Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2022, 18:21   #136
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Re: Thailand 101: Advice, Tips, Planning etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrspn View Post
This is very reassuring, thank you! Older accounts (pre-COVID) on this thread suggested that Phuket airport doesn't really use the eVOA queue at all. But if it's quick and leaves room to explore the country, it's definitely worth the price.
That was my main worry before travel. Did not want to stand in a queue for a few hours for the visa at the Airport. I distinctly remember waiting in a queue during my 2 previous visits to Bangkok.

Quote:
Looks like I'll opt for a self-drive then, how were the roads?
The roads are too good, nothing to worry. Everyone is disciplined, almost no honking!
PPS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2022, 21:26   #137
AZT
BHPian

Quote:
4. Can someone recommend a good Forex card for Thailand? I am used to the HDFC card for my work trips to Europe, but have never really been to a Southeast asian country and am worried about network support and if I should keep majority of my trip money in Cash. (How safe is it to be carrying 10-15k THB in Phuket or Krabi, both city and beaches?)
I’ve always carried USD from India and converted there as and when needed. I found that gives best exchange rate. Obviously, carry your Indian credit card for emergency spends etc but USD to Baht is what I’d recommend over a Forex card.
AZT is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2022, 13:22   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZT View Post
I’ve always carried USD from India and converted there as and when needed. I found that gives best exchange rate. Obviously, carry your Indian credit card for emergency spends etc but USD to Baht is what I’d recommend over a Forex card.
That's interesting, won't this mean paying the forex conversion fee twice?
Old 3rd June 2022, 20:52   #139
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Apart from these, if there are any recommendation of tours or experiences in Thailand, please let me know
Visa - Instead of VoA from counter, get the Evisa done (was 600THB) when I had travelled before pandemic. Its easier and avoid getting in to crowded lane which PPS was mentioning few posts above.

You can find the details about that mentioned in my travelogue here (Wanderlust Traveler: Cambodia - Land of smiles)

and the pic of Phuket counter and other details here (Wanderlust Traveler: Cambodia - Land of smiles)

Regarding forex, would suggest to convert USD if you have it (loss of transactions at both side) or withdraw from a Indian debit card at an ATM there. You will be charged a transaction charge (of around 600 INR I guess), still it wont be much of an issue since you just need to withdraw once or twice.
Old 13th June 2022, 09:19   #140
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys,
Which insurance did you avail (for the mandatory $10k coverage required for tourists) for your recent Thailand trips? I'm wondering if any of the Indian insurance firms based options will suffice or do I look at global players (e.g. AXA insurance is one referenced on Thaiembassy website)
Old 23rd June 2022, 10:48   #141
Distinguished - BHPian

Just a headsup for folks heading to Bangkok via DMK airport - there's a Red Line SRT (mass rail transport) that one can take from the airport to Bang Sue station/terminus where you get connectivity to Blue & Purple metro lines. The DMK airport station is about a ~10 mins walk through the airport building and has direct connectivity.

The trains are available every ~15 mins and operate from early morning (5.30 am I think) to late night.

Edit: Agree with @AZT - carrying USD and converting to Baht in Thailand is a much better option than carrying Baht from India. You get a better conversion rate overall.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 23rd June 2022 at 10:49.
Old 23rd June 2022, 11:12   #142
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Which insurance did you avail (for the mandatory $10k coverage required for tourists) for your recent Thailand trips?
You can get any travel insurance with coverage in Thailand. During a recent overseas trip of a week, found AXA cheaper than other options. Since its the same suggested as you mentioned, you can check their policy online.
Old 23rd June 2022, 11:41   #143
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
You can get any travel insurance with coverage in Thailand. During a recent overseas trip of a week, found AXA cheaper than other options. Since its the same suggested as you mentioned, you can check their policy online.
Not exactly. There are 4 options offered on the Thai Pass website from different providers (AXA is one of them), all priced from 660baht per person to 2000baht. If one opts for insurance from Indian insurers (say Tata AIG), the price is much cheaper (got quotes for ~2k INR for both of us combined).

However the ones from the Thai epass site also have a page that explains these insurance are approved by the Thai immigration department and have a (seemingly) letter of authority on Thai letterhead (in English & Thai script) . Didn't hear from anyone (to my previous post) who used Indian insurers so went with one of the 4 options on Thai epass website. AXA was the costliest so didn't opt for that.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2022, 15:31   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Guys,
Which insurance did you avail (for the mandatory $10k coverage required for tourists) for your recent Thailand trips? I'm wondering if any of the Indian insurance firms based options will suffice or do I look at global players (e.g. AXA insurance is one referenced on Thaiembassy website)
You can search on Policy Bazaar, select $50,000 as the coverage (10k not available) and sort by price and pick the lowest one. Should be around 300 for the insurance. It's issued instantly and accepted for ThaiPass.
Old 21st September 2022, 09:26   #145
BHPian

Can anyone share the latest process for Thailand Visa? I need to make a short trip of 3 days.
Thanks in advance
Old 26th September 2022, 23:21   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krinpit View Post
Can anyone share the latest process for Thailand Visa? I need to make a short trip of 3 days.
Thanks in advance
last month I went to Phuket, reached there in morning. I did have some mix foreign currencies, that I exchanged on the first counter next to Visa On Arrival section (I didnt bother on exchange rate due to not a big amount). Filled the VoA form, affixed a picture, along with passport submitted at counter-1 - they asked for cash 2200 Bhat for VoA fees plus 200 Bhat for service charge. There was hardly any rush, and I picked my stamped passport from 5 meter away counter-2, all done in hardly 5 minutes.

After I picked my luggage, just before the exit gate there are many currency exchange and ATM counters - I exchanged a bit more money, possibly the rate was slightly better than inner first counter. I have noticed that counters in market offer better rates.

PS: before boarding your India return flight, ensure to fill the Air Suvidha form https://www.newdelhiairport.in/airsu...o-registration

regards,
Pranav
pcpranav is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2022, 10:04   #147
Senior - BHPian

Hi Guys, wife and self are visiting Thailand for 2 weeks end of November. I have arranged accommodation, flights and train tickets. I am thinking of applying for an EVOA before travel so hopeing for smooth entry to BKK. I'm mostly sorted, but few questions remain and for that looking out to you experienced people for ideas. Firstly it is about how does one show this
"Indian citizens travelling with family, must have a minimum of 40,000 THB or INR 87,000". Normally for Schengen visa a bank statement would be sufficient. I plan to take about 400 or so USD in cash and change it as and when required, but to take 40K Baht would be too much cash and not safe at all. I would also carry International Credit and debit cards for anything extra if required. Any advise here?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZT View Post
Quote:
That's interesting, won't this mean paying the forex conversion fee twice?
Yes it will entail paying for exchange commissions twice but the only other alternative is to get Bahts in India at a poor exchange rate. e.g. 400 USD = 33500 INR @83.75 = 14076 THB @ 2.37 while 400 USD = 15244 @ 38.11 at today s rate.

Quote:
Not exactly. There are 4 options offered on the Thai Pass website from different providers (AXA is one of them), all priced from 660baht per person to 2000baht. If one opts for insurance from Indian insurers (say Tata AIG), the price is much cheaper (got quotes for ~2k INR for both of us combined).
Quoting from TOI of 18/6/22 "From July 1, foreign travellers travelling to Thailand will no longer need to do the Thailand Pass registration and the US$10,000 health insurance which was a requirement earlier." Therefore I would be going for a TATA AIG pan for 100,000 USD cost is 4825 INR. Any thoughts on this?
Old 28th September 2022, 11:18   #148
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post

Quoting from TOI of 18/6/22 "From July 1, foreign travellers travelling to Thailand will no longer need to do the Thailand Pass registration and the US$10,000 health insurance which was a requirement earlier." Therefore I would be going for a TATA AIG pan for 100,000 USD cost is 4825 INR. Any thoughts on this?
If the Thai website (or any Thai immigration related sites) quote a similar update, I don't see any point of concern. Honestly they only do a casual check at the visa counter so as long as there's documentation online, you are good.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2022, 21:40   #149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
Hi Guys, wife and self are visiting Thailand for 2 weeks end of November. I have arranged accommodation, flights and train tickets. I am thinking of applying for an EVOA before travel so hopeing for smooth entry to BKK. I'm mostly sorted, but few questions remain and for that looking out to you experienced people for ideas. Firstly it is about how does one show this
"Indian citizens travelling with family, must have a minimum of 40,000 THB or INR 87,000". Normally for Schengen visa a bank statement would be sufficient. I plan to take about 400 or so USD in cash and change it as and when required, but to take 40K Baht would be too much cash and not safe at all. I would also carry International Credit and debit cards for anything extra if required. Any advise here?

Quoting from TOI of 18/6/22 "From July 1, foreign travelers travelling to Thailand will no longer need to do the Thailand Pass registration and the US$10,000 health insurance which was a requirement earlier." Therefore, I would be going for a TATA AIG pan for 100,000 USD cost is 4825 INR. Any thoughts on this?
I travelled to Bangkok on 25th Sep and returning on 29th Sep.

There is no check for the amount of cash being carried as well as the insurance. You need to pay 2200 Thai Baht per person in cash. So, if you carry around 15k Baht, you should be good.

It took us about 15 minutes via VOA, so not much difference between eVOA and VOA. You will have to stand in another queue to pay the fee amount if VOA. If VOA, make sure you have 4x6 passport photographs, as you will have to fill a basic form and affix the photo. If you are carrying a glue stick, you will save some more time, else you can use the stapler provided at the counter.

Regarding cash conversion, if you want to avoid transaction costs, get the conversion done in multiples of 20k

Enjoy your trip. No worries, it should be pretty smooth.

Last edited by vb-saan : 29th September 2022 at 06:48. Reason: Typo
krinpit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2022, 16:54   #150
BHPian

The Airline gate (Indigo and Air India) for India flights is "W" at the Suvarnabhoomi airport, which is towards the end of the Airport. We got off the taxi at gate "A" and literally had to run until "W" as we were short of time.
krinpit is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks