 15:22   #1352
Senior - BHPian

Re: HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deky View Post
I have no idea what goes on there Sir, it might just be a road connecting to the various villages or some posts.

Why I asked was because when we were having dinner at Partapur in one of the Army messes, one of the officers commented, that on our way back from Siachin Base we should have come directly from Warshi to Thoise to Partapur.

Then the topic changed and I did not interrogate about the route further. Hence thought would ask you, if you knew anything.

Regards
I am intrigued because the road to Siachen Base Cap goes via Surmur, Panamik on the right bank of the River Shayok before Diskit itself. FRom what you say, looks like there is another route off this Turtuk road via Warshi too.

In any case, civilians are not permitted to go off the Hunder-Turtuk road. They also are not granted permits beyond Panamik in the other road.
Old 17th December 2011, 17:45   #1353
BHPian

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)

Day 11: Leh to Turtuk 27th. August 2011

Part II: KhardungLa to Turtuk

The photologue continues...

Mountains and Sky
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_4197.jpg

Largiap Bridge
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_4204.jpg

Shayok River
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_4212.jpg

Fields of PEAS!
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_4256.jpg

Shayok river
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_4260.jpg
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_4265.jpg

Different Hues of the mountains
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_4278.jpg
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_4279.jpg

School Children at the First Balti Village (Someone please remind me the name)
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_4286.jpg

JP and JeepCaptain @ Turtuk Holiday Camp
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_4296.jpg

DB and SS @ Turtuk Holiday Camp
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_4297.jpg

no_enthu_da and NJ @ Turtuk Holiday Camp
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_4299.jpg

laluks @ Turtuk Holiday Camp
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_4300.jpg

Chief HVK @ Turtuk Holiday Camp
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_4301.jpg

doctorque @ Turtuk Holiday Camp
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_4303.jpg

AR @ Turtuk Holiday Camp
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_4304.jpg

The garden @ Turtuk Holiday Camp
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_4305.jpg
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_4308.jpg
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_4310.jpg
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_4312.jpg
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_4316.jpg
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_4317.jpg
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_4319.jpg
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_4320.jpg
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_4321.jpg

to be continued...
BolBolero is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2011, 18:12   #1354
BHPian

TURTUK Snapshots:
Turtuk Holiday Camp

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_4333.jpg

The Owner
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_4380.jpg

The Owner's Children
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_4322a.jpg
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_4326a.jpg
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_4328a.jpg

IPHE Team
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_4347.jpg

Turtuk Village
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_4341.jpg
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_4348.jpg
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_4352.jpg
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_4381.jpg

Baltistanis
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_4334.jpg
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_4358.jpg
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_4359.jpg
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_4361.jpg
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_4363.jpg
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_4364.jpg
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_4368.jpg
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_4376.jpg
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_4382.jpg
^^^^^ oops my mistake definitely not Baltistanis!
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_4384.jpg

to be continued...
Old 17th December 2011, 18:19   #1355
Senior - BHPian

I was very well keeping with the pace of this travelogue initially, but lost it in middle & thereon could not make it. Just been picking random pages for reading as and when I could completely spend on this.

Definitely this is going to be "TRAVEL BIBLE OF LADAKH" for the ones who wanted to explore this region to the maximum.
Surprise is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th December 2011, 18:40   #1356
BHPian

Lovely and sharp pictures Gautam sirjee, especially of the flowers and the interesting people. Now, I am getting this urge to borrow not only your Bolero but also your kamera; wot?
I am serious. Just to check my bones, I did a Mumbai-Udaipur-Mumbai. Also taken up swimming to tone up muscles and lungs in preparations for Ladakh

Keep it coming guys.
gostel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2011, 18:43   #1357
BHPian

TURTUK Snapshots:

BALTISTANIS
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_4386.jpg
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_4387.jpg
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_4388.jpg
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_4405.jpg
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_4434.jpg
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_4435.jpg

Turtuk Farmland
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_4393.jpg

JeepCaptain among PEAS!
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_4397.jpg

Apricots
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_4399.jpg

Bridge Over Troubled Waters? NAH!
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_4408.jpg
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_4411.jpg

Needs no introduction!
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_4415.jpg

The Last Stop for Civilians!
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_4437.jpg

Everybody returned to the camp by around 7:00 pm. After freshening up, all assembled in the Dining Tent for a delicious meal of Chicken and some home grown vegetables, washed down with some delicious fresh Apricots!

Lights out at around 10:30 pm. Early start again tomorrow....

Total Distance covered: 224 kms.
Old 17th December 2011, 18:48   #1358
BHPian

GPS Tracks

Day 11: Leh to Turtuk

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-11-leh-turtuk.jpg

11 Leh to Turtuk.kmz
Old 17th December 2011, 22:08   #1359
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BolBolero View Post

only for us to wait at the edge of the river to let the army convoy pass..
Attachment 856862
Are these army convoys? Trucks look like normal ones and not the army ones.
Old 17th December 2011, 23:19   #1360
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKilo View Post
Are these army convoys? Trucks look like normal ones and not the army ones.
The Army also engages civilian trucks when they shift battalions or companies from one place to another. In this case, this must be a company moving from Ladakh to, say, some far off place like, say, Pathankot or Ambala. This conviy was an all-army affair.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2011, 13:16   #1361
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You must have crossed Thoise en route to Turtok, any clicks of the airport??
Quote:
Lalu has already uploaded a couple of photos on the Thoise air strip

Some more from the next day. I only have these pictures and these were clicked from the pacing scorpio as Chief did not allow a photo halt.
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_0473.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_0474.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_0475.jpg

These were clicked at 06:00AM

Last edited by laluks : 18th December 2011 at 13:17.
laluks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2011, 16:02   #1362
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You must have crossed Thoise en route to Turtok, any clicks of the airport??
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec View Post
Yes we did cross the air strip..i think Anku should have some pics. I remember Kunal out of the window with the camera in that section
Quote:
Lalu has already uploaded a couple of photos on the Thoise air strip, but I will also search the other albums for more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Some more from the next day. I only have these pictures and these were clicked from the pacing scorpio as Chief did not allow a photo halt.
Attachment 857803

Attachment 857804

Attachment 857805

These were clicked at 06:00AM
Here are a few more pics of the Thoise air strip...these were clicked by Kunal (doctorque) on our way from Hundar to Turtuk on 27th Aug..

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-air-strip1.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-airstrip2.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-airstrip3.jpg

Last edited by KSM-Vtec : 18th December 2011 at 16:03.
KSM-Vtec is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th December 2011, 16:40   #1363
Senior - BHPian

Jeep captain is seen with an arm supported walking stick (I don't know the real name of this stuff), and on earlier occasions also. Saw someone else also in that, I think Laluks. Why and what is the purpose. Any pain or problem?
Old 18th December 2011, 16:52   #1364
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Jeep captain is seen with an arm supported walking stick (I don't know the real name of this stuff), and on earlier occasions also. Saw someone else also in that, I think Laluks. Why and what is the purpose. Any pain or problem?
Both Jeep Captain & SS used walking sticks during the trip, JC for medical reasons and SS due to his advanced age (81) in slopes and uneven terrain.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2011, 23:42   #1365
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

[center]34°50'44"N 76°49'39"E
NORTHERN MOST POINT IN INDIA

Did you know that Turtuk is the northern most point in India motorable by road for Indian civilians?

For me personally, it was a great moment reaching Turtuk, it being the NORTHERN-MOST point in India. I have driven to all the other corners of India, but till Turtuk was opened up to tourists in the year 2010, the Northernmost accessible to tourists was a spot on the Dras-Kargil road, which I had been already.

In the year 2009, I had the pleasure of driving to ALL the 4 points the SAME year. How did that happen?

EAST: Apr 25, 2009, Kibithu, 4866 feet, 740 am
WEST: Apr 29, 2009, Koteshwar, 17 feet, 1115 am
NORTH: Sep 14, 2009, Kharbu-Kargil road, 8754 feet, 738 pm
SOUTH: Nov 15, 2009, Kanyakumari, 286 feet, 138 am

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-nsew.jpg

...and now, with the opening of the road to Turtuk, I managed to reach the Northernmost point too this year, and I am definitely not contemplating driving to the other points in one shot!

Last edited by hvkumar : 18th December 2011 at 23:46.
hvkumar is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks