Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2017, 09:56   #106
Senior - BHPian

Re: Kaas (Maharashtra) -The Plateau of flowers

Getting up early in morning and making sure that everyone is ready and in the car, seated, in itself is a project, to have it successfully implemented can definitely be termed as a successful deployment. In our case, the deployment was off the track by 38 minutes. So by 3:38 am we were all seated in the car, including my daughter who had brought her PG bag too(not too sure though as to what all she had packed inside). The journey towards the Kaas was definitely exciting for me for two reasons : (1) This is the first time I am taking my family in our car where I am the only driver and (2) if successful, in terms of driving, then future trips are pre-approved from high command.

Other than the sudden onset of fog for a few kilometers before Satara and the presence of caterpillar families on the lush green carpet, the trip was uneventful. This is the very place where you have families of caterpillars keeping the vigil. Take every possible precaution if there is a sudden desire to venture out amongst the greenness.

Kaas (Maharashtra) -The Plateau of flowers-1.jpg

The onward trip towards the location is surrounded by mist and fog. Also on the 10th, possibly there was marathon organised as we came across huge presence of enthusiastic participants and traffic constables. We had to ask the constables a few times for the directions and they have been very helpful and co-operative. Just before you get entry into the Kaas Plateau, there is a diversion, One heading towards the Kaas valley of flowers and the other towards the GhataDevi Mandir. We were required to stop our cars at this point as we had reached before 7AM. A point worth mentioning here is that online booking of tickets were not possible as the site was not functioning as expected, but tickets could be bought at site at the rate of 100 rupees per head. Yesterday, there were no parking or guide charges. Infact, while coming back towards the parking, the Tempo driver did not charge anything as well. The security guards informed that the current approved headcount has been reduced to 2000 per day from the earlier approved 3000. Could not verify though.

After waiting till approx 7:05 AM, we were allowed to proceed towards the ticket counters in our cars, pay the respective amount and then head straight towards the parking. Passengers may get off their cars at this point but the person driving the car needs to go all the way towards the parking space and come back. No vehicles are allowed to park on the road side. Parking space, from the ticket counter, is approximately 1.5 kilometers (both ways). One has the option to board the Tempos, to come back to the counter (shuttle service), but they will wait till the tempos are filled. We chose to walk back from the parking lot to the counter (a fault in a way as it exhausts the unaccustomed traveler, thats me!)

Parking lot :- Now this needs special mention. The authorities have taken adequate measure to provide provision to park the 4/6 wheeler and as I guess, nothing permanent should be erected to maintain the eco-balance. But to park your car at the spot, one has to roll via a descent which is approximately 30 degrees at the max. This small section is hardly a few meters in length but has pebbles and loose stones all strewn across. The width is sufficient and not a narrow one, as one might assume. Getting down is easy, with the right combination of gears and brakes. But the challenge comes during the ascent, which becomes more with all those jaywalkers right in the middle, left and right, the descending car in the ascending path and the loose pebbles below your wheel. Yes, the authorities have definitely done a commendable job in allocation of space for the vehicles, but we individuals definitely need to understand the concept of being civilized. Infact, after our flower trip, I spent approximately 30 minutes at the local eatery, not relishing the liquid maggi, but trying to understand how other experienced, riders are taking their cars. The bigger ones, which were usually being driven by seasoned drivers seemed to be taking the task easily, with adequate honking and slow speed. The smaller ones were the problems (swift, wagonr etc) Many a times their drivers tend to speed up the ramp, resulting in flying stones, screeching tires, expletives from both parties and the situation prevailed. Probably if the ramp is smoothed, then these issues can be taken care.

Lesson learnt :- Take the ramp in First gear and in minimum possible acceleration making sure that the car does not stop with adequate horn pressed all the time. Still I had an enthusiastic 4 wheeler who planned to come down via my path. Thank God that I was not required to brake (as that's something I still have not picked up properly, starting the car uphill from still position without descending, even my a millimeter) . Anyways, wife has demanded her to be taken again to Kaas again next month, October 7th or 14th and I better improve my uphill driving skills before that. Some helpful pointers would surely be appreciated a lot.

Once, the parking is over, one is required to come to the point of the ticket counter. Now here there is a catch. Basically, there are two sections on either side of the road, where flowers bloom during different periods. While coming from the parking, the first entry point into the Kaas plateau will fall on your left side. If you walk a few meters, then the other entry will fall on your right side (its the ticket counter as well). We entered the plateau via the left side and there the flowers are expected during October. But unfortunately I drained myself completely in this section. While exiting, I noticed few people at a distance and on inquiry, was informed about the other entrance point as well. Flowers in that section are expected in the period between 16th to 24th September. At this time, this second location is better. Also there is a small lake where people can have innumerable options for their respective DPs. Anyways, walking in this particular section, reminded me of Jurassic park. Reason being, we are walking between the metal mesh, and on each side there is the vast open surrounding, depicting the Windows Wallpapers. Nevertheless, the barricades are just for a few meters, post which you are on your own. I did not have the energy to explore all around any further and stayed here with my daughter.

In short, if one is planning to visit in September, then please visit next week and try the location behind the ticket counters first. (where you have yellow metal barricades and people come to you for the tickets). If one is planning to visit in October, then first enter the location that comes first on your left while you are returning from the parking space. Best time of the day to visit this place is 10 AM as that's the time when the flowers start to bloom with sun shine.

A few more images

Kaas (Maharashtra) -The Plateau of flowers-2.jpg

Kaas (Maharashtra) -The Plateau of flowers-3.jpg

Kaas (Maharashtra) -The Plateau of flowers-4.jpg

Kaas (Maharashtra) -The Plateau of flowers-5.jpg

Kaas (Maharashtra) -The Plateau of flowers-6.jpg

Kaas (Maharashtra) -The Plateau of flowers-7.jpg

While returning, we had our lunch at a place called "Hotel Shivani" which served us excellent delicacies, prepared in wood flame. A different taste and an atmosphere altogether. I will upload some more images, after going through the camera.

Hope you like this small description. Please do share your opinions. I would have also loved to meet WheelWake but definitely we were at different ends on the same day.

P.S. :- Team-BHP hoodie was more than sufficient for the entire trip. Infact, while returning I had to take it off.
Majumdarda is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th September 2017, 13:32   #107
BHPian

Hi All,

me back from Kaas as well. Majumdarda has adequately explained the current scenarios for the valley of flowers. just to be bit more precise on few things that may help others,
-they have marked various area and the current where most of the flowers have bloomed is area no 20 which is bit rocky and hence easy to walk without damaging the plants and you also get a view of the valley (which is where we spent last 30 mins just idling).
-Also, like him we spent our initial hour in dismay when we saw the other area where flowers havent bloomed much.
-Ideal time to hit the place is before 8 am and spend the time leisurely till the sun is out (this way you will be ahead of the crowd and have seen it all)
-next to next weekend should be the time the valley would peak (as told by locals)
-we kept asking security/volunteers questions and they were forthcoming and pleasant - and they were lot of them there - very commendable
-parking is on a make shift basis and the ramp and few bordering parking slots being bit tricky for new drivers. (i saw one in rapid difficult to maintain composure when parking in reverse given the slope and cliff behind and just dummy wood to mark as dead end!). here while climbing always use 1st and honk bit liberally, speeding doesnt help
-there was lot of traffic buildup when we left (12 noon) and seems like they were allowing specific number of people/cars based on govt directives

Other Stuff:
we also went to chalkewadi as my kid was more fascinated with windmills and he got to see one from the inside.
Thoseghar falls has less flow as supposedly the route has changed now. Also there are monkeys all around to unnerve city folks :P
SajjanGadh fort is decent and has good view of Satara from its backyard (here you can go with footwear on)
we stayed 15 mins away from the Kaas plateau at a decent and newly built homestay @2300 per night including breakfast and a great view in their backyard - much better than staying in city i believe when the idea is to be away from it

@Majmudarda - great pics man
WheelWake is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2017, 13:50   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelWake View Post
Other Stuff:
we also went to chalkewadi as my kid was more fascinated with windmills and he got to see one from the inside.
Thoseghar falls has less flow as supposedly the route has changed now. Also there are monkeys all around to unnerve city folks :P
SajjanGadh fort is decent and has good view of Satara from its backyard (here you can go with footwear on)
we stayed 15 mins away from the Kaas plateau at a decent and newly built homestay @2300 per night including breakfast and a great view in their backyard - much better than staying in city i believe when the idea is to be away from it

@Majmudarda - great pics man

Thank you WheelWake. My wife has liked this place pretty much and other than the parking, everything calls for a revisit. We again intend to visit next month, to catch the flowers in all their glory. Thank you again for highlighting some more places near Kaas and my order of travel should be Pune, Kaas, Sajjangad fort, Thoseghar falls, Chalkewadi and then back home. I really loved the idea about the walk able forts and windmills ( we saw many enroute). Probably I would have to try on a weekday to avoid the crazy weekend traffic; have been informed that on weekdays there is hardly any crowd and one can have all the time to enjoy nature at its fullest.

While returning we had stopped besides the waterfall and on the other side of the road there was a residence of monkeys, across the steep slope. I will share the image. Sighting the monkeys, in their natural habitat and in such steep slopes is definitely worth a mention.
Majumdarda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2017, 13:59   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majumdarda View Post
Getting up early in morning and making sure that everyone is ready and in the car, seated, in itself is a project, to have it successfully implemented can definitely be termed as a successful deployment. .
Quote:
Hi All, me back from Kaas as well.
Hi Majumdarda and WheelWake,

Thanks for your updates!

I am planning an impromptu trip with family (4 year old daughter and wife) to Kaas (tentatively this Thursday), and had a few questions:

1. Is the online booking mandatory, or can I buy tickets after I reach there?
2. If I start at 6:15- 6:30 AM from Pune (Kothrud), is that early enough?
3. How far is Chalkewadi from Kaas? I'm thinking of clubbing 1 more destination along with Kaas, and was wondering which one would be better - Sajjangad, Bamnoli or Chalkewadi.
4. At what point did you guys exit NH4 to enter Satara on the way to Kaas?

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2017, 14:12   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post

Thanks for your updates!

I am planning an impromptu trip with family (4 year old daughter and wife) to Kaas (tentatively this Thursday), and had a few questions:

Hello Sir, I will answer as per my experience. The online booking is not mandatory. I had interacted with three families yesterday and none had any online booking as the system was not functioning. We had bought the tickets at the venue.

Quote:
If you are travelling on a weekday, better target the slot around 10 AM. I had started in my Kwid around 3:38 AM and was there at the venue around 6:50 AM. Your time slot seems perfect for the 10 AM slot.

Quote:
I stay at Dapodi and took the usual road till the Hinjewadi bridge. From there it was the google map. Once I reached the venue, I asked the traffic cops to ascertain the direction.

https://www.google.co.in/maps/dir/Da...8314!3e0?hl=en

I would keep a close eye on this thread incase some new points also come up for a visit worth clubbing with Kaas.
Majumdarda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2017, 14:34   #111
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I'm thinking of clubbing 1 more destination along with Kaas, and was wondering which one would be better - Sajjangad, Bamnoli or Chalkewadi.
I would say Bamnoli - the boating experience on the Koyna is very enjoyable, not to be missed. Also, it is the continuation of the same road after Kaas Plateau of flowers, about 15Km leading to Bamoli, drive is also extremely scenic.

To visit Chalkewadi you would need to go back towards Satara. I think you can do another trip where you can cover Chalkewadi, Sajjangarh Fort and Thoseghar as they are on the same route.

Last edited by NPV : 11th September 2017 at 14:35.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2017, 14:42   #112
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks for your updates!

3. How far is Chalkewadi from Kaas? I'm thinking of clubbing 1 more destination along with Kaas, and was wondering which one would be better - Sajjangad, Bamnoli or Chalkewadi.

Cheers,
Vikram
Hi Vikram,

Will try to answer them:
well I did online booking (and you need to carry the print out whenever u enter the area - LHS/RHS of the road) but absolutely convenient to buy them there
2. Weekday 10 AM slot looks good but it will get bit sunny around afternoon time so best to carry some water and sun control gear
3.Chalkewadi/thoseghar/sajjangad are on different route (where you turn right for Kaas just before the tunnle, for the former you go under the tunnel and then turn right). the former are other side of a dam than Kaas. time wise Sajjangadh from Kaas will be 1hr+10min for Falls+10mins for windmills. Fort is 100+ step climb (doable for a 4 yr old kid - provided they are in for it), Falls is usual and the flow isnt much. Windmills is what we loved. kid was too excited to see that actually they are huge etc and luckily we went inside as well. we were there just before sunset and was very serene.
4.while entering towards satar i missed powai naka turn(suggested) and entered at a later turn and while coming back the tunnel was blocked so had to move straight through village roads to hit NH4.

Also, if poss go after a week for the flowers to be blooming and do share the pics.

Hope it helps.
WheelWake is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2017, 15:37   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majumdarda View Post
Hello Sir, I will answer as per my experience. .
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
To visit Chalkewadi you would need to go back towards Satara. I think you can do another trip where you can cover Chalkewadi, Sajjangarh Fort and Thoseghar as they are on the same route.
Quote:
Hi Vikram,

Will try to answer them:.......Hope it helps.
Thanks for the prompt answers folks! I think I'll do what NPV and WheelWake suggested, and cover Kaas + Bamnoli next mid-week instead of this Thursday (and keep Sajjangad + Chalkewadi for another time), so that the buds get some more time to bloom Will post a few pics and a short update once I am back.

Thanks again!

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 11th September 2017, 16:23   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the prompt answers folks! I think I'll do what NPV and WheelWake suggested, and cover Kaas + Bamnoli next mid-week instead of this Thursday (and keep Sajjangad + Chalkewadi for another time), so that the buds get some more time to bloom Will post a few pics and a short update once I am back.

Thanks again!

Cheers,
Vikram
Here's your entry point into Satara - https://goo.gl/maps/H332yDg3ZAM2

Landmark: Crowded Jeep showroom on your RHS road and incomplete flyover construction.

Just follow the map. It will take you from this point only. If you stick to weekday that's the best decision. Crowd will be very less. Take plenty of water, its been quite hot past couple of days in Satara.
Dodge_Viper is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2017, 21:41   #115
Senior - BHPian

The remaining pictures [1]

Kaas (Maharashtra) -The Plateau of flowers-img_2806001.jpg

Kaas (Maharashtra) -The Plateau of flowers-img_2808001.jpg

Kaas (Maharashtra) -The Plateau of flowers-img_2812001.jpg

Kaas (Maharashtra) -The Plateau of flowers-img_2819001.jpg

Kaas (Maharashtra) -The Plateau of flowers-img_2820001.jpg

Kaas (Maharashtra) -The Plateau of flowers-img_2838001.jpg

Kaas (Maharashtra) -The Plateau of flowers-img_2839001.jpg

Kaas (Maharashtra) -The Plateau of flowers-img_2843001.jpg

Kaas (Maharashtra) -The Plateau of flowers-img_2849001.jpg

Kaas (Maharashtra) -The Plateau of flowers-img_2853001.jpg

Kaas (Maharashtra) -The Plateau of flowers-img_2857001.jpg

Kaas (Maharashtra) -The Plateau of flowers-img_2858001.jpg

Kaas (Maharashtra) -The Plateau of flowers-img_2859001.jpg

Kaas (Maharashtra) -The Plateau of flowers-img_2863001.jpg

Kaas (Maharashtra) -The Plateau of flowers-img_2868001.jpg

Kaas (Maharashtra) -The Plateau of flowers-img_2869001.jpg

Kaas (Maharashtra) -The Plateau of flowers-img_2870001.jpg

Kaas (Maharashtra) -The Plateau of flowers-img_2889001.jpg

Kaas (Maharashtra) -The Plateau of flowers-img_2902001.jpg

Kaas (Maharashtra) -The Plateau of flowers-img_2906001.jpg

Kaas (Maharashtra) -The Plateau of flowers-img_2907001.jpg

Kaas (Maharashtra) -The Plateau of flowers-img_2910001.jpg

Kaas (Maharashtra) -The Plateau of flowers-img_2911001.jpg

Kaas (Maharashtra) -The Plateau of flowers-img_2914001.jpg

Kaas (Maharashtra) -The Plateau of flowers-img_2917001.jpg

Kaas (Maharashtra) -The Plateau of flowers-img_2918001.jpg

Kaas (Maharashtra) -The Plateau of flowers-img_2925001.jpg

Kaas (Maharashtra) -The Plateau of flowers-img_2926001.jpg

Kaas (Maharashtra) -The Plateau of flowers-img_2930001.jpg

Kaas (Maharashtra) -The Plateau of flowers-img_2931001.jpg
Majumdarda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2017, 21:44   #116
Senior - BHPian

The remaining pictures [2]

Kaas (Maharashtra) -The Plateau of flowers-img_2943001.jpg

Kaas (Maharashtra) -The Plateau of flowers-img_2952001.jpg

Kaas (Maharashtra) -The Plateau of flowers-img_2959001.jpg

Kaas (Maharashtra) -The Plateau of flowers-img_2961001.jpg

Kaas (Maharashtra) -The Plateau of flowers-img_2985001.jpg

Kaas (Maharashtra) -The Plateau of flowers-img_3014001.jpg

Kaas (Maharashtra) -The Plateau of flowers-img_3078001.jpg

Kaas (Maharashtra) -The Plateau of flowers-img_3264001.jpg

Kaas (Maharashtra) -The Plateau of flowers-img_3269001.jpg

Kaas (Maharashtra) -The Plateau of flowers-img_3272001.jpg

Kaas (Maharashtra) -The Plateau of flowers-img_3280001.jpg

Kaas (Maharashtra) -The Plateau of flowers-img_3275001.jpg

Kaas (Maharashtra) -The Plateau of flowers-img_3355001.jpg

Kaas (Maharashtra) -The Plateau of flowers-img_3356001.jpg
Majumdarda is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th September 2017, 12:07   #117
Senior - BHPian

Article about what folks like WheelWake and Majumdarda reported after their recent trips:

http://indianexpress.com/article/cit...-down-4842981/

Now I'm wondering if even next week would be too early or what!

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 14th September 2017 at 12:08.
comfortablynumb is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2017, 13:51   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Article about what folks like WheelWake and Majumdarda reported after their recent trips:

http://indianexpress.com/article/cit...-down-4842981/

Now I'm wondering if even next week would be too early or what!

Cheers,
Vikram
"...The flowers will bloom completely by Dussehra but by that time the grass will be longer. So, flowers spotting will be difficult..." Apparently it seems that the trend has changed. Might be spotting the flowers will be difficult amongst the tall grass, but the plateau with tall grass will look marvelous with blowing winds.
Old 31st July 2018, 10:07   #119

Anyone planning Kaas trip (from Mumbai) in the coming session?
Old 29th September 2021, 11:13   #120
Team-BHP Support

Posting here since this is the most popular Kaas thread.

Visited Kaas plateau yesterday and here's my experience:

1) Booking: https://www.kas.ind.in/booking.php

There are three slots ( 7 - 11am, 11am - 3pm, 3 - 6pm) that you can book on the page above.

2) Logistics: Entry fee is Rs. 20 / car collected about 1.5 kms before the plateau.

There is a huge parking area about a km before the main area; everyone has to park their vehicles there. From here, there are shuttles every few minutes / as crowd builds up to take you to the plateau. Same on the way back. You pay Rs. 20 per kid/adult round trip. These shuttles keep moving between the parking area - Gate 1/2 - Gate 3/4.

That said, you can drop someone in your vehicle and come back, all the way to Gate 3/4 - provided you're not stopping / parking.

I must add, everything is very well organised with staff posted every few hundred metres to guide you and ensure no one is breaking rules.

3) Food: there are stalls for tea at Gate 1/2 and 3/4 and vendors selling buttermilk, cucumber and bhakri all over the trails across the plateau.

4) Guides: there weren't any guides there to talk you through the flowers at the plateau.

5) Now for the main piece, the flowers: Given the changing nature of the monsoon (arriving late, and staying back late), the cycle of the flower blooming seems to be different each year.

While the main blooming is expected ~ mid-Sept (or so I've read), there weren't many beyond a couple of common varieties last weekend. There was rain and thick fog as well.

Kaas (Maharashtra) -The Plateau of flowers-img_6507.jpeg

Kaas (Maharashtra) -The Plateau of flowers-img_6454.jpeg

Kaas (Maharashtra) -The Plateau of flowers-img_6464.jpeg

Kaas (Maharashtra) -The Plateau of flowers-img_6488.jpeg

Kaas (Maharashtra) -The Plateau of flowers-img_6467.jpeg

Kaas (Maharashtra) -The Plateau of flowers-img_6495.jpeg

Last edited by libranof1987 : 29th September 2021 at 11:16.
libranof1987 is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks