Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2009, 09:55   #196
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sha View Post
From the Picture even to me it looks easy gradient but its not we had to use 4x4 to climb, from my experience 2WD vehicle climbing up is not possible unless he can do it in momentum but length of track is long so its difficult to do in 2WD.
+1 to that. Coupled with the steepness there are 2 problems.
Its part gravel, which means very slippery, and secondly lots of rocks big to small dot the track. So if you go gung ho you will be left with just the steering wheel in your hands.
So you need to crawl and for that you need low ratio.
Old 17th September 2009, 10:12   #197
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
+1 to that. Coupled with the steepness there are 2 problems.
Its part gravel, which means very slippery, and secondly lots of rocks big to small dot the track. So if you go gung ho you will be left with just the steering wheel in your hands.
So you need to crawl and for that you need low ratio.
yes , i know the gravel is extra slippery but i still think with some expertise and skilful driving one can make it, gotta see this place in person to make it out . I know its debatable but lets leave it at that.

Does the situation change if the vehicle in question is an AWD sedan ?
Old 17th September 2009, 10:22   #198
Senior - BHPian

take whatever you can. i got all my spare on returnable basis. hence i took whever the guy was willing to give me.

1. All oils
2. All belts
3. All Hose pipes
4. All fuses
5. Some wire
6. As many sapnners as possible
7. Puncture repair kit
8. Battery light
9. Insulation tape
10.Head light bulbs.....

will list out more soon.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderhermit View Post
Vtec,

Dude i think i need to elaborate my abilities (rather inabilities) clearly. I have no relation to tools and DIY stuff. Since this is my first trip all alone, I need to know exactly what is included in essential spares and tool kit. BTW i have bought an additional hose pipe set and a shovel plus a tow rope. In toolkit section, I just have one pannier provided by Maruti for the tyres.

And I do agree with others. You do need to start with your story. At least post the iternary and few pics to start with.
Old 17th September 2009, 10:26   #199
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellstar View Post
yes , i know the gravel is extra slippery but i still think with some expertise and skilful driving one can make it, gotta see this place in person to make it out . I know its debatable but lets leave it at that.

See the problem is not just slippery gravel. Normally a 2WD or a AWD will make it.
But if you have a steep slope where you cannot cross more than 5kmph? Unless you have an engine which can do 30 degree incline at idle speeds, you will need to slip clutch.
Even while crawling, the foot boards hit rocks quite a few times.
Many times I had to choose whether to hit the rocks on undercarriage or footboard.
AWD sedan? If you do not mind ripping out undercarriage with sharp rocks, and are okay going gung ho over rocks, its okay.
Old 17th September 2009, 13:23   #200
Sha
BHPian

Quote:

If AWD vehicles has low ratio gear it will climb.

Bangalore to Leh in two Gypsy's- covered 8000 KM in 18 days-s44.jpg

From the picture it looks very easy but I had to do in 1st low for full stretch. One more important point at higher altitude oxygen is less.
Old 17th September 2009, 13:53   #201
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If AWD vehicles has low ratio gear it will climb.

Attachment 193075

From the picture it looks very easy but I had to do in 1st low for full stretch. One more important point at higher altitude oxygen is less.

the new gen CRDI / MPFI engines handles the lack of oxygen pretty well i guess compared to the older gen engines.

I dunno if the AWD vehicles have a low gear ratio .
Old 17th September 2009, 14:08   #202
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
the new gen CRDI / MPFI engines handles the lack of oxygen pretty well i guess compared to the older gen engines.

Turbo charged vehicles handle altitudes better. MPFI without turbos will still suffer.
Old 17th September 2009, 14:17   #203
Distinguished - BHPian

My GV is AWD and low gear ratio too! And it was fun climbing these tracks. I agree with tsk1979 that some times it is choice between devil and deep blue sea. But what the heck if you are not going to enjoy you might as well stay home or fly to Leh!
Old 17th September 2009, 14:35   #204
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
But what the heck if you are not going to enjoy you might as well stay home or fly to Leh!
+1 to that, exactly the way I feel too.
Old 17th September 2009, 16:11   #205
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My GV is AWD and low gear ratio too! And it was fun climbing these tracks. I agree with tsk1979 that some times it is choice between devil and deep blue sea. But what the heck if you are not going to enjoy you might as well stay home or fly to Leh!
completely agree with you and TSK on that .
Old 17th September 2009, 16:37   #206
Senior - BHPian

+1 on what Sha, TSK & Sudev have said.

Will i have very little exposure on the 4X4 side but from the Ladakh POV i must say that what Sha has said matters the most and one will not realise that until he experiences it. Even with a modern car.

Quote:
One more important point at higher altitude oxygen is less.
Quote:

@ sudev - +1 on that and Congrats on the 100k.
Old 17th September 2009, 22:34   #207
BHPian

Quote:

1. I don't think MPFI engines have oxygen sensors. You have to be there to experience it. But I agree that MPFI's are able to handle these situations much better than earlier carburetored ones. If the car does not have aturbo, FI system can adjust the fuel mixture by making it leaner. And it does work.

2. I think you what you need to keep in mind here is that these guys deliberately took an offroad trail on these loops. Maybe because they had Gypsies and also they are extreme offroaders. If you have a 2wd or a low GC AWD, you can still do these loops the normal way. i. e., the road. You don't have to offroad here as Sha did in his Gypsy. And believe me, you won't miss offroading much. Manali-Leh road is one big offroad trail.

Last edited by wanderhermit : 17th September 2009 at 22:42.
Old 18th September 2009, 05:59   #208
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderhermit View Post
1. I don't think MPFI engines have oxygen sensors.
Yep they do and based on inputs the ECM adjusts the fuel injection.

Quote:
If you have a 2wd or a low GC AWD, you can still do these loops the normal way. i. e., the road. You don't have to offroad here as Sha did in his Gypsy. And believe me, you won't miss offroading much. Manali-Leh road is one big offroad trail.
Yes to that all the way but 2WD can use the loops downhill just to add to the adventure. If you feel up to it. Otherwise as you said the whole trip is one big adventure.

The biggest and most challenging of all short cuts is the one down Tanglang La. Even going downhill is scary and what you do not realise is that mid way most of the times there is ice/slush that adds to the "white knuckles and bottom less pit in the stomach" feeling. Not for in-experienced.
Old 18th September 2009, 21:59   #209
BHPian

Quote:
Yep they do and based on inputs the ECM adjusts the fuel injection.

Yes to that all the way but 2WD can use the loops downhill just to add to the adventure. If you feel up to it. Otherwise as you said the whole trip is one big adventure.

The biggest and most challenging of all short cuts is the one down Tanglang La. Even going downhill is scary and what you do not realise is that mid way most of the times there is ice/slush that adds to the "white knuckles and bottom less pit in the stomach" feeling. Not for in-experienced.
Of all the Las, I think Tanglanga is one of the most challenging. And doing Tanglang La is one thing.

Tanglang La in snow and ice is another.

And shortcut on Tanglang La during snow/ slush/ice in my view is sure shortcut to heaven.

And to describe that feeling, i think it would be like 'shitting in pants'.
Old 18th September 2009, 22:11   #210
BHPian

Mumbai to Udaipur

What time did you reach Udaipur? I will be travelling your route on Oct 1st and intend similar pitstops- first time I will be travelling North and my concern was the pitstop btw Mumbai and Jaipur, you think it would be possible to touch Jaipur in one day?

Driving a Swift D.

Also-I need to keep the toll fee also in mind, do you recall how much you had to pay in tolls from B'lore to Leh? I'm fearing it will be close to 5K up and down

Quote:
Day-2 Pune to Udaipur

Route: Pune, Thane-Ghodbunder road, Vapi, Ankleshwar, Surat, Ahemdabad(NE-1 Expressway), Udaipur(near border checkpost)
Fuel Stops: Shell Bunk at Pune, HP at Ankleshwar
Night Stay: before Udaipur, hotel Kingfisher Palace(next to IOC Bunk)

Morning complimentary breakfast tempted us to leave at 9 am. Pune Mumbai Expressway is too good to drive with scenery. Crossing mumbai was easy without any fuss thanks to HVKumar log. One think we noticed in Mumbai marking signs are directionless particularly at flyovers need to be careful. Huge traffic jam at opposite side about 5 KM long but our side smooth drive till Ankleshwar, from here traffic jam due to flyover constructions. NE-1 Expressway is too good to drive its straight line, missed sardar patel ring road exit and had to enter Ahemdabad city ring road time lost 25 min. Stayed at kingfisher hotel before udaipur(50KM) next IOC bunk.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 18th September 2009 at 22:16. Reason: Quote fixed

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks