Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2018, 20:34   #511
Senior - BHPian

Re: Delhi-Kolkata by Road | NH2 (now called NH19) in full detail

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Back on the road, driving from Kolkata to Delhi, in a Thar this Monday-Tuesday (20-21 August).
Thought you were flying in and out.

Thar: colour change?

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2018, 17:43   #512
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Thought you were flying in and out.
Flew in but drove back.

Since I pioneered travelling by car on this road, I guess I have a duty of sorts to travel the stretch and verify for myself how things are progressing / deteriorating!

This is probably the worst state of at least 50% of the road that I've seen in many years, both surface-wise as well as bottlenecks-wise. One would have thought things would get better over the years, but sadly, it is much much worse than just 1-2 years ago. But I suppose the NHAI doesn't read Team-BHP, and even if they do, they couldn't be bothered with stopping toll collection despite the terrible state of the road.
SS-Traveller is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st August 2018, 23:55   #513
BHPian

I travelled up to Varanasi by this road on the night of 13th of this month. Since my destination was Lucknow, I initially thought of reaching the Allahabad bypass and to take a right turn from there, as was suggested by Google. Luckily I had some discussion with Samba the night before I left. He informed me that just a few days earlier some travellers had a real good time wasted due to horrible traffic jams in between Varanasi and Allahabad on that route. He suggested that I only drive up to Varanasi and take the Machlishahar-Raeberrily route from there. Now I am feeling lucky and remaining thankful to him. Here are also two pictures of the route I took instead to reach Lucknow from Varanasi.
Delhi-Kolkata by Road | NH2 (now called NH19) in full detail-dsc_0074.jpg

Delhi-Kolkata by Road | NH2 (now called NH19) in full detail-dsc_0097.jpg

Regards,
Rahul Biswas,
Calcutta.

Last edited by rahul4640 : 1st September 2018 at 00:00.
rahul4640 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th September 2018, 16:34   #514
BHPian

Hello all, I am planning to drive from Kolkata to Lucknow in the Durga Puja time, however will be starting at night and planned for lucknow in late afternoon or early evening. Can anyone tell me weather the trucks are prohibited during the Durga Puja time like in West Bengal?
Old 24th September 2018, 16:46   #515
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVK Rider View Post
Hello all, I am planning to drive from Kolkata to Lucknow in the Durga Puja time, however will be starting at night and planned for lucknow in late afternoon or early evening. Can anyone tell me weather the trucks are prohibited during the Durga Puja time like in West Bengal?
Nice! Have a great trip in your new car!

Your query is not clear... Prohibition of trucks in which area?
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2018, 17:13   #516
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Nice! Have a great trip in your new car!

Your query is not clear... Prohibition of trucks in which area?
Thanks a lot Dada. Prohibition of Trucks in UP / Bihar area.
In West Bengal last 2 years have seen trucks were prohibited during the puja times. I wanted to know weather its the same in UP/Bihar stretch or not.
SVK Rider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2018, 08:43   #517
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I wanted to know weather its the same in UP/Bihar stretch or not.
No, generally the highways of UP/Bihar are less congested during the Navratri period.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2018, 16:57   #518
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul4640 View Post
I travelled up to Varanasi by this road on the night of 13th of this month. Since my destination was Lucknow, I initially thought of reaching the Allahabad bypass and to take a right turn from there, as was suggested by Google. Luckily I had some discussion with Samba the night before I left. He informed me that just a few days earlier some travellers had a real good time wasted due to horrible traffic jams in between Varanasi and Allahabad on that route. He suggested that I only drive up to Varanasi and take the Machlishahar-Raeberrily route from there.

Calcutta.
Can you please share a map direction of the route? it will helpful.
Thanks in advance.
Old 4th October 2018, 23:37   #519
BHPian

Quote:
Can you please share a map direction of the route? it will helpful. Thanks in advance.
Route was very simple but you should remember that it was the month of Sawan and the Kanwar pilgrims kept most of the main highway busy that time. Otherwise the most popular route to Lucknow is to travel up to Allahabad and turn right from there. But in case you someway choose to take this route, go up to Babatpur, do not enter the airport area and instead take the left road from there. Please remember to skip Jaunpur town, to skip the city traffic.
This is possibly the exact route which I took. The road surface was good, though a large portion of it was a two lane road (though having toll).
rahul4640 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2018, 10:57   #520
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I travelled up to Varanasi by this road on the night of 13th of this month. Since my destination was Lucknow, I initially thought of reaching the Allahabad bypass and to take a right turn from there, as was suggested by Google. Luckily I had some discussion with Samba the night before I left. He informed me that just a few days earlier some travellers had a real good time wasted due to horrible traffic jams in between Varanasi and Allahabad on that route. He suggested that I only drive up to Varanasi and take the Machlishahar-Raeberrily route from there. Now I am feeling lucky and remaining thankful to him. Here are also two pictures of the route I took instead to reach Lucknow from Varanasi.

Regards,
Rahul Biswas,
Calcutta.
I ended up in the massive traffic snarl between Varanasi and Allahabad bypass on 1st Oct 2018. I was headed to Lucknow as well, and went ahead with what G Maps suggested. Luckily I was on my motorcycle, so I could negotiate the traffic through the diversions but still it was a nightmare of a ride !

It was too dusty and humid plus the truck traffic only added to the pain.

The next day, I took the Lucknow - Agra Expressway on my way to NCR. This was such a pleasant stretch of road - excellent surface, elevated and fenced - absolutely no drama. I was elated riding on the lovely 300+ kms stretch.

Here's one pic I clicked on the Lucknow - Agra Expressway :
Attached Thumbnails
Delhi-Kolkata by Road | NH2 (now called NH19) in full detail-img_5088.jpg  

//M is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th October 2018, 12:19   #521
BHPian

Quote:
Route was very simple but you should remember that it was the month of Sawan and the Kanwar pilgrims kept most of the main highway busy that time. possibly the exact route which I took. The road surface was good, though a large portion of it was a two lane road (though having toll).
Thanks a lot. I think I will be taking this route only. Recent days huge traffic is reported by almost everyone I know who have traveled in that stretch in last few months.
SVK Rider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2018, 13:07   #522
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
I ended up in the massive traffic snarl between Varanasi and Allahabad bypass on 1st Oct 2018.
Talking about traffic on the Allahabad - Varanasi bypass, I was stuck couple of years before too and the reason was 2 tiny toll booths for this bypass which had created a snarl for more than 2 kms.

Apart from this, we crossed the bypass during school hours and at many intersections near Varanasi, we had too many school buses crisscrossing the highway in all directions blocking regular movement that resulted in jams too.

Here's one image from that drive:

Delhi-Kolkata by Road | NH2 (now called NH19) in full detail-1385858_10151752086514998_1251544064_n.jpg

This was in total contrast to another drive exactly 1 year before where the bypass itself was in perfect shape (new) and no chaos anywhere that this really surprised us.

How is the bypass holding today, with respect to the road conditions and the traffic snarls like this?
Old 5th October 2018, 16:41   #523
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
How is the bypass holding today, with respect to the road conditions and the traffic snarls like this?
The Allahabad bypass is well-marked and is in a pretty good shape.

But there are plenty of diversions in the entire stretch between Varanasi and the Allahabad bypass due to flyover constructions through most villages plus some road repair work. This will be a great stretch to drive on maybe 4 years down the line. However in its current state, this is a nightmare best avoided.
//M is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2018, 16:37   #524
BHPian

I am travelling on 13th or 14 from Dhanbad to Varanasi and next day to Lucknow. I had also asked the same query in another thread and was directed here.
Last year when I traveled in October, there were too many road diversions and bridge constructions. I have few specific question for both Routes
1> what is present state of constructions till Varanasi? I am doing yearly trip to Lucknow since last 5 years and the road has been in same bad shape from Bihar till Varanasi except few sections.
2> Varanasi Lucknow via Sultanpur is presently under expansion and hence been advised to avoid it.
3> I have faced small jams both ways when entering and exiting Allahabad bypass for Rae Bareilly. Has it become very bad now? Any particular time in day I can hope to escape this jam? Any other road option from Varanasi to Lucknow?
Regards
Old 22nd October 2018, 12:08   #525
BHPian

Friends I have completed my Road trip from Dhanbad to Lucknow Via Varanasi.

Here is my latest input about road conditions,

Road uptill Saharasa is fine, newly paved at few places. (I went last year in October). Huge jam at Saharsa due to inefficient Toll management. Went through city and joined highway just before Toll and again got struck for 15 mins. Total time lost was 30 mins.

After saharsa there are bridges which are not finished and no work seems to be going on. 14 nos to be precise. Every such area is a bottle neck, slows down traffic.

From Varanasi I tool Machi Shahar road. Except few minor Jams it was smooth till Lucknow.
While coming back I took other route via Raebareilly and Allahabad bypass. It was going well till I reached Handia and next 90 kms till Varanasi was covered in 3 hrs due to ongoing construction of Bridges and poor traffic management.
From Varanasi I left early at 4 Am to avoid jam and was happy as I cruised comfortably till home. My S- Cross also was happy on the last stretch of 420 kms and returned 25+ milage with AC

Last edited by drsnt : 22nd October 2018 at 12:10.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks