Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2023, 11:22   #196
Senior - BHPian

Re: Thailand 101: Advice, Tips, Planning etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post
In one of the travelogue on TBhp, it is mentioned the visa formalities are done at port of entry (Bangkok for you). I am planning next week, same as yours - via Bangkok to Phuket. The issue is there is only one and half hour transit time which may not be enough for VOA.

A question from my side is whether it will rain during next week and spoil the vacation.
Last time I went to Thailand, I took a evisa before my trip. At BKK getting thru immigration was a breeze, literally. Took all of 2 minutes

Let us know your experience on the VOA and time at immigration.
Old 11th July 2023, 12:04   #197
BHPian

Quote:
A question from my side is whether it will rain during next week and spoil the vacation.
Phuket has a tropical weather and rain probability is very high ~ 8 months (March - November). My recent trip in May of 5 days, it rained half a day. But, it could have been all 5 days rain if unlucky. So, it's a bit of lottery!
More details are here: https://www.holiday-weather.com/phuket/averages/

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post

Let us know your experience on the VOA and time at immigration.
I availed facility of e-VOA (e Visa on Arrival) by VFS. It took a day for Visa confirmation to arrive after online application. Had to upload Hotel Confirmation, Flight details and passport scans on VFS Portal. When landed at Phuket Airport (which is very small - means very less crowd), it hardly took few minutes. And no questions. Applications can be made here on VFS Portal : https://thailandevoa.vfsevisa.com/th...ine/home/index

Another plus point of e-VOA is you don't have to fill forms on landing and no need to carry Thai Baht in cash (yes, cash is required for regular Visa on Arrival).
dmplog is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2023, 14:01   #198
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmplog View Post
When landed at Phuket Airport (which is very small - means very less crowd), it hardly took few minutes.
So did you have immigration done at Phuket?
And did you catch connecting flight in Bangkok?
Old 11th July 2023, 14:46   #199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
So did you have immigration done at Phuket?
And did you catch connecting flight in Bangkok?
Yes, we had immigration done at Phuket. And my destination was Phuket itself. There was no Bangkok connection for me.
But, generally Immigration is done at the first port of entry. Which must be selected while applying eVOA.
Old 11th July 2023, 15:25   #200
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, we had immigration done at Phuket. And my destination was Phuket itself. There was no Bangkok connection for me.
Was your departure from Bengaluru? I ask because there seems to be no direct flights to Phuket - all connect either DMK or BKK.
Old 11th July 2023, 17:19   #201
BHPian

Quote:
Was your departure from Bengaluru? I ask because there seems to be no direct flights to Phuket - all connect either DMK or BKK.
Sorry, I should have been clearer! I flew from Singapore into Phuket.
From Bangalore, there was a direct flight from GoAir in May - which doesn't operate anymore.
Old 11th July 2023, 17:46   #202
BHPian

Quote:
From Bangalore, there was a direct flight from GoAir in May - which doesn't operate anymore.
Yes GoAir has stopped and the agent is now in process of booking Mumbai - Phuket for us to avoid the VOA hassle in BKK.
Old 13th July 2023, 13:28   #203
BHPian

Travelling to Phuket and Krabi next week. However heard that getting vegetarian food is a bit of a hassle. Though we are put up in hotels which have breakfast option - where we can check with them for vegetarian option, which are the good places in Phuket and Krabi for pure vegetarian food?

In Krabi we are put up near Ao Nang beach and in Phuket near Patong beach

Last edited by AltoLXI : 13th July 2023 at 13:32.
Old 13th July 2023, 13:54   #204
BHPian

Quote:
where we can check with them for vegetarian option, which are the good places in Phuket and Krabi for pure vegetarian food?

During our recent trip to Phuket, we never had issues with finding Veg food. Our accommodation was at Karon beach, bit veg food should be accessible almost anywhere. All the joints can prepare you veg version of any Chicken dish readily.
We relished Veg Thai Curries and Mango Sticky rice a lot. Just ask the restaurant waiters.
Old 13th July 2023, 14:40   #205
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Travelling to Phuket and Krabi next week. However heard that getting vegetarian food is a bit of a hassle. Though we are put up in hotels which have breakfast option - where we can check with them for vegetarian option, which are the good places in Phuket and Krabi for pure vegetarian food?

Getting vegetarian food is not much of a hassle. Quite a few restaurants serve vegetarian dishes, platters and have quite a few options for the veggies. I visited Phuket in 2019 and did not have any issues with food.

There are a couple of Indian restaurants too in the Patong beach area which are pretty good (just in case you don't find the veg options you're looking for).
n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2023, 15:22   #206
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Getting vegetarian food is not much of a hassle. Quite a few restaurants serve vegetarian dishes, platters and have quite a few options for the veggies. I visited Phuket in 2019 and did not have any issues with food.
Just a couple of points on the vegetarian options, especially for the strict vegetarians:
  1. Ask specifically if the vegetarian option you ordered have fish sauce as an ingredient. I still remember the expression on my ex-colleague's face when he discovered that the wonderful no-meat Pad Thai had fish sauce in it
  2. When ordering vegetarian food, good to mention no fish, no egg. For some local vendors, anything without meat is vegetarian.
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2023, 10:50   #207
Distinguished - BHPian

Couple of basic questions. Planning a week's trip to Thailand in September 2nd half. Have decided to spend couple of days in Bangkok.

Confused on a 2nd destination. Will the weather still be good enough to hit Krabi/Phuket/Koh Samui Island? Or will the rains have taken hold already?

If it is still ok, which is the best among above(or any other options). This is a family trip with interests around things like scuba diving, adventure sports, preferably a less crowded place.

The other option suggested was Chiang Mai which seems to be a good one.
Old 9th August 2023, 14:58   #208
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Couple of basic questions. Planning a week's trip to Thailand in September 2nd half. Have decided to spend couple of days in Bangkok.

Confused on a 2nd destination. Will the weather still be good enough to hit Krabi/Phuket/Koh Samui Island? Or will the rains have taken hold already?

If it is still ok, which is the best among above(or any other options). This is a family trip with interests around things like scuba diving, adventure sports, preferably a less crowded place.

The other option suggested was Chiang Mai which seems to be a good one.
Weather should be good in any of the locations listed above. Both Krabi and Phuket will be pretty crowded. Not sure about Koh Samui.

I heard Chiang Mai is good, with cooler temperature. Another option to consider is Hua Hin, which is like 3-4 hours by car from Bangkok.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2023, 15:08   #209
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Couple of basic questions. Planning a week's trip to Thailand in September 2nd half.
Do note, Chiang Mai is a great place if one is looking to spend time in a quaint valley town surrounded by mountains; many treks and other outdoor activity (waterfalls, etc.) options within a short distance. Plus many gorgeous Buddhist temples that don't see the crowds mainland Thailand gets. You'll see relatively lesser crowd there for sure.

Krabi & Koh Samui are great options for sea based activities. But you'll definitely see crowds all around the year at these places; but hopefully if you plan these places on weekdays, the impact will be lesser.

No concrete view on weather for September - I have been to Krabi in April and Chiang Mai in June; and it was hot as hell during both places. So some rain would be good in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Another option to consider is Hua Hin, which is like 3-4 hours by car from Bangkok.
Hua Hin is also train-accessible. You get decent options - sleeper / chair car (ac & non-ac) from Bangkok upto Surat Thani (which is the point to get off for Krabi & Koh Samui). It's a wonderful experience taking trains in Thailand and quite affordable (equivalent to Indian train prices).

Last edited by ninjatalli : 9th August 2023 at 15:25.
ninjatalli is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th August 2023, 07:14   #210
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Hua Hin is also train-accessible. You get decent options - sleeper / chair car (ac & non-ac) from Bangkok upto Surat Thani (which is the point to get off for Krabi & Koh Samui). It's a wonderful experience taking trains in Thailand and quite affordable (equivalent to Indian train prices).
Yes, but for convenience sake, I arranged a car transfer through the hotel. If I remember correctly, one-way was around THB 2500. Onward was a Pajero Sport, and return was in a Fortuner.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks