Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2008, 22:21   #76
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
The reason I asked was because our resort - Riverside, I think it was - told us you can only use a Gypsy to go inside dhikala if you are staying in dhikala. So we didn't have a choice but to use the nasty diesel canter. Seems Riverside was lying.
I did notice the Canter and I think its used for day trips. But I don't see why it should matter if you opt for a Gypsy? Unless ofcourse it was a package deal where a Gypsy would have cost you more as opposed to a seat on the Canter. By the way you can drive into Dhikala in your private car too.
Old 7th May 2008, 22:31   #77
Team-BHP Support

Only if you are staying in Dhikala you can take your own vehicle
Old 7th May 2008, 23:20   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Can I request you to speak with Sumanta Ghosh of Tiger Camp. He will guide you. His number is 0 9719243939, email vanghat@gmail.com
Thank You DKG. I spoke to Mr Ghosh, he clarified a lot of my queries.

FYI Only dhikala is closed from June 15th to Nov 15th, the rest of the zones are open.

cheers:
Old 9th May 2008, 16:02   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I did notice the Canter and I think its used for day trips. But I don't see why it should matter if you opt for a Gypsy? Unless ofcourse it was a package deal where a Gypsy would have cost you more as opposed to a seat on the Canter. By the way you can drive into Dhikala in your private car too.
As I said we were not given a choice. It seems Riverside didn't want their Gypsy's being used for half a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclectix 1st View Post
Thank You DKG. I spoke to Mr Ghosh, he clarified a lot of my queries.

FYI Only dhikala is closed from June 15th to Nov 15th, the rest of the zones are open.

cheers:
I went to one of the other zones. There was nothing to see. Dhikala was much much better.

Last edited by Rehaan : 28th July 2008 at 04:59. Reason: Please use the MULTIQUOTE button in future. Thanks.
Old 12th May 2008, 17:42   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

Lovely narration and thread. Kudos.

The other zone - Bijrani - is also having possibilities of tiger sighting. I have seen twice but no pictures. One of them was barely 150 meter from Bijrani camp. Here you have the choice of taking your vehicle for day trip with a forest guide or hire a gypsy for the purpose.

The other main gate is Dhanghari gate and from here you go to Dikala. Only those who have night stay permits can take their vehicles. Else you can visit it as a day trip on the canter.

In my few visits I have been lucky to see tigers five times. The best was way back in mid 80's when I could "shoot" one for half an hour till one of the infants started bawling and tiger walked away in to the jungle - if only after giving us a scornful look of irritation for having disturbed him during his "siesta"

There are two more zones (gates) but are rarely used by tourists as they are not tiger country. However if you care about forests they are equally interesting (and rather more aloof) places to stay the night.

@Samurai : This is a trip that I am about to make before 15th June in my GV, just waiting for my son to recover after his knee surgery. But I will not be able to match DKG's narrative or pictures.
Old 12th May 2008, 19:29   #81
BHPian

Awesome thread. I loved the pics a lot! The narration is also good. It has inspired me to take up this trip whenever I can find time.. and i knkow it will be soon enough.

I'm planning to take my Cannon Powershot S5 cam which has a 8 mp camera and a 12x optical zoom. Is this a good enough camera to carry with on such trips, especially when you need to take long shots with clarity. This camera's zoom is awesome and very clear and covers things at far distance easily!

Need your suggestions!
Old 13th May 2008, 15:22   #82
BHPian

Jim Corbett is always an unforgettable experience.

Thank you for sharing this awesome experience with us. It also brought back some great memories.

We had been to Corbett National Park exactly four years years ago and had stayed in Sarpdulli (as the name suggests, a place inhabited by snakes - King Cobras at that). There was this lonely government rest house right in the middle of a very dense forest, where they switch the gensets 'ON' just for an hour and a half in the evening, so that you can cook the bare essentials needed for survival. Unfortunately we could not sight the majestic animal during that visit.

But we were very fortunate last year at Ranthambore, where we sighted four tigers (a tigress and her three cubs) during our every single excersion into the forest over two days of stay there.

As for Jim Corbett's books, they are readily available in omnibus form (Jim Carbett Omnibus, Part I and II) at all leading book stores.

I think this is a must read for everyone, not only for the delightful peek into the wild life and Corbett's hair raising experiences, but also for his lucid style of writing. Especially growing kids MUST be exposed to such lovely books.

Last edited by CaAT : 13th May 2008 at 15:23.
Old 14th May 2008, 22:13   #83
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
@Samurai : This is a trip that I am about to make before 15th June in my GV, just waiting for my son to recover after his knee surgery.
I deeply enjoyed your other travelogues and was delighted to note you use your GV as it should be (as does Samurai too). Looking forward to your stories on your Corbett trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by saleem_k View Post
I'm planning to take my Cannon Powershot S5 cam which has a 8 mp camera and a 12x optical zoom. Is this a good enough camera to carry with on such trips, especially when you need to take long shots with clarity. This camera's zoom is awesome and very clear and covers things at far distance easily!

Need your suggestions!
While my knowledge of cameras and lenses is limited, after my recent visit to Corbett I know for sure you need something upwards of 400 mm to get some great shots up close. Most wildlife is best viewed from a distance as you are not intruding into their space and can observe their natural behaviour. Its so obvious we make ourselves apparent and are a disturbance as we try to get closer for pictures

I wish I could have stayed at a distance as the second tiger lazed in the river with the sun setting. That moment was truly divine, but we ended up disturbing the tiger as we moved closer for a better view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaAT View Post
Jim Corbett is always an unforgettable experience.
Enchanting I'd say, that forest is so intensely beautiful

Quote:
We had been to Corbett National Park exactly four years years ago and had stayed in Sarpdulli (as the name suggests, a place inhabited by snakes - King Cobras at that).
Although I didn't see any I heard a lot of tales about the King Cobra and Pythons too

Quote:
Especially growing kids MUST be exposed to such lovely books.
Couldn't agree with you more, infact they should make it a must read in all schools.
Old 19th May 2008, 16:41   #84
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Mistakenly I may have referred to Mr. Sumanta Ghosh of Tiger Camp as Manager. He is the owner and a much respected wildlife consultant too
Old 9th June 2008, 21:08   #85
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I deeply enjoyed your other travelogues and was delighted to note you use your GV as it should be (as does Samurai too). Looking forward to your stories on your Corbett trip
I did get to Corbett last weekend and although my original intention was to stay at Riverine Lodge, I was disuaded from going there as the river level had risen due to incessant rains in the region.

I was so looking forward to driving up to the lodge in GV and taking some pictures to boot. But that was not to be and also Corbett was chock a block full in view of upcoming closure of the park starting June 15th.

I am posting some pictures on an amazing forest drive that I had in http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-of...ic-places.html

And also I stayed at a gem of place near Nanital about which I have written at chaipakoda.in pangot revisited
I guess Corbett will have to wait.
Old 10th June 2008, 09:56   #86
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
I am posting some pictures on an amazing forest drive that I had in http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-of...ic-places.html

And also I stayed at a gem of place near Nanital about which I have written at chaipakoda.in pangot revisited
I guess Corbett will have to wait.
The place looks divine after the rains.

That one shot of a valley at Sariatal is magical, and the flowers in Kashmir!! Beautiful

It really is so wonderful that you and family explore the countryside together. I think these experiences form an integral and treasured part of the bond between people
Old 10th June 2008, 10:46   #87
BHPian

U r one lucky dude to have 3 sightings in Corbett at such a short span of time, I am totaly into wildlife photography and believe me this can only happen in Bandhavgarh where the tiger/ sq km or the tiger density is maximum. And your naration is wonderful
Old 11th June 2008, 12:31   #88
Senior - BHPian

Oh man lucky you , It took me almost ten trips to places like Bandipur , Nagarhole, kabini, Periyar , Mudumalai, Muthodi and other places to finally land myself a tiger sighting at BR hills Jungle Lodges resort. and the feeling of seeing a tiger from an open top jeep is just as you explained.

Your narration skiils are also very nice andthe pictures almost transported me to Corbett.
Old 12th November 2009, 00:20   #89
Team-BHP Support

A bump for a superb travelogue. Good one DKG.

manson.
Old 12th November 2009, 01:06   #90
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Manson for bumping this thread up. I saw it last year but lost sight of it. Now I know where to go this summer!

Thanks DKG for those lovely pictures and write up. I shall call Mr. Ghosh sometime soon. I agree with you trees are lovely and the sounds of the insects and animals are amazing. In the forest one is both calmed and alert at the same time. A totally refreshing experience.

Tourism would be welcome as long as it is disciplined tourim.

Cheers,

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks