Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2017, 19:58   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: History, Sand, Hills & Forests - Our Rajasthan chapter from Kolkata in a Toyota Etios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayata View Post
Hi Samba, one of our relative is planning to drive till Rajasthan during the Durga Puja Holidays. But his son's school will reopen in just 5 to 6 days after the Puja . So including the Durga Puja he has around 9-10 days to spare. He will be driving an I20 petrol. Can you please suggest an itinerary for this time span? He will only prefer day drive.
Rajasthan in 10 days from Kolkata will be hectic.
Still let me give a try-

Day 1- Kolkata - Kanpur (16 hours)
Day 2- Kanpur - Jaipur (10 hours)
Day 3- Visit Nahargar Fort and Amber fort from 9am to 3pm and drive to Jodhpur. Reach Jodhpur by 9pm.
Day 4- Visit Meherangarh Fort in morning and drive to Jaisalmer. Reach Jaisalmer by evening.
Day 5- Visit Laungewala & Tanot in day and Sam sand dunes during sunset.
Day 6- Jaisalmer to Udaipur (Approximately 9 hours drive)
Day 7- Udaipur Sightseeing (Visit Fateh sagar lake, City palace and lake Pichola)
Day 8- Udaipur to Kanpur via Kota and Jhansi (13 hours)
Day 9- Kanpur - Kolkata (16 hours)
Day 10 Buffer (Use the buffer day as per requirement).

Last edited by Samba : 23rd May 2017 at 20:11.
Samba is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2017, 20:55   #62
BHPian

Re: History, Sand, Hills & Forests - Our Rajasthan chapter from Kolkata in a Toyota Etios

@ Samba - Beautiful photography - Pictures looks awesome !! Hope you had great time !!
How do you manage to stay away from work for 2 weeks ;-)
virgovencat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2017, 21:03   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgovencat View Post
@ Samba - Beautiful photography - Pictures looks awesome !! Hope you had great time !!
How do you manage to stay away from work for 2 weeks ;-)
Thanks, i plan one longish travel each year and for that i plan to arrange my leaves from the past one year! One little advantage or rather disadvantage what ever you may say, i have my own business so may be it helps a bit despite some loss on the financial ground!

Last edited by Samba : 29th May 2017 at 21:07.
Old 3rd July 2017, 17:16   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
Rajasthan in 10 days from Kolkata will be hectic.
Still let me give a try-

Day 1- Kolkata - Kanpur (16 hours)
Day 2- Kanpur - Jaipur (10 hours)
Day 3- Visit Nahargar Fort and Amber fort from 9am to 3pm and drive to Jodhpur. Reach Jodhpur by 9pm.
Day 4- Visit Meherangarh Fort in morning and drive to Jaisalmer. Reach Jaisalmer by evening.
Day 5- Visit Laungewala & Tanot in day and Sam sand dunes during sunset.
Day 6- Jaisalmer to Udaipur (Approximately 9 hours drive)
Day 7- Udaipur Sightseeing (Visit Fateh sagar lake, City palace and lake Pichola)
Day 8- Udaipur to Kanpur via Kota and Jhansi (13 hours)
Day 9- Kanpur - Kolkata (16 hours)
Day 10 Buffer (Use the buffer day as per requirement).
A perfect routemap. However 10 days Rajasthan will be too difficult from Kolkata. I can suggest Sayatada for Uttrakhand trip in 10 days which can be delightful.

Last edited by Zappo : 17th July 2017 at 12:24. Reason: As requested
SVK Rider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2017, 02:20   #65

Great TL Samba!!! I thoroughly enjoyed it and it felt as I was Travelling alongside you. The picture that you took of the two kids while driving to Longewala was mesmerizing.

On another front, I myself am going on a road trip around Rajasthan. It would be helpful if you let me know about the road condition along the stretches on which you have been.

Part 1 - Jaipur to Pushkar
Part 2 - Pushkar to Jodhpur.
Part 3 - Jodhpur to Jaisalmer.
Part 4 - Jaisalmer to Tanot/Longewala/BP609.
Part 5 - Jaisalmer to Mount Abu/ Kumbhalgarh
Part 6 - Mount Abu/Kumbhalgarh to Udaipur
Part 7 - Udaipur to Chittorgarh
Part 8 - Chittorgarh to Bhainsrorgarh
Part 9 - Bhainsrorgarh to Kota
Part 10 - Kota to Jaipur.
rajarshi.sarker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2017, 19:44   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajarshi.sarker View Post
Great TL Samba!!! I thoroughly enjoyed it and it felt as I was Travelling alongside you. The picture that you took of the two kids while driving to Longewala was mesmerizing.
Thanks a ton.

Quote:
On another front, I myself am going on a road trip around Rajasthan. It would be helpful if you let me know about the road condition along the stretches on which you have been.
I have not been to Pushkar but i have crossed Ajmeer on the way to Jodhpur. Road is excellent. Few days back one of my Bhpian friend drove till Pushkar and according to him road till Pushkar is good.

Till Beawar road is great. From Beawar you have two options, one is via Pali and other one is via a state highway. The road via pali is considerably longer. I took the road via the state highway. Road was good with occasional rough patches.

Good roads with few works going on for road widening. So you may get few diversions.

Road is absolute breeze with sparse traffic. For BP609 please get the permits done from Jaisalmer. I was refused permits from Tanot Mata mandir.

I have not been to Kumbhalgarh but Jaisalmer to Mount Abu via Barmer roads were good.

Mout Abu to Udaipur road is excellent.

Once again you will get excellent roads.

I don't have any idea on this route.

Once again road is excellent.

Bhpain Blooming flower has done this route earlier this month. I will request him to please pen down his inputs. That may help you to get more latest informations.

Last edited by Samba : 24th July 2017 at 20:08.
Old 25th July 2017, 01:40   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Veteran Bhpian and tourer @Samba already has given most of the relevant inputs for your travel. Nothing much has been changed now since he visited in Feb end. So here goes my two cents regarding your query with latest updates.

Upto Ajmer from Jaipur, you will get four-lane excellent highway. For Ajmer and Pushkar one has to take a slight right from the highway at an entry point. Gmaps may ask you to take service road at extreme left but you won't get any cut section to take right. Stay on the highway and you will get a simple right turn below the flyover.

Inside Ajmer city traffic is dense and parking is hard to find and the same is in Pushkar. For Pushkar you need to traverse through an easy ghat road. The road is wide enough. Pay the toll of Rs.20 at Pushkar entry once. Finding the parking place can be a real pain after that. Many first timer has lost into the maze of swirling traffic when the empty wide road suddenly turns into narrow lanes. Just take the left turn from Gayathri Yoga centre on your right and continue straight crossing a bridge. Finally, at a T-point the left goes to camel-ride point and the right goes to temple and paid private parking (Rs.50). Be aware of touts and fake Pundits (for doing puja) at Pushkar Brahma temple and lake. You can't lose their tail easily.

Part 2 - Pushkar to Jodhpur
Excellent 4 -lane highway. But be aware of stray cow(s) suddenly crossing your path. Very risky stuff! In entire Rajasthan highways I faced it several times.

Part 3 - Jodhpur to Jaisalmer

Not a 4-lane highway. But road condition is excellent sans any kind of abrupt undulations. At some point it may seem like runway. Easy enough to maintain a steady triple digit speed.

May be the best part of your Rajasthan road-trip. Excellent road condition. You will literally run through isolated desert. After Ramgarh (60km from Jaisalmer) the first stop would be at Ghantiwali Mata temple (7km before Tanot). for BP609 take the right side road from Tanot BSF post then left after 100mtr. You will get 3 check-posts consecutively where you have to make entry in their logbooks with i-card detail in to & fro journey. Needless to say, you have to get prior permission from Jaisalmer itself. It may be tricky for general public with no Army or defence link. It is a complete isolated drive devoid of any private car.

There is one road through Gamnewala bypassing Longewala and connecting Jaisalmer directly. When I visited this month, I found it has newly laid tarmac and is wide enough. Entered into the road out of curiosity. True desert view can be experienced within few kilometers of this route. I didn't complete the road and came back to the narrower Longewala road to visit BP638.

Caution: Although Jaisalmer to Tanot road is excellent (even the road upto Sam/Kuldhara) but it has some up-down inclines which may be detrimental for high speed driving.

Here also you will get good roads. From Jaisalmer via Barmer and Raniwada you can reach Mt Abu. Road condition after Raniwada is not that good. But it is manageable. Mt. Abu ghat road from Abu Road stop is beautiful and scenic to drive. One side of the road has concrete fencing causing no risk.

Kumbhalgarh road is also good. Better to reach here before sunset to enjoy it.

Part 6,7 - Mount Abu/Kumbhalgarh to Udaipur to Chittorgarh

Samba has penned down few words which befittingly explain the current status of this route.

I came to know Bhainsrorgarh fort has been into the tourist attraction in Rajasthan, now-a-days. But I have not been to the place. No idea about road condition.

The rest parts of your itinerary: My say is same as Bhpian Samba said.

To summarize, 95% roads I travelled in Rajasthan are absolutely perfect with respect to Indian road standard. Less rainfall and sparse traffic may be ascribed to the great road condition.

Wish you a happy and safe journey ahead.

Blooming Flower
Blooming Flower is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2017, 17:15   #68

Quote:
Thanks a ton.

==========
Bhpain Blooming flower has done this route earlier this month. I will request him to please pen down his inputs. That may help you to get more latest informations.
Thanks a lot Samba!!! Yours and Blooming Flower's comment seems to have provided me with a lot of info.
Old 1st August 2017, 20:03   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blooming Flower View Post
Veteran Bhpian and tourer @Samba already has given most of the relevant inputs for your travel. Nothing much has been changed now since he visited in Feb end. So here goes my two cents regarding your query with latest updates.
Thanks a lot Blooming Flower!!!! This certainly helped a lot as to how I should proceed next week. Sorry for the delay in reply. I was busy in the conundrum called Life.
As you went recently, I have a few more doubts which will help me to patch up more of my trip!!!!

1) Weather conditions. Was it very hot in Western Rajasthan? ( I am also scared of the fact that there are chances of heavy monsoon during that time.)

2) For Pushkar, did you take the turn from Nasirabad or Kishangarh?

3) Any stretch on the road, where Petrol Pumps are going to be a scarcity?

4) Any restaurants or dhabas, you want us to try out during the trip. What was the total cost of expenditure in fooding and toll-taxes?

Mod Note: Please avoid quoting the entire post when responding

Last edited by ampere : 1st August 2017 at 20:24. Reason: trimmed quoted post
rajarshi.sarker is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2017, 20:29   #70
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
This is the old 2-Lane road via Singoli and Begun bypass. One of the older alternatives before the Kota-Chittorh 4-lane came into picture (via Bundi). The fort is now a boutique hotel. It came into picture in the last 10-15 years or so I think.

Quote:
Part 9 - Bhainsrodgarh to Kota
Again an old 2-lane 50km section via Baroli/Kolipura/Borabas. After the fort you can also look at the temples at Baroli. They are about 3 km after the turn from Rawat Bhata bypass.

There are some other places to nearby. But the detours would be way too much.

Last edited by ampere : 1st August 2017 at 20:32.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2017, 12:58   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot Blooming Flower!!!! This certainly helped a lot as to how I should proceed next week. Sorry for the delay in reply. I was busy in the conundrum called Life.
As you went recently, I have a few more doubts which will help me to patch up more of my trip!!!!

1) Weather conditions. Was it very hot in Western Rajasthan? ( I am also scared of the fact that there are chances of heavy monsoon during that time.)

2) For Pushkar, did you take the turn from Nasirabad or Kishangarh?

3) Any stretch on the road, where Petrol Pumps are going to be a scarcity?

4) Any restaurants or dhabas, you want us to try out during the trip. What was the total cost of expenditure in fooding and toll-taxes?

Mod Note: Please avoid quoting the entire post when responding
Here you go:

1. Yes. When I along with my parents went to Rajasthan last month monsoon was in full blast there. Even in Jaisalmer we got sporadic rain and cloudy weather. But the situation in July mid-week in western Part of Rajasthan was worse despite monsoon. The following picture of my MID during journey from Jodhpur to Jaisalmer will fetch you some clear idea.
History, Sand, Hills & Forests - Our Rajasthan chapter from Kolkata in a Toyota Etios-20170710photo00000027.jpg

2. For Ajmer and Pushkar, I took Jaipur-Bagru-Kishangarh route.

3. All the roads have good fuel stations throughout your route in Rajasthan. I always used to refill to the brim whenever the fuel needle was half mark past.

4. Try Dal-Baati-Churma, a vegetarian local Rajasthani cuisine.

In Jaipur, my local friend suggested to try 1135 AD. But couldn't afford to go there due to paucity time. But found good enough reviews of it.

In Ajmer, lots of low cost food-joints offer a gamut of non-veg items but Kayanat Hotel is best and offers fresh food. But the place is very cramped devoid of any ambience and very much crowded. May cause detestation (warning!)

In Jodhpur, On The Rocks offer nice ambience and finest culinary fiesta. It is recommended not to eat at the restaurant in side Meherangarh fort. Food is exorbitantly priced neither suiting the amount nor the quality offered (my personal opinion).

In Jaisalmer, lunch at Milon Dhaba for good chicken gravy items and dinner @ Kafe The Kaku with Laal Maas are must-try.

In Mt. Abu, Nakki lake-side softy ice creams are really delicious.

In Udaipur, you may try Barbeque Nation @Celebration Mall with unlimited buffet with addition of some local Rajasthani items.

In Chittorgarh, Hotel Meera (both veg & non-veg) has best to offer for your relishing taste buds.

Most of the time, we preferred our hotel-stay restaurant for lunch/ dinner and all breakfast were included in our hotel stay tariff; fortunately most of them serve good, healthy food.

Hope, these answer your queries.
Blooming Flower is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2017, 15:45   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blooming Flower View Post
Here you go:

1. Yes. When I along with my parents went to Rajasthan last month monsoon was in full blast there. Even in Jaisalmer we got sporadic rain and cloudy weather. But the situation in July mid-week in western Part of Rajasthan was worse despite monsoon. The following picture of my MID during journey from Jodhpur to Jaisalmer will fetch you some clear idea.

Most of the time, we preferred our hotel-stay restaurant for lunch/ dinner and all breakfast were included in our hotel stay tariff; fortunately most of them serve good, healthy food.

Hope, these answer your queries.
Thanks a lot Blooming Flower. I was planning to eat inside Mehrangarh Fort. But I doubt whether I will go there or not!!!

The temperature on your MID has certainly raised a few concerns now!!! I certainly don't know if the temperature is going to be as high as 46 Degree Celsius or it will rain like cats and dogs!!!!
Old 12th September 2017, 18:46   #73
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks a lot Blooming Flower. I was planning to eat inside Mehrangarh Fort. But I doubt whether I will go there or not!!!
Did you complete this travel? Was curious to know about your findings.

Thanks
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2017, 19:17   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Did you complete this travel? Was curious to know about your findings.

Thanks
Ampere, I did complete my journey around 2 weeks back. Currently, I am in process of jotting down the points and turning it down into a post. I was planning it to add the first part by this weekend. But now, I will try to share my journey ASAP.
Old 14th September 2017, 18:46   #75
GwD
BHPian

Dear Samba,

A truly marvelous account of your trip. People believe that a picture says a thousand words, but yours speak a million. Congratulations.

Did you take the Lucknow-Agra expressway? Where is the entry point from NH2? I will be going to HP this Pujo break and plan to go up to Kanpur on Day 1 just like you.

Thanks and wish you many more trips, each more wonderful than before.
GwD is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks