Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2010, 15:34   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Did anyone travelled from Bangalore recently, need update on the road condition. We are planning a trip on 3 cars (Mostly Palio,Santro and Accent) and heard some stretch is real bad for small vehicles
When are you planning to travel? My colleague is from Madanpally and has gone home for the weekend. I can get the details of road conditions from him on monday.
Old 8th March 2010, 16:45   #47
Senior - BHPian

Plan is to trip during March end or April begin. Any tips or inputs is highly appreciated.
Old 7th May 2010, 17:11   #48

Bangalore ( KR Puram) - Hoskote - Chintamani - Madanpalle - HH and vice versa

I and my family along with our friends ( with their two children) left for the first time to see this supposed to be a beautiful hill station called Horsely Hills near Madanpalle, Andhra Pradesh. We left KR Puram ( near hanging bridge, incidentally, we stay just there) at about 8AM in the morning after having a light breakfast. All of us were travelling in a Manchester Red Cedia, that we had purchased in Nov 2009. This was third outstation trip after Kochi, Coorg, Mysore etc. As i was not familiar with the routes and the place, (i had done lots of reviews on this forum and other portals about the place and sights seeing, accommodation etc). After crossing KR Puram police station and market area, we headed towards Hoskote ( road is being widened and there a few stretches that work is underway), just after Hoskote, there is a intersection, one on the left towards Chintamani (a state highway) and the other on the right and ahead towards Kolar ( National highway). I decided to take the Chintamani roue and hello, the route was superb. I think the road was laid pretty new but we were cruising along at 80kmph. Absolutely no traffic but the occasional private cabs and buses, the route was a scenic. After a hour we reached Chintamani town, stopped at one of the tea shops, had a nice tea and kids had a refreshing tender coconut and we headed to Madanpalle. In about 45 mins we were in AP state, and the roads here were better than Karnataka. Long winding roads, very few villages, small arid hilllocks to greet us, driving was here amazing. After a hour or so, we were in Madanpalle, bought some more refreshments, some beer and headed to the hills. In 30 mins, we were on the hills and checked in Haritha Resort ( run and managed by AP Tourism). Total journey time was 3.5 hours only. We checked in, bought a 2BHK cottage for ourself, went for a stroll to see the resort and headed straight for lunch. As the kids were hungry too, we had a good lunch and headed to see the place deeper. Horsely Hills does not have too much to offer and as were travelling in the month of May, the weather was hot but not humid. I am sure travelers would love to visit this place from Oct - Feb, as the period is best. Anyway, the resort has a few activities for kids and adults, has a swimming pool, a mini zoo ( maintained jointly by the resort and AP Forest Board). All in all, a quiet small place for family and kids just 3hours away from Bangalore. We stayed for a night and ordered food inside the room. Had beer, watched kids play opp the cottage till 10Pm and then went to bed. The next day, we woke up, rushed in the pool again, had complimentary breakfast served at the resort restaurant and then check out. On the way down the hills, we stopped in a village that makes clay pottery items, We spent some time to see the pottery man making a wonderful flower vase in clay and bought a few items and loaded in our boot. The prices were very cheap and the same items would have cost 300% more in Bangalore. After a quick lunch in Madanpalle, we drove down non stop and near Hoskote, we were greeted with a evening thundershower and we reached Bangalore by 5:30PM. All in all, a not so tiring drive, a quiet decent place to spend in HH, ( a one day is sufficient) but if you are not in a hurry, enjoy the walks, the sunset. What I really liked the most was the Haritha Resort run by AP tourism, very clean washrooms. beds, linen, hot water geyser, food is excellent in restaurants, liquor is not costly at all. Kids were really like the pool but plan to book in advance and go during the weekdays because weekends will become crowded.
Old 7th May 2010, 20:29   #49
Team-BHP Support

Crisp write-up. Thanks.

This looks like another place like Yelagiri.
What was the total distance. We you say 3.5 hours it should be about 200.
Other than the resort you stayed, are there any other places to stay?

The place should be good in winter.

Another route to avoid the congested NH4 is take NH207 through Sarjapur which would cut directly at Hoskote.
This is for folks starting from South Bangalore.
Old 8th May 2010, 16:54   #50
Senior - BHPian

Ajay, Is this Haritha resort started recently? I remember nothing other than Punnami Hill resort during my visit 4 yrs back.

Abhi
Old 9th May 2010, 08:54   #51
Team-BHP Support

Can some one summarize the different stay options available here apart from APTDC? This definitely looks like a nice Winter weekend break-out.

PS: I did not find much on the web.
Old 9th May 2010, 17:28   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
Ajay, Is this Haritha resort started recently? I remember nothing other than Punnami Hill resort during my visit 4 yrs back.

Abhi
AP Tourism had changed the brand name of its resorts from Punnami to Haritha sometime during 2007. So it must be the same resort.
Old 11th May 2010, 15:13   #53
Senior - BHPian

Punnami is Harita Resorts Run by APTDC. There is one lodge opposite to "Windfall" Cottage but no idea on the Tariff. It has limited parking place. The best option is Harita APTDC Resort.

The next best option is Average hotels in Madanapalli. I recommend you to book the resort and then travel. Eventhough the place is less heard of when compared to other hill stations, it is crowded.

I booked nearly 6 weeks in advance and unfortunately had to book one and only 4 seater cottage. Unfortunately we were only 2 of us and booked a 4 seater cottage (Windfall) for Rs 2350/-.
Old 12th May 2010, 11:51   #54
BHPian

nice write up Ajay.
I assume visiting this place in rains will be interesting too.
Please put some photos if u have !
Old 12th May 2010, 12:35   #55
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
Punnami is Harita Resorts Run by APTDC. There is one lodge opposite to "Windfall" Cottage but no idea on the Tariff. It has limited parking place. The best option is Harita APTDC Resort.

The next best option is Average hotels in Madanapalli. I recommend you to book the resort and then travel. Eventhough the place is less heard of when compared to other hill stations, it is crowded.

I booked nearly 6 weeks in advance and unfortunately had to book one and only 4 seater cottage. Unfortunately we were only 2 of us and booked a 4 seater cottage (Windfall) for Rs 2350/-.
Hey thanks for that detail. Is there any thing to do other than spend time? I was thinking of a 1 night weekend drive to this place. But looks like summer is not the time. It would be pretty warm.
Old 12th May 2010, 13:12   #56
Senior - BHPian

Dear Ampere -

There is no "Sight Seeing" compared to Ooty / Kodai / Munnar.

Anyway let me put something across.

1. Couple of kms after you pay the hill toll, there is a lake like area with a board indicating some birds / animals. Try your luck here. We could not see anything but crows here. We reached there around 12:00 pm as the hotel is a 12:00 - 12:00 checkout and not a flexible 24 hr room.

2. A Banyan Tree right oppsite the APTDC recepetion building

3. A Micro Zoo with Rabbits, monkeys and some birds

4. A View Point where we can spend like 30 mins at the most. This has lot of broken glass bits (Beer Bottles) so sitting / walking barefoot may not be
an option.

5. 2 kms before Horsley there is a "Verandah" + Board indicating some presence of Sambhar / Deer inaugarated by someone in 1995. We stopped but could see only some thick bushes and nothing more.

Other than this there is Nothing to do in Horsley. Carry a pack of cards / some board games to play. Carry some IPOD + Dock to play music. TV is provided in most Horsley APTDC Rooms.

If you have the time and leisure you could try out Kaundinya Wildlife sanctuary enroute from Chittoor to Bangalore. I am not sure about where this is located but maybe a visit to APTDC office will help.

Hope this Helps you.

Note: there are some adventure activities equipment run by some private operator (Not APTDC) that I saw there. Some rope walking, some net climbing etc. I am not sure if they entertain for individuals or they cater to only large groups. You may pursue this option. No idea on charges as I went with Parents who are 60+ and may not be interested in Adventure sports.

Last edited by scopriobharath : 12th May 2010 at 13:15.
Old 12th May 2010, 15:54   #57
Team-BHP Support

@scopriobharath

Thanks. I pretty much expected that.
That is why I mentioned a one night travel to this place, just to break the shackles of monotony of our daily life!

We always need a new place to drive to. Don't we?

As I also mentioned earlier, the place pretty much is like Yelagiri hills
(near Vanyambadi, off NH46).

The route I was thinking was not take NH4, but go to Hosokote via NH207 and then take the state highway via Chintamani/Madanapalle.
Old 17th May 2010, 19:01   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Crisp write-up. Thanks.

This looks like another place like Yelagiri.
What was the total distance. We you say 3.5 hours it should be about 200.
Other than the resort you stayed, are there any other places to stay?

The place should be good in winter.

Another route to avoid the congested NH4 is take NH207 through Sarjapur which would cut directly at Hoskote.
This is for folks starting from South Bangalore.
Ampere,

The exact distance from Bangalore KR Puram cable bridge area to Horsely Hills is about 160kms. I have taken the considerations for having some time to have and buy refreshments during the journey, thats why the trip took about 3.5 hours, you can easily make it in 3 hours non stop or even less nonstop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
Abhi,

Thats exactly the same resort but now with a different name and completely managed by the AP Tourism Board.

Last edited by Jaggu : 17th May 2010 at 19:15. Reason: Back to back posts, please use Multi (Quote +) instead. Fixing the Quote issue, please Preview before posting, Thanks
Old 17th May 2010, 19:19   #59

[quote=neo45007;1881344]nice write up Ajay.
I assume visiting this place in rains will be interesting too.
Please put some photos if u have !

Hey, here you go with a few pixs taken during our HH weekend trip....
Attached Thumbnails
Weekend Travelogue: Bangalore to Horsley Hills-img00132201004231006.jpg  

Weekend Travelogue: Bangalore to Horsley Hills-img00164201004231103.jpg  

Weekend Travelogue: Bangalore to Horsley Hills-img00168201004231105.jpg  

Weekend Travelogue: Bangalore to Horsley Hills-img00180201004231221.jpg  

Weekend Travelogue: Bangalore to Horsley Hills-img00184201004231235.jpg  

Weekend Travelogue: Bangalore to Horsley Hills-img00211201004231553.jpg  

Weekend Travelogue: Bangalore to Horsley Hills-img00218201004231749.jpg  

Weekend Travelogue: Bangalore to Horsley Hills-img00411201004241249.jpg  

Weekend Travelogue: Bangalore to Horsley Hills-img00217201004231748.jpg  

Weekend Travelogue: Bangalore to Horsley Hills-img00424201004241253.jpg  

Old 4th August 2010, 21:19   #60
BANNED

Hi All whats is the route from chennai to Horsely hills? i need to decide between Yearcaud and Horsely hills

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks