Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2015, 06:54   #181
BHPian

Re: Travelogue: Bangalore to Kolkata

Traveling to Kolkata from Bangalore tomorrow, will be back next week. I don't intend to cross 80-90 kmph at any point of time. Planning to take the chennai route for GQ.

Day 1: Start at 6 am, reach Vijaywada by 6 p.m.
Day 2: Start at 6-7 am, reach Bhubaneswar by evening
Day 3: Start at 6 am, reach kolkata by noon.

Please advise road conditions, and also advise tips at Ichapuram border and Jaleswar border. Could we bypass the border at Jaleswar through town (route map). It would be helpful to know if they are still asking for the 800 road tax at Jaleswar border. How much time we should keep at the borders

Last edited by sumannandy : 12th January 2015 at 06:56.
Old 1st July 2015, 22:41   #182

Bangalore-Kolkata via Hyderabad/Nagpur/Sambalpur

Friends,

I am planning to travel from Bangalore to Kolkata and back, on my Ertiga Diesel, accompanied by family, but I will be the lone driver. Have been carrying this dream for a long time, recently re-ignited by Piku's travel from Delhi to Kolkata. Have some nice vacations around Puja time, it is now or never for me.

I need advice on two directions, here goes:

Seeking Advice - #1 >>
Most of the posts in this forum (viz. akroy - Alto - 2006, MadTiger - Nano - 2013) are about the regular route (via Tirupati/Vijaywada/Vizag). At least in one direction, I intend to explore Bangalore-Hyderabad-Nagpur-Raipur-Sambalpur route. This is where I need a lot of advice.

In forward direction, I am thinking something like this:
a) Day 1 - Bangalore to Hyderabad
--> good connectivity, no more Telengana related disturbances, anything that I should worry about?
b) Day 2 - Hyderabad to Nagpur
--> from various posts, mostly good roads except small stretches. Wondering whether it is better to drive up to Raipur instead?
c) Day 3 - Nagpur to Sambalpur &
d) Day 4 - Sambalpur to Kolkata
--> really need expert advice - about road condition and safety around the Chhattisgarh/Jharkhand region. While I will do my own research, would appreciate inputs from people well versed with this route/area. Though not common for Bangalore-Kolkata travelers, I believe people traveling from Mumbai to Kolkata take this route. I really need help on this before I can make up my mind - haven't been to central parts of the country too often, and never on car.

Seeking Advice - #2 >>
Return direction - the posts in this and other forums (starting from 2006 or so) speak positively about the entire stretch - road conditions and all that. I am hoping in last 9 years (post GQ), overall situations have improved, but specific stretches may have problems. My main concern is in the Kolkata-Vizag stretch. Ideally, would like to make it in one day, but that would be a bit of a stretch. In that case, what would be the best place for the first night halt? I guess day 2 I can reach Vijaywada, and namma Bangalore on Day 3. Can the experts throw some light - does this plan look OK?

I will return with more queries as I make progress with prep work - about specific stop overs, long drives, specifics about the car etc. But first I need to fix up the routes, possibly make bookings in the hotels to stay.

Thanks in advance

Abhirup
Old 2nd July 2015, 11:36   #183
BHPian

Re: Bangalore-Kolkata via Hyderabad/Nagpur/Sambalpur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhirup View Post
My main concern is in the Kolkata-Vizag stretch. Ideally, would like to make it in one day, but that would be a bit of a stretch. In that case, what would be the best place for the first night halt? I guess day 2 I can reach Vijaywada, and namma Bangalore on Day 3. Can the experts throw some light - does this plan look OK?

I will return with more queries as I make progress with prep work - about specific stop overs, long drives, specifics about the car etc. But first I need to fix up the routes, possibly make bookings in the hotels to stay.

Thanks in advance

Abhirup
Abhirup,

Kolkata-Vizag is easily doable in 1 day, as a matter of fact, if you start by 6am from Kol, you will safely reach Vizag by 7-8pm max. The roads are brilliant!!

In Vizag, you could stay at "Haritha Resort" at Rushikonda beach or "Hotel Haritha" at MVP colony, beach road Vizag. Both of these places are managed by AP Tourism and are clean and affordable. Amongst the 2 I would recommend the Haritha Resort, ask for room at the higher floors as you would be amazed with the view of the beach from those rooms!
The other good thing about these Hotel's are that they are just off the highway and you dont have to go deep into the city and take all that deviation!

Vizag-Bangalore is a no brainer! Get off the GQ at "Naidupeta" and then cut across Tirupati and then straight down to Bangalore. Roads will be bad once you cross Tirupati, till Kolar I guess! Can't clearly remember, but yeah, once you hit Kolar, rest is a breeze.

You could PM me if you want any info regarding the CCU-BLR via the GQ route!

Cheers!
ssjr0498 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2015, 22:15   #184
BHPian

Quote:
In forward direction, I am thinking something like this:
a) Day 1 - Bangalore to Hyderabad
--> good connectivity, no more Telengana related disturbances, anything that I should worry about?
b) Day 2 - Hyderabad to Nagpur
--> from various posts, mostly good roads except small stretches. Wondering whether it is better to drive up to Raipur instead?
c) Day 3 - Nagpur to Sambalpur &
d) Day 4 - Sambalpur to Kolkata
4 lane conversion is in progress between Raipur and Sambalpur and road conditions range from bad to worse. Budget 6 to 7 hrs for this stretch. Hence it is better to do this in the morning time. So you can target to reach Raipur on Day 2. Since the road condition is excellent in the Bangalore-Adilabad section, instead of stopping at Hyderabad you can target Nirmal for the night halt. This will help you to reach Raipur on Day 2 comfortably. Refer to this post for the hotel info at Nirmal.
Landkruzer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2015, 14:05   #185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjr0498 View Post
You could PM me if you want any info regarding the CCU-BLR via the GQ route!

Cheers!
Can I also take up that offer and PM you for some questions on the CCU-BLR drive.
Old 3rd July 2015, 14:32   #186
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yosbert View Post
Can I also take up that offer and PM you for some questions on the CCU-BLR drive.
Sure! You're most welcome! I'll be happy to help! Sharing knowledge/experiences is what this forum is for!
Old 5th July 2015, 20:05   #187

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjr0498 View Post
Kolkata-Vizag is easily doable in 1 day, as a matter of fact, if you start by 6am from Kol, you will safely reach Vizag by 7-8pm max. The roads are brilliant!!
ssjr0498,
Thanks a ton for your assurance... if I can really make it to Vizag in one day, I might be able to spend a day at the city. However, 880km is still a steep target - I will probably have a plan B for stopover somewhere around Cuttack or Brahmapur. Will circle back to you as preparations progress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landkruzer View Post
4 lane conversion is in progress between Raipur and Sambalpur and road conditions range from bad to worse. Budget 6 to 7 hrs for this stretch. Hence it is better to do this in the morning time. So you can target to reach Raipur on Day 2. Since the road condition is excellent in the Bangalore-Adilabad section, instead of stopping at Hyderabad you can target Nirmal for the night halt. This will help you to reach Raipur on Day 2 comfortably. Refer to this post for the hotel info at Nirmal.
Landkruzer,
I see your point of driving further up instead of stopping at Hyderabad on Day 1 and allow more time for the 'not-so-good' stretch.

Apart from Nirmal, would you suggest any other stopover - like Adilabad? Would also appreciate suggestion on hotels in Nirmal/Adilabad, Raipur and Sambalpur - in particular hotels close to the highways so that not much need would have to be spent moving in and out of the road.

In other threads, I saw suggestions of avoiding NH6, and going via Nuapada/Padampur. Would you suggest that? Also, any thoughts on safety on the roads in this stretch - in particular if there is a need to drive till 8PM or 9PM, do you see that as a concern?

Thanks a ton!

-- Abhirup

Last edited by ampere : 5th July 2015 at 20:32. Reason: Back to back posts merged; Removed bulk of quoted post
Old 5th July 2015, 20:41   #188
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In other threads, I saw suggestions of avoiding NH6, and going via Nuapada/Padampur. Would you suggest that? Also, any thoughts on safety on the roads in this stretch - in particular if there is a need to drive till 8PM or 9PM, do you see that as a concern?
Sambalpur - Cuttack (outskirts) NH42. In preference to Sambalpur - Kharagpur via NH6.

If you start in the morning, there should be no problems.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2015, 14:25   #189
BHPian

Quote:
Apart from Nirmal, would you suggest any other stopover - like Adilabad? Would also appreciate suggestion on hotels in Nirmal/Adilabad, Raipur and Sambalpur - in particular hotels close to the highways so that not much need would have to be spent moving in and out of the road.
You will only find basic accommodation at Adilabad. For accommodation on NH6 stretch, please post your query in the Bangalore-Raipur or Mumbai-Kolkata threads.

Last edited by Landkruzer : 6th July 2015 at 14:52. Reason: Removed repeated words.
Old 16th August 2015, 02:28   #190
BHPian

Motorcycle trip from Bangalore-Asansol(WB)

I am planning for a solo trip from Bangalore to home and back this October on my Pulsar 200NS. I have about 14 days in hand to complete the return journey.
It would be great if someone could advise me on the best routes and stopovers to take. The distance is around 1970 kms on Google Maps. Also, anyone planning a similar trip from Bangalore to any place en route during the 2nd week in October is welcome to join me. Dates are flexible to an extent.

I have the following unanswered questions as of now. Kindly help me out with these:

1. Should I take the route via Ambur(TN) or the one via Anantpur(AP) ?
2. Can my friends track me via GPS signals? Any device/app suggestions?
3. What should be my overnight stops ? I am planning to stop at Visakhapatnam and Bhubaneswar overnight.
4. Is there any stretch that I should avoid and what is the detour?
5. What equipments should I carry especially for such a long ride.
6. Is there any BHPian in Visakhapatnam and Bhubaneswar who can help me get a decent hotel with room for safely parking my bike overnight ?

I am banking on fellow BHPians to help me out with invaluable advice and guidance to successfully complete this 4000 km round trip.
Old 16th August 2015, 23:18   #191
Team-BHP Support

Re: Motorcycle trip from Bangalore-Asansol(WB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anirban001 View Post
I would say neither. The best option would be Bangalore-Tirupathi-Naidupetta - NH5 corridor

Quote:
There are trackers available. Easiest would be if you can set-up your Google+ locations and share it with your friends. You update based on location, can be tracked by your friends.

Quote:
3. What should be my overnight stops ? I am planning to stop at Visakhapatnam and Bhubaneswar overnight.
Possible. But note its near 1000km for Vishakhapatna from Bangalore. It can be quite a stretch on a bike.

Quote:
Not that I am aware off. Good to check with others.

Quote:
See this thread: (Its a long running thread)
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...ong-drive.html
Old 17th August 2015, 00:58   #192
BHPian

There is an app called 'Glympse' on android and windows thru which you can be tracked.

Regards,
Krishna.
kittigadu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2015, 16:37   #193
Senior - BHPian

On whatsapp you could mark your location as you pass any major landmark along the way and friends will know. Glympse is similar, though I have never used it.
Sudipto-S-Team is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2015, 12:01   #194
BHPian

Quote:
I am planning for a solo trip from Bangalore to home and back this October on my Pulsar 200NS. I have about 14 days in hand to complete the return journey.
It would be great if someone could advise me on the best routes and stopovers to take. The distance is around 1970 kms on Google Maps. Also, anyone planning a similar trip from Bangalore to any place en route during the 2nd week in October is welcome to join me. Dates are flexible to an extent.

I have the following unanswered questions as of now. Kindly help me out with these:

6. Is there any BHPian in Visakhapatnam and Bhubaneswar who can help me get a decent hotel with room for safely parking my bike overnight ?

I am banking on fellow BHPians to help me out with invaluable advice and guidance to successfully complete this 4000 km round trip.

I have a few more questions related to the planning of the Bangalore-Asansol ( WB ) motorcycle trip:

7. Is there anything I need to know regarding crossing the Andhra-Orissa border ?
8. What are the essential checks that I should get done on my bike before the trip?
9. How are the road conditions from Bangalore to Tirupathi ?

Last edited by Anirban001 : 18th August 2015 at 12:15.
Old 18th August 2015, 15:33   #195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The best route would be Bangalore-Chittoor-Tirupati-Naidupeta-Vijayawada-Vizag-Bhubaneshwar-Kharagpur-Bankura-Asansol.

Another alternative route is Bangalore-Hyd-Vijayawada that about 150 km more , but allows you to take the Vijayawada bypass road https://goo.gl/maps/8qSPp and avoid the messy Benz Circle.

I would recommend 2 stops on the way.

Budget stopover options would be the APTDC and OTDC hotels. Vijayawada APTDC Punnami - right next to the Krishna is beautiful place. Very close to the Kanaka Durga Temple. APTDC Baruva is also a good place close to Srikakulam.

NH60 from Kharagpur was in good shape but I don't know the latest conditions after the heavy rains. Bangalore-Tirupati road conditions are details in this thread.

Last edited by sdp1975 : 18th August 2015 at 15:38.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks