Bangalore to Leh in two Gypsy's- covered 8000 KM in 18 days-s24.jpg

Bangalore to Leh in two Gypsy's- covered 8000 KM in 18 days-s25.jpg

Bangalore to Leh in two Gypsy's- covered 8000 KM in 18 days-s26.jpg
Old 14th September 2009, 21:10   #182
Senior - BHPian

So you guys have been using those short-cuts to skip the long windy roads is it
Old 14th September 2009, 21:13   #183
Senior - BHPian

Great pics, did take some of these when i was there.

You guys were lucky since it was 2 of you. I had no partner gypsy so had to hold myself back at many locations.
Old 14th September 2009, 21:36   #184
Sha
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
So you guys have been using those short-cuts to skip the long windy roads is it
Yes, where ever we found offroad track we drove, what is the point having Gypsy not trying it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec View Post
Great pics, did take some of these when i was there.

You guys were lucky since it was 2 of you. I had no partner gypsy so had to hold myself back at many locations.
Thanks, more credit goes to my friend Rajesh who took all photos.
Where is the report KSM? atleast some photos, i know it take some time to get ride hangover.

More Photos....

Bangalore to Leh in two Gypsy's- covered 8000 KM in 18 days-s27.jpg

Bangalore to Leh in two Gypsy's- covered 8000 KM in 18 days-s28.jpg

Bangalore to Leh in two Gypsy's- covered 8000 KM in 18 days-s29.jpg

Bangalore to Leh in two Gypsy's- covered 8000 KM in 18 days-s30.jpg

Bangalore to Leh in two Gypsy's- covered 8000 KM in 18 days-s31.jpg

Bangalore to Leh in two Gypsy's- covered 8000 KM in 18 days-s32.jpg

Bangalore to Leh in two Gypsy's- covered 8000 KM in 18 days-s33.jpg

Bangalore to Leh in two Gypsy's- covered 8000 KM in 18 days-s34.jpg

Bangalore to Leh in two Gypsy's- covered 8000 KM in 18 days-s35.jpg

Bangalore to Leh in two Gypsy's- covered 8000 KM in 18 days-s36.jpg

Bangalore to Leh in two Gypsy's- covered 8000 KM in 18 days-s37.jpg

Bangalore to Leh in two Gypsy's- covered 8000 KM in 18 days-s38.jpg

Bangalore to Leh in two Gypsy's- covered 8000 KM in 18 days-s39.jpg

Bangalore to Leh in two Gypsy's- covered 8000 KM in 18 days-s40.jpg

Bangalore to Leh in two Gypsy's- covered 8000 KM in 18 days-s41.jpg

Bangalore to Leh in two Gypsy's- covered 8000 KM in 18 days-s42.jpg

Bangalore to Leh in two Gypsy's- covered 8000 KM in 18 days-s43.jpg

Bangalore to Leh in two Gypsy's- covered 8000 KM in 18 days-s44.jpg

Bangalore to Leh in two Gypsy's- covered 8000 KM in 18 days-s45.jpg

Bangalore to Leh in two Gypsy's- covered 8000 KM in 18 days-s46.jpg

Bangalore to Leh in two Gypsy's- covered 8000 KM in 18 days-s47.jpg

Bangalore to Leh in two Gypsy's- covered 8000 KM in 18 days-s48.jpg

Bangalore to Leh in two Gypsy's- covered 8000 KM in 18 days-s49.jpg

Bangalore to Leh in two Gypsy's- covered 8000 KM in 18 days-s50.jpg
Old 14th September 2009, 22:46   #185
BHPian

Dear Sha,

these gypsies look so cool off the road. looks like you guys had lot of fun.
1. I can see a petrol can holder in only one of the Gypsies. Were you guys carrying only one extra can?

2. I have been told by some gypsy drivers that a spare wheel on rear door is not a suitable position as the rear door hinges will be affected in long run. So, most of the sarkari gypsy have it under the rear end. What is your experience on this issue?

3. Did you actually use those extra lights one the top anywhere on the trip? Do you think they are required on such a journey?

4. Did you carry a tow rope? I have a 3 mtr. nylon tow rope (with D shackle on either end) in my car. Do you think this is long enough during such a journey?

Last edited by wanderhermit : 14th September 2009 at 22:49.
Old 14th September 2009, 23:14   #186
Sha
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderhermit View Post
Dear Sha,

these gypsies look so cool off the road. looks like you guys had lot of fun.
1. I can see a petrol can holder in only one of the Gypsies. Were you guys carrying only one extra can?

2. I have been told by some gypsy drivers that a spare wheel on rear door is not a suitable position as the rear door hinges will be affected in long run. So, most of the sarkari gypsy have it under the rear end. What is your experience on this issue?

3. Did you actually use those extra lights one the top anywhere on the trip? Do you think they are required on such a journey?

4. Did you carry a tow rope? I have a 3 mtr. nylon tow rope (with D shackle on either end) in my car. Do you think this is long enough during such a journey?
1. 2 jerry cans per vehicle we were carrying, Mine I had kept inside.
2. So far nothing happened but Swastikviji Gypsy had fixed jerry can and spare tyre in one frame which is fixed from chasis, In long term need to be checked.
3. We did not use anywhere in Ladakh trip , for safer side at least fog lights is must for longer trip.
4. Offcourse we had carried it's must in Himalaya trip.Carry atleast 5-7 metre tow rope.
Old 14th September 2009, 23:49   #187
BHPian

Gypsies look great in that raw Himalayan background. All photos got an air of serious expedition.
White painted grill on Swastikviji's gypsy got a solid look.
Old 15th September 2009, 01:19   #188
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sha View Post
1. 2 jerry cans per vehicle we were carrying, Mine I had kept inside.
well, i was planning to have just one of these installed. And now your set-up has got me thinking.

Did you actually got to use the second one, or is one jerry can sufficient? i plan to cover similar route. Did you install the can in army-style can-holder behind the driver seat? and what was the size of can in liters? Did you fill them up to the brim?

As per your suggestion, I will upgrade the tow rope and install fog lamps. Thanks for sharing this info, bro. This vital stuff can be life saver. Is there any other thing that needs to be taken care of during such journey. I would not be having a luxury of a back-up/second car during the trip. And those passes can be harsh in October. Also, I will be driving all alone. So i guess its better to prepared and learn from experienced offroaders like you guys.

One more thing, did you ever need the extra spare tyre you guys were carrying. I saw them in one the earlier pics on top of the drivers hoods. It not there in these pics near gata loops. I have talked to my tyre guy and he is willing to give me one for the trip. No extra cost. Although it will take a bit of space at the rear. But since I am alone, space is not the issue either. Do you think its a good idea to carry the sixth tyre?

Last edited by wanderhermit : 15th September 2009 at 01:37.
Old 15th September 2009, 09:53   #189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I will be driving all alone. So i guess its better to prepared and learn from experienced offroaders like you guys.
Well try and take whatever you can think off and can afford to.

I had most tools and essential spares with me. BTW i got back home(6k kms) without even a single flat tyre....but you never know.

When are you leaving??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sha View Post
Yes, where ever we found offroad track we drove, what is the point having Gypsy not trying it.

Thanks, more credit goes to my friend Rajesh who took all photos.
Where is the report KSM? atleast some photos, i know it take some time to get ride hangover.
Will start posting soon. sorry for the delay.
Old 15th September 2009, 13:22   #190
BHPian

Wonderful narration sha.... your gypsy rocks..TN-23 Vellore huh.
Brother i just need your advise on my trip to Leh. I am planning to take my Indica Xeta 2006 model for this great expedition.I have seen so many people saying it will not workout since it has a low GC.Since you are experienced i would like your thoughts on the same.
Thanks
Old 15th September 2009, 14:15   #191
Senior - BHPian

I just read the entire thread in one ago. It was enthralling. Cant wait to hear more.
Old 16th September 2009, 00:09   #192
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec View Post
I had most tools and essential spares with me. BTW i got back home(6k kms) without even a single flat tyre....but you never know.

When are you leaving??

Will start posting soon. sorry for the delay.

Vtec,

Dude i think i need to elaborate my abilities (rather inabilities) clearly. I have no relation to tools and DIY stuff. Since this is my first trip all alone, I need to know exactly what is included in essential spares and tool kit. BTW i have bought an additional hose pipe set and a shovel plus a tow rope. In toolkit section, I just have one pannier provided by Maruti for the tyres.

And I do agree with others. You do need to start with your story. At least post the iternary and few pics to start with.
Old 16th September 2009, 07:24   #193
Senior - BHPian

all the pictures are fabulous , one question though ,the gata loop picture the terrain looks like the one whcih a skilled FWD car with good GC can handle with some skillful drving , didi you guys have to use your 4x4 on this climb ? from the pictures the gardient looks tame enough that why i was asking , so dont flame me as i have not seen the place in person.
Old 16th September 2009, 20:04   #194
Sha
BHPian

Quote:
Did you actually got to use the second one, or is one jerry can sufficient? i plan to cover similar route. Did you install the can in army-style can-holder behind the driver seat? and what was the size of can in liters? Did you fill them up to the brim?

As per your suggestion, I will upgrade the tow rope and install fog lamps. Thanks for sharing this info, bro. This vital stuff can be life saver. Is there any other thing that needs to be taken care of during such journey. I would not be having a luxury of a back-up/second car during the trip. And those passes can be harsh in October. Also, I will be driving all alone. So i guess its better to prepared and learn from experienced offroaders like you guys.

One more thing, did you ever need the extra spare tyre you guys were carrying. I saw them in one the earlier pics on top of the drivers hoods. It not there in these pics near gata loops. I have talked to my tyre guy and he is willing to give me one for the trip. No extra cost. Although it will take a bit of space at the rear. But since I am alone, space is not the issue either. Do you think its a good idea to carry the sixth tyre?
About jerry can it depends on which vehicle are you taking, We took 2 jerry can because at one stretch we had to travel around 500-600KM thats why, but one jerry can is mandatory for ladakh trip. Mine was leaking and smell in higher areas will make uncomfortable in driving so better take good one.
About tyres one is enough if its tubeless just carry puncture kit and air compressor, if you have space then there is no harm in carry extra tyre.
october 15th i guess all dabhas will be vacating so better plan accordingly. It all depends on which vehicle you are traveling let me know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherlover View Post
Wonderful narration sha.... your gypsy rocks..TN-23 Vellore huh.
Brother i just need your advise on my trip to Leh. I am planning to take my Indica Xeta 2006 model for this great expedition.I have seen so many people saying it will not workout since it has a low GC.Since you are experienced i would like your thoughts on the same.
Thanks
I do not know what GC of Xeta is but I have seen Santro,800, alto, corolla, SX4 doing this trip so definately Xeta will also go it depends on driver skill. If it's not Gypsy I would have taken my Swift, TBHP members have done in swift and esteem so Xeta will go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellstar View Post
all the pictures are fabulous , one question though ,the gata loop picture the terrain looks like the one whcih a skilled FWD car with good GC can handle with some skillful drving , didi you guys have to use your 4x4 on this climb ? from the pictures the gardient looks tame enough that why i was asking , so dont flame me as i have not seen the place in person.
From the Picture even to me it looks easy gradient but its not we had to use 4x4 to climb, from my experience 2WD vehicle climbing up is not possible unless he can do it in momentum but length of track is long so its difficult to do in 2WD.
Old 16th September 2009, 21:46   #195
BHPian

Awesome pics, Sha. Real adventure you guys had.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks