Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2012, 16:03   #61
Team-BHP Support

re: Destination Sandakphu, the Land Rover territory. Update - another trip till Phalut

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
Whoa! The tight turns video is scary!
Yes and it was during one of these turns that my wife had almost decided to abandon the car and do the rest of the trip on foot
BlackPearl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2012, 16:46   #62
Senior - BHPian

re: Destination Sandakphu, the Land Rover territory. Update - another trip till Phalut

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
The last stretch of road to Sandakphu was incredibly steep and had to be done in 4L 2nd gear. The Bolero or The White Tusker as named, was able to go up most of the slopes in 2wd mode. But problems occurred when a Landrover came from opposite direction on one those steep slopes. From a standstill I was not able to go up even in 4H. 4L was the only option on those slopes. I am not saying that these slopes cannot be done by a 2wd SUV, but I don't think I am capable enough to do it. Either it will need to maintain the momentum or use some technique unknown to me.
We reached Sandakphu at around 11:30 a.m.
We wanted to go till Phalut as we were not aware of the distance of Phalut from Sandakphu. But a trekker returning from Phalut told us that it was about noon and if we chose to go to Phalut we would have to stay there. Going 21 Kms and would take two and half hours to reach there. It was already 12 back on this route at night is same as committing suicide and we did not have enough clothes required for a stay at Phalut. So we made the wise decision to go back to Darjeeling after taking some snaps and a promise to be back to that amazing place as soon as possible.

The White Tusker posing
The road not taken - leads to Phalut
Returning to Darjeeling
The roads looked menacing while descending. A few pictures of the slopes though it is impossible to capture the steepness -
The right after the first left looks like a passage to hell
[u][b]Steepness everywhere
Roads divide, one goes through India and the other through Nepal
You sure have been to hell and back, looks very scary, reminds be of the 'Mountain Dew' ad: dar ke aagey jeeth hai.
Durango Dude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2012, 18:30   #63
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
You sure have been to hell and back, looks very scary, reminds be of the 'Mountain Dew' ad: dar ke aagey jeeth hai.
Yes, it looked scary while coming down. We are planning to go there again this month. Hopefully we will be able to go till Phalut.
Old 12th April 2012, 17:53   #64
BHPian

Thats a very nice trip log Black pearl. When did you do this trip? Is it last weekend? Last weekend I also did a road trip to Ravangla & Gangtok, in my Venture (Sara).
sumitkalindi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2012, 23:49   #65
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumitkalindi View Post
Thats a very nice trip log Black pearl. When did you do this trip? Is it last weekend? Last weekend I also did a road trip to Ravangla & Gangtok, in my Venture (Sara).
Thanks sumitkalindi. We did this trip in March and again during the last week. This time we went till Phalut. The details and pictures of the trip are pending.
Old 24th April 2012, 20:55   #66
Senior - BHPian

^^^
How do you get so much leave?

Did you use the same route (NH34) for Calcutta - Siliguri this time too?

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th April 2012, 01:19   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
^^^
How do you get so much leave?
Sometimes I think these guys (they work in the same company incidentally) have employed body doubles who attend office for them while they are off-roading and on-roading their way to glory.

Last edited by samarjitdhar : 25th April 2012 at 01:20.
Old 25th April 2012, 18:11   #68
adc
Senior - BHPian

A travel is done to see a land and/or its people, but when that includes a 4wd drive and a fantastic driver - I just relax and watch all these three - the land, the 4wd and its driver [Blackpearl] - just from the passenger seat.

Including some random pictures from our [Blackpearl and adc] 4-day journey to Sandakphu and Phalut from Kolkata.

The map, we are headed towards Sandakphu and Phalut from Manaybhanjang via Tonglu and Gairibas. The track runs along the Indo-Nepal border

Destination Sandakphu, the Land Rover territory. Update - another trip till Phalut-sandakphutrekmap.jpg

The 4wd white tusker as we leave Kolkata at 11 pm for the overnight journey to Manaybhanjang
Destination Sandakphu, the Land Rover territory. Update - another trip till Phalut-img_9535.jpg

The way we [BP & adc] move. Blackpearl [Sumitro] is a fantastic understated driver on this forum. The tenacity and adaptability seen from him was exemplary - I was the passenger all through this journey
Destination Sandakphu, the Land Rover territory. Update - another trip till Phalut-img_9543.jpg

The ride - White Tusker, Bolero LX 4wd
Destination Sandakphu, the Land Rover territory. Update - another trip till Phalut-img_0154.jpg

And we cross these auto guys, on a journey from Cochin to Shillong. The drivers nicknamed themselves as "Stuffed Pioneer" and "Flat Dog"

Destination Sandakphu, the Land Rover territory. Update - another trip till Phalut-img_9541.jpg

Around Mirik
Destination Sandakphu, the Land Rover territory. Update - another trip till Phalut-img_9585.jpg

At Manaybhanjang, where all the 2wd drives stop and the 4wd Land Rovers take over
Destination Sandakphu, the Land Rover territory. Update - another trip till Phalut-img_9636.jpg

Destination Sandakphu, the Land Rover territory. Update - another trip till Phalut-img_9649.jpg

Destination Sandakphu, the Land Rover territory. Update - another trip till Phalut-img_9617.jpg

Destination Sandakphu, the Land Rover territory. Update - another trip till Phalut-img_9622.jpg

The steep blacktop continues for some 2 km till Chitrey and then it is all rocks and with much more incline

Destination Sandakphu, the Land Rover territory. Update - another trip till Phalut-img_9678.jpg

Destination Sandakphu, the Land Rover territory. Update - another trip till Phalut-img_9679.jpg

Destination Sandakphu, the Land Rover territory. Update - another trip till Phalut-img_9703.jpg

At Lamaydhura, a further 3 km from Chitrey

Destination Sandakphu, the Land Rover territory. Update - another trip till Phalut-img_9711.jpg

And the rough journey continues, a LR can be seen going down towards base

Destination Sandakphu, the Land Rover territory. Update - another trip till Phalut-img_9723.jpg

Kachendzonga from Tonglu

Destination Sandakphu, the Land Rover territory. Update - another trip till Phalut-img_9746.jpg

Blackpearl and White Tusker

Destination Sandakphu, the Land Rover territory. Update - another trip till Phalut-img_9773.jpg

At Gairibas

Destination Sandakphu, the Land Rover territory. Update - another trip till Phalut-img_9785.jpg

Rhododendrons along the way

Destination Sandakphu, the Land Rover territory. Update - another trip till Phalut-img_9816.jpg

Destination Sandakphu, the Land Rover territory. Update - another trip till Phalut-img_9822.jpg

Destination Sandakphu, the Land Rover territory. Update - another trip till Phalut-img_9823.jpg

Destination Sandakphu, the Land Rover territory. Update - another trip till Phalut-img_9828.jpg

Destination Sandakphu, the Land Rover territory. Update - another trip till Phalut-img_0163.jpg

At Sandakphu
Destination Sandakphu, the Land Rover territory. Update - another trip till Phalut-img_0077.jpg

Destination Sandakphu, the Land Rover territory. Update - another trip till Phalut-img_9945.jpg

Towards Phalut and FRH at Phalut
Destination Sandakphu, the Land Rover territory. Update - another trip till Phalut-img_0136.jpg

Destination Sandakphu, the Land Rover territory. Update - another trip till Phalut-img_0284.jpg

Destination Sandakphu, the Land Rover territory. Update - another trip till Phalut-img_0294.jpg

Destination Sandakphu, the Land Rover territory. Update - another trip till Phalut-img_0403.jpg

Destination Sandakphu, the Land Rover territory. Update - another trip till Phalut-img_0459.jpg

Last edited by adc : 25th April 2012 at 18:36.
adc is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 25th April 2012, 18:39   #69
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Did you use the same route (NH34) for Calcutta - Siliguri this time too?
Regards
Sutripta
Yes, the same route. While coming back we were stuck at Dalkhola due to some accident and took a detour by following an Innova. The route was through Kamki-Chaulkhola-Domona and then to NH34.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarjitdhar View Post
Sometimes I think these guys (they work in the same company incidentally) have employed body doubles who attend office for them while they are off-roading and on-roading their way to glory.
Lol samarjitdhar. But this time I went with the legendary Adc da

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
A travel is done to see a land and/or its people, but when that includes a 4wd drive and a fantastic driver - I just relax and watch all these three - the land, the 4wd and its driver [Blackpearl] - just from the passenger seat.
Adc da, thanks for the lovely words and pictures and also for accompanying me. It has been my long time dream to do a travel with you. Next time we will go to a place where you can take the TMT and do not have to be tortured sitting in the co-driver seat .
BlackPearl is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th April 2012, 20:13   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Lol samarjitdhar. But this time I went with the legendary Adc da
Yes lucky you and the great ADC da making a trip together . So my hunch was right. I need to find a body double for myself too

Fantastic clicks. Its such a beautiful place to be in. That's the advantage of using a 4X4. One can go to some places where there is no crowd and you can enjoy nature's beauty to its fullest.
samarjitdhar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2012, 21:02   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But this time I went with the legendary Adc da
How did this role reversal happen? Normally, ADC is the driver on the lookout for companions.

Waiting for someone to do the Dumka - Bhagalpur - Purnea route and report back.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 25th April 2012, 21:46   #72
adc
Senior - BHPian

Aare what both of you have started!!

BP, I have enjoyed this journey thoroughly, it was a pleasure to see you drive and adapt as the terrain changed. Again, as I say, one of best drive skill he has! And what more for the first time I could doze off on a NH34 highway overnight journey!

Quote:
Waiting for someone to do the Dumka - Bhagalpur - Purnea route and report back.
Rahul -da would be on this route by around May end, most probably.

Some more random pics

At Sandakphu
Destination Sandakphu, the Land Rover territory. Update - another trip till Phalut-img_0021.jpg

Destination Sandakphu, the Land Rover territory. Update - another trip till Phalut-img_0022.jpg

Destination Sandakphu, the Land Rover territory. Update - another trip till Phalut-img_0042.jpg

Destination Sandakphu, the Land Rover territory. Update - another trip till Phalut-img_9957.jpg

Some fun time with a group of trekkers we met
Destination Sandakphu, the Land Rover territory. Update - another trip till Phalut-img_9998.jpg

Sun for both the ride and driver

Destination Sandakphu, the Land Rover territory. Update - another trip till Phalut-img_0052.jpg

Kachendzonga range
Destination Sandakphu, the Land Rover territory. Update - another trip till Phalut-img_0077.jpg

Towards Phalut and FRH

Destination Sandakphu, the Land Rover territory. Update - another trip till Phalut-img_0223.jpg

Destination Sandakphu, the Land Rover territory. Update - another trip till Phalut-img_0234.jpg

Destination Sandakphu, the Land Rover territory. Update - another trip till Phalut-img_0310.jpg

Some more rhododendrons

Destination Sandakphu, the Land Rover territory. Update - another trip till Phalut-img_0324.jpg

Destination Sandakphu, the Land Rover territory. Update - another trip till Phalut-img_0328.jpg

Destination Sandakphu, the Land Rover territory. Update - another trip till Phalut-img_0340.jpg

Destination Sandakphu, the Land Rover territory. Update - another trip till Phalut-img_0352.jpg

Destination Sandakphu, the Land Rover territory. Update - another trip till Phalut-img_9904.jpg

Destination Sandakphu, the Land Rover territory. Update - another trip till Phalut-img_0393.jpg

Destination Sandakphu, the Land Rover territory. Update - another trip till Phalut-img_0392.jpg

Mist and rain predominated the other days, other than the few hours of clear weather that we got

Destination Sandakphu, the Land Rover territory. Update - another trip till Phalut-img_0442.jpg

BP checking out a LR

Destination Sandakphu, the Land Rover territory. Update - another trip till Phalut-img_9850.jpg

Destination Sandakphu, the Land Rover territory. Update - another trip till Phalut-img_9851.jpg

Destination Sandakphu, the Land Rover territory. Update - another trip till Phalut-img_9865.jpg

And also another Mahindra 4wd
Destination Sandakphu, the Land Rover territory. Update - another trip till Phalut-img_9949.jpg

Around Bikeybhanjang, for Sandakphu one can follow the Nepal track also [the left one]. Seen here as a trekker also gets ready for the walk
Destination Sandakphu, the Land Rover territory. Update - another trip till Phalut-img_9927.jpg

And some part of the track that the White Tusker climbed till now
Destination Sandakphu, the Land Rover territory. Update - another trip till Phalut-img_9959.jpg

Last edited by adc : 25th April 2012 at 22:04.
adc is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th April 2012, 17:11   #73
Team-BHP Support

Re: Destination Sandakphu, the Land Rover territory. Update - another trip till Phalu

Awesome pictures Adc Da. I will put up some pictures once I come back on Tuesday from the Koochbihar-Lava-Lolegaon-Charcoal trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by octane1002 View Post
Since you have encountered the terrain first hand I have a query.Is it possible to go to Sandakphu in a 2WD SUV or is 4WD imperative..I dont intend to take it off the road or anything but the roads enroute to Sandakphu would they require 4WD?
Last time I was not able to answer your question properly. This time we spoke to a few locals and found out that a Tata Sumo Gold was taken there to test if it could go up the slopes. The locals said that the sumo was not able to make it. I have heard that the Sumo Gold with 3 litre engine has good amount of torque. If it was not able to make it, it will be hard for other 2wd SUVs.

Last edited by BlackPearl : 26th April 2012 at 17:38.
Old 27th April 2012, 09:37   #74

Re: Destination Sandakphu, the Land Rover territory. Update - another trip till Phalu

Such a comprehensive write-up and stunning pictures to complement it !

This sure does make one feel like there is is a lot left to be explored and there is the urge to just pack the bags and set off.
Alias_6 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2012, 12:17   #75
BHPian

Great great drive! I just have a few questions, firstly how much was the accommodation and how was it? decent? Do you need advance booking or are there enough places to stay there? I am thinking of going there with family so is the accommodation acceptable for women and children?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks