Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2023, 13:19   #226

Re: Thailand 101: Advice, Tips, Planning etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLife_MyCar View Post
Wondering how much cash to be carried as Thai rule says 10K per person or 20K per family.
Just returned from my Thailand trip. It is 10K per person / 20K per family. Even though we were 2 people, 20K is the minimum limit for family. Visa fee of 2200 Baht per person to be carried separately in addidition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLife_MyCar View Post
Secondly, does anyone really checks the amount that we carry?
Nobody checked mine though! They just asked for Visa fee and documents.
Rev2Serenity is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2023, 12:02   #227
Distinguished - BHPian

Understand that insurance is no longer mandatory, but planning to take. Is there any recommended provider to take it from- I see tons of options online from everyone.
Old 7th September 2023, 09:15   #228
BHPian

Hello Friends,

Planning to visit Bangkok for 3 days with Family, me wife and my kids who are 20 years old. Is it a good time to visit Bangkok from 15 to 20 September? I was told it is peak rainy season now. Was planning to visit Pattaya for 3 days.

Also pls advice on places to visit in and around Pattaya and a good place to stay.
Old 7th September 2023, 10:33   #229
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Understand that insurance is no longer mandatory, but planning to take. Is there any recommended provider to take it from- I see tons of options online from everyone.
Always take all forms of insurance from a local agent who can do legwork for you in case of emergency.

Always go for the country specific high value cover like 5L USD and add extra days in return as per your slab. Eg you will get 7 day slab so add 3-4 days to your return & take full slab.

Tata, bajaj & hdfc are trusted names.
dvl666 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2023, 21:37   #230
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinukm View Post
Hello Friends,

Planning to visit Bangkok for 3 days with Family, me wife and my kids who are 20 years old. Is it a good time to visit Bangkok from 15 to 20 September? I was told it is peak rainy season now. Was planning to visit Pattaya for 3 days.

Also pls advice on places to visit in and around Pattaya and a good place to stay.
You'll be done with Pattaya within a couple of days. Beach ain't that great, its not exactly a family destination, the sanctuary of truth is worth seeing though. Ideally, go for the day and get back
ajmat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th September 2023, 19:30   #231
Senior - BHPian

Hi team, going to Thailand for a couple of weeks in Nov/Dec. Flight is Thai airways Bangalore BKK Phuket. My question is where would be my first point of entry? BKK or Phuket? This is extremely important for applying for eVOA.
Anyone who has transited thru BKK en route to any other destination within Thailand could clarify. Thanks.
Old 14th September 2023, 14:51   #232
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
Hi team, going to Thailand for a couple of weeks in Nov/Dec. Flight is Thai airways Bangalore BKK Phuket. My question is where would be my first point of entry? BKK or Phuket? This is extremely important for applying for eVOA.
Anyone who has transited thru BKK en route to any other destination within Thailand could clarify. Thanks.
You'll need to get VoA at BKK.
Old 9th October 2023, 09:55   #233
Senior - BHPian

Read about this site DU Digital Global "Indian travellers to Thailand can choose between sticker visa, visa-on-arrival and e-visa options. Now, if you are applying for sticker visa, you will have to apply to DU Digital Global that, effective October 1, is managing and submitting visa applications for Thailand in India.

Thailand visa-on-arrival and e-visa are costlier than the sticker visa. The fee for a single-entry visa is INR 2,500 while E-visa is priced at INR 6,820 and visa on arrival costs INR 4,500 for single entry.

Has anyone gone thru this website. Their office is on Dickenson road Bangalore.

Link https://www.moneycontrol.com/news/tr...-11496381.html
Old 9th October 2023, 11:40   #234
BHPian

Folks, need your invaluable advice.

Parents (65 years+) and I are travelling to Thailand for about 8 nights.

Confused if 2 nights in Ao Nang Krabi and 3 nights in Patong Phuket will be too much of the same e.g. one day boat excursion in Krabi and another day in Phuket? Or are they having enough of difference?

Is the bioluminescent plankton thing as good as in some videos? Heard it can be done either from Phuket or Krabi?

Does it make sense to spend less time in Phuket + Krabi and do a quick dash to Ayuthaya, Chiang Mai or Hua Hin?

Note that parents are not planning to snorkel, but were interested in Phuket or Krabi after lots of social circle discussions.

Parents have been to Sinagpore, Bhutan and Europe group tour. But they now have some knee issues and so cannot do too much climbing e.g. to Tiger Temple in Krabi.
Old 9th October 2023, 19:42   #235
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidban85 View Post
Folks, need your invaluable advice.

Parents (65 years+) and I are travelling to Thailand for about 8 nights.

Confused if 2 nights in Ao Nang Krabi and 3 nights in Patong Phuket will be too much of the same e.g. one day boat excursion in Krabi and another day in Phuket? Or are they having enough of difference?
Is the bioluminescent plankton thing as good as in some videos? Heard it can be done either from Phuket or Krabi?

Does it make sense to spend less time in Phuket + Krabi and do a quick dash to Ayuthaya, Chiang Mai or Hua Hin?

Note that parents are not planning to snorkel, but were interested in Phuket or Krabi after lots of social circle discussions.
I just returned from a trip to Bangkok and Krabi couple of weeks back. Just published a travelogue-Link Here (A long overdue family vacation to Thailand: Bangkok and Krabi)

My comments based on my experience.

Although I did not go to Phuket, both Phukhet and Krabi will be very similar. Phuket will be more crowded and probably has few more places to visit, but from a beach, island tours perspective, I don't see much of a difference. So spending 5 days in both these places maybe way too much especially considering from your parents perspective. If you are not going to be doing too much of the water activities like swimming snorkeling etc. or stepping out to experience the night life, shopping markets etc, you may not find enough to do for 5 days. My family itself had enough of the beaches and swimming after 1 day.

When you say 8 nights, I assume 3 will be in Bangkok and the remaining between Krabi and Phuket. I suggest 3 days in either of Krabi or Phuket and maybe 2 days in Chiang Mai.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2023, 21:40   #236
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidban85 View Post
Chiang Mai is at north end of the country, a good ~700 kms away from Bangkok. Phuket and Krabi are at southern tip of the country, some 800 kms away from Bangkok. Ayutthaya is in the central region. Hua Hin is about midway between Bangkok and Phuket/Krabi.

Pick one or max two cities / regions and plan your itinerary around it. Like @Rajeevraj did Bangkok and Krabi on his week long trip. Else you'll be just hopping from one flight to another during your trip. I would consider Bangkok + Ayuthaya + Hua Hin (with a cab to move around) as one combo. Or Bangkok + Phuket/Krabi as another combo. Or Bangkok + Chiang Mai as a 3rd option.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 9th October 2023 at 21:53.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2023, 09:07   #237
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvl666 View Post
Always take all forms of insurance from a local agent who can do legwork for you in case of emergency.

Always go for the country specific high value cover like 5L USD and add extra days in return as per your slab. Eg you will get 7 day slab so add 3-4 days to your return & take full slab.

Tata, bajaj & hdfc are trusted names.
I'm traveling to Thailand next week and bought insurance (Reliance) along with the air ticket from MakeMyTrip. I'm confused because MakeMyTrip shows insurance options (TATA AIG) even after my purchase. Could you or anyone else please confirm if the insurance I purchased with the ticket is sufficient?

I don't see much difference between the policies, but the confusion is because MakeMyTrip suggested insurance in the first step of flight booking, and I added that. In the final confirmation step, it's recommending an option to add insurance, where it shows TATA. Below are the details of the policy I bought,

Thailand 101: Advice, Tips, Planning etc.-screenshot-20231011-8.59.578239am.png
Old 5th November 2023, 20:07   #238
BHPian

Indian tourists can now travel to Thailand without a visa. Here is the link

Few days back Sri Lanka also did the same for Indian tourists.

The news article is not very clear.

Does it means that I can simply buy an air ticket and land in Phuket with my passport only?
Does it need online applications or prior hotel bookings or travel insurance or any such?

If some one has more knowledge on this please share.
Old 5th November 2023, 20:25   #239
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordday View Post
Indian tourists can now travel to Thailand without a visa.
There is no need of a visa for Indian passport holders travelling to Thailand from next month till May 2024 as per the article. I would take that as being valid from 1st December, 2023 to 31st May, 2024 as per this notification.

Best way forward would be to contact/call any reputed travel agent and get clarity before planning a trip.
Old 15th November 2023, 11:07   #240
BHPian

Planning a Christmas trip to Thailand, will land in Bangkok and head over to Phuket after a day. I have 4 full days in Phuket, should I plan for a day or two at Krabi and/or Phi Phi island or is it Ok to use Phuket as the base and do Krabi and Phi Phi?

Also any suggestions around hotels & activity bookings in Phuket?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks