Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2022, 17:24   #151
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Thailand 101: Advice, Tips, Planning etc.

Question for folks in BLR:

Friend is heading on a Thailand trip and needs Thai Bhat. Any leads to get this, this week ?

TIA !
Old 25th October 2022, 18:04   #152
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post

Friend is heading on a Thailand trip and needs Thai Bhat. Any leads to get this, this week ?

TIA !
I used www.orientexchange.in (GMaps) to get forex back in June. Their rates were pretty good and by-the-book processes followed. They take about ~20 mins if you visit their office; else a day's advance needed if you want the forex to be delivered at home. Xerox copies of passport & tickets required.

Pro Tip: Ask your friend to carry USD and limited amount of Bhat/THB. The double exchange INR -> USD (here) & USD -> THB (there) still works out better than INR -> THB. You get best conversion rates if you carry 100$ notes. Everyone accepts $ in Thailand, any and all denominations. Any excess $ can be easily converted to INR once back or saved for later trips.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 25th October 2022 at 18:10.
ninjatalli is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th October 2022, 18:11   #153
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Ask your friend to carry USD and limited amount of Bhat/THB. The double exchange INR -> USD (here) & USD -> THB (there) still works out better than INR -> THB.
Thanks, Ninja. Is this true even with the current higher price for the USD? But if I check the conversion rates online, there seems no advantage.

Also, is it true that visitors need to show 10k Thai Bhat in cash at the visa counter? Or will USD be fine?

Last edited by Axe77 : 27th October 2022 at 08:52. Reason: Minor formatting edits.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2022, 19:02   #154
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
THanks, Ninja. Is this true even with the current higher price for the USD ? But if check the conversion rates online, there seems no advantage.
No idea; but considering that someone had experienced similar over a year ago, I'd say it would apply now too. Anyway it's an option they can choose to skip. I preferred it coz I find having extra USD always handy for the next trip and don't have to worry about budgeting the forex (and risk ATM fees, etc.).

Quote:
also, is it true that visitors need to show 10k Thai Bhat in cash at the visa counter ? Or will USD be fine ?
USD works just fine. We carried just enough THB (~5k total for 2ppl) for the on-arrival visa & initial travel.
ninjatalli is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th October 2022, 19:26   #155
BHPian

Quote:

TIA !
Vaayu International Forex Services, they gave me the best price for Thai Baht and IND Rupaiyah. They even deliver to doorstep. They are at Vijaya Nagar I guess.
2500cc is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2022, 12:38   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500cc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZT View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post

Quoting you guys since I am looking for guidance for my visit to BKK for 2 days for some work. I see that most of the items available in BKK are same as here and hence not much shopping to do as such.

But, I was wondering if there is something that I can pick for kids (Age 5 and 2)? Some good toys there either better quality or better price than India. Or perhaps better variety?

W.r.t. money, I plan to carry both - some THB and USD for convenience. Thanks for the guidance on the same.
Old 27th October 2022, 12:48   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilch View Post
Quoting you guys since I am looking for guidance for my visit to BKK for 2 days for some work. I see that most of the items available in BKK are same as here and hence not much shopping to do as such.

But, I was wondering if there is something that I can pick for kids (Age 5 and 2)? Some good toys there either better quality or better price than India. Or perhaps better variety?

W.r.t. money, I plan to carry both - some THB and USD for convenience. Thanks for the guidance on the same.
Siam Paragon and MBK you can go to for something unique for your kids. They have stuff that you won't find back home, both soft toys and traditional dress.
San Phrangmung is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th October 2022, 12:54   #158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Phrangmung View Post
Siam Paragon and MBK you can go to for something unique for your kids. They have stuff that you won't find back home, both soft toys and traditional dress.
Thanks San Phrangmung. These places look close to where I am staying

Will check. There seem to be Toys4U and other Toy stores in these malls.
sunilch is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2022, 18:58   #159
BHPian

Quote:
When I was at BKK in May, there was huge sale of toys (mostly RC cars) at the ground most level of Terminal21 at Sukhumvit. I, myself bought some for my niece and they were of excellent quality compared to what we get in India.

Also, every time I go to BKK, I pick up lot of clothes for kids and wife from Terminal 21, though they are bit expensive they last really long and we may not even have seen those designs/patterns here.

Apart from toys and clothes, I also pick up quite a few decorative items for home , lights, filters, supplements for my aquarium (Chathuchak Market).

Hope this helps.
2500cc is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2022, 01:18   #160
BANNED

I’ve always felt guilty about the few leather products I wear - be it shoes, wallet or belt. I switched to those nylon braided belts with only the last 6 inches or so being fake leather but they don’t hold around might waist as well as pure leather belts. So anyways many years back I got a crocodile skin wallet while on a trip to Pattaya and some how I am a little guilt-free. Of course not ethical to be clear. Just guilt-free after having watched 100s of those videos of the ruthlessly cold-blooded monsters of the rivers preying on all kinds of wild life in river-crossings across Africa. Does not weigh on my conscience like leather from brutally slaughtered cattle. That’s all - no other merit to it. These are from farmed crocodiles in Pattaya (farmed like broiler chicken is farmed).

Coming to the quality of the leather - it is outstanding! Way better than any leather I’ve ever touched and felt, durable and confidence inspiring that this wallet is going to last me 20 years or more (wallet is already 7-8 years and still almost as good as new!). And IIRC cost me just 400 thb! ( better pricing than Indian leather goods). So I am now looking for a crocodile skin leather belt and shoes as well. Once in a lifetime purchase as I expect them to last a few decades. Thing is I don’t remember where I purchased the item from. So if anyone knows a good place to buy crocodile skin goods from wallets to keychain holders to belts to shoes at a reasonable price, please post here.

And yes - if equally good choices exist in nylon or other material I would definitely opt for it. But I haven’t seen a better option in more than decades. Belt shoes and wallet are the only animal products I ever use and usually buy once per decade (apart from eating non-veg).

Last edited by Ragul : 28th October 2022 at 01:27.
Ragul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2022, 16:32   #161
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I plan to carry both - some THB and USD for convenience. Thanks for the guidance on the same.
Regarding shopping, I felt there is a slight advantage in cost on buying from there. Especially if the purchases are more and then you can claim VAT refund.

Regarding currency - For 2 days trip (hence expenses less) I would suggest to directly withdraw from ATM using your debit card.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2022, 16:07   #162
BHPian

If you are visiting BKK and have time visit the outlet malls.
They have a great collection at discounted prices.

If you are going only for 2 day trip and have a good credit card (less forex fees) directly swipe the card.

With the currency fluctuations THB / SGD / non standard currencies have a big spread and you end up losing money on both sides of the transaction.
dvl666 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st November 2022, 00:16   #163

Hi bHpians,

This post is really helpful to get an idea about the Thailand trip. Many many thanks to all who had provided some valuable insight. I need few suggestion/information as I am planning to visit Thailand as part of a business trip(1st week of December) where I will take my wife and kid too. So at first I have 2-3 days in Bangkok, so what are the places I can visit in and around Bangkok ? I think one day I need to be in Bangkok safari world as my kid wants to see the Dolphins and sea lions etc, so in another day what are the places we can visit ? and how about visiting Erawan national park(it will take one full day) ? is it worth ?
Then next we are planning to visit Phuket and stay there for 3-4 nights. Any suggestion of some good beach resorts(preferable with private beach kind off)? and also in Phuket, there are options for many islands tours like Similian island, phi phi island day trip and many more, so which one we can take where we can enjoy as a family and visit some pristine islands and all ? And also it will be really great if anyone has suggestion for any reliable boat/tour operator who organize those island tour? and is it necessary to book those island tour well in advance or we can arrange it after reaching Phuket ?
Your valuable suggestion will be great help to me. Thanks in advance.
Old 1st November 2022, 11:57   #164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karsouvik View Post
Hi bHpians,
Then next we are planning to visit Phuket and stay there for 3-4 nights. Any suggestion of some good beach resorts(preferable with private beach kind off)? and also in Phuket, there are options for many islands tours like Similian island, phi phi island day trip and many more, so which one we can take where we can enjoy as a family and visit some pristine islands and all ? And also it will be really great if anyone has suggestion for any reliable boat/tour operator who organize those island tour? and is it necessary to book those island tour well in advance or we can arrange it after reaching Phuket ?
Your valuable suggestion will be great help to me. Thanks in advance.
Phuket has quite a large number of hotels, apartments, etc so you can choose as per your budget & preference of beach, area, etc.

You can do one day tours
a) to phi-phi, james bond island, etc
b) to mountainside (phang-ngs) for elephant safari, flying fox, atv & white water rafting
*For both day tours always opt for options which will pick you from the hotel, arrange for your food & drop you back.

If you want adrenaline rush you can do wakeboarding, paintball, etc.

We have a local contact in Kathu, phuket.

My friend had recently been to Phuket. He had stayed at Double Tree Banthai. We had booked the trip in advance since we wanted to be sure on food. You can book it once you are in Thailand too.
dvl666 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st November 2022, 17:10   #165

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highflyer View Post
PHI PHI ISLANDS-
FOR-
1. It is idyllic paradise. People go there for few hours from nearby mainland and leave yearning for more. Why not stay right there and soak it in completely?
Hi,

Your post really inspire me to consider Phi Phi island as an option to stay. It seems really good as Ko Phi Phi island, Bamboo island all are not far and can be done in long tail boat I guess and the beaches are comparatively pristine and secluded compare to Phuket. Can you please suggest which resort you booked there and how you arrange/booked the ferry from Phuket to Phi Phi from India?

Last edited by libranof1987 : 1st November 2022 at 18:11. Reason: Trimming quoted post. Kindly quote only relevant sections of the post.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks