Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2023, 09:52   #211
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Thailand 101: Advice, Tips, Planning etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Another option to consider is Hua Hin, which is like 3-4 hours by car from Bangkok.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Krabi & Koh Samui are great options for sea based activities. But you'll definitely see crowds all around the year at these places; but hopefully if you plan these places on weekdays, the impact will be lesser.

Hua Hin is also train-accessible. You get decent options - sleeper / chair car (ac & non-ac) from Bangkok upto Surat Thani (which is the point to get off for Krabi & Koh Samui). It's a wonderful experience taking trains in Thailand and quite affordable (equivalent to Indian train prices).
Thanks for the inputs. Is it advisable to rent a car and self drive to Hua Hin? Is an IDP needed?

Also which would be the right area to stay in Bangkok?
Old 12th August 2023, 10:22   #212
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Thanks for the inputs. Is it advisable to rent a car and self drive to Hua Hin? Is an IDP needed?

Have rented bikes with Indian licenses and faced no issues. No idea about cars to be honest.

As for your second question, that's like asking which udupi restaurant in Bangalore would be best to get a feel of local breakfast items

Its a beautiful city so loads of options. Pick a decent hotel near tourist locations you plan to visit. Or atleast metro accessible.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2023, 10:49   #213
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I think you need to have an IDP to drive in Thailand as a tourist. Irrespective of that, my recommendation is not to self-drive, especially in Bangkok. The traffic chaos is legendary, and with expressways and ramps like tangled noodles it will be a nightmare to get in/out of the city limits. Best is to get a car with driver. Within the city, use the BTS metro train as much as possible (one day pass is not expensive)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj
I always prefer to stay around Sukhumvit area. Last time we stayed at Holiday Inn, which was a short walk from Phrom Phong BTS station.
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2023, 10:59   #214
Distinguished - BHPian

^^I disagree on the driving part. I absolutely LOVED driving in Thailand. Yes, the city traffic can be a lot, but nothing compared to Bangalore jams. Plus over there folks, especially 4 wheelers, follow the rules to the dot; and the default setup there is to give way to two wheelers. In the city, it's a no brainier to use public transport. But once you get out of Bangkok, driving is fun. Also we loved taking the scooter around late night on empty but brightly lit city roads.

Edit: either options are great. Having been to Thailand 4 times, I now realize I have tried all options - self-driving, flights, trains and public transport for traveling within that country.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 12th August 2023 at 11:01.
ninjatalli is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th August 2023, 14:38   #215
BHPian

Quote:
I think you need to have an IDP to drive in Thailand as a tourist.
Yes IDP is required to legally drive, and as Thailand has Visa on Arrival, no need to submit travel docs while applying the same. IDP should be done from RTO and not some fake 3rd party agencies like ITCA. There are many instances where tourists were caught not having proper IDV and fined.

https://www.tripadvisor.in/ShowTopic...city-Bali.html
Samfromindia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2023, 16:56   #216
Distinguished - BHPian

I have driven quite a lot in Phuket and Koh Samui. Rented Toyota’s from Sixt. They never asked for any IDP. Just the Indian license with chip was enough. Having said that, I wouldn’t drive around in Bangkok as the traffic and parking is a pain. Use the metro or a taxi especially in downtown Bangkok.
robimahanta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2023, 17:04   #217
BHPian

Quote:
^^I disagree on the driving part. I absolutely LOVED driving in Thailand.
Completely agree with this. Had hired an avis ten years back and thoroughly enjoyed the 4 days we had the car. Had no issues with my India DL. Bangkok traffic could be intimidating at first with its maze of ramps and interchanges. Rented a navigation unit as an add on and had no problems. It helps that motorists follow traffic rules there which includes maintaining sufficient distance from the vehicle in front. Appending a link to my TL

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...d-motored.html (Hot wheels and big grins in the land of smiles :) - Thailand motored)
hothatchaway is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2023, 15:18   #218
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Its a beautiful city so loads of options. Pick a decent hotel near tourist locations you plan to visit. Or atleast metro accessible.
Quote:
I always prefer to stay around Sukhumvit area. Last time we stayed at Holiday Inn, which was a short walk from Phrom Phong BTS station.
Thanks for all the inputs. Have finalized the plan to cover Bangkok and Krabi. Have booked a hotel in the Sukhumvit area.

One other question I had which I thought better to ask here. My return flight from Bangkok is at 9.20PM. I am planning to return from Krabi the same day. The return flight that am planning to book from Krabi to Bangkok(Suvarnabhumi) lands at 5.20PM. Assuming I cannot do a through check-in, is the timing ok? Should I account for any typical delays that can make this risky?
Old 15th August 2023, 07:28   #219
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
One other question I had which I thought better to ask here. My return flight from Bangkok is at 9.20PM. I am planning to return from Krabi the same day. The return flight that am planning to book from Krabi to Bangkok(Suvarnabhumi) lands at 5.20PM. Assuming I cannot do a through check-in, is the timing ok? Should I account for any typical delays that can make this risky?
If the connection is from the same airport (Suvarnabhumi), it should be ok. Just check this airline's (Krabi-BKK) landing time history for the past few days to see if they are good in keeping schedules.
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th August 2023, 09:25   #220
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The return flight that am planning to book from Krabi to Bangkok(Suvarnabhumi) lands at 5.20PM. Assuming I cannot do a through check-in, is the timing ok? Should I account for any typical delays that can make this risky?
+1 to what vb-san said. Most domestic flights are generally from the other airport so good to reconfirm on that. Duty-free shopping time at departure might be at risk (not that should worry you ).
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2023, 10:02   #221
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
If the connection is from the same airport (Suvarnabhumi), it should be ok. Just check this airline's (Krabi-BKK) landing time history for the past few days to see if they are good in keeping schedules.
Quote:
+1 to what vb-san said. Most domestic flights are generally from the other airport so good to reconfirm on that. Duty-free shopping time at departure might be at risk (not that should worry you ).
Thanks. Yes this is to Suvarnabhumi only. Checked few days performance. Seems to be landing by 6pm in most cases.
Old 15th August 2023, 10:25   #222
BHPian

Quote:
My return flight from Bangkok is at 9.20PM. I am planning to return from Krabi the same day. The return flight that am planning to book from Krabi to Bangkok(Suvarnabhumi) lands at 5.20PM. Assuming I cannot do a through check-in, is the timing ok? Should I account for any typical delays that can make this risky?
We are planning a trip to Bangkok and Phuket in October, and I have the same concern. I’m thinking about flying to Bangkok by noon and then taking the 9:20 PM flight from Bangkok to Bangalore. Although four hours should ideally be okay, I’m not comfortable. Especially because once our 4pm flight was delayed until 7pm due to a mechanical failure. The flight was about to take off when they cancelled it and changed the planes. Therefore, I’m considering flying to Bangkok around noon to allow some extra time in case something goes wrong.
robincsamuel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2023, 10:40   #223

Guys,

All set here for the Thailand trip covering Pattaya (2N) and Bangkok (3N) along with better half. Departure on 22nd evening from Bangalore.

Anybody visited Ayutthaya and Chao Phraya dinner cruise without prior booking or is it best to book through Klook / Getyourguide? Any pointers how to reach Ayutthaya in bus from Bangkok?

Regards,
Old 18th August 2023, 14:31   #224
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev2Serenity View Post
Chao Phraya dinner cruise without prior booking or is it best to book through Klook / Getyourguide?
When I was there in Aug last year, there was a huge crowd waiting on their turn for Chao Phraya cruise. There is usually a waiting of 2-2.5 hours before you get to the boat. Almost every tourist was part of some travel group. No one knew which boat to board and at what time. All were just following the instructions of their tour guide.

Therefore, I don’t think it’s worth going there without a prior booking.
MyLife_MyCar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2023, 16:27   #225
BHPian

Has anyone been to Thailand in a large group? I'll be traveling with my wife's parents, siblings and cousins. We are a group of 8 people.
Wondering how much cash to be carried as Thai rule says 10K per person or 20K per family.
Secondly, does anyone really checks the amount that we carry?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks